PDA

View Full Version : Question for my peeps...

Okla-homey
8/27/2010, 07:41 AM
If you got half-way to work, and realized you left your cell phone at home, would you:

a. turn around and go get your phone, even though you will now be late.

b. have a panic attack

c. say to yourself "oh well, I guess I'll live" and proceed to work.

d. I don't have a cell phone therefore, I cannot answer this question.

royalfan5
8/27/2010, 07:49 AM
C. Nobody important is going to call my cell phone during the day.

SoonerJack
8/27/2010, 07:50 AM
definitely C.

Crimsontothecore
8/27/2010, 07:54 AM
Definitely A.

I would rather show up with no pants on than without my cell.

SunnySooner
8/27/2010, 08:05 AM
C. I try to remember I went many years without a cell phone, and somehow survived.

Of course, I'm sure on my way home, I'd run over a nail and have a flat tire. That kind of thing ONLY happens on days you forget your phone.

sooner_born_1960
8/27/2010, 08:06 AM
C.

1890MilesToNorman
8/27/2010, 08:10 AM
E. My phone is right here.

texaspokieokie
8/27/2010, 08:33 AM
D. don't have one.

BillyBall
8/27/2010, 08:36 AM
A. It is an inconvenient yet crucial electronic leash. I actually think my boss would fire me if I didn't have my phone on me.

SanJoaquinSooner
8/27/2010, 08:41 AM
c. it happened yesterday.

kbsooner21
8/27/2010, 09:01 AM
A.

JohnnyMack
8/27/2010, 09:08 AM
Between my real wife and my work wife I can't really be without the damn thing.

Sooner24
8/27/2010, 09:11 AM
C

btk108
8/27/2010, 09:12 AM
C

olevetonahill
8/27/2010, 09:14 AM
Shoulda been a pole

C&CDean
8/27/2010, 09:16 AM
C for sure. One of the things I enjoy the most about our annual Colorado elk hunt is not having any phone reception and not looking at emails all damn day.

My kid (who is in his 3rd week of basic training) had real issues with not having his phone with him (they take them away when you arrive). He said not having his phone to text was worse than them taking away his cigarettes. That's how ****ed up we've become with the cell phones. When texting is more addictive than nicotine something is wrong.

sooner_born_1960
8/27/2010, 09:32 AM
I've never had a phone that could read my email. I don't have a text plan, and rarely use the phone anyway. It is pretty much inconsequential whether or not I have my phone with me.

texaspokieokie
8/27/2010, 02:32 PM
am i the only one that doesn't have a cell phone ???

actually i do have one; it came with my pick-up.
and i have used it a few times.

C&CDean
8/27/2010, 02:40 PM
am i the only one that doesn't have a cell phone ???

actually i do have one; it came with my pick-up.
and i have used it a few times.

I've never owned a cell phone. I was one of the first to ever use one though (had one of those big brick things that you put in a pouch that had a shoulder strap and you got maybe 2-hours out of a battery - and that was total use, not just talking time) back in 1991 or 92. All the ones I've had are owned by the company.

I've also never owned a computer. Actually, I take that back. I was driving down Tecumseh in Norman back in maybe 96 or 97 and laying on the side of the road was a Dell box. I stop and picked it up. It had a brand new Dell computer, a keyboard, and a mouse in it. My wife bought a small monitor and we set it up at home. It was either a 286 or a 386, I can't remember. Anyhow, we got the innerweb via AOL but I shut it down the next month after I caught my 7th grader in some chat room at 2 am on a school night. **** that noise. Never bought one, and never owned one since. I gave that one to my oldest son after I cancelled AOL.

JohnnyMack
8/27/2010, 02:46 PM
I've never owned a cell phone. I was one of the first to ever use one though (had one of those big brick things that you put in a pouch that had a shoulder strap and you got maybe 2-hours out of a battery - and that was total use, not just talking time) back in 1991 or 92. All the ones I've had are owned by the company.

I've also never owned a computer. Actually, I take that back. I was driving down Tecumseh in Norman back in maybe 96 or 97 and laying on the side of the road was a Dell box. I stop and picked it up. It had a brand new Dell computer, a keyboard, and a mouse in it. My wife bought a small monitor and we set it up at home. It was either a 286 or a 386, I can't remember. Anyhow, we got the innerweb via AOL but I shut it down the next month after I caught my 7th grader in some chat room at 2 am on a school night. **** that noise. Never bought one, and never owned one since. I gave that one to my oldest son after I cancelled AOL.

Watching your fat fingers try and operate a Blackberry is always entertaining.

C&CDean
8/27/2010, 02:52 PM
Watching your smooth fingers manipulate my foreskin is pretty groovy too.

IB4OU2
8/27/2010, 02:57 PM

Wow! We sure enjoy your telepathic posting!

SoonerDood
8/27/2010, 03:13 PM
C. Can't take it into work anyway, so what's it matter if I leave it downstairs, in the car, or at home?

C&CDean
8/27/2010, 03:31 PM
Wow! We sure enjoy your telepathic posting!

I'm good, ain't I?

Mississippi Sooner
8/27/2010, 03:40 PM
I've never had a phone that could read my email. I don't have a text plan, and rarely use the phone anyway. It is pretty much inconsequential whether or not I have my phone with me.

