PDA

View Full Version : Final Depth Chart....Brennan Clay No. 2 TB. Oh....Kenney still the starter.

adoniijahsooner
8/31/2010, 04:20 PM
Lots of freshman littering the two deep....

http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/football-depth-chart.html

adoniijahsooner
8/31/2010, 04:23 PM
Sorry didnt notice that it was already posted in the preseason thread; but considering this is game week, and the final preseason practice ended last week, I guess Ill be ok.

KantoSooner
8/31/2010, 04:24 PM
And looks like they've kind of decided about A. Taylor for the first game at least.

rawlingsHOH
8/31/2010, 04:25 PM
Brennan Clay No. 2 TB
Madu is suspended.

NOVSooner
8/31/2010, 04:26 PM
Clay over Calhoun....interesting....and yes, lot of youngsters on there!

badger
8/31/2010, 04:29 PM
I saw a wire story somewhere that Stoops will decide the kicker position on Wednesday, in case you're wondering about those "TBD" there.

Edit: Here (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20100831_92_0_NRAkao781797)it is.

I wonder how the walk-on tryouts worked, or didn't? Think they'd keep some walk-ons around to train a bit more and maybe insert them mid-season if Jimmy or Patty don't work out?

CaliBornSoonerBred
8/31/2010, 04:37 PM
I saw a wire story somewhere that Stoops will decide the kicker position on Wednesday, in case you're wondering about those "TBD" there.

Edit: Here (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20100831_92_0_NRAkao781797)it is.

I wonder how the walk-on tryouts worked, or didn't? Think they'd keep some walk-ons around to train a bit more and maybe insert them mid-season if Jimmy or Patty don't work out?

Badj, I read a story Sunday about the walk ons(sorry, looked but couldn't find the link) and it said Stoops stated that after the few were invited back, only 1 was invited to practice to "see how things work" but then made the point that no one from the try out would be on the 2010 OU football team.

sooner59
8/31/2010, 05:14 PM
We could be legitimate title contenders this year. Yet, look at all the sophomores and freshmen. This makes me feel all warm inside thinking about 2010-2012. :)

picasso
8/31/2010, 05:31 PM
We could be legitimate title contenders this year. Yet, look at all the sophomores and freshmen. This makes me feel all warm inside thinking about 2010-2012. :)

:)

badger
8/31/2010, 05:33 PM
Badj, I read a story Sunday about the walk ons(sorry, looked but couldn't find the link) and it said Stoops stated that after the few were invited back, only 1 was invited to practice to "see how things work" but then made the point that no one from the try out would be on the 2010 OU football team.

gotcha, thx.

as for the froshie/soph starters, Stoops always tells recruits that the best players play and that every position has open competitions. If you wanna be coddled and handed a job based on seniority rather than talent, go wear burnt orange

Sooner-N-KS
8/31/2010, 06:07 PM
Cam Kenney got the other WR position opposite Stills. :confused:

CBUS_SOONER
8/31/2010, 06:16 PM

hopefully the coaches know what they are doing;)

Brink
8/31/2010, 06:26 PM

Coach Norvell stated that he has made big strides in the late offseason.

Particularly in the last two weeks.

oudavid1
8/31/2010, 06:28 PM

i have no worries about wither Kenny.

and TRUE FRESHMAN Brennan Clay as the 2nd string over former #1 RB in the Nation Recruit-wise, thats a big deal.

As someone else said, makes me all warm and fuzy f0r 2010-12

BoulderSooner79
8/31/2010, 08:16 PM

He had that slot on the last depth chart too, so I guess he didn't mess up since then. I'm sure he earned it - competition is a good thing.

starclassic tama
8/31/2010, 08:21 PM
still no jaz reynolds on the 2-deep...

Sooner-N-KS
8/31/2010, 08:21 PM
Coach Norvell stated that he has made big strides in the late offseason.

Particularly in the last two weeks.

Didn't he say the exact same thing this time last year?

Brink
8/31/2010, 08:22 PM
still no jaz reynolds on the 2-deep...

