PDA

View Full Version : Home of the...../Stand or sit

Pages : [1] 2 3

SoonerPr8r
8/27/2010, 09:54 AM
Alright, can we get these two threads out of the way now, instead of having 15 of them throughout the season. Go ahead have at it.

Are the people who say Sooners at the end of the National Anthem scum of the earth?

Do you wish them whipper-snappers would sit down and be quiet so you can watch your football game in peace and hear B.B. SR. on your pocket radio?

Ready....aaaand....go!

sooner_born_1960
8/27/2010, 09:58 AM
Say whichever you want. I really don't care.

Sit or stand. I really don't care. I'm standing most of the time.

Mississippi Sooner
8/27/2010, 09:58 AM
Fire Kevin Wilson!!!

NormanPride
8/27/2010, 10:05 AM
Upper deck sits, and everyone sits late in the game when we're winning by 30.

TMcGee86
8/27/2010, 10:06 AM
I blame Britt Vulnerables.

JLEW1818
8/27/2010, 10:11 AM
I yell Sooner

I stand when others stand... i sit when others sit...

pilobolus
8/27/2010, 10:12 AM
I just wish people wouldn't puke on me in the student section.

BillyBall
8/27/2010, 10:18 AM
My dads seats are the last row of section 5 so I usually stand all game unless it becomes a blow out.

IslandSooner
8/27/2010, 10:19 AM
If the person in front of me stands, I stand. If the person in front of me sits, I sit. Doesn't matter to me I just want to see the game.........
I have always yelled "SOONERS", but I have never meant it disrespectful at all, I am very patriotic and extremely proud to be living in "the land of the free and the home of the brave". But I do get worked up over my Sooners, and can't seem to help but yell "SOONERS".
Please forgive me if it offends somebody.......
BOOMER..........

Leroy Lizard
8/27/2010, 10:24 AM
There should be a rule: You can yell "Sooners" at the end as long as you have been singing the entire national anthem.

IslandSooner
8/27/2010, 10:26 AM
That would be a good Rule.........

soonerborn30
8/27/2010, 10:46 AM
This again? Didn't we already beat this to death?

badger
8/27/2010, 10:50 AM
:mad: Latin Fire halftime performances :mad:

OUwinsagain
8/27/2010, 10:50 AM
Sooners, Stand and make tons of noise when Sooners are on D!

SoonerPr8r
8/27/2010, 10:52 AM
This again? Didn't we already beat this to death?

This dead horse gets dug up every year and beat. I just wanted to preempt all the annoying threads and consolidate them. Don't worry there will still be plenty of Fire Vulnerables! and Fire Kevin Wilson! threads

soonerborn30
8/27/2010, 10:59 AM
Well in that case...in order we have:

Stand when others stand, sit when others sit. Stand up and scream in obvious stand up and scream situations

Say Sooners at the end of the anthem. Say Brave. Say Tacos. Just sing along (and take off your hat for Chrissakes).

Don't fire Brent Venables

DO fire Kevin Wilson*

*only because I know this will **** Leroy off. :D

btk108
8/27/2010, 11:27 AM
Who cares....lets start a "let us out and back in at halftime" thread

gaylordfan1
8/27/2010, 11:33 AM

This is good for those who wants to jet out of the gates quickly and shotgun a few beers. I once faked a diabetic emergency "to go to my car to get my insulin". I'm not proud of my actions, but I was 23 at the time. And yes, I went to shotgun beers.

BoomerSooner07
8/27/2010, 11:36 AM

"I'm diabetic and need to go to my car to get insulin" works pretty well. They give you a wristband and/or stamp for re-entry.

Sorry gaylordfan, I was typing as you posted!

badger
8/27/2010, 11:52 AM
Wear crimson to games!:mad:

Yell more! :mad:

Sing along to OU songs! :mad:

FAN ANGST!!!!!!!!!!!!

Leroy Lizard
8/27/2010, 12:13 PM
*only because I know this will **** Leroy off. :D

Not even close.

Fire Leroy, and that will **** Leroy off.

jharkins
8/27/2010, 12:21 PM
There should be a rule: You can yell "Sooners" at the end as long as you have been singing the entire national anthem.

This is a wonderful idea. I personally do not yell Sooner but rather sing along and say brave, but I dont really see anything wrong with saying Sooner at the end. I am really tired of pokes and whorns whining about how anti-American we are when we do say it though...

oudavid1
8/27/2010, 12:22 PM
I yell Sooner

I stand when others stand... i sit when others sit...

exactly what i was gonna say.

badger
8/27/2010, 12:27 PM
I am really tired of pokes and whorns whining about how anti-American we are when we do say it though...

We're totally anti-american for suggesting that sooners are brave or reside in a free land :D

yankee
8/27/2010, 01:04 PM
i stand until i leave. of course i'm in the student section, so that certainly is part of the reason but....

stoops the eternal pimp
8/27/2010, 01:07 PM
Im willing to bet we'll have another thread on this soon enough..especially since both of these topics were recently talked about and this one popped up..

And what Jlew said

SoonerPr8r
8/27/2010, 01:12 PM
Don't fire Brent Venables

DO fire Kevin Wilson*

*only because I know this will **** Curly Bill off. :D

Fixed

budbarrybob
8/27/2010, 02:00 PM
If the person in front of me stands, I stand. If the person in front of me sits, I sit. Doesn't matter to me I just want to see the game.........
I have always yelled "SOONERS", but I have never meant it disrespectful at all, I am very patriotic and extremely proud to be living in "the land of the free and the home of the brave". But I do get worked up over my Sooners, and can't seem to help but yell "SOONERS".
Please forgive me if it offends somebody.......
BOOMER..........

This is me 2

budbarrybob
8/27/2010, 02:02 PM
Miller Light... Tastes Great!

soonerboy
8/27/2010, 03:14 PM
I'm an Iraq Vet and I yell "sooners" at the end of the national anthem, I do not feel disrespected in anyway at all when people say it, I mean America is the home of the sooners is it not?

Tigeman
8/27/2010, 04:56 PM
Oh and don't forget.....

ESPN sources are reporting that Bob Stoops will leave Oklahoma and go to (insert school of choice) after the end of the season.

yukonsooner
8/27/2010, 05:13 PM
I like the idea of starting a thread about being able to leave the stadium at half time. This is especially true when it is so ungodly hot (or cold). A cold one at half time fixes either. Do you think we could get enough signatures to make it happen

oudavid1
8/27/2010, 05:37 PM
I'm an Iraq Vet and I yell "sooners" at the end of the national anthem, I do not feel disrespected in anyway at all when people say it, I mean America is the home of the sooners is it not?

Cased Closed.

And thank you very much for serving our country, you guys are true heroes and inspirations to youngins like em. God Bless you and are amazing Troops and this great country.

Boomer Sooner baby!!!!

8 days.......

PLaw
8/27/2010, 05:40 PM
Alright, can we get these two threads out of the way now, instead of having 15 of them throughout the season. Go ahead have at it.

Are the people who say Sooners at the end of the National Anthem scum of the earth?

Do you wish them whipper-snappers would sit down and be quiet so you can watch your football game in peace and hear B.B. SR. on your pocket radio?

Ready....aaaand....go!

This topic is so tired -

BOOMER

SoonerfanJKII
8/28/2010, 12:58 AM

Iraq vet here too, I yell SOONERS every time, same as my brother who is currently at west point. Whats funny is that Stars fans (NHL) yell Stars every time the word star is said during the national anthem, but you never hear anything about that. Then again, you never hear anything about hockey period, so that may be it

soonerborn30
8/28/2010, 02:35 AM
I like the idea of starting a thread about being able to leave the stadium at half time. This is especially true when it is so ungodly hot (or cold). A cold one at half time fixes either. Do you think we could get enough signatures to make it happen

It's really not that hard. You just tell them you need to leave for an emergency and will try to get back before you miss too much of the game. The people at the gate aren't exactly Cleet-certified security experts here, they're ticket takers. They couldn't give rat's fat dead *** whether it's really an emergency when push comes to shove. The one time I felt compelled to go outside to get a beer (I usually bring my own...refreshments in) the guy asked me if it was an emergency. I told him..."yeah, if I don't get a beer I'm going to effing die." He smiled and handed me the pass out check. Done deal.

Oh, and to answer your question, no. This is a matter of NATIONAL security, by God!

GKeeper316
8/28/2010, 03:32 AM
back in Blanchard there was this dude named Jed...

silverwheels
8/28/2010, 10:33 AM
I don't say "Sooners" at the end, but I don't care if anyone else does. And don't tell me to sit down when everyone else in front of me is standing. If everyone is sitting, then I will sit; otherwise, I am standing for the game. If I wanted to sit down the whole time, I would have stayed home or gone to a bar to watch it.

Jacie
8/28/2010, 02:11 PM
So if the person in front of you stands, you scream "Sooners" and if they sit you can ask if they know the words to the national anthem . . .

stoops the eternal pimp
9/13/2010, 08:25 AM
After listening to the Sgt. Wilson call on the SA this morning(not sure why I turned it over there), I'm not sure how anybody could yell "Sooners" now at the end of the anthem...holy cow

Boomer.....
9/13/2010, 08:26 AM
That was very touching.

texaspokieokie
9/13/2010, 09:32 AM
2 girls were the only ones standing in section 17; about row 42.

once in each game (so far) security has asked them to sit down.

felt kinda sorry for them the 1st game, but not 2nd game.

anxiuos to see if they try it again.

(not anxious, curious)

OKLA21FAN
9/13/2010, 10:16 AM
Sooners, Stand and make tons of noise when Sooners are on D!

which begs the question.

Can one make just as much noise in the sitting position?

I sit, and I stand, just depends on position of the person in front of me. I make noise doing both. For some crazy reason, I don't think the opposing team is effected positively or negatively whether I am sitting or standing. Can they even tell? :pop:

badger
9/13/2010, 10:23 AM

(not anxious, curious)

Fans have a right to stand, but the fans around them have a right to complain if they choose to exercise their right to stand :D

If things get angsty and outta hand, expect to get stuff thrown at you... and expect security to do nothing if they didn't witness it.

Just... be nice and avoid confrontation. Please????

