PDA

View Full Version : Best part about having dogs

badger
9/4/2010, 10:17 AM
Sometimes, it is difficult to know how to politely turn away door solicitors who are out campaigning for Mr. X, kids who want to sell you overprices crap, or Jehovah's Witnesses with their Watchtowers.

Enter puppies. Puppies will bark and howl when they hear something at the door, so before I answer, I grab their collars, and don't open the outer glass/screen door. I talk at the people through the glass door, while pretending to hold my dogs back and pat them on the head and such.

Absolutely nothing gets people off my porch like dogs, even though they're the nicest, friendliest dogs in the world, solicitors are not dog people. They're all like "I can see you have your hands full," in in the case of candidate Mr. X, "aww, you little monsters" while quickly getting the eff away from my house.

I love my dogs :D

Anyone else have fun stories about how wonderful their dogs are?

BillyBall
9/4/2010, 10:51 AM
I thought this thread was going to include peanut butter.

badger
9/4/2010, 01:22 PM

:confused: i must have missed an epic south oval thread this week

Chuck Bao
9/4/2010, 02:12 PM
I agree, but with a slightly different perspective. I still think that dogs should be outside the house and not inside. They still do the job of warding off unwanted visitors and keeping the varmin out of the yard.

I worry about my mom since her dog, Tucker, was killed by coyotes last year. She still has Max (some sort of blond lab mix), but he is a neutered coward. He'll spend the day at my mom's home and spend the night at my brother's place, about a mile across the pasture.

My mom is still sad about the loss of Tucker and it is hard for her to accept another new dog. But, she really needs another big dog, in my opinion.

tulsaoilerfan
9/4/2010, 03:03 PM
I thought the best part was when they humped your leg? :)

stoopified
9/5/2010, 11:47 PM
I thought this thread was going to include peanut butter.:D

Breadburner
9/6/2010, 08:54 AM

And a basement.....

SbOrOiNaEnR
9/6/2010, 09:02 AM
They ward off scooter thieves.

MrJimBeam
9/6/2010, 10:29 AM
...eat off infected toes.

badger
9/6/2010, 11:07 AM
...eat off infected toes.

why the eff do dogs like licking feet so much? it's like every day they're licking my bare feet... legs too if i'm wearing shorts.

when 'rents were over watching saturday's game, they were actually licking the bottom of their shoes. ewwwwww

yankee
9/6/2010, 12:13 PM
the best part about having a dog is just having a dog. dogs rock, especially my lab. f' cats. cats suck.

SunnySooner
9/6/2010, 01:10 PM
My dog is as lazy as me. So If I just want to goof off for hours watching whatever's on HBO, he's right there with me, all stretched out and keeping me warm and "unlonely". No one else gives me the abject adoration I get from that goofy dog, when I come back from the mailbox, you'd think I'd been gone for years. He's always SOOO happy to see me and spend time with me, there's something to be said for that. ;)

SanJoaquinSooner
9/6/2010, 01:15 PM
Having a dog is one of the greatest pleasures of childhood. And it's just as good as an adult.

badger
9/6/2010, 01:59 PM
Our two dogs are allegedly brothers (their eyes look the same when they are behaving for treats, but aside from that, you swear the SPCA was lying), but they have completely different personalities. One - the german shepherd-looking mutt, is a complete mushhead, incapable of looking picturesque cute when begging for treats, but is cute in his own way for trying. He can be won over with treats or affection, but prefers attention/affection.

The other - a white lab looking mutt (with a chow chow tongue and husky tail, heh) is completely driven by food. Treats and food are his motivation. Attention and petting is ok, but treats and food are the key to his heart.

And yes, both are perfect for getting solicitors off the door steps :D