PDA

View Full Version : NCAA to Masoli: "Not so fast my friend!"

sooner59
8/31/2010, 05:26 PM
NCAA denies Masoli from playing this season. Sorry Nutt.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/ncaa/08/31/masoli-ncaa-waiver.ap/index.html

SoonerStormchaser
8/31/2010, 05:27 PM
Nutt jobbed!

badger
8/31/2010, 05:29 PM
Love the pic that accompanies the article:
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/2010/football/ncaa/08/31/masoli-ncaa-waiver.ap/jeremiah-masoli-p1.jpg
Masoli: But... but... this is the S-E-C! S-E-C?

Sabanball
8/31/2010, 06:22 PM
I'm no fan of Ole Miss, but I think the NCAA is being real nitpicky on this one. The young man has finished graduation requirements. He is paying his own way.

He was dismissed from the Oregon team after violations of the law. However, he was also initially re-instated onto the Oregon Team, after a violation of the law and there was no problem from the NCAA. What's different now? I'm hearing that it is because a technicality involving the waiver request deadline, of which evidently there is no hard and fast, written rule. Again, just what I'm hearing...

oudavid1
8/31/2010, 06:26 PM
If you get suspended and arrested.....TWICE!!!! from one school, you shouldn't be allowed to play at another school regardless of whose paying for it through some stupid loop-hole. Im glad the NCAA stepped in.

Jacie
8/31/2010, 07:20 PM
If you get suspended and arrested.....TWICE!!!! from one school, you shouldn't be allowed to play at another school regardless of whose paying for it through some stupid loop-hole. Im glad the NCAA stepped in.

*sigh*

I miss the certainty I had when I was young, that everything could be boiled down to black or white . . .

Brink
8/31/2010, 07:22 PM
Dumb mistakes are definitely going to cost him...

AlbqSooner
8/31/2010, 07:34 PM
That story just breaks my heart.;)

badger
8/31/2010, 07:34 PM
I'm no fan of Ole Miss, but I think the NCAA is being real nitpicky on this one. The young man has finished graduation requirements. He is paying his own way.

He was dismissed from the Oregon team after violations of the law. However, he was also initially re-instated onto the Oregon Team, after a violation of the law and there was no problem from the NCAA. What's different now? I'm hearing that it is because a technicality involving the waiver request deadline, of which evidently there is no hard and fast, written rule. Again, just what I'm hearing...

Agree, but his record works against him. His off-field issues mean he is not someone that you should necessarily give the benefit of the doubt.

When looking for a posterboy for someone who has been criminally wronged by the NCAA, I would not look at Masoli. I still silently weep for Mike Balogun and the eligibility he was cheated out of :(

Leroy Lizard
8/31/2010, 07:46 PM
I don't think the NCAA should consider Masoli's legal problems at all. Not their jurisdiction.

Sabanball
8/31/2010, 07:54 PM
I don't think the NCAA should consider Masoli's legal problems at all. Not their jurisdiction.

Bingo.

badger
8/31/2010, 08:02 PM
I think in this case it does matter, because it was the reason Oregon kicked him off the team. The NCAA didn't grant him a hardship waiver because Masoli's transfer was not to continue his education, but rather, because he got booted from his previous team.

In a press release, the NCAA said Masoli's request violated the intent of the waiver: "The waiver exists to provide relief to student-athletes who transfer for academic reasons to pursue graduate studies, not to avoid disciplinary measures at the previous university."

Then again, I can think of one case where academics didn't matter - Greg Paulus. He was allowed free transfer to Syracuse to play football after four years at Duke. However, that might have different rules because Paulus also moved to another sport in addition to another school

oudavid1
8/31/2010, 08:33 PM

So when Demarcus Granger stole a jacket and OU sent him home.....that was wrong?

The laws of this land are the most basic and apply to everyone by default, in an association that has respectable standards, your dam right its there jurisdiction.

And btw, anyone who is willing to steal from there own teammate i have no sympathy for.

soonerloyal
8/31/2010, 08:38 PM
Regardless of Masoli's, um, defects - if he followed the procedures set forth by the NCAA and the institutions then he should be allowed to play. If they've had no objections when this has happened before, they should not be allowed to arbitrarily nix some and pass on others. Whether it's (1) institutional and program-wide violations or (2) eligibility questions, if some are slapped down *cough* (2) Balogun *cough* and others earn a years-long blind eye *cough* (1) usuc *cough* - what would that say for their reign over college football overall?

Of course, the fact that Ole Miss took him on at all after his repeated character failures does not reflect well on them from any angle. It also serves to teach Masoli and others to accept no personal responsibility whatsoever.

oudavid1
8/31/2010, 08:42 PM
Regardless of Masoli's, um, defects - if he followed the procedures set forth by the NCAA and the institutions then he should be allowed to play.

I agree completely!!!!!

But It would appear he hasn't in this case.

Now, i will be in favor of him if it is determined that the NCAA just recently (past month) (or since he has been at Ole Miss) put in a new policy. Which in that case shouldnt be in affect until all current exceptions are no longer under the jurisdiction of the NCAA

If they've had no objections when this has happened before, they should not be allowed to arbitrarily nix some and pass on others.

I beilive this is their first decision on that matter.