SoonerBBall
9/13/2010, 10:59 AM
After listening to the Sgt. Wilson call on the SA this morning(not sure why I turned it over there), I'm not sure how anybody could yell "Sooners" now at the end of the anthem...holy cow

What did he say? I can't really see anyone making a convincing argument one way or the other about the topic.

badger
9/13/2010, 11:04 AM
For those who continue to complain about "Home of the Sooners," let's find some common ground - "Home of the Sooners" will never be as bad as yelling during a 9/11 tribute moment of silence.

:mad: stay classy, noles

stoops the eternal pimp
9/13/2010, 11:12 AM
What did he say? I can't really see anyone making a convincing argument one way or the other about the topic.

There is no way my typed words can do that man justice in what he said...I would only hope it makes it way to their website or somewhere that everybody could listen to it...

A gunnery sergeant, he told the story of losing his leg in an attack and the lance corporal who was coming to rescue him was killed on his way to the rescue..he said that when the anthem is played, people like lance corporal Torres should be remembered because this is his home, the home of the brave...that when it comes to the brave part, it should be yelled loudly, not sooners...the man became very emotional and there was something in his voice that just put me in awe...he was very direct, precise, and didn't even express anything outside of his story and that brave should be yelled loudly..

you know, i've expressed i have no opinion one way or the other, but not the case anymore...If just for two people's honor that i don't do it, its lance corporal Torres and Sgt. Wilson.

jumperstop
9/13/2010, 11:16 AM

(not anxious, curious)

I would be pissed if someone called security on me for standing....at a ****ing football game. And honestly I can't believe security acctually came to talk to them. If it's really that big of a deal that I'm stadning up in front of you, just tell me. There are times when I stand and I sit, I try to stay aware of the people behind me but I don't always pay attention. If someone was yelling at me to sit down I would just tell them to stand up. Also it sucks sometimes because it is way too crowded on my row to sit down comfortably and I would just rather stand for most of the game than sit. Maybe people should start yelling at other people for their fat asses taking up too much room and not allowing me to sit down comfortably.

stoopified
9/13/2010, 11:19 AM
Whatever

texaspokieokie
9/13/2010, 11:20 AM
the 1st game, security was up there for another reason.

the 2nd game, someone called security.

...sooner
9/13/2010, 11:27 AM
I would be pissed if someone called security on me for standing....at a ****ing football game. And honestly I can't believe security acctually came to talk to them. If it's really that big of a deal that I'm stadning up in front of you, just tell me. There are times when I stand and I sit, I try to stay aware of the people behind me but I don't always pay attention. If someone was yelling at me to sit down I would just tell them to stand up. Also it sucks sometimes because it is way too crowded on my row to sit down comfortably and I would just rather stand for most of the game than sit. Maybe people should start yelling at other people for their fat asses taking up too much room and not allowing me to sit down comfortably.

agreed. the people in front of me were taking up 5 seats.. & there were 3 people!! 5! & they were squished! geez

texaspokieokie
9/13/2010, 11:30 AM
maybe they had 5 tickets.

jumperstop
9/13/2010, 11:31 AM

I heard it, and honestly I'm probably still going to yell Sooners. It was very emotional and I feel greatly not only for him and the gentleman that died saving him, but for all the soldiers and their families who have to go through those terrible things. But as I have said in all these theads regarding this, I don't see how me yelling Sooners takes away from our soldiers. I don't do it at any other sporting event or any other time singing the national anthem, just at OU football games. I bet if you asked every single person who yells it, none of them are meaning any disrespect to the brave soldiers who lost their lifes present and past for this country. Kinda like when I was at aTm and they yelled at me for wearing my hat inside their student union cause that place was dedicated to veterns. How is me wearing my hat in a building meant to serve food and as a place to study a disrespect? I just think that if you take offense to a song not being sung right, you're not worrying about the right issues. What are the guy who was burning all those Qurans? I bet the soldiers don't get up in arms about how the Muslim's rights are being trampled on, a right that those soldiers fought and died for. So is the book burning disrespectful to the soldiers. Really anything could be construed to make it seem against soldier, but for the most part I would say fans yelling Sooners at the end of the anthem is in good fun. And honestly they fought for me to have the right to yell sooners.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/13/2010, 11:35 AM
I heard it, and honestly I'm probably still going to yell Sooners. It was very emotional and I feel greatly not only for him and the gentleman that died saving him, but for all the soldiers and their families who have to go through those terrible things. But as I have said in all these theads regarding this, I don't see how me yelling Sooners takes away from our soldiers. I don't do it at any other sporting event or any other time singing the national anthem, just at OU football games. I bet if you asked every single person who yells it, none of them are meaning any disrespect to the brave soldiers who lost their lifes present and past for this country. Kinda like when I was at aTm and they yelled at me for wearing my hat inside their student union cause that place was dedicated to veterns. How is me wearing my hat in a building meant to serve food and as a place to study a disrespect? I just think that if you take offense to a song not being sung right, you're not worrying about the right issues. What are the guy who was burning all those Qurans? I bet the soldiers don't get up in arms about how the Muslim's rights are being trampled on, a right that those soldiers fought and died for. So is the book burning disrespectful to the soldiers. Really anything could be construed to make it seem against soldier, but for the most part I would say fans yelling Sooners at the end of the anthem is in good fun. And honestly they fought for me to have the right to yell sooners.

for me personally I agree in that I don't understand what it takes away from the soldiers, but it definitely means something to that guy...and if honoring him for losing his leg fighting for this country is not yelling Sooners, then thats what I will do...

After hearing him, for me , my personal PoV doesn't mean much

btk108
9/13/2010, 11:36 AM
Dayum you SoonerPr8r for starting this thing up again! :D

Crab Salad!

stoops the eternal pimp
9/13/2010, 11:37 AM
Well Im the one who dug this thread up again...just kind of took on a whole meaning for me this morning

TexasLidig8r
9/13/2010, 11:39 AM

And yet, if it was Texas' fans screaming out, "Home of the Horns..." during the song, you would probably be the first one in line to castigate each and every Texas alum and fan singing it.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/13/2010, 11:41 AM
again, to me if yelling "home of the sooners" isn't that big of a deal, it shouldnt be that big of a deal to not yell it either

btk108
9/13/2010, 11:41 AM
Well Im the one who dug this thread up again...just kind of took on a whole meaning for me this morning

Well....you deserve a spanking then.....but not from me, you'd like it too much. :eek:

rawlingsHOH
9/13/2010, 11:42 AM
And yet, if it was Texas' fans screaming out, "Home of the Horns..." during the song, you would probably be the first one in line to castigate each and every Texas alum and fan singing it.

Your point?

jumperstop
9/13/2010, 11:46 AM

Nope I would castigate your fans for stealing it from OU :D , even though I think we stole it from someplace else according to other people on this board. No, but really I'm a young hippy at heart, I don't care about **** like that. Too each their own, say or don't say it. Just don't bitch at the people who do. And on the radio they made it sound like the majority of people don't like it, but that's not the impression I get from this board and other people I have talked to. Seems like most people, including a lot of vets don't care too much.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/13/2010, 11:47 AM
I won't gripe one way or the other...Just a personal choice to honor somebody who deserves it

Leroy Lizard
9/13/2010, 11:58 AM

Possibly, but only because Texans are known for their arrogance and we would assume (and probably rightfully so) that the reason they scream "Home of the Horns" was because they consider Texas above the U.S. And it's not just Oklahomans that express this viewpoint.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
9/13/2010, 12:00 PM
My brother served in Desert Storm. He has always said that he fought for our right to say "Sooners" if we want. Several vets have basically said the same in this thread (JKII and others). It was more disrespectful that people were making all kinds of ruckus during the Moment of Silence, but maybe they weren't aware. I say "Sooners" but I sing the National Anthem loud and proud.

Yesterday, Tramel complained about lack of patriotism. I guess he totally ignored the part after the moment of silence where everyone was chanting USA USA.

boomersooner28
9/13/2010, 12:55 PM
After hearing the marines' story that called into the sports animal this morning, I will NEVER yell SOONERS at the end of the National Anthem again. It is the home of the BRAVE, and I have to much respect for those that have served and continue to serve OUr country.

I respectfully apologize to anyone I have offended for yelling Sooners at the end of the National Anthem. It won't happen again.

Boomer!

boomersooner28
9/13/2010, 01:00 PM

He basically broke down trying to tell a story that he never tells anyone because it is too painful to rehash, but he said that while he was serving his HumVee was struck by an IED. The blast took his leg and a buddy of his was BRAVE enough to protect him from enemy fire. He watched as his buddy took a fatal hit for him. That is HOME OF THE BRAVE. I almost lost it just listening to him.

badger
9/13/2010, 01:04 PM
After hearing the marines' story that called into the sports animal this morning, I will NEVER yell SOONERS at the end of the National Anthem again. It is the home of the BRAVE, and I have to much respect for those that have served and continue to serve OUr country.

I respectfully apologize to anyone I have offended for yelling Sooners at the end of the National Anthem. It won't happen again.

Boomer!

Care to share the convincing evidence with the rest of us? :)

boomersooner28
9/13/2010, 01:05 PM
Care to share the convincing evidence with the rest of us? :)

Badger, you would have to hear it from the marine, but I paraphrased it in post 66.

SoonerPr8r
9/13/2010, 01:11 PM

The braves do it, the stars do it (in the middle of the song) and I wonder if people get all up in the air about it over there.

As long as they aren't flying banners over Oklahoma I don't care what anyone does in te*as.

BTK108: Dayum you SoonerPr8r for starting this thing up again!

Crab Salad!

I did this way back because i knew someone would bring this up. Blame Tramel and the DOK for bringing it up Sunday morning. You should thank me for keeping it to 1 thread instead of 5. :rolleyes: :D

It was good meeting you at the tailgate. We had a lot of fun.

jharkins
9/13/2010, 01:25 PM
again, to me if yelling "home of the sooners" isn't that big of a deal, it shouldnt be that big of a deal to not yell it either

I think this is a wonderful point. Well said. I wonder if the yells of "Home of the Sooners" will be as loud this week as the Air Force roll into town, the very "Brave" the song speaks of.

TUSooner
9/13/2010, 01:38 PM

Hear him! Ya buncha effing wusses need to be singing.