Norvell said he had a problem with consistency.

Hopefully he will work through it and get some good playing time this season.

Brink
8/31/2010, 08:22 PM
Didn't he say the exact same thing this time last year?

Probably.

:D

JLEW1818
8/31/2010, 08:26 PM
unproven WR's, unproven Oline

fact

oudavid1
8/31/2010, 08:28 PM
unproven WR's, unproven Oline

fact

unproven texas, Cincinnati.

:D

JLEW1818
8/31/2010, 08:29 PM
can't disagree there!

starclassic tama
8/31/2010, 08:29 PM
and corners, and DT's... i fear we may still be a year away from a legitimate title run

JLEW1818
8/31/2010, 08:30 PM
I like 2011 better than 2010, I'll agree with that.... assuming all stay but T. Lewis

oudavid1
8/31/2010, 08:37 PM
can't disagree there!

point for me

http://static.open.salon.com/files/tigerwoods_fist_pump1250631906.jpg

ouleaf
8/31/2010, 10:58 PM
Not sure how i feel about Demarco being listed on KO returns....hope that changes unless they really feel there is a significant drop off between him and the next capable guy.

oudavid1
8/31/2010, 11:31 PM
they said they wanted him to return only when he is fresh like at the beginning of games.

TexasSoonerdad
9/1/2010, 07:53 AM
i have no worries about wither Kenny.

and TRUE FRESHMAN Brennan Clay as the 2nd string over former #1 RB in the Nation Recruit-wise, thats a big deal.

As someone else said, makes me all warm and fuzy f0r 2010-12

I listened to Stoop's presser and he said that Calhoun would back up Demarco. May just be one of those depth chart things. I don't really trust them anyway.

Soonermagik
9/1/2010, 08:13 AM
I listened to Stoop's presser and he said that Calhoun would back up Demarco. May just be one of those depth chart things. I don't really trust them anyway.

That makes more sense. Either that, or Calhoun was really over hyped. He's had several years to learn the system and get stronger.

I really think we will see all 3 backs in game 1. Calhoun has looked pretty solid the few times I've seen him play in games. I'm betting Madu will factor into the rotation against FSU.

TexasSoonerdad
9/1/2010, 09:23 AM
That makes more sense. Either that, or Calhoun was really over hyped. He's had several years to learn the system and get stronger.

I really think we will see all 3 backs in game 1. Calhoun has looked pretty solid the few times I've seen him play in games. I'm betting Madu will factor into the rotation against FSU.

From what has come from the scrimmages they have some packages that were there for Clay and Finch. They will probably be very situational with them. Just can't make me believe that Clay is an every down back yet having not been on campus but a month.

IronHorseSooner
9/1/2010, 09:25 AM
We just have an embarrassment of riches at RB. I am fairly confident on whatever combo we throw out there.

unproven texas, Cincinnati.

This is why even though we might not look like a title team this year, we will be in the hunt. Outside of guys like TCU and Boise, every other contender this year had some massive losses (FLA, Bama, *). Don't be shocked if the RRR will be a Top 5 battle to see who gets an inside track to the championship this year even though both teams have questions.

oudavid1
9/1/2010, 11:54 AM
That being said, its gonna be a fun ride!

And Im glad your back stateside to see it General.

PalmBeachSooner
9/1/2010, 01:58 PM
Lots of freshman littering the two deep....

Brennan could be listed #2 because Madu is suspended for the 1st game. I'm just saying that could be the reason.

Bourbon St Sooner
9/1/2010, 04:19 PM
What's the deal with JMac? Did he get beat out or is he just not performing?

Brink
9/1/2010, 04:25 PM
What's the deal with JMac? Did he get beat out or is he just not performing?

I think he has been outperformed in the past couple weeks.

Brink
9/1/2010, 04:27 PM
I like 2011 better than 2010, I'll agree with that.... assuming all stay but T. Lewis

Our offense will be better no doubt, but our defense will be the thing that worries me the most in 2011.

