PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun and Pistol Running

Boomer38Sooner
9/5/2010, 12:27 AM
To me it seems that KW just kept running plays out of these formations.... We are a better team running from the I or from under center. It also helps with the play action game.

Thoughts?

pappy
9/5/2010, 03:32 AM
Personally I hate it when we line up in the pistol. That being said I thought we ran a very vanilla offense against utah state. It seemed like we only ran about 4 or 5 different pass plays the entire game and our running game for the most part was strictly calls for up the middle running but we got big plays when murray would bust it to the outside. The coaching staff probably assumed we could be vanilla and win in a blowout against Utah State, but they didn't count on the def. making a lot of mental errors and Utah State's defense showing up ready to play.

Hopefully next week we'll open up the playbook a bit more. We'll be fine. The team didn't look very fired up nor focused for this game.

PalmBeachSooner
9/5/2010, 09:30 AM
I agree that the game plan on both sides of the ball was very vanilla. Kinda sad that there were so many mistakes despite the simplicity.

IronHorseSooner
9/5/2010, 09:50 AM
I agree that the game plan on both sides of the ball was very vanilla. Kinda sad that there were so many mistakes despite the simplicity.

It's like we say in the military- "The enemy always has a vote." This and the BSU games are USU's bowl games. They had an entire offseason to prepare for us, and Anderson is supposedly a good defensive coach. This game was an ambush waiting to happen because:

1. We have a lot of young, but talented, guys who read their press clippings.
2. Big name opponent the following game.
3. See my point about USU's coach.

This game may be a blessing in disguise for these youngsters- never overlook an opponent; they have scholarship players and coaches as well.

Crimsontothecore
9/5/2010, 10:06 AM
I'll bet that the USU game won't look so bad at the end of the season. Their QB can play and defensively they are light years ahead of where they were. Anderson can coach and he has them on the right track. With their WAC schedule I'm willing to bet they make a bowl this year since last year they lost 3 games by 4 points or less which was the difference in 4-7 as opposed to 7-4.

JLEW1818
9/5/2010, 10:51 AM
again, the pistol should be shot in the face.

Sooner-N-KS
9/5/2010, 10:53 AM
What's wrong with the Pistol? DM had over 200 yards rushing with a large part of it, if not the majority, out of the Pistol!

JLEW1818
9/5/2010, 10:59 AM
wait till we play a good team.

when we ran the pistol last year, it was just LOL