PDA

View Full Version : You could argue that Westboro probably got what they deserved

GrapevineSooner
8/30/2010, 11:59 PM
Still, being offended doesn't allow anyone to take the law into their own hands and do what this Vietnam Vet did (http://www.ketv.com/r/24810952/detail.html).

Especially when some of the spray hit counter-protestors.

George Vogel, 62, was arrested for 17 counts of assault Saturday after trying to disrupt the protesters from the Westboro Baptist Church.The incident happened outside the funeral for Sgt. Michael Bock, who was killed in action in Afghanistan on Aug. 13.

Investigators said Vogel, a retired Marine, got in his pickup and drove by the protesters at 72nd and Cass streets and sprayed the Mace into a crowd of demonstrators and counter-demonstrators.Police said Vogel's target was the Westboro Baptist group, but instead the caustic spray hit the counter protesters.

Collier11
8/31/2010, 12:06 AM
Good for him

GKeeper316
8/31/2010, 12:11 AM
Good for him

advocating assaulting people who you disagree with?

really?

Crucifax Autumn
8/31/2010, 12:14 AM
To be fair, their very existence is an assault on gays, veterans, military people, and Americans in general.

sooner59
8/31/2010, 12:19 AM
I thought this was Amerricuhh....

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a224/warbmxjohn/905_randy_arrested.jpg

sooner59
8/31/2010, 12:22 AM
Personally, I would venture to say that 99% of Americans disagree with them. That being said. Yeah they have rights, and yeah, if I were commanding officer overseeing it. I would turn a blind eye. **** em.

Crucifax Autumn
8/31/2010, 12:24 AM
At least we've abandoned the decades old tradition of only having our cops assault protesters!

Collier11
8/31/2010, 12:24 AM
They go past their rights day after day, I am all for free speech to the umpteenth degree but I will never be ok with anyone protesting the funeral of slain soldiers, calling them faggots or terrorists or anything else. I hope they get the **** kicked out of them everytime they think about doing this stuff

GrapevineSooner
8/31/2010, 12:26 AM
Good for him

Sorry.

But when it comes to the WBC nutjobs, the correct course of action to take is to either:

A) Hold a counter demonstration, as the Nebraska Patriot Guard did

B) Laugh at the group mercilessly

C) Ignore them

In this particular case, Vogel's actions clearly didn't have their intended effect as it was Scott Knudsen's group that caught the brunt of the pepper spray, and not the WBC folks.

Whereas the actions of the Nebraska Patriot Guard clearly met their intentions.

Michael Bock's widow said she's grateful for the Patriot Guard. She didn't see one protester or even a sign.

Clearly, there's something to be said for taking the high road.

To be fair, their very existence is an assault on gays, veterans, military people, and Americans in general.

Perhaps. But Constitution guarantees their existence.

No matter how vile and disgusting it might be.

Now I'm sure Vogel will become a celebrity for his actions. He might even appear on a future Sean Insanity or Glenn Beck show.

But you don't get to do what he did without any repercussions.

Collier11
8/31/2010, 12:28 AM
There is always something to be said for taking the high road, I just envision myself at the funeral of a family member and them calling that person a faggot or a terrorist. I would hope I would do the correct thing and the Christian thing by my faith and ignore them, I just dont know if I could

Crucifax Autumn
8/31/2010, 12:29 AM
True enough on the free speech part, but I don't have to pretend to like them any more than they like the country they choose to live in.

Collier11
8/31/2010, 12:32 AM
I think the free speech deal in a situation like this is a cop out, I think there is a such thing as a spirit of the law. Free speech was never intended to let someone stomp on the feelings of a grieving widow or mom or dad, I just dont believe that was the intention. It is hate speech, plain and simple and I wish some judge had the balls to rule that way

SicEmBaylor
8/31/2010, 12:36 AM
Still, being offended doesn't allow anyone to take the law into their own hands and do what this Vietnam Vet did (http://www.ketv.com/r/24810952/detail.html).

Especially when some of the spray hit counter-protestors.

He doesn't have a right to do that, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy the fact that he did it.

SicEmBaylor
8/31/2010, 12:37 AM
advocating assaulting people who you disagree with?

really?

I don't advocate assaulting people that I disagree with 99% of the time, but there's a good 1% who simply need to be beaten within an inch of their retarded f'ed up lives. The Westboro crew qualifies.

Crucifax Autumn
8/31/2010, 12:37 AM
What they really need to do is act like friggin' Christians instead of ignorant, hateful, dooshrockets. Then free speech wouldn't even be an issue.

