PDA

View Full Version : AP Voter Extremes: OU ranked from #1 to #25

sooner59
8/31/2010, 05:38 PM
This guy seriously put osu in the top 25.....and ahead of OU. Wow. Just wow.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/23813762/24049766

Wade Denniston was the second most-extreme voter. Denniston, who writes for the Logan-Herald Journal in Utah, gave both BYU (his No. 11) and Utah (his No. 17) their highest rankings. This is only one better than their final rankings in 2009, so his rankings are justifiable. Plus BYU has been ranked in the final polls since 2006 and Utah since 2008 (where they were 13-0 with a No. 2 ranking.) So giving these teams the benefit of the doubt isn’t crazy-talk, even though there could also be some homerism involved.

Still, it is worth keeping an eye on as the season progresses. Denniston also seems to just like ranking teams highest, giving Penn State (No. 8), Cincinnati (No. 10), Mississippi (No. 20), Oklahoma State (No. 23), and Central Michigan (No. 24) their highest votes. The biggest exception is Oklahoma, whom he ranks lowest at No. 25. It’s hard to blame him since the Sooners were unranked last season, but Sooner fans will blame him anyway, especially since he also ranked their in-state rivals highest. Here is actual footage of Denniston’s last complimentary ride on the Sooner Schooner.

On the opposite end of the Sooner spectrum, Randy Rosetta gave Oklahoma their only No. 1 vote. The Sooners are ranked everywhere from No. 1 to No. 25… that’s quite a difference of opinions. Meanwhile Scott Wolf gave rival Texas, their only No. 1.

goingoneight
8/31/2010, 05:45 PM
Baffling that people make a career out of being idiots like this.

CBUS_SOONER
8/31/2010, 06:12 PM
who cares... Idiots are everywhere. Lets kick utah st

opksooner
8/31/2010, 06:17 PM
BFD. Another aszhole with an opinion.

JLEW1818
8/31/2010, 06:23 PM
AP means zero, literally.

yankee
8/31/2010, 06:25 PM
this is why i would like to do something like this for a career...it doesn't take much to become an "expert".

badger
8/31/2010, 08:09 PM
Oklahoma's questionable successes and failures throughout college football continues to make it one of the most polarizing programs. Alas, we will just kick your arse into voting us #1 by the end of the season, which you may do begrudgingly or with a :mad: face, but you will vote us number one, or you will be chastised and mocked for your idiocy :D

GKeeper316
8/31/2010, 08:14 PM
its all good. preseason polls mean jack ****,ultimately, and when we prove it on the field, we can all mass email his dumb ***

Leroy Lizard
8/31/2010, 08:26 PM
Remember Andre Ware?

(Ooooooooh, I just hate myself when I do that.)

Crucifax Autumn
8/31/2010, 08:29 PM
Andre Ware gave reasons for his opinion. This guy is just being a jerk on purpose.

goingoneight
8/31/2010, 08:33 PM
And both of them are/were wrong.

Eielson
8/31/2010, 08:38 PM
We should have a censor for the AP poll.

Crucifax Autumn
8/31/2010, 08:38 PM
I'm just differentiating between a doosh and a slightly more informed doosh.

Okie35
8/31/2010, 08:39 PM
Yeah, well, you know, that's just like, his opinion, man.

badger
8/31/2010, 08:47 PM
The AP poll on matters to USC at his point, amirite? :D

BoulderSooner79
8/31/2010, 09:47 PM
Since OU finished NR last season, I read this to say that every single pollster rates OU higher than last year before a down has been played. In Stoops they trust.

sooner59
8/31/2010, 09:57 PM
True, and most will give reasons. Like the amount of returning players, the fact that if we had more experience last year we would likely have won many of those close games last year, and the great talent in the freshmen class that will see playing time.

Hey if the guy sees OU as #25, so be it, but if he thinks osu is a better team this year than OU, he is getting his info from American Idol and DWTS, not football. Just sayin.

Salt City Sooner
9/1/2010, 12:47 AM
The guy goes off of last year in his initial ballot. Not a huge deal at this point.

"I purely went on last year's success as to where I ranked teams. The preseason vote is always the toughest, I think, because nobody has played a game yet, so you really can't judge where someone should be, which is why I based my poll on last year's success. OU is a great team with great tradition and they deserve to be ranked in the top 10. In hindsight, I probably should've ranked the Sooners higher. I'm looking forward to seeing Utah State play OU on Sept. 4."

Read more: http://newsok.com/explaining-the-highs-and-lows-of-ranking-oklahoma-in-the-ap-poll/article/3487691#ixzz0yFoIJYH4

Soonermagik
9/1/2010, 07:06 AM
Remember Andre Ware?

(Ooooooooh, I just hate myself when I do that.)

Ware would have been wrong if OU hadn't had all of those injuries. If you think this guy is right I'll make a wager OU finishes ahead of the top 25. You see, anyone can make crazy claims, but no one wants to back them up. ;)

KantoSooner
9/1/2010, 09:25 AM
Logan Herald-Journal

Think about that. Logan, Utah has, I'm guessing, a population of under 75,000 and a newspaper circulation of about 15,000-20,000. So, they're giving a vote to a sports writer in a non-football state who works for a, and I'm being extremely generous here, fourth rate paper.

We should be questioning not his opinions and vote but why on earth he has a vote to start with.

sooner59
9/1/2010, 11:43 AM
I'm glad the AP doesn't count for **** anymore.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/1/2010, 11:55 AM
I don't know why I remember this, but Scott Wolf, who voted Texas #1, refused to vote OU #1 in his ballot during the 2000 regular season because he said even though they were undefeated, there was no way they could beat Florida State or Miami

tfoolry
9/1/2010, 12:07 PM
“I’m a huge Sooners fan,” said Denniston who had a cousin that lived in Tulsa and introduced him to Sooners football. “I fell in love with Jamelle Holieway, Boz and Keith Jackson.”

Still, Denniston is hopeful his 15 minutes of fame has passed and Oklahoma and Oklahoma State fans settle down a bit, not that they have been execessively nasty but Denniston has gotten his fair share of e-mails from Oklahoma.

http://enidnews.com/sportslocal/x17186018/The-reluctant-Internet-hit?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter