PDA

View Full Version : So, my daughter is now at OU, and

TUSooner
8/26/2010, 06:19 PM
after 1 week she's miserable. :( :( :(
Her classes are OK, but she perceives that almost all the other freshmen are from Oklahoma and already have their closed group friends and don't care to meet anybody else. I know this will pass (we ARE talking about being barely a week in), but still, that's just not what you want to hear. I'm bummed.

picasso
8/26/2010, 06:26 PM
I was the same way as a frosh and my first year in art school. Then I had the time of my life.
Tell her the best part is meeting new people! That social growth was as important as hitting the books.

TUSooner
8/26/2010, 06:31 PM
I was the same way as a frosh and my first year in art school. Then I had the time of my life.
Tell her the best part is meeting new people! That social growth was as important as hitting the books.

Thanks, pic. Older people know all that. But meeting new people seems to be the problem du jour, Over time she makes a lot of good friends, but she's not extremely outgoing, and the opportunities to meet new people seem scarce to her because of the "already got my friends" deal. I'm just getting worn out from saying, "be patient; it WILL get better," even though I know it's true.

SicEmBaylor
8/26/2010, 06:35 PM
Her classes are OK, but she perceives that almost all the other freshmen are from Oklahoma and already have their closed group friends and don't care to meet anybody else. I know this will pass (we ARE talking about being barely a week in), but still, that's just not what you want to hear. I'm bummed.

The best thing she can do is get involved with some student organizations. I somewhat had the same problem when I first got to Baylor -- I barely knew anyone in Texas and didn't know a single person at Baylor or in Waco. Plus, my birthday was like the 2nd week of school and nobody knew me, so I got a little down in the dumps. After I started getting involved in different projects and groups though that all totally changed.

SicEmBaylor
8/26/2010, 06:38 PM
It could be a lot worse though. As bad as that might be at OU or OSU, it could be NSU. That place was like Fort Gibson's 13th grade. You're basically going to college with all of the same people you went to school with your entire damned life. That never had much appeal to me, but I can't imagine going to a place like that when you're out of state and don't know anyone.

XingTheRubicon
8/26/2010, 06:49 PM

My niece is a sophomore at OU...lives with 3 other girls in a house near campus. Nicest girls you'd ever want to meet, 2 from Texas, and 2 from OK. They would be happy to meet your daughter show her around if it's allright with her. Interestingly enough, 2 of them (my niece, Bethany and one of the roomies) were in New Orleans a few years ago doing volunteer work.

yankee
8/26/2010, 07:29 PM
it happens a lot more thank you think TUSooner. I was the same way for the first SEVERAL weeks of my freshman year. college was a huge adjustment to me and i had some great friends from my hometown that were at all different kinds of colleges. like sicem said, joining a student organization (or more!) is a great start. things'll get better.

NorthernIowaSooner
8/26/2010, 08:10 PM
i had that problem when i moved to college im 25 now, i only knew two people in town, my sister who lived across town and a friends high school girlfriend so no one to really hang with and im kind of shy and felt overwhelmed with all the new people around and not having a good idea of how to be friends with them.

i joined our dorm floors intramural softball team a couple weeks into the fall semester b/c i like baseball and it turned out to be a good way to start making new friends as we would often head to the dining center afterwards. i agree with just findind some campus activities that interest her and thats a good start to find some people with common interest. my biggest interest was getting drunk, so i joined a fraternity in the spring semester

Okla-homey
8/26/2010, 08:10 PM

My kid joined a sorority. Made all the diff. She didn't do fall rush, but because all her HS buds at her school did, she was sorta left out in the cold. She did Spring rush her freshman year and it made all the diff for her.

But as you also must realize, most kids are homesick the first several weeks. Hat's off to her for choosing a school far enough away that her mama and daddy won't be there to "helicopter parent." ;)

Your mileage may vary.

SicEmBaylor
8/26/2010, 08:13 PM
Intramural sports are great. I only signed up for one during my dorm days...intramural mini-golf. As it turned out, I was the only person who signed up. Not just the only one on my floor, in my building, but the entire university.

It was kind of embarrassing.

yankee
8/26/2010, 08:19 PM
Intramural sports are great. I only signed up for one during my dorm days...intramural mini-golf. As it turned out, I was the only person who signed up. Not just the only one on my floor, in my building, but the entire university.

that's why you play the good IM sports like football, basketball, softball and the co-ed ones. :cool:

Okla-homey
8/26/2010, 08:24 PM

But be honest, your mom has your "BU Intramural Mini-Golf Champion Trophy" on a shelf in your old room doesn't she?:D

SicEmBaylor
8/26/2010, 08:28 PM
But be honest, your mom has your "BU Intramural Mini-Golf Champion Trophy" on a shelf in your old room doesn't she?:D

Damn right she does. Momma's proud of her boy.

setem
8/26/2010, 08:30 PM
I'll be friends with her!

badger
8/26/2010, 08:33 PM
I initially wasn't having too much fun so far away from home either. The best thing you can do to be sane and make friends is to not camp in your dorm room 24/7 and get join clubs and stuff. you have to actually meet people before you add them to facebook :)

royalfan5
8/26/2010, 08:37 PM
I found that a willingness to drink underage helped me to make friends.

sooner59
8/26/2010, 08:43 PM
Being from Oklahoma doesn't mean you know each other. I made tons of friends before I knew where they were from. Seeing groups first semester isn't uncommon because some high school friend go to college together, but you gradually meet so many people that you lose your cliques that you came in with and form new ones. I knew one or two people when I got to OU and they were a few years older than me. I am from a small town in southern Oklahoma so it was a culture shock. I just started talking to people, and most people are nice and outgoing there. I made friends from other small towns, bigger cities, Texas, Kansas, Colorado, South Africa, you name it. I even met my g/f of 5 years during her first semester and she is from Dallas. Its always weird and not completely comfortable the first few weeks, but it passes. And I ended up having the time of my life.

