PDA

View Full Version : PSA about key fobs/car remotes

RacerX
8/28/2010, 10:56 AM
A while back my key fob quit locking/unlocking our car, but it would still pop the hatch. I tried changing the battery, but in didn't help. The dealer was going to be more than happy to sell me a new one and rip me on a "programming charge", I passed.

A couple of months ago my wife tells me that her key fob needed a battery. I popped it apart to find that the battery clip was off of the circuit board. I popped mine apart and put my circuit board in her key fob and....it worked. I glued the battery clip back on to her circuit board and started doing more troubleshooting.

So even though mine hadn't been working, I now knew it wasn't the battery or the circuit board. That left only one thing...the back of the rubbery part that you push on (known as the membrane). There is some sort of coating on the back of the membrane that completes the contact on the circuit board, mine must be worn down.

I found this website
http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/remote_repair.htm (I don't own a scorpio)

I took two very small pieces of aluminum foil and superglued them to the back of the membrane under the lock and the unlock. It now works like new.

The End.

delhalew
8/28/2010, 10:58 AM
Heh. Good stuff.

OUinFLA
8/28/2010, 02:01 PM
key fob nerd alert!

TUSooner
8/28/2010, 07:47 PM
key fob nerd alert!

Hey, this could useful!

......if I understood it

Turd_Ferguson
8/28/2010, 08:31 PM
Whatever happened to turning a ****ing key...****ing generation lazy tards...

GottaHavePride
8/29/2010, 08:12 PM
Whatever happened to turning a ****ing key...****ing generation lazy tards...

My old car I could get in by turning a key, but if I didn't hit the button on the key fob the alarm would still go off, and there wasn't any damn way to stop it.

stoopified
8/29/2010, 08:40 PM
A while back my key fob quit locking/unlocking our car, but it would still pop the hatch. I tried changing the battery, but in didn't help. The dealer was going to be more than happy to sell me a new one and rip me on a "programming charge", I passed.

A couple of months ago my wife tells me that her key fob needed a battery. I popped it apart to find that the battery clip was off of the circuit board. I popped mine apart and put my circuit board in her key fob and....it worked. I glued the battery clip back on to her circuit board and started doing more troubleshooting.

So even though mine hadn't been working, I now knew it wasn't the battery or the circuit board. That left only one thing...the back of the rubbery part that you push on (known as the membrane). There is some sort of coating on the back of the membrane that completes the contact on the circuit board, mine must be worn down.

I found this website
http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/remote_repair.htm (I don't own a scorpio)

I took two very small pieces of aluminum foil and superglued them to the back of the membrane under the lock and the unlock. It now works like new.

The End.Can I call you when my wife's car fob quits working?

C&CDean
8/29/2010, 08:58 PM
Heh. Look at Bryan. Posting...nay, starting a whole new thread. WTF?

gaylordfan1
8/29/2010, 10:02 PM
key fob nerd alert!

^classic.

yermom
8/29/2010, 10:15 PM
My old car I could get in by turning a key, but if I didn't hit the button on the key fob the alarm would still go off, and there wasn't any damn way to stop it.

you should see the hoops required to use a modern VW key without the remote :D

saucysoonergal
8/30/2010, 10:16 AM
Heh. Look at Bryan. Posting...nay, starting a whole new thread. WTF?

Well, it is almost footbal season. He is just warming up, getting ready for the tailgates.

;)

texaspokieokie
8/30/2010, 10:19 AM
i thot this was gonna be about Pacific Southwest Airlines.

disappointment.

Scott D
8/30/2010, 02:05 PM
heh....this reminds me. A bigtime car repair facility lost my key when I took it in for some work. Said place then ordered and replaced (at no cost to me) the key and the fob. Once both items arrived, I was given cash to take to the dealership to get said fob programmed to my Jeep.

After going to said dealership, I was informed by the tech (seriously, you're a mechanic in a lab coat buddy), that he didn't have the right interface to program my fob and recommended another dealership. I drove to said second dealership, and spoke to a mechanic (this guy dressed like a mechanic), who looked at the fob, aimed it at the little dome and pressed the buttons until it started locking and unlocking the doors. He then informed me that my fob was the older style where "programming" just meant attuning it to the dome inside the car, and the instructions were on the back of the fob. I asked him how much for the attuning, and he informed me no charge. So I ended up with an extra $50 from the place that lost the key.

The kicker, is that I learned from this guy that getting another fob is probably about $80 because it's an older type that isn't as readily available.

As for why I use one, the only keyhole that the latch actually turns on my Jeep now is the trunk. Both doors have "frozen" and I haven't been able to take it in to get them looked at.