PDA

View Full Version : No Reason to Panic

soonerboy
9/4/2010, 11:02 PM
Okay I, just like most people in here have lost years of their life to Oklahoma Football (a couple months off tonight) But I will say that from past experience we should not freak out and abandon this season over one game. We didn't look very good TONIGHT but its a long season and we still have time to mature and get to where we need to be.

noobalicious
9/4/2010, 11:08 PM
Okay I, just like most people in here have lost years of their life to Oklahoma Football (a couple months off tonight) But I will say that from past experience we should not freak out and abandon this season over one game. We didn't look very good TONIGHT but its a long season and we still have time to mature and get to where we need to be.

And, unlike last year, we didn't look good but managed to win. Live to fight another week.

VA Sooner
9/4/2010, 11:10 PM
After my initial panic, I sat down with the computer and reviewed our performance and what Utah State has done in the last few years.

Known as a crummy team for years, second-year head coach brought Utah State 4 wins last year and developed the offense into the number 12 offense in the country, mostly with their senior QB and a balance of running backs and wide receivers who were track stars... very speedy. The weak point of the team was always the defense, who showed up tonight.

Have to say... it was a scare from a previously unknown team, but I wouldn't be surprised if Utah State continues onward and has their first bowl season in a very, very long time. Especially after seeing their performance in Norman and with a hostile home crowd.

I also see this close win as just what we needed to light the fire under the team and get them really motivated for the Seminoles next week.

Dio
9/4/2010, 11:11 PM
Nice kool aid. Wish I had a taste for it

Okie35
9/4/2010, 11:13 PM
After my initial panic, I sat down with the computer and reviewed our performance and what Utah State has done in the last few years.

Known as a crummy team for years, second-year head coach brought Utah State 4 wins last year and developed the offense into the number 12 offense in the country, mostly with their senior QB and a balance of running backs and wide receivers who were track stars... very speedy. The weak point of the team was always the defense, who showed up tonight.

Have to say... it was a scare from a previously unknown team, but I wouldn't be surprised if Utah State continues onward and has their first bowl season in a very, very long time. Especially after seeing their performance in Norman and with a hostile home crowd.

I also see this close win as just what we needed to light the fire under the team and get them really motivated for the Seminoles next week.

Didn't Utah State have the best offense in the WAC last year, despite their record? Borel was actually pretty good last year. Anyway ... We'll play better against FSU, that's a fact.

85sooners
9/4/2010, 11:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhI0OVs_zj0&feature=player_embedded

VA Sooner
9/4/2010, 11:17 PM
WAC player of the year. Fast and worked for the last 2 years as a dual-threat QB but this year, their coach wanted him to throw more and protect his body more so he'll last the entire season. Gave Boise State fits last year in their head-to-head.

Eielson
9/4/2010, 11:23 PM
I didn't see it, but I'm not too concerned about anything except Landry. Defensively it doesn't look too terrible. Giving up 24 points isn't awful, and their quarterback almost threw a year's worth of interceptions tonight. I like our chances this year if Murray can run for 200 yards every game.

tnraider1
9/4/2010, 11:23 PM
I agree. We will not get destryed next week as so many seem to think. Free shoes U still has to come into OUr hOUse and try to break the streak. The pressure is still on them. The Sooners will have a better showing next week. Too early to panic. As pissed as I was watching that game, we will be fine. O-Line still needs to gel, Landry needs to get his head out of his ***, and the DB's played well despite the big plays they gave up. They made some big plays too, and saved the game in the 4th qtr.

Edit: D Line needs to get thougher up the middle too. Beal was the only lineman getting pressue and he fought through double teams all game.

Sooner Among The Pack
9/4/2010, 11:29 PM
I am more concerned about the play of the corners. Fleming was beat on about 7 or 8 routes, several went for long gains and at least one TD. Better thrown balls (by a QB like Ponder) and better athletes at WR (like FSU has) and it's a much worse outcome.

That's my biggest concern. I think Landry will be OK. I think the LB and DL will play better. Secondary...that's my concern.

BoulderSooner79
9/4/2010, 11:30 PM
I didn't see it, but I'm not too concerned about anything except Landry. Defensively it doesn't look too terrible. Giving up 24 points isn't awful, and their quarterback almost threw a year's worth of interceptions tonight. I like our chances this year if Murray can run for 200 yards every game.

Totally agree - I expected LJ to make big leap forward since last year.

BetterSoonerThanLater
9/4/2010, 11:30 PM

thats asking alot. but it sure would be nice

Pricetag
9/4/2010, 11:38 PM
This isn't 2008 yet, it's 2006. Gawd, I hope we don't have Big East refs up in Cincinnati.

Okie35
9/4/2010, 11:41 PM
Totally agree - I expected LJ to make big leap forward since last year.

He'll have a great game next week, quote me( if we can pick up the blitz well)!