SunnySooner
8/26/2010, 09:27 PM
Yep, join, join, join...sorority (most of which are worlds apart from fraternities, and are actually places you would like your baby girl to live), intramurals, whatever floats her boat, new friends are not going to knock on her door while she's camped out in her room and ask her to go get pizza with them, she has to put herself out there, and joining groups is the easiest way to do that because you at least have something in common with the other people in the group. That's actually how I met Mr. SS, as a matter of fact. I came from Podunk, OK, and of the 99 of us that graduated, 75 of us had been together since Kindergarten, I was the only one who went to OU, didn't know a soul besides my brother. I know how she feels, but I promise you, if she can just find the courage (and I'm sure she can) to stick her nose out her door a little more often, she'll soon be staying up all night talking with all her new friends, and then heading over to Couch Cafeteria at 6 for chocolate waffles. Gotta earn that Freshman 15 somewhere. Good luck, tell her we've all been there, it turns out great, and we're pulling for her!!

SoonerDood
8/26/2010, 09:34 PM
I found that a willingness to drink underage helped me to make friends.

^THIS!!

right, NP? ;)

TUSooner
8/26/2010, 09:40 PM
Thanks, everybody. I am reassured that she's doing the right things; she's on a frisbie team for one thing. She didn't do rush, but she and her roomie might be rethinking. At least I know shes' not sitting in her room moping.

As for the underage drinking... well, the girl WAS born and raised in New Orleans. So all that's lacking so far is the source. Can she knock back a few beers at the tailgate ?? :D

Soonerus
8/26/2010, 09:53 PM
Give her a few weeks...as hard as it is....it will get better....

GKeeper316
8/26/2010, 10:00 PM
tell her to rush

Ardmore_Sooner
8/26/2010, 10:04 PM
I remember being miserable my first few days, but soon had the single most fun year of my life. It just takes adjusting, shell be good in no time.

yermom
8/26/2010, 10:06 PM
why did it take until page two for someone to ask for pics?

pics? :O

gaylordfan1
8/26/2010, 11:29 PM
Give her a few weeks...as hard as it is....it will get better....

^This. As classes actually get going she will start talking to more people. Meeting friends in bars always happen! Alcohol is a gateway to meeting new people.:D BTW, freshmen have been known to drink while still being under age.

tell her to rush

This is a good option.... If you have a deep pocketbook. You could pay off your house in the 4-5 years she is in school with that monthly payment.

Collier11
8/26/2010, 11:50 PM

When I 1st went to college I was somewhat shy to strangers and was nervous, met a ton of great people within the 1st month and had a great time. Tell her not to be afraid to talk to the people in her hall at the dorms and go to social functions on campus...she will end up lovin it im sure

olevetonahill
8/27/2010, 12:10 AM
Tell her dont sweat it
Hell, every one i met in college Ive spent the next 40 years or so trying to forget .

1890MilesToNorman
8/27/2010, 12:11 AM
But SicEm, you been at Baylor for 14 years so I think you know everyone by now??

GottaHavePride
8/27/2010, 12:13 AM
Tell her not to rush, sorority chicks are dumb. ;) Tell her to hang out with the international students - they're more fun and they LOVE meeting people.

SicEmBaylor
8/27/2010, 01:32 AM
I hated the international students, but that's probably because I hate foreigners and don't want them here.

NormanPride
8/27/2010, 06:13 AM
^THIS!!

right, NP? ;)

Word!

Frozen Sooner
8/27/2010, 06:58 AM
TU, I was from freaking ALASKA and my interpersonal skills are legendary :rolleyes:. I still managed to find some people who wouldn't throw rocks at me when I hung out with them. She'll be fine.

SoonerJack
8/27/2010, 07:56 AM
Sounds like it's time for some frisbee on the quad.

Does OU have a quad?

TheHumanAlphabet
8/27/2010, 10:07 AM
Being in The Pride fixed that for this Georgia guy. Does you daughter have any extracuricular activites? That will help. Also being on the honors dorm floor, it was a huge group of people. Things will work out for her.

Boomer.....
8/27/2010, 10:14 AM
I'll be friends with her!

http://i.bnet.com/blogs/its_a_trap.jpg

fadada1
8/27/2010, 10:15 AM
talking nothing away from oklahoma folks, but i noticed this as well my freshman year at OU. most of the in-staters kept in close contact with folks from home (either friends at OU, or went home a lot on weekends). maybe it's a cultural thing.

i went to OU after growing up in western new york. i knew "not a soul" in the entire state (after having been born in OKC). i can't think of a better way to meet people. fortunately, they stuck a ton of out of staters on the Penthouse (walker 12W) - i think we counted 56 out of 72 were from out of state. made easy at the start to pal around. that being said, however, most of my best friends from OU (20+ years later) are okies.

tell her to hang in there. she'll meet people that will be here lifelong friends.

