PDA

View Full Version : Things that surprise you....

royalfan5
8/26/2010, 02:02 PM
I'm surpised that they are still cranking out new smallvilles.

soonerboomer93
8/26/2010, 02:22 PM
this will be the last season

soonerscuba
8/26/2010, 02:24 PM
Bill Shatner is almost a billionaire.

sooner59
8/26/2010, 02:31 PM
Mike Gundy still has a job...

Crucifax Autumn
8/26/2010, 02:31 PM
I'm still alive.

Hot Rod
8/26/2010, 02:34 PM
Texas A&M could turn into a BCS surprise

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/colleges/post/_/id/4669491/texas-am-could-turn-into-a-bcs-surprise

sooner59
8/26/2010, 02:35 PM
Jimmy Johnson's hair hasn't moved in 23 years.

yankee
8/26/2010, 02:37 PM
nipples.

Chuck Bao
8/26/2010, 02:40 PM
Frankly speaking, I am surprised and more than a bit angered by no permanent solution to computer viruses. It seems that the life of my PC has halved each time over the last 10 years before a computer virus completely destroys my PC. I'm now on my fourth PC in a decade and each time I am required to purchase licensed microsoft operating system and programs.

It just seems so much of new technology is going into new handheld devices and products to sell to consumers. I am not migrating there and I just want a PC that works beyond a couple of years.

Okay </rant>

stoops the eternal pimp
8/26/2010, 02:44 PM
That Chuck spoke so frankly

yankee
8/26/2010, 04:20 PM
Frankly speaking, I am surprised and more than a bit angered by no permanent solution to computer viruses. It seems that the life of my PC has halved each time over the last 10 years before a computer virus completely destroys my PC. I'm now on my fourth PC in a decade and each time I am required to purchase licensed microsoft operating system and programs.

It just seems so much of new technology is going into new handheld devices and products to sell to consumers. I am not migrating there and I just want a PC that works beyond a couple of years.

Okay </rant>

kaspersky will solve all your problems.

47straight
8/26/2010, 04:34 PM

Okay </rant>

You shouldn't have to get a new computer because of a virus. The nuclear option should be to wipe everything and reinstall everything.

Scott D
8/26/2010, 05:20 PM
quiet 47....Chuck's computer ignorance keeps some people employed gainfully. :D

kbsooner21
8/26/2010, 05:27 PM
People still eat at Burger King

badger
8/26/2010, 05:28 PM
Surprised about how conference reallignment turned out thus far. I thought for sure we'd be Pac 16 (or so) and MWC would have emerged as a BCS conference. Instead, Utah's dumping MWC, Colorado and Nebbish are dumping us, Mizzou ain't goin' nowhere, we still haven't dumped Baylor, BYU wants to be Notre Dame... etc etc

goingoneight
8/26/2010, 11:20 PM
USC got hammered

Some people are still retarded enough to wear orange

My bar tab last weekend

The neighbor's daughter (22) is hawt. Saw her for the first time earlier. :D

gaylordfan1
8/26/2010, 11:24 PM
That soap can get dirty. :confused:

SCOUT
8/27/2010, 12:36 AM
Verps

Chuck Bao
8/27/2010, 01:17 AM
You shouldn't have to get a new computer because of a virus. The nuclear option should be to wipe everything and reinstall everything.

Reinstalling the operating system is really not so easy in Thailand, or it isn't for me. I believe that it is licensed Microsoft operating system when I bought the computer new. Once the computer completely shuts down, I am not sure if there was real damage to the hard drive.

I have gone to the large Pantip Plaza, which is Mecca in Thailand for pirated software, carrying around my PC and begging the shops to please help me. They make their money selling things and the service side is already swamped. They won't even consider my offer of naming their price.

Okay, now someone tell me that there is an option on the Microsoft operating system to reinstall it and I will feel like a complete fool.

Besides that, I really don't want my PCs wiped clean. There are files, especially pics, that I want to keep. I am finally learning how to make backups. But, I still hold out the hope that I can eventually retrieve some of the files from the three old PCs that are just sitting there on the floor and mocking me.

Alright. Go ahead and call me an idiot. I would be surprised if you didn't.

47straight
8/27/2010, 01:23 AM
quiet 47....Chuck's computer ignorance keeps some people employed gainfully. :D

Sorry... forgot.

47straight
8/27/2010, 01:29 AM
Reinstalling the operating system is really not so easy in Thailand, or it isn't for me. I believe that it is licensed Microsoft operating system when I bought the computer new. Once the computer completely shuts down, I am not sure if there was real damage to the hard drive.

I have gone to the large Pantip Plaza, which is Mecca in Thailand for pirated software, carrying around my PC and begging the shops to please help me. They make their money selling things and the service side is already swamped. They won't even consider my offer of naming their price.

Okay, now someone tell me that there is an option on the Microsoft operating system to reinstall it and I will feel like a complete fool.

Besides that, I really don't want my PCs wiped clean. There are files, especially pics, that I want to keep. I am finally learning how to make backups. But, I still hold out the hope that I can eventually retrieve some of the files from the three old PCs that are just sitting there on the floor and mocking me.

Alright. Go ahead and call me an idiot. I would be surprised if you didn't.

But you have id'd the very reason why you *wouldn't* want to wipe a PC clean. And even me, with an engineering degree, have made the mistake of reinstalling an operating system before making sure that all documents, pictures, and emails were secure, and I had to work like a devil to recover all of them.

It really wouldn't be terribly difficult to salvage the contents of those hard drives. I wouldn't take it to a geek squad, but if you have a geeky friend you could bribe him with pizza or food and beer. You would just take the hard drives from those machines and add them to an existing desktop, and copy off the contents, scanning them for viruses. You could even use a hard disk enclosure to make the hard drives essentially portable hard drives, and copy their contents through USB. This might be greek to you, but it's really straightforward stuff.

Just don't fall for some company's offer to recover it at the price of thousands of dollars. There are services available if you really did erase everything, or if the hard drive itself has failures. But that sounds different than what you went through, and wouldn't be necessary.