This isn't 2008 yet, it's 2006. Gawd, I hope we don't have Big East refs up in Cincinnati.

I hope not either because thats the only chance Cincy will have considering they aren't that good.

Sooner Among The Pack
9/4/2010, 11:42 PM

Murray looked gassed at the end. No way he can carry it 35 times a game. That was about 12-14 touches more than Wilson wanted to give him, but he had to give him the ball. We really need to get a rotation going with Calhoun or Clay because Murray will be hurt by the trip to Dallas if Landry's play forces him to carry it that much the next three weeks.

Okie35
9/4/2010, 11:45 PM
Murray looked gassed at the end. No way he can carry it 35 times a game. That was about 12-14 touches more than Wilson wanted to give him, but he had to give him the ball. We really need to get a rotation going with Calhoun or Clay because Murray will be hurt by the trip to Dallas if Landry's play forces him to carry it that much the next three weeks.

No back really can do that not even in the NFL. They'll be hurt in no time.

ouwasp
9/4/2010, 11:45 PM
you know, if our D lineman (forget which one) hadn't tried to scoop and score... if he'd just fallen on that fumble... Wort doesn't get those two 15 yd drive extending penalties which led to a USU score, gave them Mo...

The Sooners should have been in a pretty good position to put the boot on the neck.

Those little things.

Okie35
9/4/2010, 11:46 PM
you know, if our D lineman (forget which one) hadn't tried to scoop and score... if he'd just fallen on that fumble... Wort doesn't get those two 15 yd drive extending penalties which led to a USU score, gave them Mo...

The Sooners should have been in a pretty good position to put the boot on the neck.

Those little things.

Yup its the little things that will be corrected by next week.

MyT Oklahoma
9/4/2010, 11:50 PM
The Sooners were up 21 points and then let them back into the game. That's what bothers me. Where is the killer instinct of year's past?

BlownGP
9/5/2010, 12:34 AM
The Sooners were up 21 points and then let them back into the game. That's what bothers me. Where is the killer instinct of year's past?

Thats what happens when you lose very good talent on defense.

Looking back at the stats it was a pretty even game. This will sure not be 2008 were we blow teams out..

I really happy with murry tonight, but like said. He cant do it all
We all know his history.

yankee
9/5/2010, 12:42 AM

madu gets back next week. not sure if calhoun or clay unseated madu at the #2 this week in practice, cause they didn't show anything great in the game...then again, their chances were pretty limited.

GKeeper316
9/5/2010, 01:28 AM
if our d stays this undisciplined, air force's triple option will torch us.

Okie35
9/5/2010, 02:09 AM
if our d stays this undisciplined, air force's triple option will torch us.

...... agreed.

Pricetag
9/5/2010, 08:19 AM
you know, if our D lineman (forget which one) hadn't tried to scoop and score...
It's tough to blame a guy for getting fired up and trying to do that, but did you notice he had a cast on the hand he was trying to scoop with?

PalmBeachSooner
9/5/2010, 09:15 AM

Those little things.

It was supposed to be corrected going into this season. It's all they talked about. Eliminating costly mistakes.

I don't know if Walker could have just fallen on the ball. It's hard for a man that big to stop on a dime and drop. There was just too much momentum.

85sooners
9/5/2010, 02:10 PM
:mad:

badger
9/5/2010, 02:12 PM
Forget the panic button. Where's the easy button? I wanna win against nameless opponents by 70, dang it! :mad:

http://solid-orange.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/easy_button.jpg

OK, now to take on... FLORIDA STATE?!?!?! Ahhhhhhhh!

soonerboy_odanorth
9/5/2010, 02:27 PM
Yup its the little things that will be corrected by next week.

I'm sorry, this is a 200-level course, you need to go back to Football 101 or 102. ;)

The whole "a team's biggest improvement is usually from the second to the third game" isn't just a thing to say because it sounds good or like you know what you are talking about.

It happens largely because it takes a second complete game for especially the coaching staff to fully figure out in whom they are going to be able to trust to not make those little mistakes, and to do those little things right.

For instance... I have a feeling our d-backfield next week is going to feature Nelson back at one of the CB spots, Carter and Proctor manning the safety slots, and whoever between Flemming and Hust made the least mistakes and/or has the best week of practice.

But, to your point, we should have a good number of things cleaned up next week. The question is whether it will be enough of those things to get us the W.

I sure hope so.

StoopTroup
9/5/2010, 02:38 PM
Okay I, just like most people in here have lost years of their life to Oklahoma Football

I have never lost any years other than the ones I missed as a kid when my Dad wasn't able to take me to OU Games.

Everything...and I mean everything to do with OU Football has done nothing but enrich my life and the lives of people around me.

Win or lose....

I'm Crimson and Cream since Switzer ran the bone down other teams throats...

BOOMER SOONER !

bluedogok
9/5/2010, 03:15 PM
When I saw the thread title I thought of this....

http://www.akkamsrazor.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/1animalhouse508.jpeg

Okie35
9/5/2010, 03:21 PM
When I saw the thread title I thought of this....

http://www.akkamsrazor.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/1animalhouse508.jpeg

Ha but yea we were up 21-0 and just got too laxed...

josh09
9/5/2010, 03:22 PM
We have to remember that Utah St, despite their past and their name, is actually a very good team. They had the 12th best defense in the nation overall last season, and their QB was very good last night as well. This was by no means supposed to be a blowout, as if we were playing North Texas or a team of that nature. I have confidence we will be fine.

mightysooner
9/5/2010, 03:33 PM
We have to remember that Utah St, despite their past and their name, is actually a very good team. They had the 12th best defense in the nation overall last season, and their QB was very good last night as well. This was by no means supposed to be a blowout, as if we were playing North Texas or a team of that nature. I have confidence we will be fine.

USU didn't have the "12th best defense overall in the nation" last year. They were ranked 101st in the nation in pass defense last season alone, and we couldn't complete anything. That's a problem. That's a BIG problem. Broyles STILL doesn't have another WR to compliment him anywhere on the roster (same as last year), we STILL don't have a TE (same as last year), and we have possibly our worst QB under Stoops yet (same as last year).

josh09
9/5/2010, 04:13 PM
USU didn't have the "12th best defense overall in the nation" last year. They were ranked 101st in the nation in pass defense last season alone, and we couldn't complete anything. That's a problem. That's a BIG problem. Broyles STILL doesn't have another WR to compliment him anywhere on the roster (same as last year), we STILL don't have a TE (same as last year), and we have possibly our worst QB under Stoops yet (same as last year).

Sorry, meant 12th best offense :D But as for our worst QB under Stoops...I think he just had some first game jitters. Remember he DOES hold the OU record for TD passes in a game. You cant blame the receivers, Kenney and Stills had ok games for how many times they were thrown catchable balls. If Landry can just get a little more accurate, I'm sure we'll be fine.

tulsaoilerfan
9/5/2010, 04:17 PM
Landry needs to get rid of the damn ball when he doesn't have any open receivers; save the lost yardage and give your team a chance

StoopTroup
9/5/2010, 04:18 PM

Your crazy.

Gary Anderson is entering his 2nd season as Head Coach there. From what I can tell...he's really doing a great job and yeah...his 1st Season was tough and if he loses every game from here on out...maybe your assumption is correct but I bet you his Team wins a bunch of games this year.

Andersen is the architect behind Utah's vaunted defense during the 2008 season, which led the Utes to their second BCS bowl in five years after winning the 2004 Fiesta Bowl championship, capping another perfect 12-0 season and becoming the first non-BSC team to play in a BCS bowl game. In 2008, Utah ranked 11th in rushing defense (99.2) and total defense (289.2), and 12th in scoring defense (17.2). In the Sugar Bowl, Utah held an Alabama team that came into the game averaging 196.5 rushing yards per game to a meager 31 yards. The Utes nearly halved Alabama's point production as well, as the 17 points against Utah was 14 below the Crimson Tide's season average.

I know another good defense Coach that did pretty well his second season as HC.

soonerboy
9/5/2010, 04:46 PM
I have never lost any years other than the ones I missed as a kid when my Dad wasn't able to take me to OU Games.

Everything...and I mean everything to do with OU Football has done nothing but enrich my life and the lives of people around me.

Win or lose....

I'm Crimson and Cream since Switzer ran the bone down other teams throats...

BOOMER SOONER !

Ya, thats not what I meant by losing years of my life, I meant it as all the stress and sometimes frustration that the team gives out sometimes. Kinda like eating a delicious cheeseburger...ya its clogging my arteries but its cool

SoonerMom2
9/5/2010, 05:12 PM
I agree with my daughter -- no more Utah teams to start the season! Watching the game from the stands last night the first thing that struck me was the lack of movement on the offensive line to get all the 5 yard penalties against us. Think I only remember one. That's a huge improvement from last year. Landry needs to think faster and get rid of the ball to avoid the sacks. We won and sure didn't look as bad as some of the local sports people are saying.

StoopTroup
9/5/2010, 06:27 PM
Ya, thats not what I meant by losing years of my life, I meant it as all the stress and sometimes frustration that the team gives out sometimes. Kinda like eating a delicious cheeseburger...ya its clogging my arteries but its cool

Alright....I'm gonna have a shot of OVJ and relax now that I don't have to worry about you. Your off suicide watch. Have a good week. :D

SapulpaSooner
9/5/2010, 06:42 PM

No this is 2010 :rolleyes:

stoops the eternal pimp
9/6/2010, 12:11 AM
Landry needs to get rid of the damn ball when he doesn't have any open receivers; save the lost yardage and give your team a chance

yup