PDA

View Full Version : Kids must be designed to promote gray hair.

Ike
9/2/2010, 09:44 PM
Told the wife I would watch the kid (19 months) while she went to coffee with some of her friends (I offered to watch the 10 day old too, but she wanted to take her with her). She more than deserves it. Anyway, while at home with the kids tonight, I turned my back on the 19 month old for a couple of minutes, come back and he has gotten into a storage box that contained a container of paperclips. I find him with one clip in each hand, and one hand in his mouth. After getting them out of his mouth, I start to think "he could have swallowed one while I wasn't looking....crap!"

So I call the docs office (answering service). Nurse calls back:
"Is he breathing fine?"
"Yes"
"Is he able to swallow liquids?"
"Yes"
"Well, then either he didn't swallow one, or it's already in his stomach. You'll just have to wait till he poops it out...if there is even one in there. But watch out for bloody poop, or vomiting"

I've put the kiddo down to sleep...but I can't help myself from checking on him every 30 minutes or so. I probably shouldn't worry...but I do.

But the real worry is: Do I tell the wife? If it's nothing, why get her all worked up (cause if I'm worrying like this, she is gonna worry 10x as much). If it's something that requires medical attention, she'd notice it anyway and take him in.

I'm leaning toward telling her, but there is this voice in my head saying "nah, it'll be fine...why raise her blood pressure if you don't have to"

GKeeper316
9/2/2010, 09:47 PM
of course you tell the wife. you also tell her that you called the doc and tell her what to look out for as well.

it isnt wise to keep secrets like this from a child's mother. what happens when you don't tell her and then your 19 month old kids starts ****ting blood? the hysteria that ensues will be epic i tell ya!

SunnySooner
9/2/2010, 10:26 PM
That is my least favorite kid age. It's 24/7 surveillance until they are about 2 and 1/2, and start to understand that if they jump off that cliff, it might hurt a little. It's exhausting. From then on, it gets easier, but that toddler crap sucks. The magic that is 3, 4, 5 makes it worth it, but it's really a team effort, and kudos to you for giving the wifey a break.

Now, as a wifey whose child made her first trip to the ER the first night I left her alone with Dad (darn fireplace), yes, you need to mention it, but I've had kids for a long time--they generally only swallow stuff that tastes good or is fun to nibble. A paperclip would take some concentrated effort to swallow, and would probably need some water to help it down, so I would say it is highly unlikely that he swallowed any, and if he did, it wouldn't be too taxing for him to pass it along. But really, he probably would have choked trying to swallow it, so if he didn't make any kind of those noises, I'd put the odds at 99% that he didn't.

Your life is going to be crazy with kids that close together, but when the younger one hits that 2.5ish area, you'll be golden, they'll be best buds. Congrats again on the new baby, and you're a good daddy to be worried!! ;)

olevetonahill
9/2/2010, 10:31 PM
Next time ya wanta give yer wife a break , Send her off , Chloroform the Kid and then drink beer and watch football . YWIA

Ike
9/2/2010, 10:32 PM
That is my least favorite kid age. It's 24/7 surveillance until they are about 2 and 1/2, and start to understand that if they jump off that cliff, it might hurt a little. It's exhausting. From then on, it gets easier, but that toddler crap sucks. The magic that is 3, 4, 5 makes it worth it, but it's really a team effort, and kudos to you for giving the wifey a break.

Now, as a wifey whose child made her first trip to the ER the first night I left her alone with Dad (darn fireplace), yes, you need to mention it, but I've had kids for a long time--they generally only swallow stuff that tastes good or is fun to nibble. A paperclip would take some concentrated effort to swallow, and would probably need some water to help it down, so I would say it is highly unlikely that he swallowed any, and if he did, it wouldn't be too taxing for him to pass it along. But really, he probably would have choked trying to swallow it, so if he didn't make any kind of those noises, I'd put the odds at 99% that he didn't.

Your life is going to be crazy with kids that close together, but when the younger one hits that 2.5ish area, you'll be golden, they'll be best buds. Congrats again on the new baby, and you're a good daddy to be worried!! ;)

Well, I already told her. She called a few minutes ago to tell me she was on her way home. She took it better than I thought she would, and mentioned that he had gotten into the same box earlier in the day (but was witnessed when he did), and she didn't even think to move it.

Sometimes, I think I should just build the kid a big hamster ball.

StoopTroup
9/2/2010, 10:33 PM
Don't tell her and then once she's in charge again go in there and come out with the box of paperclips and say WTF Honey!

I think you can figure out the rest. :D ;)

SicEmBaylor
9/2/2010, 10:40 PM
Next time ya wanta give yer wife a break , Send her off , Chloroform the Kid and then drink beer and watch football . YWIA

This!

SicEmBaylor
9/2/2010, 10:40 PM
I don't get kids or their appeal.

GKeeper316
9/2/2010, 10:51 PM

dude... only thing i miss about my ex is her kid.

picasso
9/2/2010, 10:51 PM

That's sad. My 11 month old is the most beautiful, special, wonderful thing ever.
I can't imagine life without him.

picasso
9/2/2010, 10:52 PM
dude... only thing i miss about my ex is her kid.

:D
I had one like that! I missed that kid more than her.

SunnySooner
9/3/2010, 06:59 AM
For me, SicEm, the desire to be fruitful and multiply was a function of the love I felt for Mr. SS--I wanted to have his babies and raise them and be a family. It's so much fun to see things in your kids that you know they got from you or your spouse, to me it just brought us to a different level in our relationship, that is hard to explain to someone who isn't married.

But, I have friends who are married, crazy about each other, but in total agreement that they never want kids--they are awesome "auntie and uncle" to all of their friends' kids, but they like their late-night, last-minute-trips, kind of lifestyle and that just doesn't work with kids. It's fine now, but I wonder if they will regret it someday when we're all old and retired, and we have our kids and grandkids to visit and be involved with, and they'll still just have each other.

IDK, to each their own. ~shrug~

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
9/3/2010, 09:02 AM
I don't get kids or their appeal.That's a good thing. It would be a scary day if there was a spawn SicEm. ;)

49r
9/3/2010, 11:18 AM
Wow, we get hit upside the head with a SBSB post today! It truly is a momentous occasion!

SicEmBaylor
9/3/2010, 02:06 PM
That's a good thing. It would be a scary day if there was a spawn SicEm. ;)

My kids would be AWESOME. :D

pilobolus
9/3/2010, 02:39 PM
Kids are supposed to do stuff like that, it weeds out the weak ones. I shoved beans up my nose, stuck nails in electrical outlets, destroyed a full and operational ten gallon aquarium with a ball peen hammer while standing directly under it, and sliced my hand to pieces on a razor blade, and I am still going strong.:texan:

GottaHavePride
9/3/2010, 09:16 PM

Considering that the entire point of evolution is to create an organism designed to be successful at reproducing itself and continuing the species.... I'm not surprised. ;)