PDA

View Full Version : TSA Screeners

lexsooner
8/30/2010, 10:40 AM
Recently at Will Rogers I was going through the security screening when an issue apparently arose with a passenger who had an item they would not permit to be carried on. The passenger was discussing the matter with a TSA official and when the screener working the front of the x-ray saw the controversy, without any further instructions to passengers, he up and left his post along with about half a dozen other TSA staff and surrounded the passenger and the TSA official, presumably to find out what was going on. That left the metal detector guy and the guy looking at the screen to run the operation. They went for the discussion like they were giving away free Marlboros, and left the passengers in line wondering if they should put their property on the belt on not.

Am I the only one who has noticed there are probably too many TSA staff at each screening site, and like highway crews, only some of them work while the others stand around, not to mention the ones outside the terminal smoking? Do these folks sort of remind you of KMart employees or county jail guards in terms of professionalism?

TheHumanAlphabet
8/30/2010, 11:08 AM
TSA is a labor union free job factory. Anyone thinking they are any safer today than prior to TSA being thrown in there doesn't travel often and is naive.

pilobolus
8/30/2010, 11:34 AM
So if adoniijahsooner or his girlfriend want us bad enough, they can still get us?

Leroy Lizard
8/30/2010, 11:37 AM
TSA is a labor union free job factory. Anyone thinking they are any safer today than prior to TSA being thrown in there doesn't travel often and is naive.

Where's StoopTroup?

Frozen Sooner
8/30/2010, 11:42 AM
The TSA is not unionized. At least it wasn't as of earlier this year.

Otherwise, great work.

NormanPride
8/30/2010, 12:01 PM
They're still mostly idiots. I got all the way to the gate before I realized that I had someone else's ticket. Good to know they were paying attention to my ID.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/30/2010, 12:26 PM
The TSA is not unionized. At least it wasn't as of earlier this year.

Otherwise, great work.

By hard work of the Repubs in Congress preventing it. Otherwise they would be adding to the number...

lexsooner
8/30/2010, 12:35 PM
A friend of mine is an agent with Homeland Security and she said TSA screeners sometimes adjust the metal detector to be less sensitive during busy times in order to keep things moving. The private screeners of before 9-11 were so bad that I cannot imagine TSA being as bad. I think TSA is a moderate improvement, but still do not keep us safe in the airplanes. They miss way too many obvious things, and if that happens, how can they be expected to foil anything concealed in even a slightly clever manner?

stoopified
8/30/2010, 12:44 PM
I'm legaly blind,think I could get a job at TSA? It seems they don't have to SEE averything or is that anything?

Scott D
8/30/2010, 01:58 PM
I can't say I've seen a lot of milling about by TSA people at DTW, but then again. It's one of the busiest airports in the US, so there isn't really any downtime.

GKeeper316
8/30/2010, 02:34 PM
i thought it was especially hilarious when, last week, the reigning miss oklahoma was "randomly selected" for a strip search by the TSA.

Ike
8/30/2010, 02:54 PM
A friend of mine is an agent with Homeland Security and she said TSA screeners sometimes adjust the metal detector to be less sensitive during busy times in order to keep things moving. The private screeners of before 9-11 were so bad that I cannot imagine TSA being as bad. I think TSA is a moderate improvement, but still do not keep us safe in the airplanes. They miss way too many obvious things, and if that happens, how can they be expected to foil anything concealed in even a slightly clever manner?

Personally, I think the whole TSA bit is just overpriced 'security theater'. The amount they add to our security comes primarily from their just standing there and looking mean, and very little from things they actually do. Thats just my opinion though.

Of course, it's also a nice thing that the terrorists are stupid. Given the successes of the shoe bomber and the underwear bomber, I think the traveling public is pretty safe even with an incompetent TSA.

JohnnyMack
8/30/2010, 02:56 PM
My proposal is for fewer people who are more qualified. Subcontract the whole deal out to Blackwater or something similar.