And yelling "Sooners" is harmless, but bush-league lame.

TexasLidig8r
9/13/2010, 01:40 PM
Possibly, but only because Texans are known for their arrogance and we would assume (and probably rightfully so) that the reason they scream "Home of the Horns" was because they consider Texas above the U.S. And it's not just Oklahomans that express this viewpoint.

And yet, it is the sooner fans who in a most arrogant and self-absorbed fashion, have chosen to bastardize our national anthem.

Ironic.

So other than placing themselves over the nation, do enlighten us as to the reasons why sooner fans have bastardized the national anthem.

Fraggle145
9/13/2010, 01:45 PM
I will sing "Sooners" at the end of the national anthem every time they play it for an OU football game.

soonerborn30
9/13/2010, 02:00 PM

How arrogant of you to assume we'd give a rat's fat dead *** what came out of your mouth.

But then again, I guess I shouldn't be surprised...

BoulderSooner79
9/13/2010, 02:02 PM
I always thought "America the Beautiful" should have been the national anthem, so I sing that instead. Kinda awkward though.

Mississippi Sooner
9/13/2010, 02:07 PM
I always thought "America the Beautiful" should have been the national anthem, so I sing that instead. Kinda awkward though.

I know whatcha mean, but for me it's usually Smoke on the Water. :pop:

OKLA21FAN
9/13/2010, 02:09 PM

O beautiful for spacious skies,
For amber waves of grain,
For purple mountain majesties
Above the fruited plain!

America! America!
God shed His grace on thee,
And crown thy good with brotherhood
From sea to shining sea!

O beautiful for pilgrim feet
Whose stern impassion'd stress
A thoroughfare for freedom beat
Across the wilderness.

America! America!
God mend thine ev'ry flaw,
Confirm thy soul in self-control,
Thy liberty in law.

O beautiful for heroes prov'd
In liberating strife,
Who more than self their country loved,
And mercy more than life.

America! America!
May God thy gold refine
Till all success be nobleness,
And ev'ry gain divine.

O beautiful for patriot dream
That sees beyond the years
Thine alabaster cities gleam
Undimmed by human tears.

America! America!
God shed His grace on thee,
And crown thy good with brotherhood
From sea to shining SOONERS!!!!!!!!.

BoulderSooner79
9/13/2010, 02:09 PM
I know whatcha mean, but for me it's usually Smoke on the Water. :pop:

Oh, thanks for sticking that tune in my head for the rest of the day. :P

colinreturn
9/13/2010, 02:16 PM

almost happened to me at utah state. fratters.

BoulderSooner79
9/13/2010, 02:18 PM

Is there a better section to get puked on?

pilobolus
9/13/2010, 02:24 PM
Regardless of whether we should or shouldn't yell "Sooners" at the end of the song, I know damn well we don't need stinking :texan: coming here to lecture us on it either way.:mad:

Collier11
9/13/2010, 02:29 PM
My brother served in Desert Storm. He has always said that he fought for our right to say "Sooners" if we want. Several vets have basically said the same in this thread (JKII and others). It was more disrespectful that people were making all kinds of ruckus during the Moment of Silence, but maybe they weren't aware. I say "Sooners" but I sing the National Anthem loud and proud.

Yesterday, Tramel complained about lack of patriotism. I guess he totally ignored the part after the moment of silence where everyone was chanting USA USA.

See, this is a cop out IMO...its not about if we have the right or not, of course we do. I just think it is unnecessary, ESPECIALLY on 9/11 like last week

badger
9/13/2010, 02:32 PM
I know damn well we don't need stinking :texan: coming here to lecture us on it either way.:mad:

I think Texans shouldn't fly their state flag at the same level that they fly the U.S. flag :P [/devil's advocate]

stoops the eternal pimp
9/13/2010, 02:40 PM
Like I asked a few posts back why is it that if someone asks another to not to yell it at the end, its a big deal? People get angry about it...but its not a big deal...

Sometimes, I think people get so caught up in their rights that doing what may be the right thing gets forgotten..

And I've it myself a couple of times, but in honor of Sgt. Wilson and Lance Corporal Torres, I won't anymore..

Collier11
9/13/2010, 02:42 PM
I always have refused to say it, never have and never will. Again, I understand that we all have the right to say it, we also have the right to sing a particular song by our favorite band and change the chorus but its not the same song

TexasLidig8r
9/13/2010, 02:48 PM
Regardless of whether we should or shouldn't yell "Sooners" at the end of the song, I know damn well we don't need stinking :texan: coming here to lecture us on it either way.:mad:

You need to be able to differentiate between "lecturing" and "stirring it up."

noob. :rolleyes:

Is this your first time on the innerwebz?

C&CDean
9/13/2010, 02:50 PM
I couldn't give a flying **** one way or the other. However, leaving your hat on will get me riled up every damn time. Or yacking on your phone. Or chomping your popcorn. Or wrapping your soup coolers around a hot dog. Or chatting it up with your girlfriend about "Are you going to Affair of the Heart?"

Saying Sooners! at the end of the anthem isn't anywhere near as irritating and disrespectful as all the *******s who do the above crap during the NA. I say we all band together and toss all the disrespectful turdmunchers off the upper deck.

SoonerPr8r
9/13/2010, 02:51 PM

By the way....they don't call it the innerwebz anymore :pop:

stoops the eternal pimp
9/13/2010, 02:51 PM
I couldn't give a flying **** one way or the other. However, leaving your hat on will get me riled up every damn time. Or yacking on your phone. Or chomping your popcorn. Or wrapping your soup coolers around a hot dog. Or chatting it up with your girlfriend about "Are you going to Affair of the Heart?"

Saying Sooners! at the end of the anthem isn't anywhere near as irritating and disrespectful as all the *******s who do the above crap during the NA. I say we all band together and toss all the disrespectful turdmunchers off the upper deck.

I can agree with this for sure...

badger
9/13/2010, 02:54 PM

Oh lid... why do we fight? Is it because your fight song contains satanic references? Is it because you use a word to describe OU specifically in said fight song that no elementary teacher would ever allow a kid to utter if he wasn't talking about a vacuum cleaner?

Eff it... burnt orange is the color of puke and longhorn meat makes you obese.

TXBOOMER
9/13/2010, 02:59 PM
I stand and I am guilty of yelling Sooners. I am an honorably discharged Desert Storm Veteran. If you disagree with what someone does thank a Veteran for the right to have a choice or to disagree. If you try and force your belief on me we will have a problem.

Collier11
9/13/2010, 03:00 PM
we all have the right to root for texas but we dont because we understand it is the wrong thing to do, this should be an easier decision

PhilTLL
9/13/2010, 03:13 PM
Blah blah blah, veterans this, freedom that. Sporting events shouldn't even be started with the national anthem. Count me as a don't care.

Boomer.....
9/13/2010, 03:17 PM

Here is the call:

http://podcasting.fia.net/6779/4476604.mp3

TexasLidig8r
9/13/2010, 03:27 PM
Oh lid... why do we fight? Is it because your fight song contains satanic references? Is it because you use a word to describe OU specifically in said fight song that no elementary teacher would ever allow a kid to utter if he wasn't talking about a vacuum cleaner?

Only on one day of the year Punkin! ;)

On the other hand, I got to watch the first half of your FSU beatdown... I think during crowd shots, I counted only maybe 5 horns down from your fanbase.
:D

btk108
9/13/2010, 04:10 PM

^^This^^

stoops the eternal pimp
9/13/2010, 04:20 PM
Here is the call:

http://podcasting.fia.net/6779/4476604.mp3

Thanks

GKeeper316
9/13/2010, 04:20 PM
since america is the home of the sooners, i don't have a problem with switching out sooners for brave.

and stand. always stand. make noise. help your team intimidate the opposition.

badger
9/13/2010, 04:22 PM
since america is the home of the sooners, i don't have a problem with switching out sooners for brave.

and stand. always stand. make noise. help your team intimidate the opposition.

Because Sooners are braver than those we intimidate into not being brave :P

just kidding :D

StoopTroup
9/13/2010, 05:14 PM
I heard the reason we played so bad against USU was because so many folks faked insulin attacks.

Fraggle145
9/13/2010, 05:30 PM
When did America become the Land of the free and the home of dont offend my sensibilities?

Jeezus grow up people.

Here is what I can figure out:
I am damn proud to be an American.
I say Sooners because I am damn proud of being an American.
Some vets dont like it others do.
Some people dont like it others do.

Here is what I dont understand and I have asked many of my friends who are troops this question... (at the risk of being flamed all to hell, and I respect and am very proud of our troops)

Since when does being a member of the armed forces make one's opinion somehow better than anyone else's? I thought that was what they were trying to defend?

And they have all said to me that "It doesn't."

stoops the eternal pimp
9/13/2010, 06:26 PM
I understand what your saying fraggle.. I don't know who the "grow up" part of your post is directed at but it can go to both sides of the discussion..

Because there are a fare amount of people who do that sooner thing just because they know it bothers some..and that's pretty childish.

Whatever your choice, no biggy

sooner59
9/13/2010, 06:53 PM
I understand what your saying fraggle.. I don't know who the "grow up" part of your post is directed at but it can go to both sides of the discussion..

Because there are a fare amount of people who do that sooner thing just because they know it bothers some..and that's pretty childish.

Whatever your choice, no biggy

I think that he was talking to the people that says its either right or wrong one way or the other. Whereas you stated your position now and said, "Do what you want, this is how I feel." I doubt you were included.

oudavid1
9/13/2010, 07:06 PM

I have an opinion on that phone call but it takes to much time to type.

Basically my family has 12 veterans in it. From 3 wars,

they all told me to yell Sooners because this is a free country, and one even said it would be wrong not too.

No offense to anyone, but a Ret. US Army Col. told me, i listened.

The only reason we sing that song is because we are at a SOONER football game. If i yelled Sooners from my basement, no one would complain.

I have more opinions, but i dont want to offend anyone. To many sensitive people.

Crimsontothecore
9/13/2010, 07:13 PM
I didn't hear the call from Sgt. Wilson but I did hear Mike Steely go on a 20 minute tirade about how disrespectful OU fans are. He punctuated his statement by saying that osu fans are far classier than OU fans because they don't do anything like that.