SteelClip49
8/27/2010, 10:22 AM
Tell her not to join a sorority. My sister rushed and got an experience and she realized how much the sorority girls are downright ******. She is better off just letting it all happen naturally. Why pay for friends?

setem
8/27/2010, 10:24 AM
Thanks, everybody. I am reassured that she's doing the right things; she's on a frisbie team for one thing. She didn't do rush, but she and her roomie might be rethinking. At least I know shes' not sitting in her room moping.

As for the underage drinking... well, the girl WAS born and raised in New Orleans. So all that's lacking so far is the source. Can she knock back a few beers at the tailgate ?? :D

So she is a drunk...how do you think she would feel about a arranged marriage? :pop:

SoonerAtKU
8/27/2010, 10:41 AM
If she's in a dorm and just spending time in her room, tell her to leave the door open. You'd be surprised how often something that simple will give someone permission to pop their head in and introduce themselves, ask a question, or invite you to do something.

Collier11
8/27/2010, 10:54 AM
^ SETEM will find his way into the girls dorms, another dangerous idea

soonerboomer93
8/27/2010, 11:07 AM
talking nothing away from oklahoma folks, but i noticed this as well my freshman year at OU. most of the in-staters kept in close contact with folks from home (either friends at OU, or went home a lot on weekends). maybe it's a cultural thing.

i went to OU after growing up in western new york. i knew "not a soul" in the entire state (after having been born in OKC). i can't think of a better way to meet people. fortunately, they stuck a ton of out of staters on the Penthouse (walker 12W) - i think we counted 56 out of 72 were from out of state. made easy at the start to pal around. that being said, however, most of my best friends from OU (20+ years later) are okies.

tell her to hang in there. she'll meet people that will be here lifelong friends.

I'm came from Colorado, and there was 1 person that I went to high school with that was at OU. We hung out for a little bit, but she rushed and then ended up going leaving at the semester.

Back in my day, we didn't have cell phones, and it was farkin expensive to use the OU long distance service. I looked at joining a frat, but it wasn't for me.

What helped is I had classes with people from my floor (Walker 4W left). Then I also got a job and met people there.

Mississippi Sooner
8/27/2010, 11:12 AM
If she's used to drinking in New Orleans, she'll be disappointed with what they call beer in Oklahoma.

setem
8/27/2010, 11:41 AM
If she's used to drinking in New Orleans, she'll be disappointed with what they call beer in Oklahoma.

This

olevetonahill
8/27/2010, 11:58 AM

This

Idiots :rolleyes:

badger
8/27/2010, 12:03 PM
I think football season will definitely help too. Did she get season tickets? Does she have access to tickets?

Very important - make her stay at college on the weekends. There are so few people around that the ones that stay behind always get together and waste time.

yermom
8/27/2010, 12:13 PM
If she's in a dorm and just spending time in her room, tell her to leave the door open. You'd be surprised how often something that simple will give someone permission to pop their head in and introduce themselves, ask a question, or invite you to do something.

i still have friends i met in Couch my Freshman year

and i made a ton of friends at my campus job as well... of course that's also how i ended up her

Mississippi Sooner
8/27/2010, 12:14 PM
Idiots :rolleyes:

Beer in Oklahoma is fine...if you buy it at the likker store.

olevetonahill
8/27/2010, 12:23 PM
Beer in Oklahoma is fine...if you buy it at the likker store.

I bet you believe its Illegal to drive barefoot to dont ya .:rolleyes:

Mississippi Sooner
8/27/2010, 12:26 PM
I bet you believe its Illegal to drive barefoot to dont ya .:rolleyes:

Nope. :D I growed up in Oklahoma. Also made countless trips across the Red River on beer runs.

olevetonahill
8/27/2010, 12:29 PM
Nope. :D I growed up in Oklahoma. Also made countless trips across the Red River wasting money cause im an idot.

FIFY

Mississippi Sooner
8/27/2010, 12:33 PM
FIFY

OK, so what's the big secret I missed out on in my 30 years there?

olevetonahill
8/27/2010, 12:49 PM
OK, so what's the big secret I missed out on in my 30 years there?

The SECRET is the simple fact that theres NO measurable Dif. In Arkie Beer , Okie Beer , Saxet Beer
It quite simply an old wives tale that will persist no matter what
WE had a thread about this awhile back but I cant find it right now .
I had Made a bet with an Old boy about this and Called AB and asked em .
I won .

Mississippi Sooner
8/27/2010, 12:56 PM
The SECRET is the simple fact that theres NO measurable Dif. In Arkie Beer , Okie Beer , Saxet Beer
I won .

Ahhhh. I didn't know that. Somebody better not let the Okie legislature know this.

I pretty much just stick to Jack Daniels and the shine my inlaws bring back from West Virginia, these days.

olevetonahill
8/27/2010, 12:59 PM
Ahhhh. I didn't know that. Somebody better not let the Okie legislature know this.

