PDA

View Full Version : Pretty Good Read...

madillsoonerfan5353
8/26/2010, 10:20 AM
Sounds good to me! :D What do yall think?

OU football: Pull a Leach and go for it
Posted by berrytramelon August 24, 2010M at 10:26 pm Bob Stoops admitted again on Tuesday that he has little confidence in his place-kickers. Jimmy Stevens, Patrick O’Hara, Michael Hunnicut. No one is winning the field-goal job.

The Sooners were not very good on field goals last season. Stevens was 11-for-11 on field goals inside 40 yards but was 0-for-2 on longer kicks. O’Hara was 0-for-2 from the 30s but 1-for-2 from longer. Punter Tress Way was given the opportunity, too, and was not effective. All told, the Sooners as a team were 13-of-13 from inside 30 yards, 4-of-7 on field goals in the 30s, 1-of-6 on field goals in the 40s and 0-for-2 on field goals in the 50s.

How important were those misses? Way missed a 54-yarder at the end of the BYU game, a 14-13 loss, which can’t be laid at his feet. A 54-yarder is too long for anyone to count on.

But in a 16-13 loss to Texas, Stevens missed a 45-yarder. In a 10-3 loss at Nebraska, the Sooners missed three kicks from the 40s (46, 45 and 42 yards).

Look at it this way. Make those kicks, and OU might have been in the Big 12 title game. Crazy, huh?

Anyway, how’s this for a plan. If none of these guys can make a field goal past 40 yards, why not go all Mike Leach and just go for it on fourth down. If it’s 4th-and-5 from the 27-yard line, why futilely try a 44-yard field goal? Put the ball in Landry Jones’ or DeMarco Murray’s hands, not on Stevens’ or O’Hara’s foot.

If it’s 4th-and-2 from the 32, go for it. Fourth-and-9 from the 24, go for it. Fourth-and-4 from the 30, go for it.

Going for fourth downs does several things. It invigorates your own team. It sends a message to your offense that you believe in them. Stoops doesn’t have to tell his troops it’s because he has no faith in his kickers.

Fourth-down tries also puts defenses on their heels. Especially if you do it repeatedly. It produces a mindset that the defense is going to have to stop an offense in four plays, not three.

Much of this depends on Jones, of course. If he’s not playing well — like at Nebraska last season — then this strategy backfires. But if he becomes the solid quarterback everyone seems to think he will, particularly his own team that voted him captain, then fourth down should not be a field-g0al down for the Sooners. It should be a down of aggressive offensive play.

gaylordfan1
8/26/2010, 10:37 AM
Don't know how to take this article. Sarcasm? I mean, if you have absolutely no chance to make a FG I guess this is your only option. I can't see any positives on having to go for it on 4th down bc you kicker can't come through for the team.

w0lfe
8/26/2010, 11:52 AM
I like the article. Maybe it will signal a big time kicker to come here

SoonerStormchaser
8/26/2010, 11:56 AM
Can we get Trey DiCarlo to come back? He still has one year left, right?

MojoRisen
8/26/2010, 11:59 AM
We need one, not to be overly critical - but Stevens had to see a shrink in his freshman year for sports phsyc. Kickers are already heady enough- he has to see a shrink about it- good riddens. He is on Scholly no less.

OK I feel bad but had to put that out there.

tfoolry
8/26/2010, 12:15 PM
Uwe von Schamann have any grandkids?

soonerborn30
8/26/2010, 01:10 PM
So basically he's suggested the real OU play the way my XBOX OU plays?

oudavid1
8/26/2010, 01:30 PM
I love Leach. the end.

SunnySooner
8/26/2010, 01:42 PM
Uwe von Schamann have any grandkids?

lol, I was wondering if any of Tim or RD Lashar's kids are old enough yet. Too bad Mrs. Lashar didn't have one of those late 40's "change of life" babies, he'd be playing for us right now.

I read an article a while back about a high school coach who had pretty much done away with all of the kicking. He never punted or tried for FG, just went for it every time. Statistically, his team was no worse off for it, because more often than not, they were able to convert. I can't remember all the exact figures, but it was enough to make me think maybe he was on to something.

We have a great punter, but we might be wise to just go for it in FG situations. Broyles can't catch it in the endzone if Lil Jimmy's out there whiffing them wide right.:(

stoopified
8/26/2010, 05:15 PM
I personally was screaming for us to GO FOR IT on every 4th down inside the 35 yardline.I don't see how giving someone the ball at the 35 or further in is any worse than missing a FG and giving up that same feild position.

badger
8/26/2010, 05:36 PM
didn't they have walk-on tryouts today? maybe some kid has a leg!

OUHOMER
8/26/2010, 06:20 PM
Does OU even scout and offer scollies to kickers? or just rely on walk ons?

Tigeman
8/26/2010, 06:21 PM
Believe it or not, your idea actually has statistical merit! There's been quite a few studies as of late that say the same thing. Essentially your giving up 25% of your downs by not going for it on 4th. In addition, if you consider punt returns and how often punts/kicks lead to better field position than the 20, then it becomes not so crazy.

NY times 4th down article (http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/09/17/a-new-study-on-fourth-downs-go-for-it/)

Science Blogs... 4th down break down GOOD READ!!!! (http://scienceblogs.com/cortex/2009/10/football_1.php)

The high school team that doesn't punt (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/jon_wertheim/09/17/no.punt/index.html)

I realize this is all voodoo, and it would really never work consistently in college. BUT there is merit and lessons to be learned here

BoulderSooner79
8/26/2010, 06:41 PM
I personally was screaming for us to GO FOR IT on every 4th down inside the 35 yardline.I don't see how giving someone the ball at the 35 or further in is any worse than missing a FG and giving up that same feild position.

It's worse than that since the ball goes back to kicking spot and not the line of scrimmage. So a missed FG is more like getting sacked on 4th down. The other alternative is to try to pin them deep by punting if you have a punter who can do that consistently. But you really need it to be inside the 10 or even the 5 to put them in dangerous field position that limits their offense. And it seems that football has eyes on a pooch punt and often manages to get in the endzone for a touchback.

MiccoMacey
8/26/2010, 06:48 PM
I've seen a thread where a coach has shown it's mathematically in your favor to go for it on fourth down in most instances (probably not 4th and 25). Increases your odds of keeping the ball. I'd like to see more coaches do that. I'd bet they'd have more success.