PDA

View Full Version : Can you believe FSU??????????????

soonerfromgeorgia
8/30/2010, 07:06 PM
http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/blog/prep_rally/post/FSU-sues-Florida-school-for-Seminoles-and-scho?urn=highschool-265495

Salt City Sooner
8/30/2010, 07:07 PM
Reminds me of when Miami came after Union for using the U logo.

MI Sooner
8/30/2010, 07:11 PM
I'm not a lawyer, but I think that if you don't take measures to protect the unauthorized use of your trademarks, you can lose the right to exclusive use. If so, yes, I can believe that a college would protect an extremely valuable asset.

However, since this team appears to have been using at least some of the FSU marks for quite a while, if I were FSU I'd license it to them for use in uniforms but not merchandise, or make them pay fair-market-value for merchandise sold with the marks.

Eielson
8/30/2010, 07:11 PM

...and Union was so filthy rich that they paid the fine.

oudavid1
8/30/2010, 07:19 PM

Wow, this really happened?

remember im young.

goingoneight
8/30/2010, 07:21 PM
It only happened like eight years or so ago, I think.

goingoneight
8/30/2010, 07:23 PM
Could it be that this particular high school is using FSU's logo with UF's color scheme?

If someone had an orange OU hat, I'd wonder wtf, too...

HBick

remember im young.

+1

oudavid1
It only happened like eight years or so ago, I think.

i was 10 :( i aint gonna remember.

Dio
8/30/2010, 08:15 PM
FSU used to stand for Free Shoes University, but now it means F***ing Snitch University.

Remember Mike Balogun on 9/11

oudavid1
8/30/2010, 08:19 PM
Remember Mike Balogun on 9/11

of course!

amongst other (more important) things.
http://www.youdecidepolitics.com/wp-content/uploads/8442.jpg

Aries
8/30/2010, 08:21 PM
I wonder why the St. Louis Rams don't go after Owasso High School? I wouldn't think the difference in colors would matter, it looks like an obvious copy.

King Barry's Back
8/30/2010, 08:38 PM
Hey, guys, sorry, the link wouldn't work for me, but i wanted to ask for clarification.

If a university "controls" (trademarks, owns, licenses, whatever) its logos -- does that mean that they have total control? For example, if my wife stitched up a beautiful sweater with an interlocking OU logo on it, could the University technically come and tell me that I am not allowed to wear it? And then use the police to seize my shirt if I refuse to comply?

Or is it more a situation where people can use the logo as long as they pay to license it?

Thanks. I'll hang up and take the answer off line.

prrriiide
8/30/2010, 09:27 PM
I wonder why the St. Louis Rams don't go after Owasso High School? I wouldn't think the difference in colors would matter, it looks like an obvious copy.

Or Colorado State while they're at it...

I think that if you don't take measures to protect the unauthorized use of your trademarks, you can lose the right to exclusive use.

The easiest solution - if FSU is really trying to show protection for legal purposes - would be for FSU to license the logos and trademarks to the HS in exchange for a token fee. Maybe $1 a year.

Eielson
8/30/2010, 10:12 PM

I was thinking that last year.

Eielson
8/30/2010, 10:12 PM

remember im young.

Yeah, but Union still uses the U anyway.

Sabanball
8/30/2010, 10:25 PM
I sense that you guys are taking FSU a little lightly--kinda like you did with another school from Florida that came to Norman back in 1985 and beat one of your NC teams--rather soundly.

Flame away but I'm just being honest...

Harry Beanbag
8/30/2010, 10:41 PM
There is a high school out here that uses the Powercat logo. Didn't Bill Snyder already sue somebody else for using that?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/da/MHSCourtyard.JPG/300px-MHSCourtyard.JPG

yermom
8/30/2010, 10:44 PM
Hey, guys, sorry, the link wouldn't work for me, but i wanted to ask for clarification.

If a university "controls" (trademarks, owns, licenses, whatever) its logos -- does that mean that they have total control? For example, if my wife stitched up a beautiful sweater with an interlocking OU logo on it, could the University technically come and tell me that I am not allowed to wear it? And then use the police to seize my shirt if I refuse to comply?

Or is it more a situation where people can use the logo as long as they pay to license it?