I pretty much just stick to Jack Daniels and the shine my inlaws bring back from West Virginia, these days.

The Liquor stores Dont mind it cause they Dont have to keep it cold and can charge more

I talked to an Ole boy who used to own a LS and a Cstore Combo.
The beer trucks pulled up set beer in his coolers and took the rest next door to his LS to sit and gather dust ;)

sooner_born_1960
8/27/2010, 01:08 PM
Regardless the beer situation in Oklahoma, TU, I'm sure she'll make friends and have a great college experience. So, cheer up, it all part of the process.

olevetonahill
8/27/2010, 01:12 PM
Regardless the beer situation in Oklahoma, TU, I'm sure she'll make friends and have a great college experience. So, cheer up, it all part of the process.

Way to Ghey up a Perfectly good Hijack :P

sooner_born_1960
8/27/2010, 01:14 PM
:)

TUSooner
8/27/2010, 01:14 PM
I won .

As I understand this very important issue, there's a difference between 3.2 beer and some others beers, but it's not really very much. Despite the popular reference to non-3.2 liquor-store beer as "six point beer," there are not very many beers that have more than 5% or 5.5% alcohol* (and they usually don't taste all that good, either).

DISCLAIMER: This post does not take into account the difference between "alcohol by weight" and "alcohol by volume" because I don't understand it. :D

*EDIT: There are more 5% ABV beers than I though, Just sayin'

sooner_born_1960
8/27/2010, 01:16 PM
Well, crap. I tried to get this thread back on track, then TU comes along and re-hijacks his own thread.

sooner_born_1960
8/27/2010, 01:17 PM
3.2, 5.0, weight, volume, whatever. Just keep drinking whichever you have until you can't stand up.

Crucifax Autumn
8/27/2010, 01:23 PM
That's how I do it.

TUSooner
8/27/2010, 01:23 PM
Here: Realbeer.com sez: A beer that is 4.0% alcohol by volume (ABV) is about 3.2% alcohol by weight (ABW). So, if most of the beer available is around 4% ABV, and if Okie beer is 3.2 ABW, Okie beer ain't no diff.

However, according to the chart at

http://www.realbeer.com/edu/health/calories.php

more beers that I thought are above 4% ABV

TUSooner
8/27/2010, 01:26 PM
Well, crap. I tried to get this thread back on track, then TU comes along and re-hijacks his own thread.

No, this is still on track. We're asking, Will New Orleans girls like Okie beer? OK. OK. That is the dumbest question evar. Of course they will. :rolleyes:

Mississippi Sooner
8/27/2010, 01:29 PM
Yeah, they sell some stuff in stores down here called Steel Reserve that's supposed to be a lot stronger than the mainstream beers, and it only costs about a buck for a 24 oz. can, but the taste is horrible.

TUSooner
8/27/2010, 01:31 PM
Yeah, they sell some stuff in stores down here called Steel Reserve that's supposed to be a lot stronger than the mainstream beers, and it only costs about a buck for a 24 oz. can, but the taste is horrible.

Taste any "Ice" beer to see how bad stronger beer can taste.
OTOH, Abita Amber has >5% ABV and tastes pretty dang good.

BillyBall
8/27/2010, 01:39 PM
It can definitely take time sometimes, I also think it's harder for females than males.

Guys in college generally don't give a **** and will befriend anyone with booze or a joint. Females are way too competitive and sometimes cruel, probably because of a ton of insecurities.

TUSooner
8/27/2010, 01:49 PM
It can definitely take time sometimes, I also think it's harder for females than males.

Guys in college generally don't give a **** and will befriend anyone with booze or a joint. Females are way too competitive and sometimes cruel, probably because of a ton of insecurities.

You haven't had much luck with women, have you? :D :D

OUMallen
8/27/2010, 01:51 PM
Firm believer in rush. I will highly encourage my future kids to do so.

C&CDean
8/27/2010, 01:53 PM

Bingo. Read the "need advice for financial problems with me and momma" thread.

BillyBall
8/27/2010, 01:55 PM

Touche...

olevetonahill
8/27/2010, 02:36 PM
As I understand this very important issue, there's a difference between 3.2 beer and some others beers, but it's not really very much. Despite the popular reference to non-3.2 liquor-store beer as "six point beer," there are not very many beers that have more than 5% or 5.5% alcohol* (and they usually don't taste all that good, either).

DISCLAIMER: This post does not take into account the difference between "alcohol by weight" and "alcohol by volume" because I don't understand it. :D

*EDIT: There are more 5% ABV beers than I though, Just sayin'

An Ole Monnshiner ( Me ) knows this **** :D

Why I said Very little measurable Dif.

olevetonahill
8/27/2010, 02:37 PM

Hey we got the Kid settled in , Now we talkin Important **** :cool:

Howzit
8/27/2010, 02:43 PM

Dude! Jr just transferred there and is in a little bit of the same boat.

olevetonahill
8/27/2010, 02:48 PM
Dude! Jr just transferred there and is in a little bit of the same boat.

Get em to meet up Bros

C&CDean
8/27/2010, 02:51 PM
Have them call me and I'll take them to Abner's. I'm old, but I ain't daddy old.

