PDA

View Full Version : So this is what the John Blake era felt like.

S00NR1
9/4/2010, 09:25 PM
I was only in my early teens when an OU team looked this awful against a terrible team. I feel for those of you who had to suffer through those years at an adult age after watching this BS tonight.

Leroy Lizard
9/4/2010, 09:32 PM
No, you don't understand. With Blake, we would have 14 guys on the field at once. We would have players stand on a Twister mat to know if they were to step on the field.

This team played badly tonight, but they at least looked like a football team.

Rogue
9/4/2010, 09:34 PM
Blake was after GG got us off the NCAA radar (like 'Bama's Mike Shula), and we went 3-8. This is not a 3-8 team, despite how bad they looked tonight.

tommieharris91
9/4/2010, 09:35 PM
At least we we're never called for 14 men on the field tonight.

badger
9/4/2010, 09:37 PM
At least we we're never called for 14 men on the field tonight.

sounds like fun :D

seriously, we won and we were looking ahead to florida state, when we pull out all the punches. win is a win

S00NR1
9/4/2010, 09:37 PM
Blake was after GG got us off the NCAA radar (like 'Bama's Mike Shula), and we went 3-8. This is not a 3-8 team, despite how bad they looked tonight.

I'm not necessarily talking about the entirety of the season...just this one game. Careless penalties, turnovers inside the redzone, and horrendous defense just all reek of the mid-late 90s.

TheHumanAlphabet
9/4/2010, 09:39 PM
As someone said, Bob Stoops gets paid way too much money to field a team like this.

Fire Bob Stoops. Next week will not be 801.

Leroy Lizard
9/4/2010, 09:40 PM
Penalties and turnovers are part of the game and often result from being a little tight and overaggressive. The poor D is what has me worried more than anything else.

Leroy Lizard
9/4/2010, 09:40 PM
As someone said, Bob Stoops gets paid way too much money to field a team like this.

That didn't take long.

badger
9/4/2010, 09:42 PM

Let's fire David Boren too. I saw his ad way too often for this to be a PPV.

AwaySooner1
9/4/2010, 09:44 PM
Let me know when Coach Stoops plays 3-4 QBs in one game not due to injury.

TheHumanAlphabet
9/4/2010, 09:45 PM
Let's fire David Boren too. I saw his ad way too often for this to be a PPV.

Yes, I am so sick and tired of hearing how many NMScholars OU has. BFD! He gheys up the screen when he blabs about that...

Tell me how many NMScholars graduate out of how many started, then you have something... I saw too many "honor" students go down in my day.

badger
9/4/2010, 09:45 PM
Yes, I am so sick and tired of hearing how many NMScholars OU has. BFD! He gheys up the screen when he blabs about that...

Tell me how many NMScholars graduate out of how many started, then you have something... I saw too many "honor" students go down in my day.

We only won by seven points. Solution: Abolish the National Merit Scholars program from OU and spend the money on football instead.

Leroy Lizard
9/4/2010, 09:46 PM
Now we're bagging on our academics. Wow.

Leroy Lizard
9/4/2010, 09:47 PM
We only won by seven points. Solution: Abolish the National Merit Scholars program from OU and spend the money on football instead.

USC tried that. The NCAA got mad.

tulsaoilerfan
9/4/2010, 09:47 PM
Thank god DeMarco and Broyles showed up to play tonight

King Crimson
9/4/2010, 09:49 PM
this is not what the John Blake era felt like.

trust me.

TheHumanAlphabet
One other receiver showed up as well.

I don't know how much we played the 2 Oline, but it showed...

soonerscottd

not so sure that getting rid of Stoops is the answer. There aren't very many coaches that have been as successful as Stoops, last year would have been a great year but injuries ruined it. This year does look like it could be long and ugly, if any coach can turn things around Stoops can.

When was the last time OU had a better recruiting class than Texas? We may not win every game against them but the games are close and could go either way. Stoops is a good coach. Of course we all expect to beat them every year, and should.

noobalicious
9/4/2010, 09:50 PM
Thank god DeMarco and Broyles showed up to play tonight

Yes. Although having 83% of your offense come from 2 guys is usually not good.

TheHumanAlphabet
9/4/2010, 09:51 PM
not so sure that getting rid of Stoops is the answer. There aren't very many coaches that have been as successful as Stoops, last year would have been a great year but injuries ruined it. This year does look like it could be long and ugly, if any coach can turn things around Stoops can.

When was the last time OU had a better recruiting class than Texas? We may not win every game against them but the games are close and could go either way. Stoops is a good coach. Of course we all expect to beat them every year, and should.

Here's the problem, first 4 years of his program, he got more from less than anyone. The following years, except for injury plagues, he has gotten less than what you would expect for a program of this caliber. UT and Yellowteef seems to do better there...