Of course, the fact that Ole Miss took him on at all after his repeated character failures does not reflect well on them from any angle. It also serves to teach Masoli and others to accept no personal responsibility whatsoever.

The legal stuff too. But stealing from a teammate is low.

Leroy Lizard
8/31/2010, 08:43 PM
I think in this case it does matter, because it was the reason Oregon kicked him off the team. The NCAA didn't grant him a hardship waiver because Masoli's transfer was not to continue his education, but rather, because he got booted from his previous team.

A player can be denied hardship even if he leaves the team voluntarily.

badger
8/31/2010, 08:43 PM

Ja. I'm sure that if the NCAA thought that Nutter was just a coach looking to give a troubled guy a second chance, and Masoli was a dedicated student-athlete looking to further his education at the graduate level, they wouldn't have given a big N-O here. Nutter and Masoli were just needed each other urgently and were willing to overlook each other's shortcomings and hoping the NCAA would do the same.

A player can be denied hardship even if he leaves the team voluntarily.
Ja. The NCAA likes being boss of stuff and telling people NO occasionally. It's what keeps them in control. In this case, though, I don't think there was any question that Masoli and Nutter were opportunists.

Leroy Lizard
8/31/2010, 08:45 PM
So when Demarcus Granger stole a jacket and OU sent him home.....that was wrong?

NCAA does not equal OU.

That was easy.

As for Demarcus, don't even get me started. (And the rest of SF doesn't want you to get me started either.)

oudavid1
8/31/2010, 08:48 PM
NCAA does not equal OU.

What are you saying?

As for Demarcus, don't even get me started. (And the rest of SF doesn't want you to get me started either.)

I didnt come here just to look at farks

badger
8/31/2010, 08:50 PM
What are you saying?

Not to be Leroy's translator, but I'd have to say that the burden of off-field law breaking (as opposed to NCAA rules breaking) falls on the educational institution, rather than the NCAA, whereas the NCAA enforces its own rules.

I know the NFL likes to suspend and fine its players for off-field legal issues, but the NCAA seems to leave that type of discipline to the schools. Dunno, though. In Masoli's case, it's like the NCAA and Oregon are tag teaming against him.

Crucifax Autumn
8/31/2010, 08:51 PM
NCAA does not equal OU.

That was easy.

NM..little misunderstanding during my poking fun at Leroy.

Leroy Lizard
8/31/2010, 08:53 PM
What are you saying?

That what OU does to a low-down, no-good, common thief (who should have been thrown off thrown off the team in my opinion) is completely irrelevant to what the NCAA should do.

He started it!!!!!

oudavid1
8/31/2010, 08:57 PM
That what OU does to a low-down, no-good, common thief (who should have been thrown off thrown off the team in my opinion) is completely irrelevant to what the NCAA should do.

He started it!!!!!

I see what you are saying. But the NCAA is the governing body if and what they are doing is legal, than its what is gonna happen.

Leroy Lizard
8/31/2010, 09:01 PM
I see what you are saying. But the NCAA is the governing body if and what they are doing is legal, than its what is gonna happen.

The NCAA is a governing body with a charter that spells out their responsibilities. Punishing players is not one of them.

Crucifax Autumn
8/31/2010, 09:02 PM
Then they've overstepped their bounds a few times I can think of.

Leroy Lizard
8/31/2010, 09:04 PM
Like...?

oudavid1
8/31/2010, 09:09 PM
Masoli broke the law, whatever comes from that from any governing body of a PRIVILEGED GAME should be what it is.

If he didnt pass their test, than its all on him.

no of this would have happened if he hadnt broke the law.

Crucifax Autumn
8/31/2010, 09:09 PM
Anytime they've ever punished an individual player based on what you posted.

I don't actually believe this, I'm just playing devileroy's advocate.

oudavid1
8/31/2010, 09:11 PM
I'm just playing devileroy's advocate.

BTW, THIS IS WHY LEROY IS SO VALUABLE TO THIS BOARD!

He makes you think. Scary thought.

Leroy Lizard
8/31/2010, 09:12 PM
Anytime they've ever punished an individual player based on what you posted.

Crucifax, I'm sorry about that joke I made about LSD.

oudavid1
8/31/2010, 09:26 PM
Crucifax, I'm sorry about that joke I made about LSD.

it went right over my head

Leroy Lizard
8/31/2010, 09:29 PM
He makes you puke. Scary thought.

Just headin' them off at the pass.

sooner59
8/31/2010, 09:52 PM
Heh.

goingoneight
8/31/2010, 09:53 PM
The guy got arrested twice is all I know. Rumor has it it was like strike ten for him at Oregon and that he wasn't all that great of a student. Now, I'm not going to pass judgement, but I'll say it's certainly possible there's something we don't know. Like why Shipley got a sixth year, but Reynolds didn't. All we know really is he tried to transfer and go play for a team that needs a QB, and the NCAA said no.

Do I like the NCAA for their fair and balanced punishment, or their thorough explanations for why they hand down what it is they hand down? No... but it's not like this is just a crystal clear from all angles, cut-and-dry situation.

Leroy Lizard
8/31/2010, 10:51 PM
The guy got arrested twice is all I know.

Those arrests were bull****. As for the first one, how was I supposed to know? She said her name was "Dawn." There are a lot of women named...

Oh, you were talking about Masoli.