Howzit
8/27/2010, 02:59 PM
Get em to meet up Bros

:les: WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THAT?!?!!?

;)

Pm already sent.

olevetonahill
8/27/2010, 03:01 PM
Have them call me and I'll take them to Abner's. I'm old, but I ain't daddy old.

Ima thinkin Ya need to send me along with em , to be a chaperon;)

:les: WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THAT?!?!!?

;)

Pm already sent.

Great Minds and all that kinda ****:P

Howzit
8/27/2010, 03:05 PM
I'm thinkin' TU and I got this under control.

yermom
8/27/2010, 03:10 PM

this is almost true if i typed it, grandpa :D

Jello Biafra
8/27/2010, 03:24 PM
at all costs, tell her to stay away from a dude driving a miata with a mini golf trophy strapped in next to him.

olevetonahill
8/27/2010, 03:29 PM
I'm thinkin' TU and I got this under control.

Well just be that way:(

C&CDean
8/27/2010, 03:35 PM
this is almost true if i typed it, grandpa :D

Sheeeeit. The bitches still be diggin' the old man...

In two weeks time, neither of the girls will be all bummed out. They'll be all assimilated and grooving on the Sooner vibe, yo.

TUSooner
8/27/2010, 05:00 PM
Sheeeeit. The bitches still be diggin' the old man...

In two weeks time, neither of the girls will be all bummed out. They'll be all assimilated and grooving on the Sooner vibe, yo.

I'm actually considering this. :eek:

TUSooner
8/27/2010, 05:09 PM
I PEEMed you Howzit!

Fraggle145
8/27/2010, 05:58 PM
My kid joined a sorority. Made all the diff. She didn't do fall rush, but because all her HS buds at her school did, she was sorta left out in the cold. She did Spring rush her freshman year and it made all the diff for her.

But as you also must realize, most kids are homesick the first several weeks. Hat's off to her for choosing a school far enough away that her mama and daddy won't be there to "helicopter parent." ;)

Your mileage may vary.

Rush helps because you get a group of people who are all in the same boat as you doing the exact same things.

I've moved multiple times now as a grad-student and when I came to OU the first time rush made it a lot easier. I came from Owasso though and most everyone there goes to OSU (at least when I graduated) so i was scared ****less and not very happy my first week. Study groups also can help a ton... And most of the people in her classes if you stay the same major she will start running into over and over again.

If that isnt for her it can be rough, when I left OU to go to UGA for my M.S. i was miserable for about 6 months, but it teaches you really valuable lessons about socializing etc...

More than anything you just have to get her to leave her dorm room.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/27/2010, 08:45 PM
Well, TU, at least with the new banking rules, she won't be able to get a credit card and charge it up with depression shopping... ;)

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
8/27/2010, 08:57 PM

It was kind of embarrassing.Is this actual humor...from you?

8/27/2010, 08:59 PM
I found that a willingness to drink underage helped me to make friends.Courage like that is rare!:eddie:

8/27/2010, 09:08 PM
If she's in a dorm and just spending time in her room, tell her to leave the door open. You'd be surprised how often something that simple will give someone permission to pop their head in and introduce themselves, ask a question, or invite you to do something.Also, leave several trails of Tootsie Rolls or mini Snickers bars that lead to your open dorm room. (Insert Dean icon here)

SicEmBaylor
8/27/2010, 09:33 PM
Is this actual humor...from you?

Not really. It happened.

SicEmBaylor
8/27/2010, 09:34 PM
You know what always annoyed the **** out of me about dorm living?

The bozo dip****s who would sit on their bed with the door opening playing guitar and all the other dip****s who would sit on the floor and listen to him as if he was some sort of musical prodigy. Here's an FYI, you people can't play the guitar worth a f'in ****, and it's really freaking annoying to listen to.

Mjcpr
8/27/2010, 09:36 PM

The bozo dip****s who would sit on their bed with the door opening playing guitar and all the other dip****s who would sit on the floor and listen to him as if he was some sort of musical prodigy. Here's an FYI, you people can't play the guitar worth a f'in ****, and it's really freaking annoying to listen to.

Geezus, you were in college in the 60's too?!

SicEmBaylor
8/27/2010, 09:45 PM
Geezus, you were in college in the 60's too?!

No, just modern hipster types.

Turd_Ferguson
8/27/2010, 09:49 PM

The bozo dip****s who would sit on their bed with the door opening playing guitar and all the other dip****s who would sit on the floor and listen to him as if he was some sort of musical prodigy. Here's an FYI, you people can't play the guitar worth a f'in ****, and it's really freaking annoying to listen to.Note to self. Play'n the geetar will bring in the wolf jaw.:pop:

bluedogok
8/27/2010, 10:00 PM

Had to be done.....
a9JYq-mXprw

setem
8/28/2010, 02:48 PM
So does she want to be friends or not?

TUSooner
8/28/2010, 05:00 PM
So does she want to be friends or not?

Thankfully, she's not desperate yet. :D

TUSooner
8/28/2010, 05:33 PM
Well Howzit, since you're not talking to me, and giving be bogus phone numbers... :D Just meet me at the tailgate this weekend -- w/ Jr. I"ll have mine.