Thanks. I'll hang up and take the answer off line.

i think you are fine until you set up a business selling them

ouwasp
8/30/2010, 10:45 PM
There is a high school out here that uses the Powercat logo. Didn't Bill Snyder already sue somebody else for using that?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/da/MHSCourtyard.JPG/300px-MHSCourtyard.JPG

A friend of mine used to coach at Salina; they used the KSU Wildcat logo on their helmets. Seems like they "bought" the rights to use it for a very negligible fee. Like a dollar or something.

unbiasedtruth
8/30/2010, 11:19 PM
I sense that you guys are taking FSU a little lightly--kinda like you did with another school from Florida that came to Norman back in 1985 and beat one of your NC teams--rather soundly.

Hmmmmm thats the game Troy Aikman had his ankle broken by a defensive lineman form a certain Florida school (Miami) on a late hit. This defensive lineman, Jerome Brown, later admitted that a certain head coach (Jimmy Johnson) came over and was chewing their *** out as Troy was throwing the ball lights out against the Canes defense, and basically said to get Troy out of the game or they were going to lose, and he didnt care how they did it. Jerome went on to say that on the play that he broke Troy's ankle on that Troy was already on the ground with his ankle exposed and in such a way a nice late hit would break it.

After that play a little know QB, a true freshman, Jamielle Holloway, came in to run the wishbone and that is what Miami was prepared for and the Sooner offense was slowed down. I believe the final score was only by 3 points or so...

oh btw.... this is the only team in the history of Div I college football to win a MNC with a true freshman qb....

Karma's a biatch too.... ask Jerome he was killed in a car wreck a few years later..... oh snap nevermind you cant ask him....

SunnySooner
8/30/2010, 11:22 PM
Could it be that this particular high school is using FSU's logo with UF's color scheme?

If someone had an orange OU hat, I'd wonder wtf, too...

Like this? Yep, that says "Sooners". In orange and black. :gary: Darn Canadians.

http://www.ottawasooners.ca/2010/sooners.jpg

bri
8/30/2010, 11:26 PM
Ugh. Sabanball should be permabanned for bringing up Da U. We went 33-3 from 1985-87, and those f*cktasters were all three losses. :mad:

Harry Beanbag
8/30/2010, 11:58 PM
Hmmmmm thats the game Troy Aikman had his ankle broken by a defensive lineman form a certain Florida school (Miami) on a late hit. This defensive lineman, Jerome Brown, later admitted that a certain head coach (Jimmy Johnson) came over and was chewing their *** out as Troy was throwing the ball lights out against the Canes defense, and basically said to get Troy out of the game or they were going to lose, and he didnt care how they did it. Jerome went on to say that on the play that he broke Troy's ankle on that Troy was already on the ground with his ankle exposed and in such a way a nice late hit would break it.

It was not a late hit, just one of those things in football. Play is at the 2:18 mark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUEca5wmyiA

Karma's a biatch too.... ask Jerome he was killed in a car wreck a few years later..... oh snap nevermind you cant ask him....

Stay classy.

Crucifax Autumn
8/31/2010, 12:10 AM
If it was intentional does that make it a gaybashing hate crime?

Leroy Lizard
8/31/2010, 12:18 AM
In other news, Penn State is suing a local high school, claiming that the school's practice jerseys look just like their game-day uniforms.

Crucifax Autumn
8/31/2010, 12:22 AM
^Told you this guy was funny!

GKeeper316
8/31/2010, 12:24 AM

or colorado state...

Crucifax Autumn
8/31/2010, 12:32 AM
echo...echo...echo...echo...echo...

oudavid1
8/31/2010, 12:47 AM
In other news, Penn State is suing a local high school, claiming that the school's practice jerseys look just like their game-day uniforms.

lol best one so far. BTW i love there all whites :)

but im not racist.

Crucifax Autumn
8/31/2010, 12:48 AM
Honkey mo fo!

Seamus
8/31/2010, 02:57 AM
^Told you this guy was funny!

First time ever.

I almost gave him green spek, and though he deserved it, I couldn't bring myself to do so.

It is Leroy, after all. I just didn't want to send the wrong message.

Like, that he was welcome.

Leroy Lizard
8/31/2010, 02:59 AM
Tough crowd.

Seamus
8/31/2010, 03:22 AM
Ah, hell. I'll throw a little green your way.

Not that it will get you out of the red, of course.

Sooner70
8/31/2010, 05:57 AM
It happens. Our Local High School (The Woodlands, TX) has an oversized red "W" emblazoned on their helmets, similar to Univ. of Wisconsin, and I recall the UW filed legal action on that. Don't know particulars, but somehow the HS has been able to keep their "W". These universities seem to guard their logo & marketing trademarks pretty closely, 'cause I think that's one way they get revenue--clothes, etc.

