PDA

View Full Version : Bob Stoops's personality

PDXsooner
9/1/2010, 11:21 PM
I have always loved Stoops's personality. He is an old-school, no B.S., hard-***, very black-and-white, you either get it done or you didn't type of guy. I love his lack of excuses and failure to whine. (Quite honestly I wish I was more like that. I'm an analyzer.)

I wonder how much of that is his personality outside of football? I actually hear he's a laid-back guy in real life and is a real family man.

Either way, Stoops kicks ***. We're lucky to have him.

TahoeSOONER
9/1/2010, 11:26 PM
A god! A truly no nonsense coach that gets EVERYTHING out of his players. We're blessed to have him represent Oklahoma football.

Soonerchaz
9/1/2010, 11:29 PM
I've always thought Stoops was stone cold hysterical.

Soonerus
9/1/2010, 11:30 PM
Pretty much same personality in social settings...

oudavid1
9/2/2010, 04:06 AM
He is the same all day everyday, and even during the season he still is as calm as a pickle or something.

Sooner70
9/2/2010, 06:22 AM
He's a very charitable guy, but doesn't openly display that. I think either the Sooners Alum magazine or Sooners Illustrated did a story last year about how he supports cancer research for kids and how he goes about it. The only reason he agreed to the story is that they said it'd help the cause. I think that's why he's big on his players visiting hospitals, etc. His players follow his lead. Stoops walks the talk on this.

I wouldn't trade Bob Stoops for any coach in America. I think he's what Oklahoma needs., and I hope he stays put. My guess is when all the talk starts about pro jobs, etc. his buddy Spurrier calls him up & lets him know that money isn't everything and the pro's ain't that slick a gig.

There's so many things to like about Bob that have been mentioned. His brutal honesty, his "tough love" on his players (doesn't put up with off field crap), his quick wit, and his genuine concern for player's welfare. I recall when Michael Thompson (#19) wrapped his car around a tree and the doctors said he'd never play again. Stoops stood by his side and said if the got cleared, he would play again. He did. Dusty Dvoracek got put in Bob's doghouse, but he earned his way out and got to play again, after he was suspended. We recruit a 5 star receiver that goes on the internet and posts bad things about killing people, etc. He's gone. Tough Love.

Having said that, I guess there's a coupla ways to discern Bob's relationship with the media (or lack thereof). Blunt and honest, or lack of tact and respect for newspeople that have a job to do. His impatience with the media is palpable sometimes. Sometimes I wish he exhibited a little more patience and tact with the media (like Mack Brown) as that can help one during the tough times. Oh well, can't have everything.

One final thing. Bob Stoops looks out for those that support him. Look at all the coaches he's supplied to other teams that have come from OU's program. He develops coaching talent, and doesn't hold them back. That says a lot for the man.

I like Bob Stoops. After last year, these Texas people I live among are prone to ask ".....Is Bob Stoops on the ropes at OU with all those losses? Are you'all going to get rid of him.?" My reply is always "..You've got to be kidding...OU fans aren't like Texas fans who wanted to boil Mack Brown alive in the early 2000's. We like Bob. Nothing could be further from any true OU fan's mind than the prospect of wanting Bob Stoops to leave."

Soonermagik
9/2/2010, 06:53 AM
He's similar to Saban & Meyer. All of those guys work young guys extremely hard and expect results.

Mack Brown & Pete Carroll are more of the players' coaches. They are more laid back, funny etc..

Honestly, both styles can be effective. Some kids only respond to fear and hard work. While other kids seem to shy away or anger from those type of tactics.

soonerborn30
9/2/2010, 08:30 AM
RE: his demeanor off the field.

He and a few of his staff and their wives were eating/drinking at Bison Witches, having a good time, drinking those giant *** margaritas. We talked with them for a while, told them he was doing a great job, yadda yadda yadda. Then, a Texas highlight started on Sportscenter. Dead silence. Total concentration. It was like everything else in the room vanished besides the TV. This was in 2002, a couple weeks before we played UT.

So yeah, he's funny, down to earth, and very friendly...until it's time to work.

I hope he decides to emulate JoePa and stays another 40 or so years.

Crucifax Autumn
9/2/2010, 08:57 AM
I hope he stays until he's personally done. I want him here forever, but that changes when he gets to the point he's had enough, which he will since it's obviously a difficult and intense job.

SunnySooner
9/2/2010, 08:58 AM
I heart Bob, he's a great coach, he has great respect for the traditions of OU, instills that expectation of excellence in his players, appreciates the support of the fans, etc. I also love that he does things like take breakfast to Corey Wilson everyday when he was in the hospital after his wreck--Corey mentioned that, not Bob, he does all his good works with no fanfare, which I think makes it more meaningful, he's not doing it for the publicity.

And then, I love it when a reporter asks a question and Bob looks at him/her like he can't believe they're not locked in a padded room somewhere wearing a diaper and getting the drool wiped from their slack mouth. I love that look!! His answers to those kinds of questions are usually hilarious as well.