We lose both safeties our best d-lineman and most likely our best linebacker. We are going to take a hit, but hopefully the guy's behind them are all what they are being hyped up to be.

oudavid1
9/1/2010, 04:29 PM
I say we stay focused on 2010 for now

sooner59
9/1/2010, 04:33 PM
I should have been focused on 2010 last year. Focusing on 2009 sucked ***.

RedstickSooner
9/2/2010, 09:07 AM
I should have been focused on 2010 last year. Focusing on 2009 sucked ***.

2009.... 2009...

Nope, not ringing a bell.

You sure we played last year?

stoops the eternal pimp
9/2/2010, 09:12 AM
Fans have got to stay focused on the next game..We can't afford to have fans looking ahead to next year and taking opposing team for granted

Crucifax Autumn
9/2/2010, 09:21 AM
We took last year off so we could laugh at * blowing another chance at glory.

HBick
9/2/2010, 09:41 AM
interesting that clay beat out calhoun and miller

StoopTroup
9/2/2010, 09:59 AM
If Jay Norvell's crew isn't much improved over last year I'd say he's on the bubble as a Coach at OU.

badger
9/2/2010, 10:53 AM
Anyone else notice that the K spot is still listed as "TBD?" wouldn't it be funny if some unknown superkicker stepped onto the field this Saturday and booted in a 70 yarder? :D

piusbovis
9/2/2010, 01:28 PM
Anyone else notice that the K spot is still listed as "TBD?" wouldn't it be funny if some unknown superkicker stepped onto the field this Saturday and booted in a 70 yarder?
http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BODMxODA3MzMwNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTY2NDgwMw@@._ V1._SX640_SY833_.jpg

Our new kicker?

OK2U
9/8/2010, 10:25 AM
Corey Nelson changed is number to 25 so he can play Special Teams at the same time as Demarco.

OK2U
9/22/2010, 12:28 PM
updated today
A little shuffling on the OL, but I think this was the starting lineup last week, also? Surprised to see Jarvis Jones though--MR. PENALTY
Joe Powell is behind Broyles in the slot.

ouwasp
9/22/2010, 12:34 PM
Is the deep snapper Winchester realated to the punter Winchester from back in the mid-80s?

rawlingsHOH
9/22/2010, 12:53 PM
A little shuffling on the OL, but I think this was the starting lineup last week, also?
Yes. Good, Evans and Stephenson will rotate in.

IronHorseSooner
9/22/2010, 01:09 PM
They have been using about 10 different O-Linemen. The same thing can be said, for all intents and purposes, for the DL. It also looks like Paddy is still hurt, as he is now the back up kicker, and he was taken off the two-deep for KOs, as Hunnicutt is now there.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/22/2010, 01:12 PM
Good and Ikard both had a fair share of problems last week against AF...

Mad Dog Madsen
9/22/2010, 01:15 PM
Is the deep snapper Winchester realated to the punter Winchester from back in the mid-80s?

Hmmm not sure. I believe he's from Washington, (OK) and his sister played on the women's bball team a couple years ago...

starclassic tama
9/22/2010, 02:26 PM
i just can't see why jarvis jones is starting, but the coaches know...

goingoneight
9/22/2010, 02:43 PM
He's been good when he's been in there. He was unfortunately tabbed "top reserve tackle," which meant going back and forth between right as well as left relieving Stephenson and Mensik. He's stronger and better built for either LT or RT than Mensik IMO.

ouleaf
9/22/2010, 03:12 PM
I thought i saw Jarvis Jones starting last week, but can't remember how long it lasted as i do remember seeing Stephenson in there as well.

Looks like Jimmmmaaaayyyy is back as the No. 1 Kicker.

Widescreen
9/22/2010, 03:12 PM
Good gets his butt beat a lot. I don't know a lot about playing OL but he doesn't seem to move his feet very well. Does a lot of reaching as the DT runs on by. Hope he gets it figured out because we need him.

rawlingsHOH
9/22/2010, 03:27 PM
He's been good when he's been in there. He was unfortunately tabbed "top reserve tackle," which meant going back and forth between right as well as left relieving Stephenson and Mensik. He's stronger and better built for either LT or RT than Mensik IMO.

