PDA

View Full Version : ARRRRRGGHH!!! Is "crimson" really that difficult!?!?!?!???!

SunnySooner
8/28/2010, 03:23 PM
We've been re-doing the boy's room for a while now, after he got new bunkbeds with the built-in desk and shelves and drawers and all that, and he wanted to do an OU room, proud Sooner that he is ( I'm raisin' him right ;) ), so we've been adding a few things here and there. He has crimson comforters on both beds, some OU wall stuff, light switch plate, etc.

So, I saw some pillows for his bed that I liked, one was a big body pillow thing, the other was just a little throw pillow.

Well, we get them in--the big pillow is Nebbish red, and the little pillow is Aggy maroon. GRRRR!!!! Neither are crimson, they don't match his comforters, hell, they don't even match each other!!!

And these are "officially" licensed products from a national carrier (JCPenneys). WHY?!?!? Why can't they die the stuff the right color?!?!? Why does the University allow them to sell crap that is not even close to "crimson"? Why is this so hard?!?!??! If I order an officially licensed OU item, paying extra so the University gets its cut, I want it to EFFIN' BE THE RIGHT EFFIN' COLOR!!!!!!

OK, rant over. Maybe I can die the big one, I've done that with t-shirts, FYI Nebbish red + tan or lt. brown dye = crimson, just don't leave it in the dye too long. I can't do anything about the little one, I guess we'll just stick it in a corner somewhere.

Maybe I should email Kenny Mossman, he's the one last year that sent the nastygram about buying ONLY licensed products. I'll tell him he owes me $40.:mad: :mad: :mad:

Chuck Bao
8/28/2010, 03:43 PM
I hear that rant and I agree, Sunny. One should think that licensed OU products would at least have the right color. It really isn't that difficult for manufacturers to get the right color code, if the OU licensing office was doing its job.

I only know this because I spent a few years designing research products and the corporate head office had very specific color code for a very strange green-blueish logo. Okay, the font was very, very problematic because it was also very unusual.

I hope someone important enough reads this and ensure that fans are not short changed.

bluedogok
8/28/2010, 07:34 PM
You would think between the "crimson" teams there would be enough demand for a correct color.

SunnySooner
8/28/2010, 08:21 PM
Thanks, Chuck, and yeah, dog, you would think so. In fact, living here in North FL, I see a fair amount of Bama gear. They don't seem to have this problem. All of the Bama stuff I've ever seen, from t-shirts to bath towels, have all been a uniform crimson, very little variation.

I get there might be slight shade variations, especially depending on what material is being used, ya know, a plastic cup or a cotton shirt or whatever, but not this much, it's just "UNSAT", as my hubby would say, or "unsatisfactory" in civilian-speak.

They really do need to crack down on it, we are crimson, not scarlet, not cardinal, not garnet, not ruby, not maroon, not effin nuthin' but CRIMSON!!!! An OU room should not have 16 different shades of red in all the different items in the room.

Leroy Lizard
8/28/2010, 08:48 PM
We've been re-doing the boy's room for a while now...

Your husband's den, right?

delhalew
8/28/2010, 09:11 PM
I hear you, Sunny. I could never fathom the variation. UNSAT is right.

John Kochtoston
8/29/2010, 12:14 AM
I hear that rant and I agree, Sunny. One should think that licensed OU products would at least have the right color. It really isn't that difficult for manufacturers to get the right color code, if the OU licensing office was doing its job.

I only know this because I spent a few years designing research products and the corporate head office had very specific color code for a very strange green-blueish logo. Okay, the font was very, very problematic because it was also very unusual.

I hope someone important enough reads this and ensure that fans are not short changed.

OU's colors are pretty readily available.

http://http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/okla/genrel/auto_pdf/20100211_logo_sheet.pdf

However, OU focuses more on compliance than it does uniformity of color. They'll beat your *** for using the old, slanted interlocking OU, though

http://oudaily.com/news/2009/oct/08/ou-works-prevent-trademark-infringement/

SbOrOiNaEnR
8/29/2010, 09:23 AM
Haha, I totally have the hat she's holding in her left hand.

http://ou.media.clients.ellingtoncms.com/img/photos/2009/10/07/jones_trademark.jpg

I never wear it though...it's A&M Maroon, NOT crimson...

...I guess I just proved Sunny's point. :rolleyes:

stoopified
8/29/2010, 11:56 AM
I feel your pain.

bluedogok
8/29/2010, 12:06 PM
OU's colors are pretty readily available.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/okla/genrel/auto_pdf/20100211_logo_sheet.pdf
Fixed the link...

They list Pantone 201 as the official crimson color, I did a search and that is also Stanford's official color. Seems like the crimson schools could get manufacturers to get the color right, they have thread colors listed on there as well.

badger
8/29/2010, 01:27 PM
Haha, I totally have the hat she's holding in her left hand.

http://ou.media.clients.ellingtoncms.com/img/photos/2009/10/07/jones_trademark.jpg

I never wear it though...it's A&M Maroon, NOT crimson...

...I guess I just proved Sunny's point. :rolleyes:

it seems like walmart loves to sell OU shirts that are Nebraska red

SunnySooner
8/29/2010, 02:43 PM
it seems like walmart loves to sell OU shirts that are Nebraska red

Yep, but one I ordered online last year was Nebbish red as well, and it was all official and everything. That's how I learned the brown dye trick, but that only works if the OU is screenprinted, and therefore doesn't change colors in the dye, like an embroidered shirt would. You don't want a crimson and brown shirt.

It's just annoying, you should be able to buy any "licensed" product and know that it will be within a shade or two of everything else you own, not a completely different color. I'm still...:mad: :mad: :mad:

Leroy Lizard
8/29/2010, 03:30 PM
Fixed the link...

They list Pantone 201 as the official crimson color, I did a search and that is also Stanford's official color. Seems like the crimson schools could get manufacturers to get the color right, they have thread colors listed on there as well.

Yeah, but Stanford's official color is cardinal.

bluedogok
8/29/2010, 03:35 PM
Yeah, but Stanford's official color is cardinal.
Cardinal in name only.....according to them for the print world it's Pantone 201, the same as OU's crimson. I can show you some of the different names of colors from different paint manufacturers but yet the color formulation is the exact same. A name is only a name, the Pantone (and thread) color numbers are really the colors.

Crucifax Autumn
8/29/2010, 05:06 PM
The problem with most of this is the material they dye or print on. Stuff like dye sublimation works in such a way that you have to physically color match. So even though your end result should be pantone 201, you may have to print pantone 203 to get the correct color. If you don't you can actually print Crimson and end up with purple for example.

jkjsooner
8/30/2010, 10:23 AM
At least OU basketball finally went to crimson. I remember reading an article years ago how uniform manufacturers didn't have a proper crimson choice and how Bama went with a darker more maroon like shade and OU went with the brighter option.