Sabanball
9/4/2010, 09:52 PM
What a ridiculous thread. You guys are SO spoiled....MAYBE you young Sooner folks need to spend another 10 yrs mired in mediocrity like your fans did in the '90's to appreciate what you have. Stop the whining and enjoy having Bob and his staff while you have him-- because nothing lasts forever.

Leroy Lizard
9/4/2010, 09:53 PM
Here's the problem, first 4 years of his program, he got more from less than anyone. The following years, except for injury plagues, he has gotten less than what you would expect for a program of this caliber. UT and Yellowteef seems to do better there...

I agree that Mack has done better lately, but Stoops' squad played for the national title just two years ago. Let's not forget that.

soonerscottd
9/4/2010, 09:54 PM
What a ridiculous thread. You guys are SO spoiled....

This is OU football, not about being spoiled.

Sabanball
9/4/2010, 09:57 PM
This is OU football, not about being spoiled.

No, it is. BOB HAS SPOILED YOU!!! Get real and appreciate what you have. You obviously are not that old.

badger
9/4/2010, 09:57 PM
Jacksonville State beat Ole Miss apparently. Maybe they'd trade football teams with us? One-win team for another?

ouwasp
9/4/2010, 09:58 PM
In the John Blake era I would NOT have spent $ on ppv...

I would not really have expected to win.

"Let's Fire Bob" is simply a stupid knee-jerk response. But tonight's team sure didn't look prepared, esp on D... I bet Coach Stoops would be the first to agree with that.

CrimsonJim
9/4/2010, 09:58 PM
In the John Blake era I would NOT have spent $ on ppv...

I would not really have expected to win.

"Let's Fire Bob" is simply a stupid knee-jerk response. But tonight's team sure didn't look prepared, esp on D... I bet Coach Stoops would be the first to agree with that.

This! ^^^

soonerscottd
9/4/2010, 10:01 PM
No, it is. BOB HAS SPOILED YOU!!! Get real and appreciate what you have.

I think everyone appreciates what we have. Expectations are a little higher than looking like we could possibly lose to a 4-8 team that has only had 2 winning seasons in it's history.

adoniijahsooner
9/4/2010, 10:05 PM
I think everyone appreciates what we have. Expectations are a little higher than looking like we could possibly lose to a 4-8 team that has only had 2 winning seasons in it's history.

A team that was ranked 12 in total offense last year, and nearly beat A&M....also, they are a Junior and senior laden team, while we are a team with a lot of freshman and sophmores on it. This team will look different in few weeks than they do now........but I am concerned about LJ:( .

Sabanball
9/4/2010, 10:06 PM

You would never know it by some of the crazy comments being made on this forum tonight, including the whole premise of this thread.

You won the game, and didn't have any major injuries. That's all that is important and all anyone will remember 10 yrs from now.

adoniijahsooner
9/4/2010, 10:07 PM
You would never know it by some of the crazy comments being made on this forum tonight, including the whole premise of this thread.

You won the game, and didn't have any major injuries. That's all that is important and all anyone will remember 10 yrs from now.

If we beat FSU next week, everyone will forget about this game.

Leroy Lizard
9/4/2010, 10:09 PM
If we lose they'll forget all about it too.

soonerscottd
9/4/2010, 10:13 PM

I think the whole meaning of this thread is that OU played like crap, can you deny they didn't?? I haven't seen them play this bad since the Blake era, so in reality yes the OP is correct. Does anyone believe that OU is going down that path with Stoops? NO. Stoops is a great coach, he'll fix things. Just has a week to do so, could take a little longer.

You should also remember, this is OU football. OU doesn't just play to win, OU plays to win championships. The team expects it, the fans expect it. But the fans will not give up on the team not matter how they perform, how much they lose, or how ugly it gets.

adoniijahsooner
9/4/2010, 10:15 PM
Entitlement is a disease unto death....

badger
9/4/2010, 10:17 PM
Oh to be an Ole Miss Rebel or Kansas Jayhawk tonight. :P

But, instead, we're in the same boat as the Jacksonville Staters and North Dakota Staters :D:D

:O sort of

delhalew
9/4/2010, 10:26 PM
Wow. I was pissed off, but come on. You clearly did not suffer through the nineties.

badger
9/4/2010, 10:31 PM
Wow. I was pissed off, but come on. You clearly did not suffer through the nineties.