Personally, I think people are being way too sensitive. Anyone who hears OU fans yell "SOONERS" and take it in such a way as to imply we are somehow unpatriotic are...IDIOTS!

oudavid1
9/13/2010, 07:17 PM
This man called in and said that anyone who yells Sooners are idiots, my uncle served in NAM YOU ***!!! Call him an idiot.

This is a FREE COUNTRY, no one is being DIRECTLY DISRESPECTFUL!

the only reason we are together to sing that great song is because of the SOONERS!

If it offends you, dont go to the game.

Radical muslims yell at the top of there lungs how much they hate America (and as long as its legal, they have that right) so i have the right to yell Sooners.

Now Saturday was a different story, I didnt yell Sooners. And I told everyone around me to as well.

oudavid1
9/13/2010, 07:18 PM
When did America become the Land of the free and the home of dont offend my sensibilities?

Jeezus grow up people.

Here is what I can figure out:
I am damn proud to be an American.
I say Sooners because I am damn proud of being an American.
Some vets dont like it others do.
Some people dont like it others do.

Here is what I dont understand and I have asked many of my friends who are troops this question... (at the risk of being flamed all to hell, and I respect and am very proud of our troops)

Since when does being a member of the armed forces make one's opinion somehow better than anyone else's? I thought that was what they were trying to defend?

And they have all said to me that "It doesn't."

Same here.

Crimsontothecore
9/13/2010, 07:20 PM
My aunt was killed in hurricane Andrew in 1992, therefore I am highly offended by the universities of Miami and Tulsa who refer to their teams as the "Hurricane". It's obvious that they are heartless and don't care that my aunt died.

MR2-Sooner86
9/13/2010, 07:32 PM
For the other fly over thread I was looking at fly overs from other games and of course I heard the ending of several national anthems from pro and college teams.

I know I heard Kansas City say, "and the home of the CHIEFS!"

I heard other places say their mascot at the end. It's not just OU who does it, it's everywhere. So just blaming OU fans on this is asinine.

What I want to ask to the people this really offends, is what people say not true?

Is America home of the brave? Yes.
Is America home of the cowardly? Yes.
Is America home of the weak? Yes.
Is America home of the strong? Yes.
Is America home of the Sooners? Yes.
Is America home of the Longhorns? Yes.
Is America home of the Pokes? Yes.
Is America home of college football? Yes.
Is America home of many things we hold close to us? Yes.
Is America home of many things we don't hold close to us? Yes.

As for the call from the marine, I respect the hell out of the armed services. He wants us to yell brave because that brave man sacrificed his life for him. I can understand but if I yell "Sooners" am I spitting on his grave? No.

I say we just yell "Brave Sooners" at the end and everybody is happy.

As for the whole "sit or stand" issue, you're NOT paying to watch a football game. What you're paying for is the experience WHILE watching the game. Don't like it? Sit at home on your recliner and watch it on ESPN if you don't want to deal with people.

ouwasp
9/13/2010, 08:09 PM
I heard the gunny sgt. It was good. It did make me think. I don't recall yelling Sooners before anyway. I didn't sing either, I'm very bad at music, and I would be a genunine distraction if I tried. But I think people are making too big o' deal outta this. And since there is NO WAY to manipulate what 80-some thousand folks sing, you might as well relax.

As for the standing/sitting: perfect solution is to get seats over one of those tunnel entries. I've had a source with some tickets like that, but they've moved, so I haven't had access to them for awhile. Cool thing was: I could stand when I wanted to! I didn't have to succumb to some mindless sense of "standing proves you're a real fan"

My Dad's gotten too old to go. I'm becoming more of a TV fan I guess. But I'll probably come to some game this year. And enjoy it and the memories. :)

The Ghost of Mex
9/13/2010, 09:37 PM
I don't think saying*"home of the Sooners" is a major patriotism question. *It's like going five MPH over the speed limit as far as respect for our nations traditions go. *Its wrong, but meh...

I do think it's bush league for Sooners to "traditionalize" this lame expression. *We have one of the most tradition rich programs in existence. *I'm so thankful to be sooner born and stand in that stadium to watch our team take the field against their next victim. *Our greatest tradition is winning. *The alteration of our national anthem is a tradition best left to the "traditionless" programs out there. *Grow up, be a Sooner...

Thats my 2 cents. *Take it and put it in your pocket.

webfoot
9/13/2010, 09:45 PM
I'm a vet, a Sooner, and an OU grad so hearing either at the end of the National Athem is an honor for me. It is the home of the "brave" and Sooners certainly (in a good way) qualify as a synonym in my book....as would a bunch of others.

I mostly stand and try to be cognizant of the percentage of those around me doing the same. If most are sitting, I sit and lean/peer around those still standing or watch the videoboard.

I sing the National Anthem (and say Sooners) and the OU chant - loudly and from memory.

CrimsonRez
9/13/2010, 11:15 PM
I've said this before....I am an Iraqi Freedom Veteran I am also a Sooner fan. As far as I am concerned say whatever the hell you want because people have been dying for what is able to come out of our mouths since the Revolution and not exercising that right is a disgrace to them. The people who bitch and moan about people saying "Sooners" at the end of it just want something to bitch about and have nothing better to do than that. Dang..sometimes the westboro baptist church gets more praise for saying "Thank God for IED's" and Thank God for Dead Soldiers" than people saying "Sooners" at the end of the national anthem...give me a break. So as for sitting or standing during the game....JUMP AROUND!!!!

Boomer Sooner!!!!

Tigeman
9/13/2010, 11:24 PM
The fact is we'll NEVER 100% agree on this. So it's pointless to argue, but nice to discuss in a civil manner b/c it makes us think and remember the reason we even have the opportunity to say SOONERS!

If you don't like it, then don't say it.

If you want to say SOONERS, well.... you have that right. Just when you say it, try and think about why your even able to yell out SOONERS! Just have it in the back of your mind. And be sure to thank a vet if you have one around you after you yell it! Heck do it even if you don't!

Chiliman
9/13/2010, 11:32 PM
I'm a semi old fart:
1) I can live with "Sooners" @ the end of the anthem;
2) you can scream and yell for the Sooners as much as you want (no profanity) but don't stand on the damn bleacher in front of me!
3) remove your hat and shut up during the anthem!

I feel better, thanks.

oudavid1
9/14/2010, 02:32 AM
2) you can scream and yell for the Sooners as much as you want (no profanity) but don't stand on the damn bleacher in front of me!

Yeah, my friend (who like me is 6'1) hopped up on the bleacher in front of us during the FSU game, i had to keep yanking him down because i told him that its not fair to the people behind him, he just got excited.

But i do have a question, my sweet lovely girlfriend is 5'2, so when she stands on the bleachers she is as tall as me with out me standing on them, so in that case its ok.

NatureBoy
9/14/2010, 07:20 AM
IMO, substituting "brave" with "Sooners" or any other sports team is just as disrespectful as leaving your hat on or eating a handful of popcorn.

C&CDean
9/14/2010, 07:53 AM
IMO, substituting "brave" with "Sooners" or any other sports team is just as disrespectful as leaving your hat on or eating a handful of popcorn.

Really?

Let's see, you stand there with your hand over your heart, a tear in your eye from the pride you feel for your country and sorrow for the thousands and thousands who've died defending our freedom, and you're singing that beautiful song from first word to last - albeit changing the last word to "Sooners!" because you are at a Sooner game and you have the same sense of pride for being blessed enough to be a Sooner, and now you're just as disrespectful as some punkassed kid who thinks singing the anthem is gay, wearing his hat sideways while texting his buddy who is sitting next to him - who is chatting it up with some bimbo in front of him?

Right.

texaspokieokie
9/14/2010, 07:56 AM
Geeez Dean, you got this goin on 2 threads.

Crucifax Autumn
9/14/2010, 07:57 AM
Based on the thread title I think the entire crowd should yell "stand or sit!" in the place of "brave" every game.

"...and the hooooome of theeeeeee stand or siiiiiiiittttttttt"

texaspokieokie
9/14/2010, 08:01 AM
i think this (end of song) got started in atlanta, or maybe milwaukee or boston when the braves played there.
made it plural.

NatureBoy
9/14/2010, 08:35 AM
Really?

Let's see, you stand there with your hand over your heart, a tear in your eye from the pride you feel for your country and sorrow for the thousands and thousands who've died defending our freedom, and you're singing that beautiful song from first word to last - albeit changing the last word to "Sooners!" because you are at a Sooner game and you have the same sense of pride for being blessed enough to be a Sooner, and now you're just as disrespectful as some punkassed kid who thinks singing the anthem is gay, wearing his hat sideways while texting his buddy who is sitting next to him - who is chatting it up with some bimbo in front of him?

Right.

Did you not read my post? I didn't say I felt it was as disrespectful as chatting, or having a punkassed, sideways-hat-wearing kid who thinks singing it is gay...

I do feel, however, that it's just as disrespectul as someone who leaves their hat on or is eating popcorn. You can leave your hat on, and still be singing the song proudly, but that doesn't make it any less disrespectul IMO.

It's our National Anthem...it's not the Sooner anthem. You have Boomer Sooner and your other chants, leave the National Anthem alone. Although I believe it to be disrespectful, I do not at all believe the intent is to be disrespectful. There is always a clear distinction between the two.

That's my opinion, and my opinion only. Some agree, some don't. Obviously.

Crucifax Autumn
9/14/2010, 08:41 AM
Agree or not with yelling "Sooners", you sir are a moran.

A Sooner in Texas
9/14/2010, 08:41 AM
Speaking of, today's the anniversary of the writing of that "Home of the Sooners" song in 1814. Were Sooners around back then?

Crucifax Autumn
9/14/2010, 08:42 AM
They were the ones pulling for the "rebels".

SoonerPr8r
9/14/2010, 08:49 AM
They were the ones pulling for the "rebels".

http://captionsearch.com/pix/thumb/wsz0tgm4st-t.jpg

Crucifax Autumn
9/14/2010, 08:51 AM
Or is it a tarp?

SoonerPr8r
9/14/2010, 08:58 AM
It could be a carp.

