PDA

View Full Version : Cameron Kenney v. Dejuan Miller

CatfishSooner
9/1/2010, 05:44 PM
Why is CK over DM on the depth chart??? It's seems like a no-brainer DM is the better receiver to me... Hopefully this is just some sort of message from the coaches and Dejuan ends up playing the majority of the snaps...

starclassic tama
9/1/2010, 05:47 PM
i don't know, i'd say miller looked marginally better last season. but let's not act like he flat out tore it up last year. the truth is, other than broyles none of our receivers really produced. that's why the coaches said guys aren't just going to win back their starting jobs based on the fact they played last year...

CatfishSooner
9/1/2010, 05:51 PM
yeah, but he seemed to really becoming on late in the year...I expect him to have a breakout year this season...

goingoneight
9/1/2010, 05:52 PM
While Dejuan wasn't featured, he did out-perform CK in every way. It's been a surprise to everyone. If this is one of those 40-time things, IMO it's not a good decision.

starclassic tama
9/1/2010, 05:54 PM
christ, do you really think the coaches would make a decision based on a 40-time? i guarantee you kenney has been outperforming miller in practice, now whether or not that translates to saturdays i have no idea. i'm not high on kenney either, but he is the starter and he has talent or he wouldn't be at OU. so let's hope he plays well.

goingoneight
9/1/2010, 05:57 PM
My name isn't Christ... and outside receivers are often picked for their speed. :rolleyes:

swardboy
9/1/2010, 06:03 PM
Kenny's a late-bloomer as a football player and I think it's possible he's making exponential strides in his development.

Shoot, I remember the difference in Bradford's delivery from his first to his second year...his release seemed much shorter and quicker.

oumartin
9/1/2010, 06:05 PM
dumb thread

TahoeSOONER
9/1/2010, 06:19 PM
What's dumb is to deny player development.

Kenny is putting in the work to become better and the coaches are rewarding him for it. I'm sure we're going to see plenty of Dejuan also. It's a team game and I think the WR core will be vastly improved this year.

westbrooke
9/1/2010, 06:30 PM
I think Miller clearly had some physical advantages over our other receivers last year, and that's why so many of us salivated at the thought of him emerging as a reliable option. He had his moments, but he never became reliable. Physical gifts or not, if Kenney has proven he can consistently catch the ball when it hits him in the hands, I'll take it. If Miller takes it as a challenge and raises his game, I'll take that too.

Okie35
9/1/2010, 06:49 PM
I think Miller clearly had some physical advantages over our other receivers last year, and that's why so many of us salivated at the thought of him emerging as a reliable option. He had his moments, but he never became reliable. Physical gifts or not, if Kenney has proven he can consistently catch the ball when it hits him in the hands, I'll take it. If Miller takes it as a challenge and raises his game, I'll take that too.

Miller had a lot of drops too and he could never get open at times. Physically Miller is a beast but as far as route running and consistency :( He cleans that up and he'll be REALLY good.

CBUS_SOONER
9/1/2010, 06:50 PM
our coaches must be idiots...wtf;)

85sooners
9/1/2010, 07:25 PM
My name isn't Christ... and outside receivers are often picked for their speed. :rolleyes:

:D

prrriiide
9/1/2010, 08:31 PM
DM last year reminded me a lot of Quentin Chaney. Every time they threw the ball at him I heard Robert Loggia in my head yelling "DON'T THROW IT TO STONE HANDS!!!!!!"

But even Chaney had his moments.

I think I read somewhere that CK had really come on during 2 a days and especially the last two weeks. Unless DM substantially upgraded his game from the end of last season, I don't see it as much of a stretch that an elite athlete like CK could pass him on the depth chart. DM needs to figure out that having a huge physical advantage over the DBs is useless if you don't catch the ball. Unless you're downfield blocking for DeMarco...

CatfishSooner
9/1/2010, 08:32 PM
dumb thread

WhY??

Crucifax Autumn
9/1/2010, 08:32 PM
R as in Robert Loggia
O as in "oh my God, it's Robert Loggia!"
B as in...

gaylordfan1
9/1/2010, 08:41 PM
do you really think the coaches would make a decision based on a 40-time? i guarantee you kenney has been outperforming miller in practice, now whether or not that translates to saturdays i have no idea. i'm not high on kenney either, but he is the starter and he has talent or he wouldn't be at OU. so let's hope he plays well.

I think 40 times def goes into the equation. But, you can be the fastest/tallest WR there is, but if you can't catch the ball whats the point. I'm only making a point and not referring to Miller with that. Now, from everything I have read lately it has to do with consistency in practice. This is what hindered Miller last year. And it took him about 5-6 games to become consistent enough to get onto the field even with all of our woes at that position. I really don't even think this is a motivational tool. I think Kenney got the starting nod because he has performed better in practice. Will it motivate Miller, sure it has to. But I don't think that was their intention. Listen, both will get plenty of meaningful snaps this sat. Whichever performs better will get on the field more. So, both Miller and Kenney hold their own fate in their own hands.