Jacie
8/28/2010, 10:28 PM

My OU dorm experience, let's see, there was the Jesus freak who would pester me to attend his 2nd floor bible study at one end of the hall, and the dope smoker (he thought the wet towel-under-the-door thing confined the smell to his room) who would sing aloud to his Joan Baez album at the other end. With that to contend with, the wonder is that I was ever in my room at all.

SicEmBaylor
8/28/2010, 10:58 PM
My OU dorm experience, let's see, there was the Jesus freak who would pester me to attend his 2nd floor bible study at one end of the hall, and the dope smoker (he thought the wet towel-under-the-door thing confined the smell to his room) who would sing aloud to his Joan Baez album at the other end. With that to contend with, the wonder is that I was ever in my room at all.

Imagine a university full of Jesus freaks...

Anyway, I'm glad I experienced dorm life for a year but I'd never ever do it again. I'd never shared a room with anyone in my entire life before Baylor, and I found out a couple of weeks before school started that my roommate was a Chinese guy from Houston (well Taiwanese). The idea of having a ****ty roommate scared the crap out of me, but as it turned out I was the ****ty roommate.

There were some good times though...There were a couple of black guys who lived across from me. At that time, Baylor had a very very strict visitation policy in the dorms for the opposite-sex. The hours were Friday-Saturday from 1:00pm-5pm and that was it. So, this was like on a Wednesday night and I get a knock on my door and it's the black guy across from me yelling, "SICEM! BRING SOME TOWELS QUICK!" I open the door and about that time I see these two half-dressed chicks running to the end of the hall where the back stairs were at that led directly outside (I lived on the 4th floor of Martin). I look into his dorm room and water is literally flooding out and he's throwing all of his stuff into the hallway and my room to keep it dry. Evidently, one of these chicks decided to sit on the sink and the entire thing broke off with water gushing out of the pipe. It took maintenance half an hour to get up there to shut it off.

There were a few football players at the end of the hallway that were the loudest, and then there were the guys who never ever seemed to sleep.

I always hated the community showers. They were divided into "stalls" but the walls were pretty short...well there was one guy on our floor who would carry on long conversations with you when taking a shower -- it was kind of creepy.

This one time I came back from class in the afternoon and there was a long line out the bathroom. There were plenty of restrooms and this was the first time I ever saw a line of any sort. My RA is standing there managing the line letting two people go in at a time, so I ask him what the deal is. He tells me I have to go in to see because words wouldn't do it justice. So, I go inside and I'm directed into a stall with the worst smelling and largest turd I have ever seen in my life. This thing was half my size. The dimensions of the thing and the idea of having to pass it were mind-boggling. And yet there it was...it was a hell of a sight to see.

Of course saying that Baylor had a strict anti-alcohol policy is an understatement. If you're caught buzzed, drunk, or in possession then at best they would force you into a Christian alcoholic treatment program or face expulsion. Well, one night my roommate and I decided to have a few beers (okay it was actually Bacardi Silver) and we made the mistake of keeping the door ajar. My RA decides to just walk in and there we are throwing a few back....he could have got us into big trouble but he was cool about it. He said, "Well, I can't do anything about it if the bottles are empty." The implication being that we should pour it out in the sink...being half-drunk though I took this to mean that I should finish the bottle off which I did. :D

And then there was the guy a few doors down from me that I never really knew, but toward the end of the semester he came by one night and asked if I wanted to catch a movie. I was bored so I said sure and he told me to meet him at his room at whatever time it was. So, I'd never seen his dorm room before but the walls were covered with Disney posters.......in a dude's room. That should have been my first clue, but I was somewhat oblivious. So to make a long story short, as it turned out the guy was gay and we were on a date which I realized only after we'd arrived at the theater and met up with this other couple who kept asking me how we met and ****. The whole thing was pretty f'in awkward. I'd have bailed but he drove...Bad times. Really really bad times.

Our building had its own cigar club and smoking lounge in what used to be the old laundry building before they built the new one. That was pretty cool...

Good times. I kind of miss the old place now. Here's to you Martin Hall 4th floor!

http://www.baylor.edu/content/imglib/79123.jpg

BajaOklahoma
8/29/2010, 08:23 AM
Students have to line up for student section seats about 2 hours before the game. That will cut into the tailgate.

texaspokieokie
8/29/2010, 09:20 AM
my nephew lived in a dorm when he first started going to Cal-Riverside.

went to visit him once & thot i'd dropped in on heaven. men & women living is dorm together. never did figure out how that would work. who would ever study ???

SbOrOiNaEnR
8/29/2010, 09:32 AM
And then there was the guy a few doors down from me that I never really knew, but toward the end of the semester he came by one night and asked if I wanted to catch a movie. I was bored so I said sure and he told me to meet him at his room at whatever time it was. So, I'd never seen his dorm room before but the walls were covered with Disney posters.......in a dude's room. That should have been my first clue, but I was somewhat oblivious. So to make a long story short, as it turned out the guy was gay and we were on a date which I realized only after we'd arrived at the theater and met up with this other couple who kept asking me how we met and ****. The whole thing was pretty f'in awkward. I'd have bailed but he drove...Bad times. Really really bad times.