Edit: It is.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_SeCS_oHDOhI/SMS6pJBfDSI/AAAAAAAAA00/z5PoSrSF150/s400/star-wars-its-a-carp.jpg

Crucifax Autumn
9/14/2010, 09:01 AM
Sunny will be along with a tarp anytime now.

soonervegas
9/14/2010, 09:25 AM
I don't have a preference.....but I do think it is grotesque that we stole this directly from those jackass Kansas State fans. That should shame you enough right there.

This whole deal originated for OU in October 2000 in Manhattan. We heard them do it and a couple of thousand fans brought it back.

Soonersince57
9/14/2010, 09:44 AM
Well, in the end, I respect all of your opinions on this board more than the radio and sports writer know-it-alls trying to tell us how to behave.

badger
9/14/2010, 10:47 AM
Oh Barry Twammel, you sly dog you, taking our discussion and moving it to yet another column:

Link (http://newsok.com/berry-tramel-ending-anthem-with-sooners-is-a-star-spangled-shame/article/3494695?custom_click=lead_story_title)

Speaking of Admiral Ackbar, "Home of the Sooners" is OU's version of "The South will rise again" at Ole Miss. They begged and pleaded fans to stop yelling that, then they eventually yanked the song that prompted fans to yell it (followed by a KKK protest on their campus... uggggh).

So yeah, I really think we're headed in the direction of not even having Star Spangled Banner played in pregame... or perhaps having it played over a loudspeaker two hours before kickoff before most fans show up, then having the band play "America the Beautiful" or something instead.

BoulderSooner79
9/14/2010, 10:48 AM
... or perhaps having it played over a loudspeaker two hours before kickoff before most fans show up, then having the band play "America the Beautiful" or something instead.

... from sea to shining SOONER sea!

badger
9/14/2010, 10:50 AM
... from sea to shining SOONER sea!

Oh yeah, I could totally see us crazy OU fans finding a way to change that song too, but maybe people wouldn't be a whiny about it as they are about the national anthem... possibly rightfully so, but still, it's getting old to beg people to stop saying "Sooners" at the end of the anthem. People have begged for years and nothing has changed... which means something else will change soon to force fans to stop :rolleyes:

Mississippi Sooner
9/14/2010, 10:54 AM
Wow! Trammel got over 260 comments on one of his articles.

Sooner04
9/14/2010, 10:55 AM
Nice article by Tramel.

BoulderSooner79
9/14/2010, 11:01 AM
Tramel is susceptible to group pressure and group think. But that always the easier path and modern life requires too much neuron activity, so best to save it for important issues like sitting or standing at a game.

texaspokieokie
9/14/2010, 11:12 AM
it takes no effort @ all to show a little class.

or be cute about it.

badger
9/14/2010, 11:29 AM
For the record, NP and I do not yell "Sooners." But, I giggle a lot when the PA announcer is all like "The national anthem does not end with 'Land of the Free...'"

I laugh a lot more at "Gracious hospitality and good sportsmanship..." because no words in the English language (or any other language) will stop some Sooner fans from booing some visiting opponents. It's time we all accept that the same holds true for "Home of the Sooners." Absolutely nothing, short of not performing the national anthem, will stop it for some.

RoaminSooner
9/14/2010, 11:31 AM
I don't know where the "of the Sooners" came from. I seem to recall hearing it around '03 at the the OSU home game where we crushed Miles.

I hate it btw - having attended games with my Pops (a WWII vet) going back to the Boz. It wasn't a practice for 70 years, which would be tradition- so why? I think it makes our fan base look bad imho

OKLA21FAN
9/14/2010, 11:40 AM
Tramel is susceptible to group pressure and group think. But that always the easier path and modern life requires too much neuron activity, so best to save it for important issues like sitting or standing at a game.

If he was a mother...of children. He would understand. [hairGel]

delhalew
9/14/2010, 12:10 PM
I honestly never knew this Home of the Sooners thing was a big deal. It never occured to me that a member of our miltary would take offense.

Now that I know that ANY of our heros are offended, I think it should stop. I figured a sporting event was a casual enough environment that such an act would be seen for what it is.

In the end...please yeild to those we seek to honor.

OK2U
9/14/2010, 12:10 PM
Stoops also commented in presser today: Hopes people who say "Brave"are louder and drown out people of say "Sooners."
Tramel weighs in:

In my OU report card after the Florida State (http://newsok.com/keysearch/?er=1&CANONICAL=Florida+State+University&CATEGORY=ORGANIZATION) game, I gave the Sooner crowd a D for patriotism. For which I owe everyone an apology.

Read more: http://newsok.com/star-spangled-shame/article/3494695#ixzz0zWaS8g23

Should have been an F.
Just like at every Sooner home game, a big number — maybe half — of the crowd embarrassed the team, the school, the state and themselves by finishing off the national anthem with, in unison, "and the home of the SOONERS!"
Bad enough that it happens every autumn Saturday. Even more egregious that it occurred on 9/11, after a delicate video message that asked fans to respect the solemnity of the day. Worst of all comes Saturday, when the knuckleheads will unite even with the Air Force Academy (http://newsok.com/keysearch/?er=1&CANONICAL=U.S.+Air+Force+Academy&CATEGORY=ORGANIZATION) as the visitor.
This is a phenomenon that can't be stopped. Can't be shamed.
Mob mentality rules. Otherwise sane, rational, decent people lose their judgment and their scruples and their pride. Loss of pride is a powerful thing.
Oh, make no mistake. Some of the mob is made up of idiots who don't know any better. Others are cement heads, thinking it's cool to cause trouble. Some are simply swimming in so much Sooner fervor, they don't know what they're doing. And there's always the rebels who cop an attitude and yell "Sooners (http://newsok.com/keysearch/?er=1&CANONICAL=Oklahoma+Sooners+%28Football%29&CATEGORY=ORGANIZATION)" because David Boren (http://newsok.com/keysearch/?er=1&CANONICAL=David+Boren&CATEGORY=PERSON) or Joe Castiglione (http://newsok.com/keysearch/?er=1&CANONICAL=Joe+Castiglione&CATEGORY=PERSON) asked them not to.
Doesn't matter the cause or motivation. It makes us all look bad. Makes everyone from this great state look like a bunch of rubes. Makes us all seem like a bunch flag-waving zealots who will suspend our love of country if a pigskin is involved.
Readers have trotted out some ideas to try to solve the problem. Here are the best suggestions:
1. Have a military hero — perhaps a wounded veteran — make a plea, either live or on the video board.
2. Have a Sooner legend — Sam Bradford (http://newsok.com/keysearch/?er=1&CANONICAL=Sam+Bradford&CATEGORY=PERSON) and Brian Bosworth (http://newsok.com/keysearch/?er=1&CANONICAL=Brian+Bosworth&CATEGORY=PERSON)? — ask fans to refrain.
3. Just surrender and quit singing "The Star-Spangled Banner" and switch to "America (http://newsok.com/keysearch/?er=1&CANONICAL=United+States&CATEGORY=COUNTRY) the Beautiful" or "God Bless America" and hope the mob can't organize enough to find a spot in either song they can bastardize.
"I'd like to say there's an original idea in there, but there's not," said Castiglione, OU's athletic director. "All those things have been discussed."
Before a game last season, OU showed a video tribute to David Wright (http://newsok.com/keysearch/?er=1&CANONICAL=David+Wright&CATEGORY=PERSON), a former Sooner hurdler who was killed on duty in Afghanistan (http://newsok.com/keysearch/?er=1&CANONICAL=Afghanistan&CATEGORY=COUNTRY) in September 2009. A moment of silence was held for Wright, followed immediately by the national anthem.
Which ended with a booming "home of, the SOONERS!"
"The more we try to bring light to the subject ... the more defiant they seem to get," Castiglione said.
The counter-argument is that fans have the right to yell whatever they want. Which of course they do. This is not a free speech debate.
This is a don't-be-a-gooberhead debate. This is a don't-let-football-make-you-lose-your-mind debate.
In town Saturday will be an Air Force football team made up of players who will be drafted not by the Colts or the Vikings (http://newsok.com/keysearch/?er=1&CANONICAL=Minnesota+Vikings&CATEGORY=ORGANIZATION), but by units in the Middle East (http://newsok.com/keysearch/?er=1&CANONICAL=Middle+East&CATEGORY=REGIONS) and Afghanistan.
OU is calling it Military Appreciation Day, complete with a halftime salute. Which will seem empty after the nonsense during the national anthem.
I'm not big on patriotic displays. I actually did mess up that report card; I should have given the F for simple respect.
If you don't want to fly a flag or put your hand over your heart or even pay your taxes, fine. But it's wrong to inject your college football fanaticism into the respect others are trying to show.
I'm no great fan of "The Star-Spangled Banner." It's not a good tune, and the lyrics are hard to remember even for a song we've heard 10,000 times.
But the song is not about musical quality. It's about honoring the nation and the sacrifice our military has made.
We have had perilous fighting. Rockets have produced red glare. Bombs have burst in air.
You have every right to yell Sooners. Just know that when you do, you're disrespecting the brave.
Berry Tramel: Berry can be reached at (405) 760-8080 or at [email protected]. He can be heard Monday through Friday from 4:40-5:20 p.m. on The Sports Animal radio network, including AM-640 and FM-98.1. You can also view his personality page at newsok.com/berrytramel.

Read more: http://newsok.com/star-spangled-shame/article/3494695#ixzz0zWa4gD00

OK2U
9/14/2010, 12:12 PM
Stoops also said he would consider taking the microphone before the game to ask the crown to be more respectful if the admin asked him.

Collier11
9/14/2010, 12:16 PM
Stoops said he would do whatever it takes to get the crowd to stop saying Sooners

Mississippi Sooner
9/14/2010, 12:18 PM
Stoops said he would do whatever it takes to get the crowd to stop saying Sooners

Fire Brent Venables!!!

OKLA21FAN
9/14/2010, 12:24 PM

side bar:
wasn't it Mike Stoops who used to come out early from the dressing room, just to hear the crowd and the anthem's final 'word'? I think the ABC sideline reporter said it 'sent chill down his spine' (if it wasn't Mike, may bad)

oudavid1
9/14/2010, 12:25 PM
The whole point of freedom of speech is not having someone tell you what is right to say and what is wrong.