Mensik has easily been our best tackle, from what I've seen, lineman, for that matter.

IronHorseSooner
9/22/2010, 03:34 PM

Yes, he is his son. I remember when he botched a snap and the commentators said that his dad would be upset with him since his dad was a former OU punter, Mike Winchester.

Rickety_Syd
9/22/2010, 03:34 PM

Yes.
Former OU punter Mike Winchester has two children at OU . . . James on the football team and Carolyn on the basketball team.

(edit: too late)

Collier11
9/22/2010, 03:39 PM
I am fairly concerned that we are still rotating in O-lineman at the rate we do and this late in the season. Maybe im off here but I want to see the same 5 every week

stoops the eternal pimp
9/22/2010, 04:11 PM
I like the fact they are getting them all snaps early on...I think if any of them were dominating their opponent, they would stay in..Even though they are playing better, from what what I could see, none of them played great..Mensik probably the most solid

sooner59
9/22/2010, 04:22 PM
Isn't it weird how we are signing TEs and OL but the TEs are are beginning to replace half the OL? Eldrige, Mensik, Ikard. Are the OL we sign just not athletic enough? Or are they just fat***es who don't work as hard? Hard to use injury as an excuse this year. The TEs who got up to weight and switch to OL are just beating them out of their spots.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/22/2010, 04:24 PM
In another thread, there was a discussion about big guys not being able to get out and run block...Well, this line is definitely smaller(right now) with the exception of Evans so maybe the idea was to go to with smaller guys who can get out and move

oudavid1
9/22/2010, 04:25 PM
Overall they are not were you would want them to be, but they are improving and i think we can see better play out of these guys really soon.

NormanPride
9/22/2010, 04:31 PM
I believe the assumption was that Ikard would take over for Good eventually, as Good's feet are not. Good. Stephenson has been a bit of a disappointment in his recognition, but that should improve over time. I just get the feeling that we're going to get abused by Texas's blitzes in a couple weeks. Let's hope we design some really good draws and screens to get out of that danger zone...

rawlingsHOH
9/22/2010, 04:31 PM
I am fairly concerned that we are still rotating in O-lineman at the rate we do and this late in the season. Maybe im off here but I want to see the same 5 every week
I think Simmons had just as many snaps as Walker, and close to Duke, in 08. I wouldn't be overly concerned yet. Though you'd certainly like to see someone go out and take that LT spot.

rawlingsHOH
9/22/2010, 04:33 PM
In another thread, there was a discussion about big guys not being able to get out and run block...Well, this line is definitely smaller(right now) with the exception of Evans so maybe the idea was to go to with smaller guys who can get out and move
No doubt about it. Mensik can really reach that second level. If they can anchor against the UT pass rush, we'll be better off for having these guys.

sooner59
9/22/2010, 04:41 PM

That helps a lot for the run game as well as picking up flyers off the end, so as long as they can hold people off long enough to give Landry time to throw, then it seems like the right way to go.

OK2U
9/22/2010, 04:54 PM
Let's hope we design some really good draws and screens to get out of that danger zone...
Don't bet on it.
Run Run Pass

ddub0224
9/22/2010, 05:20 PM
Don't bet on it.
Run Run Pass

Haha, how did you get the playbook? Don't tell, but I heard that if it's a close game, they will disguise and run middle, run off tackle, then throw 3 yards short of the first down line.

BoulderSooner79
9/22/2010, 05:42 PM
I believe the assumption was that Ikard would take over for Good eventually, as Good's feet are not. Good. Stephenson has been a bit of a disappointment in his recognition, but that should improve over time. I just get the feeling that we're going to get abused by Texas's blitzes in a couple weeks. Let's hope we design some really good draws and screens to get out of that danger zone...

I don't know if it will be via the blitz, but you can bet the horn strategy will be to make LJ beat them.