So you mean we could possibly have a SicEm "So I met a guy..." thread, too??? :D

One of my favorite SF threads (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121499&highlight=met+girl) of all time. Totally worth it if you have an hour to kill.

dolemitesooner
8/29/2010, 12:20 PM
whats her number? I will show her around

all joke aside....really

badger
8/29/2010, 07:30 PM
I always hated the community showers. They were divided into "stalls" but the walls were pretty short...well there was one guy on our floor who would carry on long conversations with you when taking a shower -- it was kind of creepy.

Community showers, heh. I only did the dorm thing at Cate and Cross, so I never had semi-private bathrooms, just those fun community showers, where you beg someone for toilet paper because their stall is out, you joke about how freezing the water is, and leave each other messages in lip stick on the mirror (which the nice cleaning ladies would actually not wipe off every day).

Community showers are a learned trait. At the gym I'm like la la la gonna take a shower now la la la, whereas the other women are afraid to get into a closed stall to even change shoes. omg, what if the other ladies see my feet?!?! :rolleyes:

setem
8/29/2010, 07:33 PM
Students have to line up for student section seats about 2 hours before the game. That will cut into the tailgate.

I sit in the student section and I never have to wait for seats...

C&CDean
8/29/2010, 08:34 PM
whats her number? I will show her around

all joke aside....really

Yeah, let's let the resident tard show the girls around....NOT. Keep your kids close. Doleo is on the prowl...

GottaHavePride
8/29/2010, 08:36 PM
Man, if doleo's still with the last girl I saw him with, he's got more game than 3/4 of the guys on here.

C&CDean
8/29/2010, 08:40 PM
Oh no. That girls cut his nuts, circumcised him, then spit his foreskin into the gutter to be tramped upon. Given, it was a little thing...

TUSooner
8/29/2010, 09:32 PM
I was gonna tell everybody "never mind" but then I saw SicEm's autobiographical narrative and decided it was a good thing I didn't. :D

SicEmBaylor
8/30/2010, 12:49 AM
I was gonna tell everybody "never mind" but then I saw SicEm's autobiographical narrative and decided it was a good thing I didn't. :D

I'm shopping my book around.

yankee
8/30/2010, 01:13 AM
Imagine a university full of Jesus freaks...

Anyway, I'm glad I experienced dorm life for a year but I'd never ever do it again. I'd never shared a room with anyone in my entire life before Baylor, and I found out a couple of weeks before school started that my roommate was a Chinese guy from Houston (well Taiwanese). The idea of having a ****ty roommate scared the crap out of me, but as it turned out I was the ****ty roommate.

There were some good times though...There were a couple of black guys who lived across from me. At that time, Baylor had a very very strict visitation policy in the dorms for the opposite-sex. The hours were Friday-Saturday from 1:00pm-5pm and that was it. So, this was like on a Wednesday night and I get a knock on my door and it's the black guy across from me yelling, "SICEM! BRING SOME TOWELS QUICK!" I open the door and about that time I see these two half-dressed chicks running to the end of the hall where the back stairs were at that led directly outside (I lived on the 4th floor of Martin). I look into his dorm room and water is literally flooding out and he's throwing all of his stuff into the hallway and my room to keep it dry. Evidently, one of these chicks decided to sit on the sink and the entire thing broke off with water gushing out of the pipe. It took maintenance half an hour to get up there to shut it off.

There were a few football players at the end of the hallway that were the loudest, and then there were the guys who never ever seemed to sleep.

This one time I came back from class in the afternoon and there was a long line out the bathroom. There were plenty of restrooms and this was the first time I ever saw a line of any sort. My RA is standing there managing the line letting two people go in at a time, so I ask him what the deal is. He tells me I have to go in to see because words wouldn't do it justice. So, I go inside and I'm directed into a stall with the worst smelling and largest turd I have ever seen in my life. This thing was half my size. The dimensions of the thing and the idea of having to pass it were mind-boggling. And yet there it was...it was a hell of a sight to see.

Of course saying that Baylor had a strict anti-alcohol policy is an understatement. If you're caught buzzed, drunk, or in possession then at best they would force you into a Christian alcoholic treatment program or face expulsion. Well, one night my roommate and I decided to have a few beers (okay it was actually Bacardi Silver) and we made the mistake of keeping the door ajar. My RA decides to just walk in and there we are throwing a few back....he could have got us into big trouble but he was cool about it. He said, "Well, I can't do anything about it if the bottles are empty." The implication being that we should pour it out in the sink...being half-drunk though I took this to mean that I should finish the bottle off which I did. :D

Our building had its own cigar club and smoking lounge in what used to be the old laundry building before they built the new one. That was pretty cool...

Good times. I kind of miss the old place now. Here's to you Martin Hall 4th floor!

http://www.baylor.edu/content/imglib/79123.jpg

lol good stuff. i could go on all day about the stories from walker nine 2 years ago...

setem
9/6/2010, 04:31 PM
So TU was your daughter the blond with the red and white striped shirt?

silverwheels
9/6/2010, 05:08 PM

And the Groucho Marx glasses.

setem
9/6/2010, 05:12 PM
YEP SHE LOOKED LIKE WALDO! She was real pretty though...not like Waldo!

tommieharris91
9/7/2010, 12:21 AM
TU, your daughter might have another stalker...

setem
9/7/2010, 02:11 AM
Ha not stalking at all. Just saying he did well!