Kind od an American way to look at eh?

Collier11
9/14/2010, 12:27 PM
Again David, its not about if you have the right to say it, of course you do. Its about if it is necessary or wrong to say. It casts a bad light on the University and our fans, whether you or anyone care or not, it does

OKLA21FAN
9/14/2010, 12:29 PM
Again David, its not about if you have the right to say it, of course you do. Its about if it is necessary or wrong to say. It casts a bad light on the University and our fans, whether you or anyone care or not, it does
I think having the cheer leaders holding up the 'Boomer' and 'Sooner' signs doing the Boomer/Sooner cheer WHILE we are on offense is not the right thing to do! :pop:

badger
9/14/2010, 12:32 PM
The next student section rollout sign giveaway should have "Free" on one side, and "Brave" on the other, since they're usually the loudest culprits on this issue :P

Actually, just to be safe, put "BRAVE" on both sides, and confiscate any "Boomer/Sooner" rollout signs from previous games so that there aren't have shenanigans.

I am kind-of joking, but I think that this might actually have a little bit of the intended effect of getting more people to convert to "Brave" from "Sooners." At the very least, it'll have a bunch of people holding the desired word choice up at the desired time :D

delhalew
9/14/2010, 12:33 PM
All they are doing is asking us to show more respect. I have yelled Sooners. I will not do it again, because of the possibilty of a single one of our heros being offended.

oudavid1
9/14/2010, 12:33 PM

Well i respect your opinion Colly, but i feel just fine saying it or not saying it. It really dosnt matter to me.

OKLA21FAN
9/14/2010, 12:34 PM
so does that mean we can roll out 'BRAVE' and yell 'SOONER?

I like compromise :pop:

oudavid1
9/14/2010, 12:35 PM
eeeeeehhhhhh i guess

Collier11
9/14/2010, 12:35 PM
I think having the cheer leaders holding up the 'Boomer' and 'Sooner' signs doing the Boomer/Sooner cheer WHILE we are on offense is not the right thing to do! :pop:

I agree :D

All they are doing is asking us to show more respect. I have yelled Sooners. I will not do it again, because of the possibilty of a single one of our heros being offended.

This ^ You all quit getting stuck on having the RIGHT to do it, that is understood all the way around. But some of you, IMHO, are taking this too personal and getting to uppity about your RIGHTS when all you are being asked to do is show a little more respect

Collier11
9/14/2010, 12:36 PM
Well i respect your opinion Colly, but i feel just fine saying it or not saying it. It really dosnt matter to me.

To go back to Dels point, if you had 100 war vets standing in front of you and 99 said do what you want but 1 asked you not to say it out of respect, wouldnt you feel it necessary to show that 1 person respect over the 99 who dont care?

badger
9/14/2010, 12:37 PM
so does that mean we can roll out 'BRAVE' and yell 'SOONER?

I like compromise :pop:

We could also have the cheerleaders lead "FREE!" and "BRAVE!" cheers beforehand so that people are brainwashed into yelling the correct words.

(and then, because we are Sooners that don't like being told what to do, the chant will morph into "FREE! BIRD!" in about five seconds).

Hey, it could be wore. We could be Wisconsin, where they are trying everything possible to get their students to stop yelling "Eat s---! F--- you!" at each other before games :eek:

I hope everyone who criticizes our fanbase for this realizes that this is not a unique issue where OU is only one guilty of doing something like this, despite the administration/athletic department's greatest attempts to steer fans away from doing something semi-embarrassing. Every school has shenanigans that they will never be persuaded to stop entirely.

cvsooner
9/14/2010, 12:41 PM
My 2 cents: you're not compelled to salute the flag, nor to sing the national anthem. However, if you do respect your nation--which is represented by the symbolism of the flag and its anthem--you proceed accordingly. Don't give the Pledge of Allegiance with your left hand over the right side of your body (unless you have only one arm). Take off your hat. Stand when the flag is unfurled. Stand during the anthem. If you're going to sing, sing the words that we as a nation agreed upon. Otherwise, be respectfully silent.

I know that's asking a lot, especially where alcohol is involved.

Mississippi Sooner
9/14/2010, 12:43 PM
It seems to me the real compromise would be for everyone to just finish out the anthem with "home of the brave" and then, once the last note has faded, holler out "Sooners!" I don't see that happening, though.

Dio
9/14/2010, 12:45 PM
If George Washington only did what the government told him to, we'd still be British.

But Tramel would still suck either way

Dio
9/14/2010, 12:48 PM
Didja ever notice this only becomes an issue when osu ****s the bed against Troy? [/Andy Rooney]

Collier11
9/14/2010, 12:49 PM
Meh, I think there has been a thread about this for several years running now

OK2U
9/14/2010, 12:49 PM
I'm always kind of embarrassed @ bowl games when our fans say "sooners."
They opposing team's fans often look disgusted.

Collier11
9/14/2010, 12:52 PM
Like I said, it makes us look bad

Dio
9/14/2010, 12:59 PM
Meh, I think there has been a thread about this for several years running now

Yeah, but I'm talking about from Bewwy and various Ogles

btb916
9/14/2010, 12:59 PM
I agree :D

This ^ You all quit getting stuck on having the RIGHT to do it, that is understood all the way around. But some of you, IMHO, are taking this too personal and getting to uppity about your RIGHTS when all you are being asked to do is show a little more respect

But it's hardly a fact that it is disrespectful in the first place. Just because YOU think it is--and others--doesn't make it so. That's where the central disagreement is.

To me, it's a transition. I don't sing along with the National Anthem because I don't like to sing out loud. (I don't sing to any of the OU chants either). But I stand quietly with my hand over my heart. Then, at the very end of the anthem, I love to shout out "SOONERS!" because it signals a transition: the time for reflection is over, and the time for the OU Sooners to kick some butt has started, which is the entire reason we're there.

And the fact that David Boren thinks it should stop makes me want to do it even more. I want him to stop raising my tuition but he keeps doing it anyway. :P

sooner59
9/14/2010, 01:03 PM
On a side note, a couple of years ago at the OU-tx game, the crowd was still pretty loud while the band was on the field before the game, and a group of people were trying to get down my aisle, so I squeezed sideways to let them through and hadn't realized that they were getting ready for the anthem (which I would have seen as soon as the people got by). And some guy about 50-60 years old pops me in the head from behind and tells me to take my hat off.

I ALWAYS take my hat off for the anthem, so I promptly turned, saw the anthem had begun, took my hat off, waited until the song was over, then told him he could have simply told me it had started or touched me on the arm to let me know, and if he touches me once more during the game I will knock him the **** out. That was the last I heard from him. Even people that think they are being respectful and patriotic cans be d***heads.

boomersooner82
9/14/2010, 01:07 PM
I think we should stand the whole game :D

CrimsonJim
9/14/2010, 01:11 PM
Bob Stoops thinks it should be "the brave", so that's good 'nuff for me.

badger
9/14/2010, 01:20 PM
Bob Stoops thinks it should be "the brave", so that's good 'nuff for me.

Bob Stoops also marched onto the field held an orange in the air and shouted for fans to stop throwing oranges at the Huskers in 2004, the infamous "effing hillbilly" game.

The more people are asked to stop doing something, the more people are going to show that they have a right to do it regardless.

(although, fans have no right to pelt the field with oranges and people could have been arrested for that, heh)

OKLA21FAN
I think we should stand the whole game :D

and and and , I think when we go to Stillwater the PA announcer should at the very least acknowledge the visiting team by calling them 'Oklahoma' or 'The Sooners', and not 'the visitors' :pop: :stunned:

C&CDean
On a side note, a couple of years ago at the OU-tx game, the crowd was still pretty loud while the band was on the field before the game, and a group of people were trying to get down my aisle, so I squeezed sideways to let them through and hadn't realized that they were getting ready for the anthem (which I would have seen as soon as the people got by). And some guy about 50-60 years old pops me in the head from behind and tells me to take my hat off.

I ALWAYS take my hat off for the anthem, so I promptly turned, saw the anthem had begun, took my hat off, waited until the song was over, then told him he could have simply told me it had started or touched me on the arm to let me know, and if he touches me once more during the game I will knock him the **** out. That was the last I heard from him. Even people that think they are being respectful and patriotic cans be d***heads.
I'm 53, and if you're in front of me with your hat on I coulda been the one to pop you. But it prolly wasn't me, cause I ain't had a whippersnapper in a long time threaten to knock me the **** out. Well except the warrior princess that is.

If Bob Stoops asks the fans to knock it off then I say knock it off. Good luck getting the children with heads full of mush in the student section to listen though.

Soonerntxs
9/14/2010, 01:21 PM
I consider you all right and I consider this a matter of choice. We soldiers of all wars fought, so that every American will have a voice. We will and forever not be silent, in our rights. I say SOONERS only at the games and I have fought and bled for this country. Following the request of the University, I will refrain from this activity, as I never wish to make the University, its students or fans look bad. I will however not give up my OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO U on the kickoffs! This being said, can we all agree that we will not give up the OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO U on the kickoffs and close this ever so debated thread?

CrimsonJim
9/14/2010, 01:29 PM
Bob Stoops also marched onto the field held an orange in the air and shouted for fans to stop throwing oranges at the Huskers in 2004, the infamous "effing hillbilly" game.

And Bob was correct in doing so.

The more people are asked to stop doing something, the more people are going to show that they have a right to do it regardless.

That appears the be the crux of this whole argument. Some people want to rebel just to show they can exercise their right to do something, rather than simply being respectful to those that take offense to it.

(although, fans have no right to pelt the field with oranges and people could have been arrested for that, heh)

Like I said, Bob was correct in doing so. ;)

btk108
9/14/2010, 01:32 PM
^^This^^

you're ok, even if you do live in Texass:D

stoops the eternal pimp
9/14/2010, 01:32 PM
BTK, what do they sing in mexico?

yankee
9/14/2010, 01:34 PM
If Bob Stoops asks the fans to knock it off then I say knock it off. Good luck getting the children with heads full of mush in the student section to listen though.