AlbqSooner
8/31/2010, 06:05 AM
Someone help me out. If Bradenton Southeast has been using that logo since '59, (51 years) was Florida State still called Florida State University for Women?

Jacie
8/31/2010, 06:25 AM
Using what passes for common sense in my experience (over half a century) it seems to me that universities should be begging highschools, the very institutions that provide them with athletes in every sport, to utilize their logos, color schemes, fight songs and anything else sports fans recognize as being from said uni, in the interest of building loyalty and (not that they need it) brand recognition, for said nominal buck-a-year fees.

I realize that highschool booster clubs sell apparel, bumper stickers, decals and the like with the aforementioned logos and color schemes, but a couple of clauses in a contract outlining some percentage of the profit from sales go back to the license holder could take care of such situations.

This would then preclude the universites from looking like the heavy-handed bullies that FSU now paints itself in this legal battle with poor Southeast H.S., and instead make them look like what my common sense tells me they would want, to be the good guys. Does money really trump everything these days?

Crucifax Autumn
8/31/2010, 06:33 AM
Sadly there's a school here that has a longwhorn for a mascot. Even more sadly, I have to see that sh*t orange ugly color almost every time I go anywhere.

soonerfromgeorgia
8/31/2010, 06:44 AM
Seems like the Noles would have went after this school first!

http://schools.bibb.k12.ga.us/1661209424717310/site/default.asp

I remember when this school opened they hired the coach from a state powerhouse and what was thought would be a rival. Part of the deal was he could pick the mascot and school colors, he said he chose the FSU stuff because of their tradtion and class.

Hot Rod
8/31/2010, 07:22 AM
Where does this kind of non-sense end? Scouting kids football and baseball teams, because they use the same logo and team name as professional sports teams? It's not like every team can come up with a unique logo of its own and name for every single High School in the nation. If anything, I would think it would be an honor to mimic the names and artwork, because your school/team likes the look of the logo and name of the team. There are other things in this world to be upset about.

gaylordfan1
8/31/2010, 08:06 AM
Doesn't most high schools replicate college and pro emblems?

KantoSooner
8/31/2010, 08:27 AM
First, regarding the hit that broke Aikman's leg. I was there that day and I vividly remember being absolutely convinced, along with approximately 50,000 other's on my side (the students) of the field that it was a dirty hit and that Johnson had simply sent an assasin. Late? Dunno. Dirty and intentional? Absolutely.
The perp died in a car wreck? Too bad. Hope no one else was hurt.

Second, regarding the logo. Is this high school in Florida successful? If so, let them license the name 'Sooners' and go to crimson and cream unis. That would be a perennial burr to the entire state.

budbarrybob
8/31/2010, 08:50 AM
So what FSU is Really saying to the HS and their coaches is "I don't want any of your recruits - Evar!"

bmjlr
8/31/2010, 08:55 AM

Does it really matter if "we" on a Sooner Football forum take them lightly? I have a reason to believe none of us will be playing that afternoon on the 11th. I am sure Stoops and Co. are not taking it lightly.

soonerboomer93
8/31/2010, 09:53 AM
It happens. Our Local High School (The Woodlands, TX) has an oversized red "W" emblazoned on their helmets, similar to Univ. of Wisconsin, and I recall the UW filed legal action on that. Don't know particulars, but somehow the HS has been able to keep their "W". These universities seem to guard their logo & marketing trademarks pretty closely, 'cause I think that's one way they get revenue--clothes, etc.

When I first moved down here, I thought "geeze, there's a lot of Wisconson fans down here".

Jello Biafra
8/31/2010, 10:13 AM
if this is the case...why wouldn't the redskins go after Free shoes since they obviously stole it from them? and if the redskins copyrighted that logo, why wouldn't they be the team that would allow the high school to use that logo?

Aries
8/31/2010, 12:30 PM
Colorado State uses "Rams" (which probably can't be strictly controlled) and similar looking horns on the helmet, which may be questionable, but they *could* have reasonably come up with that on their own without knowing anything at all about the St. Louis Rams.

Owasso High School uses the exact same "Angry Ram" logo, right down to every single line and embellishment. If you started with the St. Louis logo, and photoshop the blue out replacing with red, you'd have Owasso.

You could not duplicate that accidentally, they obviously used St. Louis design and changed the color.

Not that I care, mind you... I'm just curious why St. Louis allows it, assuming they know.

47straight
8/31/2010, 02:56 PM
Shooting from the hip, and depending on how long the spear/mascot has been used,

1) FSU could probably stop the spear on the side of the helmets
2) FSU might be able to stop the mascot, but there's no pictures of what the mascot looks like. The devil is in the details.
3) FSU should not be able to stop the use of the name "seminoles."