Yeah, I'm only 10 years old, but I heard that Saved by the Bell was an awful TV show

delhalew
9/4/2010, 10:33 PM
Yeah, I'm only 10 years old, but I heard that Saved by the Bell was an awful TV show

lol. That was meant for the OP. :D

GKeeper316
9/4/2010, 10:33 PM
I was only in my early teens when an OU team looked this awful against a terrible team. I feel for those of you who had to suffer through those years at an adult age after watching this BS tonight.

utah state is not a "terrible team".

and no this is nothing like the misery of the 90s. look at a game tape from the blake years... stadium only about 3/4 full and only about half of those people even had an OU shirt on.

adoniijahsooner
9/4/2010, 10:37 PM
I fell in love with the sooners around 85, which is actually when I started watching football. Not long after that all the negative stuff began to take place. So I was thrilled, and will be thrilled til Bob Stoops decides to retire after 30 years of service.

soonerscottd
9/4/2010, 10:39 PM
I fell in love with the sooners around 85, which is actually when I started watching football. Not long after that all the negative stuff began to take place. So I was thrilled, and will be thrilled til Bob Stoops decides to retire after 30 years of service.

I'm hoping for more than 30 years, difficult to replace a great coach.

the_ouskull
9/4/2010, 10:47 PM
this is not what the John Blake era felt like.

trust me.

No need to trust you. I was there as well, sir. Anybody comparing a win over a D1 (I think) opponent to "the John Blake era" can p*ss right off. Playing four quarterbacks AND four different offensive philosophies in the same game. THAT was the John Blake era.

the_ouskull

cheezyq
9/4/2010, 11:00 PM
No need to trust you. I was there as well, sir. Anybody comparing a win over a D1 (I think) opponent to "the John Blake era" can p*ss right off. Playing four quarterbacks AND four different offensive philosophies in the same game. THAT was the John Blake era.

the_ouskull

This game was just a kick in the nads. The Blake era was similar to what that Texas fan probably felt after he was carted out of the Norman bar with a torn scrote.

PDXsooner
9/4/2010, 11:03 PM
I guess some of you are just young. But some people just have no perspective. If you're a fan long enough, these games happen. And one of two results occur: you win or you lose. We won, so I'm happy.

As much as we try, you cannot take too much from any one performance. Each game is a different animal. It's almost as if some of you are watching your first season of college football.

delhalew
9/4/2010, 11:12 PM
I'm frustrated that I'm pissed about a game I didn't see. I have to take Bob Barry's word for it.

tommieharris91
9/4/2010, 11:17 PM
I'm hoping for more than 30 years, difficult to replace a great coach.

I really wonder if you knew you were talking to an Alabama fan or not. As for the OP, if Blake were coaching, we lose tonight's game by 4 TDs.

85sooners
9/4/2010, 11:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhI0OVs_zj0&feature=player_embedded

delhalew
9/4/2010, 11:19 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhI0OVs_zj0&feature=player_embedded

Ok. That was funny.

Sooner04
9/4/2010, 11:21 PM
I sat through every home game but one during the Blake era.

Tonight was NOTHING like the Blake era.

HERE (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121286) is a refresher on just how bad the Blake era really was.

Mjcpr
9/4/2010, 11:22 PM
Yeah, this was a ****tacular performance but nothing, I mean NOTHING, like a game week during the JB era.

Nothing.

PDXsooner
9/4/2010, 11:26 PM
You want John Blake? Here's John Blake: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-VQH6CA81g&feature=related

SoonerBacker
9/4/2010, 11:35 PM
The whole premise of this threaad reminds me a great deal of what happened to the Sooners in 1975. We had won the MNC the year before and were expected to do the same in '75. Then, the Kansas Jayhawks came to Norman and thumped us 23-3. The team played so badly that Sooner fans in attendance booed our guys off the field at the end of the game. (I was there. Remember it vivdly!)

The following week, the Sooners traveled to Columbia, MO. The Tigers were ahead by 7 late in the 4th when Joe Washington broke "The Run" and scored the 2 point conversion. Sooners won 28-27. They also went on to win another MNC.

My point? Even some of the best Sooner teams in history have had bad games against teams that were far less talented than we were. We just have to stay with our team and do our part when the Seminoles come to town. Let's make Memorial Stadium as crazy as it was for Tceh a couple of years ago!

Sooner Among The Pack
9/4/2010, 11:36 PM
The Blake era reference is insane. We've played bad openers before and had good seasons. This game felt A LOT like the UAB game in 2006. One AD swing pass made us forget about it, but it was a TD game late if I remember correctly and we won a Big XII Championship.

But we gotta get better, and quick.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/5/2010, 01:20 AM
OU needed Patrick Fletcher to save the day against North Texas because Brandon Daniels wouldn't pitch the ball....This thread hurts my head

Octavian
9/5/2010, 01:40 AM
randomly fire the custodians and service staff people -- just as a cautionary example

and hope Bob stays for another 20 years...wouldn't trade him for anyone