PDA

View Full Version : Beck LIES about size of rally

Sooner_Havok
8/30/2010, 12:45 PM
Beck rally crowd size by the numbers
by Jed Lewison, Daily Kos
Mon Aug 30, 2010 at 08:30:03 AM PDT

Experts hired by CBS say that Glenn Beck's rally this weekend drew 87,000 people, plus or minus 9,000.

Glenn Beck, meanwhile, says the real total is somewhere between 300,000 and 600,000.

And not to be outdone, Michele Bachmann claims more than one million attended.

So who is right? Well, it's an inexact science, but let's take a look at numbers and make our best guess based on the available evidence.

For starters, let's look at three images of the rally:

http://images2.dailykos.com/images/user/191280/rally1.jpg
CBS/AirPhotosLIVE.com image taken at rally's highpoint

http://images2.dailykos.com/images/user/191280/rally2.jpg
CBS/AirPhotosLIVE.com image taken at rally's highpoint

http://images2.dailykos.com/images/user/191280/rally3.jpg
A third view of the rally

From these photos we can see that virtually all of the crowd was situated along either side of the Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool. There was a light smattering of people around the World War II Memorial at on the Washington Monument side of the pool and another collection of people just north of the stage off the western end of the pool.

We know that the reflecting pool is 2,029 feet long and 167 feet wide. On the south side of the pool, people were generally gathered in an area no more than about 300 feet wide and on the north side of the pool they were gathered in an area about 150 feet wide. That means people were gathered in roughly 900,000 sq. ft of space along the edges of the pool. To take into account the area around the World War II Memorial and the area just north of the stage, we'll say that the Beck rally crowd occupied roughly one million square feet of area.

Now, using a figure of one million square feet for the rally space, let's go figure out what sort of crowd density Beck's estimate implied and what sort of crowd density CBS's estimate implied.

CBS put the range at between 78,000 and 96,000. That means on the low end, CBS is saying that each person occupied roughly 13 square feet of space on average. On the high end, they are saying more like 10 square feet. Beck, meanwhile, is saying on the low end that each person occupied about 3.3 square feet of space and on the high end that they occupied about 1.7 square feet of space.

To recap:

CBS low-end (78k): 13 sq. ft. per person
CBS high-end (96k): 10 sq. ft. per person
Beck low-end (300k): 3.3 sq. ft. per person
Beck high-end (600k): 1.7 sq. ft. per person
What would those numbers mean in real life? Let's look at it a couple of different ways. First, let's assume each person was was in standing in the middle of a perfect square and that nobody else was inside of their square. What would the dimensions be of each person's square?

CBS low-end (78k): 43 inches by 43 inches
CBS high-end (96k): 38 inches by 38 inches
Beck low-end (300k): 22 inches by 22 inches
Beck high-end (600k): 16 inches by 16 inches
Now let's translate this to something most of us have experience with: airline seats. An airline seat is typically about 19 inches wide and there's about 31 or 32 inches between each row. Roughly, that's about 600 square inches or 4 square feet. So given that, how much area, in terms of airline seats, was the average person occupying according to these estimates?

CBS low-end (78k): 3.1 airline seats of area per person
CBS high-end (96k): 2.4 airline seats of area per person
Beck low-end (300k): 0.8 airline seats of area per person
Beck high-end (600k): 0.4 airline seats of area per person
Now go back and look at those pictures again, and look at how much green there is -- some areas (like the southwest corner of land next to the reflecting pool) are virtually barren. But for Glenn Beck's estimates to be right, the average person would need to be crammed into the area taken up by less than one airline seat! Indeed, his most agressive estimate assumes less than half of an airline seat per person!

To put it another way, to imagine Beck's high-end estimate, imagine a plane where two and half people were sitting in every passenger seat.

With that in mind, the CBS figures seem quite reasonable. Obviously, they can't be an exact figure, but they seem pretty close to accurate.

So, even though the rally fell short of Beck's claims, was it a big deal? I doubt it. There have been bigger rallies before and there will be bigger rallies again. And there was no unifying message to emerge from the event other than that some people really like Glenn Beck. It's a big country, after all.

