PDA

View Full Version : Matt Lionfart is gone from AZ

Flagstaffsooner
9/4/2010, 03:44 PM
http://api.ning.com/files/dyXDO68yr4kLdtlN3-AsOHfqDixvKh9pCVXi-g4zQarbe8iHD9NRJ-k7nVgcUtpMzsdFDPpaOZwLvAUTbYDkhKOYBEm3iCHa/48994laughing_cat.gif
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/09/cardinals-release-qb-matt-leinart/1
First he lost his starting job, then he lost his job altogether.
The Arizona Cardinals announced Saturday that QB Matt Leinart was among the players they released to reach the 53-man roster limit.
The former Heisman Trophy winner entered training camp as the starter following the retirement of Kurt Warner, but after failing to impress coach Ken Whisenhunt through mid-August, Derek Anderson was given the chance to start the final two exhibition games.
Leinart was unhappy when Anderson, acquired from the Cleveland Browns, was named the starter and said so this week.
Now the former first-round pick is looking for work.
Leinart was the 10th overall pick in 2006 after a highly successful collegiate career at Southern Cal that included a national championship. But he never seemed able to make the jump to NFL starter, first losing the role to Warner and now Anderson. He finishes his Cardinals' career with 340 completions with 14 TDs and 20 INTs in 29 games, 17 of which he started.
-- Scott Zucker

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
9/4/2010, 04:22 PM
Has the ax fallen on Colt McCoy at Cleveland yet?

goingoneight
9/4/2010, 04:24 PM
Why would it? McCoy's been at least decent.

Eielson
9/4/2010, 04:43 PM
What was wrong with Leinart's preseason? His stats looked pretty solid to me other than getting sacked 5 times.

aj44mc
9/4/2010, 05:18 PM
I don't think he showed to be a capable leader and I don't know that he completed a pass for more than 10 yds. Plus everyone here in PHX blames him for getting Fitz hurt I think.

Flagstaffsooner
9/4/2010, 06:12 PM
Hes a smartassed trojan, a prima dona.

MyT Oklahoma
9/4/2010, 06:18 PM
Well on the lighter side at least he still has his Heisman. :cool:

TheHumanAlphabet
9/4/2010, 08:39 PM
Why would it? McCoy's been at least decent.

There has been talk from CLE that Colty is on the chopping block.

badger
9/6/2010, 12:40 PM
Just signed with the Texans. Money issues undisclosed as of yet, probably won't be till he passes a physical.

Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5538812)

JLEW1818
9/6/2010, 12:44 PM
yah, another usc punk for my Houston boys....

StoopTroup
9/6/2010, 12:58 PM
Lineharp will find a Home. If he's smart he'll can the primo donna deal and get to work. Sometimes getting the boot can be good for guys like this. Word is his long ball sucks and if he can't reach down field in the NFL...he'll be out in at least one to two years.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/6/2010, 01:09 PM
yah, another usc punk for my Houston boys....Dayum, too bad for you guys!

badger
9/6/2010, 01:17 PM
What was wrong with Leinart's preseason? His stats looked pretty solid to me other than getting sacked 5 times.

I read on some ESPN.com column that the biggest issue was that the coach was trying to push us vs. the world, scrappy hard work vs. relying on talent, etc., where Leinart was like the world part of the us vs. the world part, being a first rounder heisman winner that won a single championship (NOT two, you ESPN morons!)

Basically, the coach wanted the crosseye fat kid that Leinart once was, rather than the LA party scene guy that he had become.

Sooner Among The Pack
9/6/2010, 01:25 PM
We cut John David Booty. Guess we needed at least 1 overrated SUC QB on the roster.

badger
9/6/2010, 01:34 PM
We cut John David Booty. Guess we needed at least 1 overrated SUC QB on the roster.

That dude has had nothing but bad luck. He was expected at one point to win the starting job after Carson Palmer left USC, but lost it to Leinart, who went on to win the Heisman.

Then, after Leinart leaves, that just HAPPENS to be the year some teams figure out how to beat USC, so they're relegated to just contend for the Pac-10, instead of the national title.

Then, after a lackluster year of non-Heisman, non-BCS title contention, Booty goes to the Vikings... as jersey number four. Whoops. Booty's jersey went to Favre, as did his quarterback roster spot.

And now, things have come full circle it seems, when once again, Leinart takes Booty's spot.

In any event, I'm sure this isn't what Booty had in mind when Pete Carroll was rah-rah recruiting him to USC. :P

soonerhubs
9/6/2010, 05:14 PM
That dude has had nothing but bad luck. He was expected at one point to win the starting job after Carson Palmer left USC, but lost it to Leinart, who went on to win the Heisman.

Then, after Leinart leaves, that just HAPPENS to be the year some teams figure out how to beat USC, so they're relegated to just contend for the Pac-10, instead of the national title.

Then, after a lackluster year of non-Heisman, non-BCS title contention, Booty goes to the Vikings... as jersey number four. Whoops. Booty's jersey went to Favre, as did his quarterback roster spot.

And now, things have come full circle it seems, when once again, Leinart takes Booty's spot.

In any event, I'm sure this isn't what Booty had in mind when Pete Carroll was rah-rah recruiting him to USC. :P

Where does Cassel fit into this? :D

Breadburner
9/6/2010, 05:19 PM
Linefart to Houston....

badger
9/6/2010, 05:21 PM
Where does Cassel fit into this? :D

What ever success Matt Cassel has, it was in spite of Pete Rah-Rah Carroll not because of him. Get this:

Cassel spent time at tight end and wide receiver in 2003, and some special teams that year. He started at halfback against California once as well, even making his lone collegiate start at that position. During his four seasons there, Cassel completed 19 of 33 passes for 192 yards, with no touchdowns and one interception.

wtf. well, guess what Mitch Mustain's gonna be doing before the end of the season... oh wait, Carroll bailed on SC before the sanctions came down, hahaha

AZSOONER
9/6/2010, 06:43 PM
yeah he was pissed about being 2nd string so now he's 3rd string. :)

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/6/2010, 08:55 PM

Then, after a lackluster year of non-Heisman, non-BCS title contention, Booty goes to the Vikings... as jersey number four. Whoops. Booty's jersey went to Favre, as did his quarterback roster spot. It warmed my heart!

In any event, I'm sure this isn't what Booty had in mind when Pete Carroll was rah-rah recruiting him to USC. :PPetey Carroll then chose Booty over Mark Sanchez, only to have Mark say effU to Carroll, "I'm going pro" after only playing one season at the suc.