Ike
8/30/2010, 03:03 PM
My proposal is for fewer people who are more qualified. Subcontract the whole deal out to Blackwater or something similar.

My proposal is to give tasers to stewardesses.

C&CDean
8/30/2010, 03:14 PM
Personally, I think the whole TSA bit is just overpriced 'security theater'. The amount they add to our security comes primarily from their just standing there and looking mean, and very little from things they actually do. Thats just my opinion though.

Of course, it's also a nice thing that the terrorists are stupid. Given the successes of the shoe bomber and the underwear bomber, I think the traveling public is pretty safe even with an incompetent TSA.

Most of the TSA folks I've encountered look more like the Pillsbury Doughboy than anything I'd call "mean." The softest, fleshiest, and in many cases dullard looking people you can find. Yeah boy, I feel safer...

Maybe they have a magic button to push that brings out real cops or something. Hell, I could blow through the sloths at most airport security set ups without even exerting myself.

Finally, if Ahab really wants to blow up a plane, he'll do it and the slack-jawed, crosseyed, McDonald's transfers to government jobs won't know WTF happened.

soonerboomer93
8/30/2010, 04:02 PM
They're still mostly idiots. I got all the way to the gate before I realized that I had someone else's ticket. Good to know they were paying attention to my ID.

How did you get someone elses ticket? Did you not check it when it was handed to you at check in?

1890MilesToNorman
8/30/2010, 04:04 PM
Probably a terrorist diversion tactic.

Frozen Sooner
8/30/2010, 05:06 PM

By hard work of the Repubs in Congress preventing it. Otherwise they would be adding to the number...

I guess that mean "Ooops, I was wrong" in THA speak.

lexsooner
8/31/2010, 07:02 AM

They are not very intimidating for the most part. If they are mean, it is because they are craving a smoke break. The TSA person working the x-ray belt is typically the "good cop" and can actually speak and greet people. The metal detector person who impatiently waves you through is the "bad cop" who has no social skills. The plastic bin gatherer is like the road construction guy who stands there with the sign "Stop." The impression I get is they have not received much training and the general quality is probably comparable to county jail staff (with less training).

SunnySooner
8/31/2010, 07:27 AM
I have intimate knowledge of the TSA staff of several major airports, since all the metal in my knee sets off the detector. I get the full-on pat down and bag search, as they check my military spouse ID and I find somewhere for my 2 little kids to sit while they make sure Mom's not a super-secret-military-wife-ditzy-white-blond-chick-with-2-kids-and-a-stroller-diaper-bag-bomber. The level of professionalism varies greatly, sometimes they just wave the wand at me and let me go, sometimes I get the full on rub down, and all my crap pulled out of my carry-on for everyone to see (I'm messy! Don't judge me!). Some of them are nice, some of them are gruff, but meanwhile, as 3 personnel are involved in making sure I'm safe to let aboard, 4 or 5 actual scary looking people cruise right thru.

That's the problem--until we get serious about who it is exactly that wants to hurt us, and stop bothering me, grandmas, Miss Oklahoma and Al Gore, then it will continue to just be "safety theater", not real security.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/31/2010, 08:40 AM
I guess that mean "Ooops, I was wrong" in THA speak.

Yep you caught me, I spoke out of turn. The original intention was to unionize (or allow) TSA. I had forgotten, that the Repubs fought to keep that from happening. So I had forgotten that. Still, if they could, TSA would be unionized like many in FedGov.

Point still is that by federalizing a large force of transportation screeners, nothing is really any different security-wise and we have had a large increase in federal payroll numbers. As someone mentioned, it is mostly for show...

Frozen Sooner
8/31/2010, 08:42 AM
Yeah, you don't get a lot of disagreement from me that TSA is pretty poorly-managed. That's what you get when you implement poorly-conceived policy in a knee-jerk reaction to the last threat.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/31/2010, 08:58 AM
Yeah, you don't get a lot of disagreement from me that TSA is pretty poorly-managed. That's what you get when you implement poorly-conceived policy in a knee-jerk reaction to the last threat.

