Collier11
9/5/2010, 12:14 AM
we won, stfu, thats all. :D

agoo758
9/5/2010, 12:23 AM
Didn't feel like a win to me....:(

Collier11
9/5/2010, 12:24 AM
1-0 right, we played a top 25 offense right? Sometimes you have to take a bad win over a bad loss, right, Mississippi?

agoo758
9/5/2010, 12:26 AM
HAHAHA! I SOOOOO can't wait to rewatch that masterpiece when it hits youtube.:D

Collier11
9/5/2010, 12:27 AM
It was ugly, Landry was off, our Oline was off, our Dline was off, our secondary was off, and we won! 1-0 is better than 0-1 right 2009 OU, right?

agoo758
9/5/2010, 12:28 AM
I was referring to the Jacksonville St. game my friend......

Collier11
9/5/2010, 12:29 AM
that to.

meoveryouxinfinity
9/5/2010, 12:31 AM
Landry was way off.

Our defensive woes started with the fact that we couldn't get good pressure on their QB. When we did, he'd just elude the pressure and spin away from 4 tackles and get a first down. He had tons of time to throw which led to major breakdowns in the secondary and our young guys (esp Fleming) being flat out exposed. More times than not Fleming got beat down the sideline.. he was so slow he couldn't turn his head around in time to see the ball coming the WR's way.. We definitely have some kinks to work out on defense. However, I think the bigger problem is on the D-line. Secondary problems seemed to be caused by the D-line problems. Red flag!

SoonerBacker
9/5/2010, 12:32 AM
It was ugly, Landry was off, our Oline was off, our Dline was off, our secondary was off, and we won! 1-0 is better than 0-1 right 2009 OU, right?

^^^^RIGHT ON!^^^^
There were a lot of teams that struggled in their first game against what many thought were far less talented teams. The Sooners will be ok. Sooner fans just need to focus on doing our part next week when the 'Noles come to town. We have got to make that stadium rock and be so loud that we have an impact on the game. The coaches will take care of the things that need to be fixed.

Boomer!!
9/5/2010, 12:48 AM
When we win next week nobody will even be talking about this game. I dont care if we play every game like this as long as we come away with a W at the end.

SoonerGM
9/5/2010, 01:10 AM
agree with OP. we should also take a bit of comfort in the fact that utah state is not quite the cupcake team that other teams faced tonight. at first glance, you look at their 2009 record and laugh, but when you look a bit deeper they had a lot of close losses. borel is actually pretty good!

should we have done better? yup. maybe this will inspire the team though.

Wishboned
9/5/2010, 01:21 AM
It seems like every year we face a highly mobile quarterback who makes the defense look questionable.

The majority of the time it's the exception, and not the rule.

Okie35
9/5/2010, 01:58 AM
Landry was way off.

Our defensive woes started with the fact that we couldn't get good pressure on their QB. When we did, he'd just elude the pressure and spin away from 4 tackles and get a first down. He had tons of time to throw which led to major breakdowns in the secondary and our young guys (esp Fleming) being flat out exposed. More times than not Fleming got beat down the sideline.. he was so slow he couldn't turn his head around in time to see the ball coming the WR's way.. We definitely have some kinks to work out on defense. However, I think the bigger problem is on the D-line. Secondary problems seemed to be caused by the D-line problems. Red flag!

The D-line did get good pressure the fact was they didn't contain on the outside and yes that led to open passes. The problem wasn't the d-line the biggest problem was the penalties, in my opinion. A few of the penalties were the reason why they moved down field. Ponder won't run the ball this is a fact. The secondary does need to get it together though because FSU will throw.

Crimsontothecore
9/5/2010, 08:44 AM
This game is not cause for concern. Two of USU's scoring drives were kept alive by penalties and Landry threw a pick when were ready to score deep in their territory. Take away those three occurrences and the final score is most likely 38-10 in spite of poor execution on our part and nobody is upset.

VA Sooner
9/5/2010, 08:52 AM
Agreed... just the first game to iron out the kinks. Utah State had the number 12 offense last year... it's their defense that couldn't make their record better than 4-8 last year.

This year's defense looked better and they were pretty motivated. Caught us looking but also gave us something to work on this week and not take the FSU game lightly (not that we were... but a little bit of worry is good).

Don't want to look like a second half LSU team sitting back and not producing against a second and third string defense.

Or worse... looking like Ole Miss thinking life is pretty with Masoli on the team now.

Back to work, Boys. Got the 'noles to prepare for and to protect Our House and our home winning streak.

IronHorseSooner
9/5/2010, 09:00 AM
^^ Right here! The roughing penalty was questionable at best, which led to a score, and Wort got too amped up in his first game as a Sooner. People also seem to forget that we didn't have Frank Alexander last night. Another experienced DE would have helped containment. Just see what he did against other mobile QBs in the past (see Zac Robinson in 2008). We keep contain, Borel doesn't have the night he did last night. You can't ask your DBs to go that long in coverage, I don't care who you are.

The strange thing about this is that many of the games that we thought coming into this year that would be easy are against teams with mobile QBs. Folks, USAF, ISU, and Baylor are all like this- they have mobile QBs who can extend a play. Baylor is the most like them in that they, like USU, have track guys on the outside who can get behind defenders.

Some of tougher games are against teams that are either pro-set (FSU, *) or spread (Cincy, Mizzou, A&M, Tech, and OSU). We know EXACTLY what those guys are going to do, and we won't "overlook" them or be reading OUr own press clippings.

PalmBeachSooner
9/5/2010, 09:01 AM
1-0 right, we played a top 25 offense right? Sometimes you have to take a bad win over a bad loss, right, Mississippi?

USU were a top offensive team last year. Will probably be higher this year. Still....though.

soonerloyal
9/5/2010, 09:06 AM
Ponder won't run the ball this is a fact. The secondary does need to get it together though because FSU will throw.

Just taking for granted that FSU coaches won't have Ponder run is short-sighted. I think they'll be analyzing this game tape and adjust accordingly.

IMOO.

IronHorseSooner
9/5/2010, 09:10 AM
Again, I think having a healthy Frank Alexander will help matters a whole lot next week.

delhalew
9/5/2010, 09:51 AM
Well, on the positive side Ronnell did knock the helmet off of a fool. Wish I had seen that.

Flagstaffsooner
9/5/2010, 09:58 AM
Anyone remember 1977 Vanderbilt?

SoonerBacker
9/5/2010, 10:02 AM
Anyone remember 1975 Kansas?

Mississippi Sooner
9/5/2010, 10:02 AM

I have some friends down here who might have to be put on suicide watch. They are for sure going to catch a lot of hell from the Miss. State fans, especially after the Dogs crushed Memphis.

oudavid1
9/5/2010, 12:28 PM
i guess