PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Missed FG, what games would OU

Dan Thompson
9/2/2010, 10:12 AM
have won, if we had made all or most of our FGs?

Breadburner
9/2/2010, 10:24 AM
BYU...Nebraska off the top of my head.....

Mad Dog Madsen
9/2/2010, 10:28 AM
Miami IIRC

Breadburner
9/2/2010, 10:30 AM
I think we made them all in the Miami game......We would have tied Texas....

BoulderSooner79
9/2/2010, 10:37 AM
It's a simplistic way to look at things. The opponent is going to change their tactics and play selection based on the score, game situation and our capabilities. Certainly, if it were known we had a better FG kicker and we made a few more FGs in the games, it would have put the opponents in tougher situations in those close ones.

StoopTroup
9/2/2010, 10:42 AM
I think we made them all in the Miami game......We would have beat down uterus * in OT....

fixed:pop:

stoopified
9/2/2010, 10:48 AM
The same question could be asked about dropped passes,interception,fumbles,etc.Last year is over and this season IS at hand.

NormanPride
9/2/2010, 10:53 AM
We weren't stopping Miami at the end. Our D had been out there way too long and the DTs were gassed. They could have scored again on us easily. I think we would have dropped that one anyway.

But I say we beat Texas, BYU and Nebbish.

BoulderSooner79
9/2/2010, 11:04 AM
The same question could be asked about dropped passes,interception,fumbles,etc.Last year is over and this season IS at hand.

^This. For example, that FG "attempt" at the end of the BYU game was more like the kicking version of a hail mary. A dropped passed followed by a penalty backed it up to be a 54 yard prayer instead of a makeable 40ish yarder. (We prolly miss it anyway and then could lament FG kicking...).

Mad Dog Madsen
9/2/2010, 11:05 AM
We weren't stopping Miami at the end. Our D had been out there way too long and the DTs were gassed. They could have scored again on us easily. I think we would have dropped that one anyway.

I'm still pissed we gave up a 10 point lead!

85sooners
9/2/2010, 04:22 PM
:eek:

OK2U
9/2/2010, 04:24 PM
All of them, 'cept Tech

kelloggOUballa
9/2/2010, 07:47 PM
What is overlooked, is how many times were we in field goal range and went for it on fourth down instead?

goingoneight
9/2/2010, 08:06 PM
I don't remember any games where a last-second field goal would have saved us. We could have used the points for sure, but every game we lost last year was only partially due to FG inconsistency.

Crucifax Autumn
9/2/2010, 09:21 PM
New season. I'm not gonna keep looking back at what coulda been.

yermom
9/2/2010, 11:33 PM
yeah, i kinda have to hold in my lunch thinking about kicking last year

i'm so ready to see this season started for OU and put last season further in the ground

BoulderSooner79
9/3/2010, 12:42 AM
Saying a team could have won XX many more games with a better kicker is no different than saying a team wins more games if they were a better team. And, duh.

NatureBoy
9/3/2010, 01:43 AM
Had Alex Henery not missed a FG against the Sooners...

NU won by 7.

OU missed 2 FGs (one was blocked). Let's say they make both, the score is 10-9.

Henery's miss would have made it 13-9.

Soonermagik
9/3/2010, 08:14 AM
With a solid kicker we probably win at least 11 games. I hope that makes this team hungry!!

Salt City Sooner
9/3/2010, 11:25 AM

NU won by 7.

Way missed from 46 & 42, in addition to having a 45 yarder blocked.

BoulderSooner79
9/3/2010, 12:52 PM

NU won by 7.

Wrong. OU makes the first FG attempt and the remaining plays of the game have changed. Suh and Helu tear their ACLs and are out for the season and OU wins in a route. Or the other way around. You can't know the unknowable -- sometimes, even good fortune turns bad. I've seen FGs taken off the board due to a penalty resulting in a 1st down. The team gets another shot at a TD and the next play is a pick 6. If you haven't seen it, you haven't been watching for very long.

Mississippi Sooner
9/3/2010, 12:54 PM
A butterfly flaps its wings in Tokyo, and the ball flies wide right.

rawlingsHOH
9/3/2010, 12:58 PM

Yep, noticably.

Depth, lack there of, hurt us in that one.

MI Sooner
9/3/2010, 03:50 PM
I think we did a terrible job of adjusting to our kicking weaknesses. When you have a bad kicker and 3rd and 9 from the 29, it allows you to be much more flexible in your 3rd down play calling because you aren't going to kick a 46 yarder. We should have focused more on picking up a few yards to make 4th down more gettable.

yankee
9/3/2010, 04:56 PM
Wrong. OU makes the first FG attempt and the remaining plays of the game have changed. Suh and Helu tear their ACLs and are out for the season and OU wins in a route.

LMAO!