Agree to that. But Congress had to show they were on top of it and doing something...

Not a good idea usually.

Ike
8/31/2010, 10:26 AM
They are not very intimidating for the most part. If they are mean, it is because they are craving a smoke break. The TSA person working the x-ray belt is typically the "good cop" and can actually speak and greet people. The metal detector person who impatiently waves you through is the "bad cop" who has no social skills. The plastic bin gatherer is like the road construction guy who stands there with the sign "Stop." The impression I get is they have not received much training and the general quality is probably comparable to county jail staff (with less training).

I suppose I didn't state what I meant well...yeah, they don't really succeed in looking mean, but really, the biggest effect they have is to give the appearance of security. Actually making things secure is a much more difficult job. But giving the appearance of security serves as a pretty good deterrent.

OhU1
8/31/2010, 12:53 PM
Phil Hendrie (an L.A. radio skit/prank artist) did a bit a few years ago about a company called "Air Scan Security" that was training the mentally challenged to do airport security.

"Air Scan" certified that all their employees would be "helmet free". The key to Air Scan's business plan was their aversion and reward training techniques using controlled electric shock to deter mistakes and cheese and graham crackers as rewards. These highly trained employees would signal trouble with the phrase "plane go boom! Plane go boom!" if a suspicious item was seen.

StoopTroup
8/31/2010, 03:02 PM
One thing that kills me is that the TSA Folks that are there will never be able to shake the stigma of fat lazy doughboy/girl idiots as long as they make $29,000 a year and most of the openings that are out there are for Point Barrow Alaska or a Major City with a high cost of living.

What the hell do people expect? You will need to pay for Security...that's why the Airlines fought to get out of the Security Business. It's a losing proposition IMO.

Now if you were qualified enough to Supervise those folks....you might take down $45 - 60,000.

I can understand why so many people have bad experiences too. A guy or Gal who makes squat has power over someone who is condesending or gives them the eye or rolls their eyes when they ask them a question and the next thing you know you are pulled to the side and taught exactly how to act the next time they go through security.

I'm not saying it's right....but when I'm traveling....I don't give any of them any static...I always say thank you and I always avoid judging them with my eyes. I like to make my connections instead of give folks who work for squat a hard time.

If you enjoy giving working people who make squat a hard time....may I suggest a trip to wally world....you probably will have a lot less trouble there.

OULenexaman
9/1/2010, 03:17 PM
yes.....a trip to wally world where you can watch TSA trainees in the making.

SoonerAtKU
9/1/2010, 03:50 PM
I was peripherally involved in the initial recruitment and setup for training the new screeners when the TSA kicked off. It was a temporary project for the company I worked for at the time. On a funny note, some of the people in charge of setting up the assessment sites were investigated and audited because they chose places like Vail and other resort towns to hold them in, rather than sensible hotels near large regional airports.

Thankfully our end of that stuff was much less interesting.

StoopTroup
9/1/2010, 03:53 PM
What qualifications were required for the folks who were initially involved?

C&CDean
9/1/2010, 03:55 PM
What qualifications were required for the folks who were initially involved?

Breathing? You're in!

StoopTroup
9/1/2010, 03:56 PM
That what I figured....lol

SoonerAtKU
9/1/2010, 04:04 PM
If I recall, they had to pass a 3 stage interview/assessment deal and your standard background check stuff. I remember one of the phases was having to put your hand in a covered box and identify dangerous items by feel. I honestly have no idea how that might translate to the job, since they could probably just open your luggage and take a real look.

StoopTroup
9/1/2010, 08:13 PM
So if they could pass the box test and not drool or poop their pants in an interview it's "SCREW YOU WALLY WORLD....HERE I COME FREQUENT TRAVELERS!"?

:D

bluedogok
9/1/2010, 09:31 PM
I'm legaly blind,think I could get a job at TSA? It seems they don't have to SEE averything or is that anything?
If they don't hire you then you might have a potential lawsuit for discrimination.....