BoulderSooner79
9/1/2010, 08:46 PM
Could it be that coach Norvell has their numbers mixed up in practice!? For christ (and goingoneights) sake, somebody needs to tweet or IM or somehow alert coach Norvell about the mix-up before something bad happens!!

CatfishSooner
9/1/2010, 08:47 PM
Could it be that coach Norvell has their numbers mixed up in practice!? For christ (and goingoneights) sake, somebody needs to tweet or IM or somehow alert coach Norvell about the mix-up before something bad happens!!

I concur...

oudavid1
9/1/2010, 08:50 PM
http://newsimg.ngfiles.com/170000/170422_dancing_banana.gif

CatfishSooner
9/1/2010, 08:55 PM
http://newsimg.ngfiles.com/170000/170422_dancing_banana.gif

:rolleyes:

badger
9/1/2010, 09:29 PM
KENNEY LIVES!

:D

BillyBall
9/1/2010, 09:40 PM
And it doesn't matter how fast you are if you can't get off of bump coverage at the line of scrimmage. I think it's that Kenney has been much more consistent. ****, this time last year Adron ****ing Tennel was going to be the next Malcolm Kelly. Who the **** knows? Give it til week 4...

Soonerus
9/1/2010, 10:14 PM
dumb thread

Dumb post...

JLEW1818
9/1/2010, 10:15 PM
dumb toast...

gaylordfan1
9/1/2010, 10:17 PM
Great roast!

rawlingsHOH
9/1/2010, 10:18 PM
DM last year reminded me a lot of Quentin Chaney. Every time they threw the ball at him I heard Robert Loggia in my head yelling "DON'T THROW IT TO STONE HANDS!!!!!!"

But even Chaney had his moments.

I think I read somewhere that CK had really come on during 2 a days and especially the last two weeks. Unless DM substantially upgraded his game from the end of last season, I don't see it as much of a stretch that an elite athlete like CK could pass him on the depth chart. DM needs to figure out that having a huge physical advantage over the DBs is useless if you don't catch the ball. Unless you're downfield blocking for DeMarco...

Yet probably had half as many drops as Kenney had.

TahoeSOONER
9/1/2010, 10:19 PM
Kenney is capable of doing great things IMHO.

rawlingsHOH
9/1/2010, 10:43 PM
Kenney is capable of doing great things IMHO.

I like Miller's potential even better.

Sooner04
9/1/2010, 10:47 PM
Every time I saw Miller in action I wondered why he wasn't on the field more.

Every time I saw Kenney in action I wondered why he was on the field.

Oh well.

TahoeSOONER
9/1/2010, 10:50 PM

I'll take everyday consistency over potential and DM has two years left to show it. Evidently Kenney is playing with urgency like a Senior should. I think they will both make plays and push each other to be better.

gaylordfan1
9/1/2010, 11:05 PM

Potential doesn't always equal performance. I think Miller will be fine though. He has the physical part, now he just needs the mental. I want to see him beat down the DB's in from of him and going up and over anyone that tries to cover him. I also want to see him running through tackles and making yards after catch. But for now, I will just settle on him concentrating on the catch.

Soonerus
9/1/2010, 11:28 PM

Every time I saw Kenney in action I wonder why he was on the field.

Oh well.

Geez, I totally agree with an 04 post...

badger
9/1/2010, 11:32 PM

Oh well.

I'll reserve judgment on both till Saturday, realizing a lot can happen in an offseason... but hope for the best for both at the same time :)

rawlingsHOH
9/1/2010, 11:56 PM
I'll take everyday consistency over potential and DM has two years left to show it. Evidently Kenney is playing with urgency like a Senior should. I think they will both make plays and push each other to be better.

Potential doesn't always equal performance. I think Miller will be fine though. He has the physical part, now he just needs the mental. I want to see him beat down the DB's in from of him and going up and over anyone that tries to cover him. I also want to see him running through tackles and making yards after catch. But for now, I will just settle on him concentrating on the catch.

Uh, we comparing Dejuan to Cam Kenney.

Not comparing him to someone who has actually been consistent, or a performer.

Soonerus
9/2/2010, 12:12 AM
We will see ... I hope they both do great things...

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/2/2010, 01:52 AM
Could it be that coach Norvell has their numbers mixed up in practice!? For christ (and goingoneights) sake, somebody needs to tweet or IM or somehow alert coach Norvell about the mix-up before something bad happens!!yeah, huh!