:rolleyes:

OKLA21FAN
9/14/2010, 01:34 PM

Oh Canada

C&CDean
9/14/2010, 01:36 PM
:rolleyes:

What, you're saying the student section isn't full of dumbasses who'll thumb their noses at anything anyone with authority tells them to do?

sooner59
9/14/2010, 01:36 PM
I'm 53, and if you're in front of me with your hat on I coulda been the one to pop you. But it prolly wasn't me, cause I ain't had a whippersnapper in a long time threaten to knock me the **** out. Well except the warrior princess that is.

Nah, it wasn't you. But like I said, I always take my hat off, as well as tell other people to take their hat off. But there is a way to go about it. I was standing their playing grab-but or screwing around. Because of the noise, I didn't hear them announce that they were about to begin the anthem, and when they trotted the soldiers and flag out there, I could see because I had to turn and let 5 or 6 people by. And before I could turn around or even hear the first world, I get smacked pretty hard in the side of the head.

The guy that smacked me was wearing burnt orange, and the guy that told me to take my hat off was standing beside that guy wearing crimson. Not that it mattered at that point. I was already p***ed off because he obviously didn't see or care about the situation, but saw some kid in his mid-twenties with a hat on at the start of the anthem and felt he had the right to strike me in the head. Therefore, I felt I had the right to let him know that if it happened again, I would return the favor. It wasn't like he just tapped me on my hat. The dude popped me pretty hard, and was lucky didn't have a knee-jerk reaction, because we both probably would have ended up being thrown out and missed the game.

C&CDean
9/14/2010, 01:37 PM
Heh.

btk108
9/14/2010, 01:38 PM

You'll have to ask Juan...but I"m pretty sure it involves a Pinata made in your likeness, skippy.

BoulderSooner79
9/14/2010, 01:39 PM

I'm usually with you C11, but I have to go with the young punk on this one. I can see no interpretation where this is "wrong". And "bad light" is in the eye of the beholder. It just comes down to how affected you are by the people around you. I hold no feelings for songs and flags and other symbols that have been arbitrarily assigned to values and freedoms; it is the values themselves I hold dear. But I don't attend a ball game to diminish the enjoyment of those around me so, I just maintain silence. But there is certainly no "wrong" to be found here.

yankee
9/14/2010, 01:40 PM
What, you're saying the student section isn't full of dumbasses who'll thumb their noses at anything anyone with authority tells them to do?

we listen when bob tells us to be loud.

i think we can listen when bob tells us to shut up too.

C&CDean
9/14/2010, 01:42 PM
about 1 in 20 listen when bob tells us to be loud. the others are too busy texting themselves.

fify

yankee
9/14/2010, 01:43 PM
fify

nah, 1 in 7.4 is more accurate.

Frozen Sooner
9/14/2010, 01:45 PM

Jose can you see?

Frozen Sooner
9/14/2010, 01:47 PM
I'm not really sure what's so hard to understand about standing silently and respectfully with your hand over your heart to salute your country.

btk108
9/14/2010, 01:47 PM
Jose can you see?

Man...I knew it was something like that!

stoops the eternal pimp
9/14/2010, 01:52 PM
Jose can you see?

winnah...

badger
9/14/2010, 01:57 PM
we listen when bob tells us to be loud.

Oh no, he didn't tell us to be loud - he said that the crowd was quiet compared to SEC crowds and that he's been in louder environments than Owen Field.

Perhaps a little bit of coaching, rather than "plz be loud k thx" or "plz be respectful k thx" would have the intended effect?

Here, Coach Stoops, read from this script next press conference:

"Hopefully our fans will be more patroitic. I don't think it's because of how respectful and patriotic our fans are. I think that's fair to say. Hopefully they'll take a little more part in the national anthem this week."

And then, when a journalist eggs him on for a little more, saying that the fans are very patriotic for chanting "U-S-A" and the moment of silence, Stoops will add:

"I'm not so sure I'm with you on that. We haven't been a real patriotic stadium. Now, when we score a touchdown and we're running into the goal line, it's usually pretty loud."

and then, break all Sooner fans hearts by mentioning your former employer and home turf, "The Swamp."

"They're much more patriotic and respectful in influencing the national anthem, as far as saying 'brave' loud after the anthem. They're saying 'brave' all the time, when the anthem ends."

:D it worked once before!

C&CDean
9/14/2010, 01:57 PM
Jose can you see?

Insensitive racist bigoted bastage you are.

Frozen Sooner
9/14/2010, 01:59 PM
What? I'm sure Jose is touched by our concern for his sight line.

Collier11
9/14/2010, 02:00 PM
But it's hardly a fact that it is disrespectful in the first place. Just because YOU think it is--and others--doesn't make it so. That's where the central disagreement is.

That is foolish, if you say something derogatory to my mom cus you dont think it is disrespectul that doesnt make it not so. The song is to honor America and those who have protected and fallen doing so, not our football team, our state, etc...

Soonersince57
9/14/2010, 02:01 PM
I never sing one way or the other. My voice is so bad I have to register with the cops when I move somewhere.

C&CDean
9/14/2010, 02:01 PM
That is foolish, if you say something derogatory to my mom cus you dont think it is disrespectul that doesnt make it not so. The song is to honor America and those who have protected and fallen doing so, not our football team, our state, etc...

Completely off topic, but I was working out at lunch and Colby told me y'all play basketball together, and the tailgate you hang out at is Derrick's. Cool.

Collier11
9/14/2010, 02:06 PM

Agreed, people will always take it too far on both sides

This ^

:D

I'm usually with you C11, but I have to go with the young punk on this one. I can see no interpretation where this is "wrong". And "bad light" is in the eye of the beholder. It just comes down to how affected you are by the people around you. I hold no feelings for songs and flags and other symbols that have been arbitrarily assigned to values and freedoms; it is the values themselves I hold dear. But I don't attend a ball game to diminish the enjoyment of those around me so, I just maintain silence. But there is certainly no "wrong" to be found here.

My whole point is that if one, just one Vet is offended or hurt by it then I dont want to do it out of respect and I wish/feel that everyone would think that way. And whether we care what other fans think about us or not, I never want OU fans to be thought of as unpatriotic or selfish and that is how we are perceived in alot of cases because of that

Completely off topic, but I was working out at lunch and Colby told me y'all play basketball together, and the tailgate you hang out at is Derrick's. Cool.

Yea I knew you worked postal but I just realized last week that you worked out at the postal training center. Colby is good people and Actually the tailgate that myself and Derick hang at is a friend of ours, Derick has been a friend of mine for about 9 years now, and Colby is p*ssy whipped :D

stoops the eternal pimp
9/14/2010, 02:08 PM
The butt secks at SF's is so much better

btk108
9/14/2010, 02:10 PM
step...left you and C11 a lil note on the flyover thread

btb916
9/14/2010, 02:25 PM

But just because you or your mom think something I've said/done is derogatory doesn't make it so either. That's the whole point -- this isn't something that is obviously insulting in any way at all to some of us.

Edited to be more responsive: You've essentially assumed away the problem by creating a black-and-white category of what is/is not "derogatory."

Collier11
9/14/2010, 02:27 PM
Youve got it backwards. Never said it was insulting, I think it is uneccessary and I think that if ONE Vet finds it troublesome it should stop and it is quite clear that many feel that way

CrimsonJim
9/14/2010, 03:25 PM
Youve got it backwards. Never said it was insulting, I think it is uneccessary and I think that if ONE Vet finds it troublesome it should stop and it is quite clear that many feel that way

This^^^ It doesn't get much simpler than that.

badger
9/14/2010, 03:33 PM
Perhaps there's another way that can get people to stop - a video message shaming people into doing it which causes people to chastise everyone around them who dares utter "Sooners!" at the end of the anthem. It could go something like this:

Stoops: I am proud to be a Sooner.

Sherri: I am proud to be an Oklahoman.

Capel: But I am also proud to be an American.

Stoops: When OU fans yell "Sooners" at the end of the national anthem, I am ashamed.

Sherri: I'm disappointed.

Capel: Sooner fans are better than that.

Stoops: When singing the national anthem, remember that America is the land of the free

Sherri: And the home of the brave.

Capel: We are proud to call Sooner Nation and American home, the home of the brave.

Or something like that. It could be used at LNC also.

BoulderSooner79
9/14/2010, 03:37 PM
Perhaps there's another way that can get people to stop - a video message shaming people into doing it which causes people to chastise everyone around them who dares utter "Sooners!" at the end of the anthem. It could go something like this:

Stoops: When OU fans yell "Sooners" at the end of the national anthem, I am ashamed.

Stoops: When singing the national anthem, remember that America is the land of the free

Capel: We are proud to call Sooner Nation and American home, the home of the brave.

Sorry, Badj, that would have me yelling Sooners even though I don't want to. That group pressure thing triggers something primal in me.

mhackl
9/14/2010, 03:43 PM

Agreed... Never bothered me much. I adjust accordingly.

However, while I know nobody intends to be disrespectful, I really don't care for the vandalization of the National Anthem. There are plenty of opportunities and I just don't see that one being necessary.

TexasLidig8r
9/14/2010, 03:47 PM
But just because you or your mom think something I've said/done is derogatory doesn't make it so either. That's the whole point -- this isn't something that is obviously insulting in any way at all to some of us.

Edited to be more responsive: You've essentially assumed away the problem by creating a black-and-white category of what is/is not "derogatory."

Let me guess... you're about 23 years old, think Ed Hardy is the bomb and that rap is the height of musical entertainment?

CrimsonJim
9/14/2010, 03:52 PM
^^This^^

you're ok, even if you do live in Texass:D

I don't live in Texass, dip ****! ;)

goingoneight
9/14/2010, 04:00 PM

this.

goingoneight
9/14/2010, 04:03 PM
Have they ever tried just having the band play the SSB? Everytime I've been there's been a vocalist. That said, it shouldn't be so impossible to get this to stop. The stadium video like Badj said would help tremendously as well.

jumperstop
9/14/2010, 04:07 PM
To go back to Dels point, if you had 100 war vets standing in front of you and 99 said do what you want but 1 asked you not to say it out of respect, wouldnt you feel it necessary to show that 1 person respect over the 99 who dont care?

