PDA

View Full Version : Uwe says we have great kickers

stoopified
8/27/2010, 06:03 PM
I just listened to an nterview with Von Shaman on KREF where he said OU has great kickers.He said he has worked with Stevens since 8th grade and for the last year with O'Hara.He went on to say Hunnicut has the best fundamentals of most any kicker he has worked with.He said(in effect) that if OU picks a kicker and sticks with him they will be fine.

AZSOONER
8/27/2010, 06:18 PM
We also have a plethera (SP) of recievers.

gaylordfan1
8/27/2010, 07:22 PM
We also have a plethera (SP) of recievers.

We actually do! Now, will they catch the rock?

goingoneight
8/27/2010, 07:36 PM
This is the time of year when coaches are hardest on their players. truthfully speaking, Stoops probably doesn't think any of them are BAD, just not reliable. As in no Garrett Hartley has emerged. He told the receivers they needed to step it up in fall 2006 and they ended up spealling a great success story for PT. We've all seen DeJuan Miller, Jaz Reynolds, Jimmy Stevens and Paddy do what we need, we just need to see them step it up and do it more often. I don't see this as the same as Stoops coming out and saying the O-Line had a bad work ethic like last (2009) Spring. I also don't see him throwing in the towel with anybody like he did in the off-season of 2005.

Crucifax Autumn
8/27/2010, 07:38 PM
Poor Uwe may have gone insane!

soonerborn30
8/27/2010, 09:40 PM
This interview didn't happen right after he'd left the Mont, did it?

kbsooner
8/27/2010, 10:19 PM
This interview didn't happen right after he'd left the Mont, did it?

funny you say that, the whole time I was listening I was thinking he had enjoyed a cocktail or 8.

Salt City Sooner
8/27/2010, 11:35 PM
This is the time of year when coaches are hardest on their players. truthfully speaking, Stoops probably doesn't think any of them are BAD, just not reliable. As in no Garrett Hartley has emerged. He told the receivers they needed to step it up in fall 2006 and they ended up spealling a great success story for PT. We've all seen DeJuan Miller, Jaz Reynolds, Jimmy Stevens and Paddy do what we need, we just need to see them step it up and do it more often. I don't see this as the same as Stoops coming out and saying the O-Line had a bad work ethic like last (2009) Spring. I also don't see him throwing in the towel with anybody like he did in the off-season of 2005.
Garrett Hartley himself didn't emerge until his Sr. year.

goingoneight
8/28/2010, 01:51 AM
You might go back and look that one up... Hartley's redshirt was burned late in 2004 because he performed well. 2005, 2006, 2007 he was great. And his Junior year was better than his senior year by far after a groin injury made some of his kicks a little off at times.

NormanPride
8/28/2010, 05:17 AM
Yup. Hartley was every bit as good as Uwe, IMO. He didn't have to hit many game-winners in college, but we knew he could do it.

And our kickers now CAN do it, but they're very inconsistent. Except for Stevens. He's consistently terrible outside of 40 yards, and consistently low on extra points. But other than that...

stoopified
8/28/2010, 08:25 AM
funny you say that, the whole time I was listening I was thinking he had enjoyed a cocktail or 8.
Me too BUT to be fair I think that every time I hear Uwe.I tbelieve it has something to do with the fact he still retains a strong German accent.

BoulderSooner79
8/28/2010, 10:45 AM
If Uwe says we have great kickers, then we do. End of story.

"I want to believe"

- Mulder

IronHorseSooner
8/28/2010, 11:31 AM
Well, I trust what Uwe says, and he's done this at the highest level. From his video, Hunnicutt has really good form. He gets great height on the ball. The same can be said of Paddy, he just needs more reps and not to be so stressed. I don't know that much about Easley, honestly. Stevens is good inside of 40, but I don't trust him beyond that. On PATs, he rushes his kicks. He just needs to take one step, and have his leg swing up. Those things are fixable. He needs to get stronger. I'm about Jimmy's size and this was something that I always had to work on. He looks like he's trying to drive the ball instead of lift the ball.

Soonerfan88
8/28/2010, 07:52 PM
Uwe said their issue isn't physical, it's mental. From what I inferred, he believes that if Stevens had been allowed to try that last FG against BYU instead of going with Way, Jimmy would be the guy and we wouldn't even be talking about it.

OUstud
8/28/2010, 08:33 PM
Uwe said their issue isn't physical, it's mental. From what I inferred, he believes that if Stevens had been allowed to try that last FG against BYU instead of going with Way, Jimmy would be the guy and we wouldn't even be talking about it.

From what we've seen, he can barely kick a 40 yarder...?

BoulderSooner79
8/28/2010, 09:39 PM

I wish that were true, but it's not. The attempt was 54 yards and Stevens has shown zero ability to boot it that far. Now if Tennell had not dropped an easy pass and the line didn't take false start, it would have been close to 40 yards...

SoonerStormchaser
8/28/2010, 10:17 PM
Stevens has shown zero ability to even kick it past 40...

Chiliman
8/29/2010, 06:33 PM

I respect Uwe but I am sick of hearing about little Jimmy's alleged hurt feelings. Position players go through hell compared to the whiney *** kickers.