Collier11
9/22/2010, 07:19 PM
I like the fact they are getting them all snaps early on...I think if any of them were dominating their opponent, they would stay in..Even though they are playing better, from what what I could see, none of them played great..Mensik probably the most solid

OK now but id like to see one solid line play against texas and beyond

Yep, it appears we might be going a little in that direction as well as qbs who are a little more mobile

stoops the eternal pimp
9/22/2010, 09:03 PM
well we used to say we can't run the ball because of 8 men in the box but from what I could tell, lots of other teams could run facing the same kind of D..the difference was our Oline couldn't disengage from the 1st level at all...especially from the guard position..

Widescreen
9/22/2010, 09:52 PM
There were times Saturday where our line just absolutely destroyed their DL and pushed them several yards backwards. Every time it happened I kept wondering why they weren't doing that all the time. :confused:

ouwasp
9/22/2010, 10:08 PM
There were times Saturday where our line just absolutely destroyed their DL and pushed them several yards backwards. Every time it happened I kept wondering why they weren't doing that all the time. :confused:

Isn't that the truth...

soonerboy_odanorth
9/22/2010, 10:46 PM
Yep, it appears we might be going a little in that direction as well as qbs who are a little more mobile

How do you figure, C11? Because of Blake Bell? He has wheels to be sure, but he's more NFL pedigree than say, WVU's Pat White. Far more. Landry and Drew I don't believe are considered any more or less athletic than Sam, Paul, or Jason before the knees went (remember, Jason was going to be a dual threat guy). And if you are looking at Kendall Thompson, he doesn't have his old man's wheels, but probably twice the gun. That is, he may be fast, but I don't think he's as fast as Bell, from what I've heard.

Besides, our QB's for the most part have all been athletic enough. And people seem to think NFL QB's not named Vick are a bunch of snails. Not really accurate, a lot of those guys can put it in a higher gear when necessary. You just don't see it because they are such a protected commodity by their coaching staffs.

What I think you are actually seeing with the line rotating a lot and getting on the hoof more isn't necessarily finding the right combo of athletic linemen to run block, but maybe the right combo of guys that can either run or pass block on the hoof for rolling pockets to buy more time for Landry. And that has to be done perhaps because the current collection of linemen aren't as physically mature as previous editions (2008 particularly.)

I dunno... just spec-u-latin'....

Collier11
9/22/2010, 10:49 PM
How do you figure, C11? Because of Blake Bell? He has wheels to be sure, but he's more NFL pedigree than say, WVU's Pat White. Far more. Landry and Drew I don't believe are considered any more or less athletic than Sam, Paul, or Jason before the knees went (remember, Jason was going to be a dual threat guy). And if you are looking at Kendall Thompson, he doesn't have his old man's wheels, but probably twice the gun. That is, he may be fast, but I don't think he's as fast as Bell, from what I've heard.

Im not saying a running QB, im saying more mobile in the pocket bro. Kendall Thompson and Blake Bell can both run when need be but they both do it as last resort.

All im sayin

yankee
9/22/2010, 11:08 PM
drew allen has a lot more mobility than given credit for...at least he did while he was in high school. he's put on about 20 pounds since then.

soonerboy_odanorth
9/22/2010, 11:13 PM
All im sayin

gotcha... :cool:

Widescreen
9/23/2010, 07:41 AM
drew allen has a lot more mobility than given credit for...at least he did while he was in high school. he's put on about 20 pounds since then.

In preseason, Allen was our fastest QB in the 40 which surprised me.

SOFSooner
9/23/2010, 08:07 AM
I hope that the OU offensive line coach talks to Habern about his snaps to Jones in the shotgun, in both the FSU and AFA game the Sooners were driving to get potential points and he snapped the ball against his left leg that caused a loose ball and large loss of yardage and moving the team out of field goal range.

rawlingsHOH
9/23/2010, 08:32 AM
In preseason, Allen was our fastest QB in the 40 which surprised me.
Hard to judge when you don't know who all that ran.