The AP's Philip Elliot is convinced that the rally is of monumental importance and provides more evidence of Democratic doom. But that political analysis seems no more grounded in reality than Liz Sidoti's constant proclamations in 2008 that John McCain was the man and was causing all sorts of problems for Barack Obama. And nothing Elliot or Beck can say can change the fact that this weekend, Democratic activists knocked on the doors of 200,000 Americans to encourage them to vote. I'll take that over Beck's rally any day of the week.

Herp Derp Herp Derp Herp Derp

Howzit
8/30/2010, 01:00 PM
There's a whole bunch in the trees.

Roughly 200,000 to 500,000.

Sooner_Havok
8/30/2010, 01:13 PM
RLIMC Bump

Herp Derp Herp Derp Herp Derp

Howzit
8/30/2010, 01:16 PM
He can't read my posts.

Sooner_Havok
8/30/2010, 01:17 PM
He can't read my posts.

Mine either

Tulsa_Fireman
8/30/2010, 01:19 PM
CHARLIE'S IN THE TREES

Sooner_Havok
8/30/2010, 01:22 PM
CHARLIE'S IN THE TREES

:eek:

Harry Beanbag
8/30/2010, 01:22 PM
"Sooner Havok and RLIMC sitting in a tree,
K-I-S-S-I-N-G.
First comes love,
then comes marriage,
then comes Howzit in a baby carriage.
Sucking his thumb,
Wetting his pants,
Doing the hula-hula dance.
Not too big,
Not too small,
Just the size of a doody ball."

Tulsa_Fireman
8/30/2010, 01:23 PM
That post strictly implies the partaking of buttsecks.

Sooner_Havok
8/30/2010, 01:24 PM
"Sooner Havok and RLIMC sitting in a tree,
K-I-S-S-I-N-G.
First comes love,
then comes marriage,
then comes Howzit in a baby carriage.
Sucking his thumb,
Wetting his pants,
Doing the hula-hula dance.
Not too big,
Not too small,
Just the size of a doody ball."

Post reported!?

:D

TheHumanAlphabet
8/30/2010, 03:31 PM
CBS and the Daily Kos worked really hard for that analysis. I wonder what the say fabout how many showed up for Sharpless' dealio on Saturday.

Sooner_Havok
8/30/2010, 03:43 PM
a million men?

stoops the eternal pimp
8/30/2010, 03:44 PM
3 men and a baby

Sooner_Havok
8/30/2010, 03:46 PM
3 men and a baby

2 1/2 men?

stoops the eternal pimp
8/30/2010, 03:46 PM
and this is no big deal anyway..Howzit ALWAYS lies about the size of stuff

yankee
8/30/2010, 03:48 PM
who the **** cares? any little thing from beck and people start screaming and yelling about how much he sucks and blah blah blah. i think he sucks, but i don't get worked up about it...i just start screaming and yelling at everyone else.

http://www.stephencjensen.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/brick-loud-noises-a.jpg

Sooner_Havok
8/30/2010, 03:51 PM
You missed the point of me posting this, so don't worry about it man. The purpose of this thread wasn't to say Glen Beck sucks.

Bourbon St Sooner
8/30/2010, 03:55 PM
But he writes good songs

Ohh, from head to toe
I'm a loser baby so why don't you kill me

C&CDean
8/30/2010, 04:01 PM
CBS and the Daily Kos worked really hard for that analysis. I wonder what the say fabout how many showed up for Sharpless' dealio on Saturday.

LAS?

LosAngelesSooner
8/30/2010, 04:17 PM
I have no clue, Dean.

C&CDean
8/30/2010, 04:20 PM
Well then who is your mouthpiece?

LosAngelesSooner
8/30/2010, 04:36 PM
I came equipped with my own at birth.

Hence I am nobody's clone. Love me/hate me...whatever. At least it's ME you love/hate and not some fat cigar chomping, oxycodone popping, dude in Florida who's every word I repeat with no original thought of my own.

Breadburner
8/30/2010, 04:44 PM
Well then who is your mouthpiece?

http://awkwardfamilyphotos.com/wp-content/uploads/cache/2010/08/sausage2.jpg/560_0_resize_watermarked_watermark-13px_post_lt_5.jpg

Howzit
8/30/2010, 04:45 PM
That reminds me of a certain tailgate.

Viking Kitten
8/30/2010, 04:57 PM
I remember that. That was a special day.

VeeJay
8/30/2010, 07:56 PM
If it can be proven that there was just a smattering of racist, homophobic ignorant rednecks in attendance, more people will think they're dangerous lunatics and the Democrats will retain control of both houses of Congress in the fall elections.