Collier11
9/7/2010, 12:30 PM
if Setem is caught in her closet jackin it, you can only blame yourself

TUSooner
9/7/2010, 06:47 PM

That's close enough. :cool:
Y'know, I'm not really much of a badass, as a rule. And I generally don't carry weapons & such. But I do keep my pocket knife sharp enough to shave with, or to commit whatever mayhem is required on short notice. And I can drive from New Orleans to Norman in just over 10 hours....just under 10 if I'm piszed off. Plus I have some really fine kin-folk in what I like to lovingly call the Red Neck Mafia who are all within spittin' distance of Norman. They can arrive wherever needed and they'll be booted, spurred, armed, and ready when they get there. And either one of my daughters is worth my whole life, and certainly several years of it. Just sayin.

setem
9/7/2010, 07:25 PM
No worries man! I am just messing with ya!

soonerboomer93
9/7/2010, 07:29 PM
That's close enough. :cool:
Y'know, I'm not really much of a badass, as a rule. And I generally don't carry weapons & such. But I do keep my pocket knife sharp enough to shave with, or to commit whatever mayhem is required on short notice. And I can drive from New Orleans to Norman in just over 10 hours....just under 10 if I'm piszed off. Plus I have some really fine kin-folk in what I like to lovingly call the Red Neck Mafia who are all within spittin' distance of Norman. They can arrive wherever needed and they'll be booted, spurred, armed, and ready when they get there. And either one of my daughters is worth my whole life, and certainly several years of it. Just sayin.

Is that including that real jerk, and his entire armory? :D

ccmike9
9/13/2010, 09:07 AM
I showed up last year from far away, and only knew one person who went here before I arrived. I had a very similar first week/ couple of weeks. But....as everyone says, it passes. I now have a really big group of friends and some really close friends I can't imagine not having. I would also advise against rushing, but that's more of a personal matter.
College should be about finding yourself, and from my experience / the experience of people I know, It hinders your individuality.

badger
9/13/2010, 10:34 AM
Any update? Has Sooner football made your daughter love OU too now? :)

proud gonzo
9/13/2010, 11:52 AM
good lord, people, she doesn't need to join a sorority just to make friends.

Those other freshman haven't been at OU any longer than she has. There are so many students on campus, they are not going to reach out and make sure you have friends. You have to talk to people and not just sit around expecting they're going to seek you out.

She should sit down next to some cool-looking people in class and start chatting. If she doesn't hit it off with them, don't sit by them again. That's the advantage of huge classes. Sit by some other people the next time until you find some with common interests.

Boomer.....
9/13/2010, 11:54 AM
She should join a sorority.

Howzit
9/13/2010, 12:36 PM
Or the arachnid club.

TUSooner
9/13/2010, 01:06 PM
Any update? Has Sooner football made your daughter love OU too now?

good lord, people, she doesn't need to join a sorority just to make friends.

Those other freshman haven't been at OU any longer than she has. There are so many students on campus, they are not going to reach out and make sure you have friends. You have to talk to people and not just sit around expecting they're going to seek you out.

She should sit down next to some cool-looking people in class and start chatting. If she doesn't hit it off with them, don't sit by them again. That's the advantage of huge classes. Sit by some other people the next time until you find some with common interests.

I was kinda hoping this thread would go away for good -- since I never should have whined in the first place. :rolleyes: :D But thanks for caring, SRSLY.

Things are significantly better, as I knew they would be, after just a bit of time. And there has been no sororitizing , rather more of an affirmation of "I don't need that." It's definitely been the proud gonzo approach, which is quite good IMHO. As I've said once or twice or 57 times, sororities are great if you need your social life fed to you with a spoon, but it's always better to be your natural self and make friends with the people who like you for that rather than wearing out your fake-smiley muscles on people who you wouldn't ordinarily seek out as friends anyway.

DISCLAIMER: This is not an indictment of Greeks or sorority chicks --unless they are stereotypically shallow and conformist or wear cowboy boots with shorts or dresses. ;) I was in a fraternity myself, and still am, I guess. I appreciate the good of it, but also recognize a thing or 2 that I could have done well without, in retrospect. I know it's not the only way or even the best way to make friends.

TheHumanAlphabet
9/13/2010, 02:34 PM
TU, I hope you weren't a Pike... I still remember the speech to this day (30 years hence) at the end of rush...
"you can pledge another fraternity, and that is great, but remember, we will beat you in intramurals, we will crush in academics and we will date your women..."

rawlingsHOH
9/13/2010, 03:40 PM

It's like that in every big state school across the country. People hang out with their friends, it's who they know.

proud gonzo
9/14/2010, 12:43 AM
Well, I missed the thread the first time around. I'm not on here much.

Frozen Sooner
9/14/2010, 07:35 AM
TU, I hope you weren't a Pike... I still remember the speech to this day (30 years hence) at the end of rush...
"you can pledge another fraternity, and that is great, but remember, we will beat you in intramurals, we will crush in academics and we will date your women..."

Pikes said that? Amusing. That'd be like a Baylor recruiter telling a five star athlete they'll win championships with or without them.

C&CDean
9/14/2010, 07:58 AM
Ooooh, fratboy smack. Ain't any of them that could get laid on their own.