The only one that really gets me up in arms in the use of 3). First, the use since 1959 would be hard to explain away. Second, FSU's quasi-gentlemen's agreement to even be called the "seminoles" is with the Florida Seminole Tribe, and not the real ones here in Oklahoma.

rawlingsHOH
8/31/2010, 03:08 PM
So what FSU is Really saying to the HS and their coaches is "I don't want any of your recruits - Evar!"

Peter Warrick was one of them.

rawlingsHOH
8/31/2010, 03:12 PM
Is this high school in Florida successful? If so, let them license the name 'Sooners' and go to crimson and cream unis. That would be a perennial burr to the entire state.

Extremely!

Especially in the mid 90s. If I recall they won back to back state titles. Maybe '93/'94. Warrick was QB for the second one.

Definitely a power house program with lots of D1 kids.

badger
8/31/2010, 03:13 PM
Yeah, but Union still uses the U anyway.

Via Wikipedia, in January 2003, Union settled Miami's claim by agreeing to pay $1,000 per year for the continuing right to use the split-U logo.

Not really that much considering how many students go to that district. It's huge.

rawlingsHOH
8/31/2010, 03:19 PM
Just finished reading the article...

Absolutely ABSURD that they want them to change their nickname.

Spear helmet and matching logo? Maybe an argument. But nickname? Preposterous.

And Petey is back home coaching there now. Also ironic.

Leroy Lizard
8/31/2010, 03:30 PM
Just finished reading the article...

Absolutely ABSURD that they want them to change their nickname.

Spear helmet and matching logo? Maybe an argument. But nickname? Preposterous.

And Petey is back home coaching there now. Also ironic.

I think the problem is that the school adopted the entire package. It isn't like FSU is upset at a school using the nickname Seminoles. It's that the school is adopting the entire FSU scheme, which does make it look like the school is taking advantage of FSU's marketing.

soonerboy
9/1/2010, 08:20 AM
Or Colorado State while they're at it...

The easiest solution - if FSU is really trying to show protection for legal purposes - would be for FSU to license the logos and trademarks to the HS in exchange for a token fee. Maybe $1 a year.

Or just damn near everybody else that uses the "rams" as a nickname

TheHumanAlphabet
9/1/2010, 09:29 AM
Be great if the H.S. switched their name and logo to the Gators...

The Top Fan
9/1/2010, 12:35 PM
Hey everyone. I have a site that is NOT an Oklahoma site but rather open to ALL teams. We need some OU voices as we are young and growing...

http://www.fans25.com/

Thanks for checking us out and rep the Sooners!!

bluedogok
9/1/2010, 09:22 PM
Sadly there's a school here that has a longwhorn for a mascot. Even more sadly, I have to see that sh*t orange ugly color almost every time I go anywhere.
Jones High School on the east side of OKC uses a green Whorn logo from what I remember. I know that UT sues people constantly in the name of protecting their trademark. The sued the guys making some anti-Whorn stuff out of College Station because they used an "altered Longhorn trademark" and a restaurant on I-35 north of the campus that used the "Bevo" name. Evidently my wife's optometrist got a letter from them as her practive is B. Vo Optical in a dark orange color, her name is Betty Vo so she was able to get that dismissed.

Colorado State uses "Rams" (which probably can't be strictly controlled) and similar looking horns on the helmet, which may be questionable, but they *could* have reasonably come up with that on their own without knowing anything at all about the St. Louis Rams.

Owasso High School uses the exact same "Angry Ram" logo, right down to every single line and embellishment. If you started with the St. Louis logo, and photoshop the blue out replacing with red, you'd have Owasso.

You could not duplicate that accidentally, they obviously used St. Louis design and changed the color.

Not that I care, mind you... I'm just curious why St. Louis allows it, assuming they know.Colorado State uses a different logo for most of their items, the helmet is the only one with pretty much an exact copy just in green and gold. They have used that design for a long time so more than likely the NFL-Rams granted them license to use it when the issue of trademarks became a revenue stream. CSU could argue that they used it for so long before the Rams attempted a trademark infringement case that they have a fair right to use it or something like that. I know they use the ram's head for everything else but the helmets.
http://graphicstandards.colostate.edu/images/dl_ram_logo_2_clr.gif

There is a Christian school in Yukon that uses the New England Patriots name, logo and colors unchanged. I do think they licensed it and it was a pretty reasonable rate.