Okie35
9/2/2010, 03:20 AM

Millers potential is through the roof but it doesn't mean a thing when you can barely get open.

GKeeper316
9/2/2010, 04:08 AM

potential don't catch the ****ing ball.

MeMyself&Me
9/2/2010, 06:43 AM

Oh well.

Me too, particularly later in the year.

BoulderSooner79
9/2/2010, 09:28 AM
I'm relieved we have so many WR coaches ready and able to step in if Norvell should sprain an ankle or something.

rabot10
9/2/2010, 09:32 AM
christ, do you really think the coaches would make a decision based on a 40-time? i guarantee you kenney has been outperforming miller in practice, now whether or not that translates to saturdays i have no idea. i'm not high on kenney either, but he is the starter and he has talent or he wouldn't be at OU. so let's hope he plays well.

What he said!! We haven't seen practice, but lets see the games - that will be the real test. I really like ;o) Miller but want our best chance to win on the field.

CatfishSooner
9/2/2010, 09:32 AM
I'm relieved we have so many WR coaches ready and able to step in if Norvell should sprain an ankle or something.

Me too...:rolleyes:

Sooner04
9/2/2010, 09:36 AM
Coaches aren't perfect, you know.

Hell, Bomar's still in the league and they had him rotting behind Paul Thompson at the beginning of the 2005 season.

SoonerPr8r
9/2/2010, 09:36 AM
As far as the 4.0 time goes. Wasn't Miller a track star in high school? I would think maybe he would be faster but that is me. It seems like this is the same reason he did not start last year. He did not practice well.

Practice!? We talkin bout Practice!?

CatfishSooner
9/2/2010, 09:37 AM
As far as the 4.0 time goes. Wasn't Miller a track star in high school? I would think maybe he would be faster but that is me. It seems like this is the same reason he did not start last year. He did not practice well.

Practice!? We talkin bout Practice!?

I think Miller won the 200M state championship...

BoulderSooner79
9/2/2010, 10:03 AM

Hell, Bomar's still in the league and they had him rotting behind Paul Thompson at the beginning of the 2005 season.

No, the're not. I just find the thread kinda funny since the coaches have watched spring and fall camp including hundreds of drills and a couple of scrimmages. I was a bit surprised myself, but all I have to go on is what happened last season and neither player were stars. So either Kenney improved or Miller regressed -or- they both got better, but Kenney just passed Miller. I suspect the last one and they will both see plenty of action with the best game-time player seeing the most time. Now if Broyles had dropped on the depth chart, I'd get my torch and join the mob...

stoopified
9/2/2010, 10:44 AM
To my knowledge Miller has all the measurables on his side but so what?If measurables guaranteed better play Eric Mitchel(6'1 195/ 4.3) would have started ahead of Jamelle Holieway (5'8 180/4.5).You have to perform,that is why Miller didn't get on the field early last year,he wasn't getting it done in practice.

aj44mc
9/2/2010, 12:00 PM
Kenny had some great catches last year and I think he showed he can be a star. I think the routine catches is where he had time to think affected his reaction. I am very excited to see them both do well. Miller is a beast but did not make many spectacular catches. That may be what separates them.

Okie35
9/2/2010, 12:03 PM
No, the're not. I just find the thread kinda funny since the coaches have watched spring and fall camp including hundreds of drills and a couple of scrimmages. I was a bit surprised myself, but all I have to go on is what happened last season and neither player were stars. So either Kenney improved or Miller regressed -or- they both got better, but Kenney just passed Miller. I suspect the last one and they will both see plenty of action with the best game-time player seeing the most time. Now if Broyles had dropped on the depth chart, I'd get my torch and join the mob...

I think Kenney was really nervous. The only problems he had was catching the ball consistently. I'm sure he was already running routes and getting off the line better than Miller. If Miller cleans that up he'll tap into his full potential.

kbsooner
9/2/2010, 12:34 PM
You guys act like that you can't sub in a WR during the game. This isn't soccer. Who cares who is listed as starter anyways? Especially at WR when they rotate 7-8 guys as it is...

SoonerAtKU
9/2/2010, 01:21 PM

Yup, and it's a good thing he had 4 years of humility and negative notoriety correcting that whole "million dollar arm, ten cent head" situation he had going on. I'd wager that if he had kept his arrogance in check, he never gets in trouble and he makes the league anyway.

Sooner04
9/2/2010, 01:25 PM
Yeah, but then we never play Bradford either....

SoonerAtKU
9/2/2010, 01:35 PM
True, and it's somewhat sad to think about all of the great players/people who just never get the right opportunity to succeed. If all of that happens, we may have had Bomar win a Heisman and be drafted first overall. Then he's a hero and Sam is a career backup.