Same here. I have one that I carry with me most of the time, but it's always turned off unless I want to call someone. For most of my life, a time in which cell phones didn't exist, I was always proud of my ability to disappear from the world when I took the notion. I have no intention of abandoning that ability, modern technology not withstanding.

GKeeper316
8/27/2010, 03:49 PM
C.

And this is a point of contention between me and my boss. I have been trying to get it through his head that MY phone is for MY conveinience, and if he wants me to have a phone on me at all times, he can pay for it. As long as I'm the one that pays the bill, I'm the one who decides when, or even if, I pick it up when it rings.

BillyBall
8/27/2010, 03:56 PM
C.

And this is a point of contention between me and my boss. I have been trying to get it through his head that MY phone is for MY conveinience, and if he wants me to have a phone on me at all times, he can pay for it. As long as I'm the one that pays the bill, I'm the one who decides when, or even if, I pick it up when it rings.

Thus my problem, work pays for phone and so I kind of have an obligation to have it on me at all times.

yermom
8/27/2010, 04:17 PM
twice this week i was in a hurry and left for class without my phone. i have things like my schedule and to-do lists on it

being the first week of class, it was kind of a pain to get to campus and be stuck without it the rest of the day

an iPhone is as much a computer as it is a phone though

IB4OU2
8/27/2010, 04:22 PM
I'm good, ain't I?

best evar!

StoopTroup
8/27/2010, 05:04 PM
I'd just turn around...go home and take the day off. If everything doesn't start out perfect....there's really no reason to try and recover and then have to work late. Just go Home...get your cell phone....go get yourself some breakfast somewhere nice....then go back Home change into something comfortable and later go see a movie. Tomorrow will much better. :D

yermom
8/27/2010, 05:08 PM
now you are talking

TUSooner
8/27/2010, 05:29 PM
E. Have your wife bring it to you, and PDQ! As if.... :rolleyes:

I might go back, but if I were over the Miss River I'd just get by without it, as I have done a couple of times.

KC//CRIMSON
8/27/2010, 07:48 PM
C for sure. One of the things I enjoy the most about our annual Colorado elk hunt is not having any phone reception and not looking at emails all damn day.

The only person on the planet who didn't hear about 9/11 until three days later, ladies and gentlemen.

afs
8/27/2010, 07:56 PM
c. Legally can't bring it into the building. Even so, it's just a phone.

SCOUT
8/27/2010, 08:23 PM
I work from home so I just walk back into the bedroom and pick it up.

Ike
8/27/2010, 11:36 PM
Right now, C. In the couple weeks before the new kid was born, it would have been A.

Chuck Bao
8/28/2010, 02:26 AM
I'll have to go with C.

I hate cell phones. But, they are a necessary evil since Thailand seemed to just skip over that land line business.

I bought a hi-tech phone 6 months ago and it was all the time doing things that I didn't understand and I didn't want, like pop up weather updates. Well, duh, it like rains every day for six months and is dry six months. I really don't need to have a pop-up screen on my phone to tell me that there is a good chance of rain during the monsoon season. I hadn't realized it before, but my phone bill rose 3x since getting this phone because the phone company was charging me for internet access. Earlier this week, I traded that bitch in for a very simple and cheap phone that does just what it is supposed to do.

Crucifax Autumn
8/28/2010, 02:55 AM
They should try making a cell that's practical for talking on. No one can hear you and you sure as **** can't hear them.

Mississippi Sooner
8/28/2010, 07:18 AM
They should try making a cell that's practical for talking on. No one can hear you and you sure as **** can't hear them.

There are still large areas of the country where there is little or no service. If you live in BFE like I do, the only way to use a cell phone at my house is to go out on the back porch and stand in one particular area. Move just a step or two in any direction, and the call drops.

High technology, but out here in the boonies it still reminds me of them climbing the pole to use the phone on Green Acres.

Crucifax Autumn
8/28/2010, 10:04 AM
Hell, I live in a huge city with all that friggin' coverage and it doesn't help the fact that cell phones suck as far as ability to actually communicate. I say "what? more than all other words combined in a cell conversation. This has been true of literally 30+ phones of all costs from at least 4 manufacturers. They just plain blow.

delhalew
8/28/2010, 10:29 AM
I have to have one for work...otherwise I might just flush the POS.

unbiasedtruth
8/29/2010, 05:18 AM
C. Left home many a time without it.

GottaHavePride
8/29/2010, 08:11 PM
A. I do a ton of work on my phone. Especially considering how many times I wind up having to do weird crap out of the office and my bosses need to get in touch with me.

GKeeper316
8/29/2010, 08:16 PM
There are still large areas of the country where there is little or no service. If you live in BFE like I do, the only way to use a cell phone at my house is to go out on the back porch and stand in one particular area. Move just a step or two in any direction, and the call drops.

High technology, but out here in the boonies it still reminds me of them climbing the pole to use the phone on Green Acres.

america is very far behind the curve (globally speaking) in regards to cell/wireless coverage and available bandwidth.

"industry experts" say its because the USA is so large, area wise, that by the time we get the whole country to where europe and asia are right now, it would be time to upgrade the whole system again.

soonersweetie
9/3/2010, 06:04 PM
I would go back and get my cell phone.

I don't have a data plan as I don't think I would use it that much, and I consider it a luxury. But I would die without my cell and being able to text. I keep in touch with my kids that way.