No I would say to that one person, "Get over it. The other 99 people didn't seem to have any problem with it.":D

Rickety_Syd
9/14/2010, 04:08 PM
Like I said, it makes us look bad

Agree, 1,000%.

It's the NATIONAL anthem, and the word "Sooners" is not written into the national anthem.

I simply don't understand people who say they are bothered when people don't remove their hats, talk during the song or eat their popcorn, yet are not bothered at all when a large, very audible group of people insert a word that is not even part of the lyrics . . . actually replacing one of the MOST important words in the song, no less.

And this thing about having the right to do it, sure, you got that right. Just like you have the right to make jokes about handicapped people, even when they are within earshot.

There are rights, and then there is right and wrong.

stoopified
9/14/2010, 04:13 PM
How can the administration talk abot us DISHONORING vets by saying SOONERS when the administration itself has snubbed those same vets ? How is adding Gaylord Family to Oklahoma Memorial Stadium not an insult to vets?The stadium was built and named to honor war veterans who shed their blood,not to honor a family who gave money to OU.

CrimsonJim
9/14/2010, 04:14 PM
How about, "two wrongs don't make a right?" :D

cvsooner
9/14/2010, 04:17 PM
Just stop doing the National Anthem altogether then.

Soonerus
9/14/2010, 04:23 PM
...then a loud "SOONERS"...

oudavid1
9/14/2010, 04:26 PM
that would be amazing!!!

TexasLidig8r
9/14/2010, 04:28 PM
Just stop doing the National Anthem altogether then.

The Visigoths are at the gates. :(

badger
9/14/2010, 04:29 PM
Sorry, Badj, that would have me yelling Sooners even though I don't want to. That group pressure thing triggers something primal in me.

Forget group pressure - you get that piercing death stare from Sherri Coale while she tells you she's disappointed and THEN tell me how you won't possibly be in the fetal position begging for your torture to end. When you are told that your suffering will end upon the entire stadium yelling "BRAVE," you will never, ever be able to utter "Sooners" at the end of the national anthem ever again.

Denver_Sooner
9/14/2010, 04:31 PM
What does Ebony Ninja assassin mean?

BoulderSooner79
9/14/2010, 04:34 PM
Forget group pressure - you get that piercing death stare from Sherri Coale while she tells you she's disappointed and THEN tell me how you won't possibly be in the fetal position begging for your torture to end. When you are told that your suffering will end upon the entire stadium yelling "BRAVE," you will never, ever be able to utter "Sooners" at the end of the national anthem ever again.

If I get that piercing death stare from Sherri, I'll be bent over ready to accept that spankin' that I so richly deserve.

sooner59
9/14/2010, 04:35 PM
....Land of the Free and Brave....

....And the home of the SOONERS!!!

There. We just sing it that way. The brave are recognized and the only people we **** off are other teams' fans and Francis Scott Key. You're welcome.

btb916
9/14/2010, 04:46 PM
Let me guess... you're about 23 years old, think Ed Hardy is the bomb and that rap is the height of musical entertainment?

Stereotype much?

I think people make a big deal out of nothing far too often and this is just another chance for some to get angry and shake their finger at others. I'm just fatigued with all the outrage. I just wish people would relax.

TexasLidig8r
9/14/2010, 04:49 PM
Stereotype much?

I think people make a big deal out of nothing far too often and this is just another chance for some to get angry and shake their finger at others. I'm just fatigued with all the outrage. I just wish people would relax.

Come on Skippy.. how accurate? Oh.. and let me guess... flip flops and cargo shorts 90% of the time and you couldn't possibly set forth the differences between Armani and Oxxford?

It's not about outrage.. it's about the bastardization of our national anthem, which if done by any other school, the Ou fanbase would be one of the most militant in its bashing of same.

Boomer.....
9/14/2010, 04:53 PM
Traber, is that you?

rawlingsHOH
9/14/2010, 04:54 PM
you couldn't possibly set forth the differences between Armani and Oxxford?

For some reason the Texas Tech "Intro Vid" just popped into my mind! lol

OKLA21FAN
maybe there can be a cue from the Soonervision, giving the 'all-clear' to show some pride. :pop:

cvsooner
The Visigoths are at the gates. :(

And whose state wants to secede for the second time?

XingTheRubicon
9/14/2010, 04:58 PM
this will never die...the "Sooners!" at the end of the NA. Mainly, it will never die because the dorks that do it, are so proud that they actually know something, they almost have to do it.

TexasLidig8r
9/14/2010, 05:01 PM
And whose state wants to secede for the second time?

When this Great Nation's "leader" emphasizes "diversity" and "tolerance," on the anniversary of the worst domestic terrorist attack in our proud Nation's history and ignores fundamental beliefs like "firm resolve" and "righteous might" and staying true to the fundamental tenets of justice and faith.. and when we are so caught up in political correctness and advancing not based upon our individual gifts, our intellect, our perseverence and our hard work, but upon the color of our skin... then we have lost our way.

Soonersince57
9/14/2010, 05:07 PM

Watch out. There are a bunch of guys here that would like Sherri to abuse them. :D

BoulderSooner79
9/14/2010, 05:10 PM
Come on Skippy.. how accurate? Oh.. and let me guess... flip flops and cargo shorts 90% of the time and you couldn't possibly set forth the differences between Armani and Oxxford?

It's not about outrage.. it's about the bastardization of our national anthem, which if done by any other school, the Ou fanbase would be one of the most militant in its bashing of same.

Now you stereo typing the entire fanbase? It's just a song and if it helps us pause for a minute and be thankful for what we have and who made it possible, I'm all for it. If I'm forced to worship a song like a golden idol; well it ain't happenin' to this American. Go ahead and change a verse at your next game in Austin and I won't be howling.

badger
9/14/2010, 05:10 PM
Watch out. There are a bunch of guys here that would like Sherri to abuse them. :D

Sherri is a coach, not an abuser. If she wants to punish you, you're gonna get CPwn3d.

http://img.coxnewsweb.com/C/05/24/76/image_2676245.jpg

So... how many of you wanna say "brave" now? :D

BoulderSooner79
9/14/2010, 05:12 PM
Sherri is a coach, not an abuser. If she wants to punish you, you're gonna get CPwn3d.

http://img.coxnewsweb.com/C/05/24/76/image_2676245.jpg

So... how many of you wanna say "brave" now? :D

I'm still in. (You knew that was coming, didn't you? )

ouduckhunter
9/14/2010, 05:20 PM
They do it out here at the Portland Timbers Soccer games too (they join the MLS next season). The first time it happened Pac10Sux and I were mad that they had stolen it from us. This is also one of the most liberal, and un-churched states in the country so most of these folks don't care who or what they offend just as long as they think they're hip and trendy!

stoopified
9/14/2010, 05:22 PM
zfor the record ZI have been a season ticketholder since 1987 and I have nefe said SOONERS at the end of the National Anthem,until about 1992 I dfidn't realize that ANYONE yelled SOONERS.My problem is with the hypocrisy of Boren and the administration.It is OK for them to insult vets but fans can't say SOONERS?

sooner59
9/14/2010, 05:27 PM

This is rich. Lid talking about the way people dress. :rolleyes:

Flip flops and cargo shorts >>>>> bowties and burnt orange sunglasses. :P

GrapevineSooner
9/14/2010, 05:29 PM

Does this mean Lid hates it when Dallas Stars fans yell "STARS!!" during the National Anthem at Stars games? :)

OKLA21FAN
9/14/2010, 05:34 PM
Does this mean Lid hates it when Dallas Stars fans yell "STARS!!" during the National Anthem at Stars games? :)
Or when the Anaheim Duck fans, 'boooooo' during the national anthem when the word 'STARS' is sung when playing the Dallas Stars? :pop:

TexasLidig8r
9/14/2010, 05:36 PM

Yes I do.

It's incredibly stupid... but the cocaine and boob crowd are into it... choads.

OKLA21FAN
9/14/2010, 05:42 PM
Yes I do.

It's incredibly stupid... but the cocaine and boob crowd are into it... choads.

Those are Mav fans now

goingoneight
9/14/2010, 05:56 PM
Lid isn't piling on because he's oh-so-upset. He never has to go to Norman. If he was so upset about "home of the SOONERS," he'd get onto the Texas Longhorn faithful for flying their version of the American flag that has all of the stars changed to little Hook'ems. While I know damn near every sports team has one of these flags, I'm just sayin... he's here to take a steaming curler on Sooner fans.

At least that's what I suspect. Still, it's true. "Home of the SOONERS" needs to stop out of respect. If you wanna scream "Sooner" loudly... wait til they scream "Boomer" afterward.

redhawk49
9/14/2010, 06:12 PM
http://www.newson6.com/global/story.asp?s=13153785
per Bob.....

Fraggle145
9/14/2010, 06:20 PM

Dude. You are such a doosh sometimes.

Armani and Oxxford. Give me a ****in' break. :rolleyes:

Frozen Sooner
9/14/2010, 06:21 PM
I'm wearing cargo shorts and flip-flops right now, as it happens.

CrimsonJim
9/14/2010, 06:21 PM

Sometimes?

btb916
9/14/2010, 06:24 PM

Armani suits are crap anyway. My tailor showed me numerous examples of how easily they fall apart.

Charge a lot and make only a few, and dudes like this will come out in droves to buy it.

TexasLidig8r
9/14/2010, 06:33 PM
Armani suits are crap anyway. My tailor showed me numerous examples of how easily they fall apart.

Charge a lot and make only a few, and dudes like this will come out in droves to buy it.

It depends on if it's an Armani Collezioni. As I'm sure your tailor told you, there are various grades of Armani, depending on the mill the wool comes from, whether the suit is fully lined, whether it is fully or partially machine made.

I prefer for the most part, either Oxxford or bespoke.

Now.. come on.. 23 years old?.. doosh-rooster hair?

josh09
9/14/2010, 06:35 PM
No.

Fraggle145
9/14/2010, 06:36 PM
It depends on if it's an Armani Collezioni. As I'm sure your tailor told you, there are various grades of Armani, depending on the mill the wool comes from, whether the suit is fully lined, whether it is fully or partially machine made.

I prefer for the most part, either Oxxford or bespoke.

Now.. come on.. 23 years old?.. doosh-rooster hair?

So I guess your **** doesnt stink either?