Does it boil down to something else?

Crucifax Autumn
8/30/2010, 08:04 PM
They are gonna retain control anyway, just with a smaller majority and the ensuing deadlock where neither side accompliches anything other than legislative c*ckblocking.

GKeeper316
8/30/2010, 08:11 PM
They are gonna retain control anyway, just with a smaller majority and the ensuing deadlock where neither side accompliches anything other than legislative c*ckblocking.

fun!

MrJimBeam
8/31/2010, 06:47 AM

Damn Constitution.

Crucifax Autumn
8/31/2010, 06:51 AM
I didn't say it's a bad thing. I will say that the constitution didn't include things like cloture votes that make it where even with a majority crap can't get passed. I think the majority in the Senate should be able to do WTF they want, regardless of which side is in control. Let that whole checks and balances thing happen as intended between the branches of government.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/31/2010, 08:47 AM
I like how it is now reported that the Sec. of Edumacation (from Chicago) sent a memo out to Dept. of Ed. employees in D.C. that they should go to Sharpless' rally to counter the Beck rally crowd numbers. Isn't that a violation of law somewhere in there?

swardboy
8/31/2010, 08:49 AM
The only crowd whose size matters is the one that shows up in November...

KABOOKIE
8/31/2010, 11:16 AM
I remember news media calling others racist for doing this same exact thing during the million man march.

Crucifax Autumn
8/31/2010, 11:19 AM
Luckily if I do make fun of this I'm white like the people at the rally. I'm safe!

MR2-Sooner86
8/31/2010, 11:36 AM
I find this insanely funny. Who cares?

First, how many showed up for Obama's inauguration? Was it over a million? Was it over two million? Was it vastly exaggerated to make him look better? Who knows? Who cares? I just see a bunch of idiots wasting money to go see some ***hole speak.

Second, what's REALLY funny is seeing all the lefties on here going ape**** over this thing. Yeah, a bunch of people got together who think your ideas are about as sharp as a bowling ball. People disagree with you and we're not all alike, big shocker.

"But...but you racist homophobic bigoted teabaggers make fun of Obama all the time! I mean you just called Obama an ***hole"

Glenn Beck is an entertainer with a television program.
Obama is the leader of the most powerful country on the planet.

One of these things is not like the other, one of these things just doesn't belong... I mean one of them, who cares what his views are? The other? Yeah, we better know what the hell he thinks.

Also, Obama is an ***hole but then again I'm an ***hole too and ***holes can spot other ***holes.

Howzit
8/31/2010, 11:42 AM
For the record, I am a bigger *** hole than you, and can provide signed affidavits stating as such.

StoopTroup
8/31/2010, 11:45 AM
Hell...people were already speculating before the event that the amount of folks at the event would be inflated by one source and deflated by another.

It's even laughable as to why it even matters to anyone other than Beck and the folks who did go and think they were apart of something special.

Me?

I'd rather go see Green Day.

MR2-Sooner86
8/31/2010, 11:59 AM
For the record, I am a bigger *** hole than you, and can provide signed affidavits stating as such.

Your ***hole powers are weak old man!

http://www.scificool.com/images/2009/04/darth-vader.jpg

Crucifax Autumn
8/31/2010, 12:02 PM
More importantly: Who HAS the biggest *******?

virginiasooner
8/31/2010, 12:07 PM
One of the ways to estimate the size of the crowd is by comparing the number of riders on Metrorail from one weekend to the other, plus figuring in other factors -- sports events like a baseball game and the weather (it was a gorgeous day). I live in the area and I've seen and participated in my share of rallies. And yes, there was an uptick in riders from last year (weekend before the Labor Day weekend), but nowhere near the idiotic boasts of 250,000+ attendees.

Howzit
8/31/2010, 12:14 PM
Your ***hole powers are weak old man!

http://www.scificool.com/images/2009/04/darth-vader.jpg

I was an ******* when you were ****tin yella. And I'll be an ******* when you're ****tin yella again.

Howzit
8/31/2010, 12:14 PM
More importantly: Who HAS the biggest *******?

You've got that one wrapped up, punkin.

Crucifax Autumn
8/31/2010, 06:07 PM
I'm so glad I finally won something!

Howzit
9/1/2010, 09:21 AM
BY A MANSLIDE!!!