PDA

View Full Version : Stoops gives a solution to the dirty agent problem

jharkins
9/2/2010, 11:23 AM
I think it is a pretty good idea, but I am pretty biased. Nice to see someone actually coming up with real world solutions instead of merely ideals.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5522685

badger
9/2/2010, 11:26 AM
The NCAA really are a bunch of fear mongerers, so it's no wonder more schools and athletes don't self-report. Not that I condone lying, but it's why Dez lied... and then the NCAA punished him for lying, not for breaking NCAA rules. LOL @ poke :D

But really, is the NCAA there to help, or just collect money at this point?

StoopTroup
9/2/2010, 11:38 AM
Bob is onto something. In my Industry we have a way of reporting things after the incident so that we can hopefully keep the highest level of safety intact should you later realise an unsafe condition. It's not perfect and not 100% unaccountable but it is a way of keeping your personal integrity intact in case you made a mistake or a bad call.

These kids have to have faith in a system that if they report something they can trust that they lower their chance of a "Death Sentence or huge fine or a personal permenant flaw in their integrity will result".

Good things can come out of this if the folks at the NCAA use their heads for good instead of personal gain.

Let's hope they clean up this mess ASAP.

KantoSooner
9/2/2010, 12:56 PM
I don't like the NCAA, but they could help in this case by being reasonable. In the end, though, the colleges who want to do this thing right need the NFL's support. If the NFL refuses to deal with dirty agents, their paydays go away.

SoonerPr8r
9/2/2010, 01:34 PM
Kinda off topic, but what is up with Bob's picture on that page?

85sooners
9/2/2010, 01:52 PM
Kinda off topic, but what is up with Bob's picture on that page?

:gary:

Leroy Lizard
9/2/2010, 07:44 PM
What if the player has accepted the money and spent it. Do you give him amnesty for turning in the agent?

There is another problem: Amnesty is a good extortion tool. "$1,000?!?! Give me $5,000 or I will turn you in to the NCAA."

But there is an even bigger reason why I think Bob is wrong on this point: The player is the one that has the obligations to the NCAA, not the agent. The player agreed to abide by the rules of amateurism, not the agent. The player is the one benefiting from the free tuition, books, and lodging, not the agent.

So how can you give the player amnesty and go after the agent? The player is the one betraying the trust placed in him.

StoopTroup
9/2/2010, 07:46 PM
Leroy...

I don't have anything to do with it.

It's the NCAA's problem. You should call Bob and talk to him.

Leroy Lizard
9/2/2010, 07:51 PM
Leroy...

I don't have anything to do with it.

It's the NCAA's problem. You should call Bob and talk to him.

Okay, I fixed my post for you.

fadada1
9/2/2010, 08:23 PM
hazy issue, but the responsibility, in this case, lies with the players. they KNOW they are doing something wrong, yet they move forward. punishment is a tough call. somehow, you've GOT to be able to go after the agents... and clobber them. only way to make it stop, imo.

StoopTroup
9/2/2010, 08:24 PM
ESPN Mark May mentioned Bob's amnesty idea and didn't waiver on it all.

I think most College Coaches would agree with Bob on this it seems.

Even though those guys are uber Dooshes...they couldn't disagree with Bob.

Leroy Lizard
9/2/2010, 08:50 PM
hazy issue, but the responsibility, in this case, lies with the players. they KNOW they are doing something wrong, yet they move forward. punishment is a tough call. somehow, you've GOT to be able to go after the agents... and clobber them. only way to make it stop, imo.

I see no way this amnesty program works. It would simply allow players to break NCAA rules and get away with it, all in the hope of going after people who you have no way of disciplining anyway.

Suppose a player accepts $5,000 and turns in the agent. Now what? The player is granted amnesty, but that doesn't change the fact that he is no longer an amateur. So you still have to forfeit games and the player still cannot play.

StoopTroup
9/2/2010, 08:54 PM
Leroid....

The idea is that the player is approached by the agent and he reports the guy way before that happens.

Bottomline...if they take money and then call for amnesty...we are already seeing kids get suspended and also have to pay the money back.

That's how it will work.

KISS - Keep it simple stupid

Try that on for size and you might catch on.

Getting to keep the money and getting your *** booted out of the NCAA might be some nice incentive too if you don't report.

Leroy Lizard
9/2/2010, 11:22 PM
Leroid....

The idea is that the player is approached by the agent and he reports the guy way before that happens.

And the agent says, "No, he asked me for the money. I refused because I'm an ethical, honest businessman." What agent wouldn't say that? And now the player is in trouble with the NCAA, amnesty or no amnesty.

And again, you open up the system to extortion. The player may very well have asked for the money up front, but turned in the agent when the agent balked.

This will get super ugly real fast. There will be accusations flying everywhere and no one will know the truth. Some players will be falsely accused and banned; others will have gotten away with it and provided amnesty.

Bottomline...if they take money and then call for amnesty...we are already seeing kids get suspended and also have to pay the money back.

They don't have the money. These are young athletes. They don't accept large sums of cash to save it in the bank. They spent it. And what about the free rent and goodies they received? How are they going to repay for those things?

So what can you do?

If you are thinking that they can repay the money after they graduate, that is totally unfair. "I competed against real amateur athletes having been paid $40,000 a year. I lived high on the hog while the other players lived like sharecroppers. But now that my pro career is threatened I will turn in the agent. My signing bonus will easily clear the $40,000 so it's all good."

Even worse is if the agent lives in a state that has not outlawed such agreements. Now the agent files suit against the player because the player violated the terms of the agreement. You can't just accept a large sum of money, violate an agreement, and simply give the money back.

I wish you guys would think things through.

soonerborn30
9/2/2010, 11:39 PM
Yeah, but if we did, what would you have to bitch about?

Leroy Lizard
9/2/2010, 11:46 PM
Yeah, but if we did, what would you have to bitch about?

I would find something. Trust me.