The most scrutiny that I have ever seen in an airport was the Fayetteville, North Carolina airport on a flight to Atlanta. It was one of those 20 or so passenger turboprop puddle jumpers and they pretty much treated everyone like they were potential al-Qaida, even the Special Ops guys from Fort Bragg. That would not want to be a flight to try and hijack with all of those guys on board.

1890MilesToNorman
9/1/2010, 09:38 PM
Well I feel safer now. :twinkies:

StoopTroup
9/1/2010, 09:41 PM
IhmKxa_FMkU

OUstud
9/1/2010, 10:14 PM
"It's all an ill-UUU-sion." /Carlin

batonrougesooner
9/2/2010, 05:49 AM
On a related note, I recently made a connection through ATL. I stopped in an electronics shop in the airport terminal to buy some headphones. They were packaged in the typical hard plastic that can be a real bitch to open. The guy at the counter asked me if I wanted him to take them out of the package for me and I gladly accepted. He next reaches into the drawer below him and pulls out a box knife and quickly removes my headphones for me! So I have to remove my shoes and belt for TSA but somehow this guy gets a boxknife through security. Just had to shake my head and chuckle.

Scott D
9/2/2010, 03:25 PM
Actually vendors tend to have those items because they still get normally sealed cartons/boxes from their vendors with their product in them. Other side notes, at least up here at DTW. If you are in the airport without a ticket, you aren't getting through the checkpoints unless you have an authorized individual with you, and you still need to have a badge. Non regular personnel are paired off as 2 individuals per authorized supervisor, and you aren't allowed to go more than I believe 100 feet from your "chaperon".

First time we had a project in the Airport, we had people who refused to return the next quarter because you basically couldn't have a smoke break unless you had a chaperon that smoked.

StoopTroup
9/2/2010, 03:32 PM
It's amazing that we can fly at all anymore. Bottomline is...if someone acts strange on board a commercial flight...report it. There are just to many freaks that are continuing to try the TSA and Homeland Securities patience.

I'd even suggest you report that box knife incident. That shouldn't be like that IMO. I have no idea how they run those restaurants like TGIFridays at the DFW Hub. Surely they have procedures for food prep utensils.

StoopTroup
9/2/2010, 03:57 PM
I'm just kidding. You should ask to borrow the knife next time and walk out with it. :D ;)

Scott D
9/2/2010, 04:34 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to find out that every store has one handy either in a drawer by the register or in their minuscule back room on the terminal level.

Chuck Bao
9/2/2010, 05:27 PM
No complaints here. I am always polite and readily comply, as I just want to get to my plane.

And, I am very glad that most airports at least have enough security screening personnel. In the first several years of the TSA, there weren't enough and the queues were unbelieveably long. There was the normal anxiety about the growing possibility of missing the plane or eventually having to ask those in the queue in front whether you can jump ahead of them. It was very stressful. At that time, you had to remain calm or you'd just make your situation worse.

I think it was 2002 or 2003, that I flew into the Seattle airport after a long international flight and they were doing construction to the airport and I had to change terminals and the wait for security clearance was at least an hour long.

I was getting noticeably more alarmed and losing my composure. The guy in front of me said: "Look, you will make your plane or you won't. We are all stuck here in the same boat for now. If you don't appreciate what these people are trying to do to ensure our safety then you should consider some other form of transport."

Lesson learned: I try to just zen out as much as possible when I travel. I either make the connecting flight or I don't.

The most invasive security check that I have ever gone through was at the Frankfurt airport. A big burly blond crewcut German guy decided to frisk me. He not only grabbed my balls, but fondled them for a second. I so wanted to ask him out for a date, except I was just leaving.

And yeah, not one of the TSA security guys that do that wand thing over my arms and legs have ever grabbed my balls. And that's fine and good by me as I would never, ever consider asking any of them out for a date. As long as they do their job and there are plenty of them, we are good.

StoopTroup
9/2/2010, 05:31 PM
Blonde German? Musta been one of Hilters Test Tube Babies. :D ;)