SicEmBaylor
8/31/2010, 12:47 AM
What they really need to do is act like friggin' Christians instead of ignorant, hateful, dooshrockets. Then free speech wouldn't even be an issue.

Yeah, but how many Christians actually act like Christians? Perhaps they could just act civilized and find themselves a smidgen of class.

Collier11
8/31/2010, 01:08 AM

1st of all, just cus they call themselves Christians doesnt make them Christians. Ultimately they will be judged and that isnt my job but I highly doubt they are anything more than a bunch of hate mongerers that use that title to promote even more hate

Crucifax Autumn
8/31/2010, 01:17 AM
I didn't say they were "real" Christians, just that they oughtta act like it. Personally I'm glad this vet guy acted more like a Muslim or Jew in this case. Should he get in trouble? Yep, it's the law and I'm sure he has no problem with that.

yermom
8/31/2010, 01:28 AM
when i originally saw the headline for this article i was all giddy, but then i saw that the guy only really hit the counter-protesters

it's a damn shame.

i'll agree it's not legal for someone to do that, but it doesn't mean i'm going to be sad when it happens happens either :D

starclassic tama
8/31/2010, 01:50 AM
collier is right on the money here. sure, freedom of speech. but if i go up to a group of black dudes and scream racial slurs at them, i'm getting my *** beat. same principle should apply here

Collier11
8/31/2010, 01:50 AM
Why do you hate black people? :D

olevetonahill
8/31/2010, 07:50 AM
Some good points brot up .
While Im smiling at what he did , I just wish his aim had been better.
Im a Nam vet, would I have done it ? Naw, I would have taken a more direct in yer Face approach and just beat some ***. ;)

OUMallen
8/31/2010, 10:21 AM
Good for him

Not when he put his plan into effect to ridiculously that he hit counterprotestors.

btk108
8/31/2010, 10:26 AM
apparently this guy had been in the OVJ and his aim was skewed. Sober up next time and make another run at it.

Ike
8/31/2010, 10:33 AM
While what he did was certainly over the line, I can understand why. Yeah, he should probably spend a little time in a lockup, and pay a bit of a fine....but hopefully not too much of either.

Then maybe someone should teach him how to properly use mace in a drive-by situation. ;)

StoopTroup
8/31/2010, 11:20 AM
You are free to use the "N" word but I wouldn't start using it on a Bus in Oakland if I were you. Is it right that they beat your *** to death? No. But did you have it coming? Yep.

There isn't much difference in that than what the Westboro folks do IMO.

If you can't say something nice....don't say it at all is a good way of handling something in our Country. If they want to say that stuff...they have every right to do so in their Church, their House and even if they get a permit to have a rally or a revival etc....they are welcome to invite everyone they want to attend. Thing is....these funerals are to Honor the lives of people who are dead. Pray for the Living and Mourn for the Dead are words to live by and the Westboro folks do not honor anyone by doing what they do. They have even been told to keep away from these events and to what point they can push the limits of ethics and they for some reason continue to try and say hurtful things about people who can't speak back. They stand in judgment of the dead and as a Christian...I don't believe that's their job. They may have the freedom of speech to do it....but other folks are free to buy pepper spray and weapons in this Country also. If you misuse the pepper spray or the guns...you can suffer consequences. If the pepper spray is used against you because you pushed the limits of good sense and you got hurt....you might make someone suffer consequences....but if they kill you....someone might show up at your Funeral and upset your Family by using their freedom of speech to say what a freaking WHACKJOB you and your followers were. I'm thinking that would upset the Westboro folks too.

An eye for an eye can still take place folks and no amount of political correctness is ever going to stop it from happening. Not in the USA or anywhere. Humans have always seemed to eventually stand up to people who are hurtful and no amount of law has ever been able to put an end to it.

I believe this occurrence to be wrong...but I won't be surprised if it continues to escalate should the Westboro folks continue to push people like they do. There are always consequences for your actions and if even facing death or being a martyr is their conviction and they are that strong in that conviction...may God have mercy on them and the folks that bring pain or death their way. The History of Civilized Man continues to be written and stories like this have been documented time and time again. Even to this day people die to spread their version of Christianity in places all across the globe. Many are soon forgotten once the grass has grown over their grave.

MR2-Sooner86
8/31/2010, 11:49 AM
I saw this on YouTube and thought I'd share. These people are all sorts of ****ed up in the head but what's sad is their kids.

50r0CnKq7_k