I hope he stays at least 10 more years, I'm glad he's our coach, and I think he's pretty happy to be at OU.

soonerborn30
9/2/2010, 09:03 AM
One of my favorite smart-***/funny answers was when he was asked about Lester Miles. When Leslie first got to LSU, one of the first things he did was congratulate them on beating us in the Sugar Bowl. Somebody asked Bob what he thought about that. Bob just said "he sure thinks about me a lot, doesn't he?" Classic

RedstickSooner
9/2/2010, 09:16 AM
I have always loved Stoops's personality. He is an old-school, no B.S., hard-***, very black

So, due to the way the line broke, this is the way the top line of your post read for me, PDX. And as I'm a little slow in the mornings, it took me a minute to realize there was another line of pertinent text following. So my initial thought was, "Huh. I know Switzer was always thought of as being very "black" for a white guy, but never knew that about Stoops. Learn something new every day, I s'pose."

I eventually figured it out. Like I said. A little slow in the mornings :D

NOVSooner
9/2/2010, 09:16 AM
met him when he came to Jackson for Saints camp a few years back and he was walking the sidelines and all the fans are running to the saints players for autographs and i'm hanging over the fence asking Bob to come over for one and without hesitation he walks over there, signed the sheet of paper i had (no lie, all i had in the car was my marriage license so he signed that) and then took a pic with me. great guy and great coach. i think really we all can look past him as a coach and see his commitment to family, charity, etc and feel as good about him in that light as we do a coach. and is it just me, or does he seem more loose and more confident in this team and these players than years past? may be just me

yankee
9/2/2010, 09:39 AM
and is it just me, or does he seem more loose and more confident in this team and these players than years past? may be just me

i definitely see that too. must be getting soft in his old age. :D

jaux
9/2/2010, 10:10 AM
Never having a library late fee speaks volumes for the man.

stoopified
9/2/2010, 10:30 AM
i definitely see that too. must be getting soft in his old age. :DDitto

Howzit
9/2/2010, 11:12 AM
He once made a recording of one hand clapping. It went platinum in 3 days.

soonerborn30
9/2/2010, 11:13 AM
Uh oh...this is starting to take a very Norrisian turn.

Mississippi Sooner
9/2/2010, 11:14 AM
Uh oh...this is starting to take a very Norrisian turn.

Chuck Norris fears Bob Stoops.

StoopTroup
9/2/2010, 11:29 AM
A friend and me somehow made our way into the Presser after the OU win against little brother in Stoolwater where Sam did his aerial act near the EZ. Saw this gal sitting on the floor and my Buddy went and grabbed a folding chair for her to sit in. That was the right thing to do as it was Josh Heuple's Wife. :D

Anyway we were allowed to hang around after the presser and Bob came out of the locker room. Carol was waiting on him and we got to talk with her a bit and asked her if Bob would sign my Buds hat. She got him to stop for us and he graciously signed the hat and my Bud asked him if Kevin Wilson was to move on post season...who would he be looking at? Bob looked at my Bud with eyes of Steel and said..."Kevin isn't going anywhere".

Definitely a NO BS type of guy. He didn't avoid the question...didn't flinch...he rolled it right off his lips.

Trust in Stoops.

SoonerLB
9/2/2010, 11:46 AM
I hope he stays till he decides to retire from coaching! We're very fortunate to have the best coach in college football as far as I'm concerned.

StoopTroup
9/2/2010, 11:57 AM
I'd like to see Bob's face if one of you staggered up and asked him to sign your mason jar.

Buncha Hillbillies. :D

Howzit
9/2/2010, 12:43 PM
Bob Stoops' ATB bar goes to 8.

oudavid1
9/2/2010, 01:39 PM
i heard he does ufc in a cave in Afghanistan with terrorists. Undefeated so far.

C&CDean
9/2/2010, 01:41 PM
I have always loved Stoops's personality. He is an old-school, no B.S., hard-***, very black-and-white, you either get it done or you didn't type of guy. I love his lack of excuses and failure to whine. (Quite honestly I wish I was more like that. I'm an analyzer.)

I wonder how much of that is his personality outside of football? I actually hear he's a laid-back guy in real life and is a real family man.

Either way, Stoops kicks ***. We're lucky to have him.

Funny how all the things you like about Stoops are all the things you are not. Doesn't that tell you something Mr. Left Coast?

Anyhow, I have a Bob Stoops bobblehead that refuses to bobble.

PDXsooner
9/2/2010, 01:46 PM
Funny how all the things you like about Stoops are all the things you are not. Doesn't that tell you something Mr. Left Coast?

Anyhow, I have a Bob Stoops bobblehead that refuses to bobble.

Wait, have we met? I certainly don't remember it.

And his personality is perfect for being a college football coach. Which he is.

C&CDean
9/2/2010, 01:49 PM
No we didn't meet cause you were too busy, remember? Well that, and you wear a Yankmees hat.

I'm just jabbing at your "everything has shades of gray" persona. Don't get all huffy.

Howzit
9/2/2010, 02:04 PM
Bob Stoops throws boxes of tissue at the drill sergeant in the Geico commercial.

PDXsooner
9/2/2010, 02:04 PM
Well that, and you wear a Yankmees hat.

Blasphemy!!!!

Mississippi Sooner
9/2/2010, 02:09 PM
Bob stoops for no man.

C&CDean
9/2/2010, 02:15 PM
Blasphemy!!!!

I figured that'd get a rise out of you.:)

StoopTroup
9/2/2010, 02:27 PM
Bob told me the Cardinals are gonna start a run tonight and will win the World Series.

jaux
9/2/2010, 03:26 PM
Every time Bob gives someone an icy glare of disdain, an angel gets her wings.