PDA

View Full Version : Could the Browns cut Colt McCoy?

adoniijahsooner
8/25/2010, 08:11 PM
Didnt see this coming

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Could-the-Browns-cut-Colt-McCoy-?urn=nfl-265084

The winningest quarterback in college football history may be cut before he has a chance to take a single meaningful snap in the NFL.

Cleveland Browns rookie quarterback Colt McCoy(notes) is "on the bubble" to make the team's final 53-man roster, according to the Cleveland Plain Dealer. Coaches are reportedly more impressed with veteran newcomers Jake Delhomme(notes) and Seneca Wallace(notes), possibly leaving the third-round pick as a camp casualty.

If McCoy is cut, it would cap a stunning fall for one of the most decorated college quarterbacks in history. During his time at Texas, McCoy led the Longhorns to an NCAA-record 45 wins and set a single-season mark for completion percentage (76.7 in 2008). Before last season, many draft insiders had the QB as a top-10 pick and he was expected to contribute at the professional level.

[Related: 10 under-the-radar NFL rookies to watch]

The transition from college greatness to pro success is no guarantee, as Jason White, Danny Wuerffel, Andre Ware and many others can attest. McCoy, however, figured to make the jump. The injury he suffered in this year's national championship derailed his start and helped drop him to 85th in the draft, so it's not like he was expected to immediately step into a starring role like top pick Sam Bradford(notes). But to be cut before his first regular season? That would be a bit of a stunner.

This is still all conjecture though. There are two preseason games left for McCoy to prove himself and I'd imagine the Cleveland QB battle is closer than the Plain Dealer lets on. Delhomme and Wallace were available this offseason for a reason, after all.

At some point, Colt McCoy will get a shot to play in the NFL. It just may not be with the Cleveland Browns.

BoulderSooner79
8/25/2010, 08:37 PM
3rd rounders usually get extra opportunities to make the squad. Maybe they put him on the practice team and let him try to make the team next year.

Collier11
8/25/2010, 08:43 PM
NO! This is a retarded and uneducated article IMO, the Browns gave Colt 2nd rd money, they arent just gonna throw it away without giving him a shot, IMHO.

If they do cut him ill eat my words but I say there is ZERO chance

MichiganSooner
8/25/2010, 08:53 PM
If they do cut him, somebody else will pick him up.

soonerinabilene
8/25/2010, 09:24 PM
If they do cut him, somebody else will pick him up.
well, he is not a wr, so detroit is out. he is not a felon, so oakland, dallas, and cincy are out. if he gets cut and lionfart keeps sucking at a ryan leaf type level, the cards could snatch him up.

Since71ASooner4Life
8/26/2010, 06:19 AM
All rivalry talk aside, I wish that kid nothing but the best. He proved to be 100% class regardless who he played for.

Mark_in_Tulsa
8/26/2010, 08:00 AM
All rivalry talk aside, I wish that kid nothing but the best. He proved to be 100% class regardless who he played for.

Classy Whorns are far and and few between. Hope the best for the kid.

rawlingsHOH
8/26/2010, 09:08 AM
Trent Dilfer is PISSED!

KantoSooner
8/26/2010, 09:14 AM
Maybe it makes sense for the Browns to cut him.....but whoever picks him up, and someone will, will get a quality player and team member. The guy wins games. I can remember a number of times he beat OU on plays when virtually anyone else I can think of would have been down for a loss. I don't care about his size, speed or whatever, the SOB wins games.

rawlingsHOH
8/26/2010, 09:59 AM
Maybe it makes sense for the Browns to cut him.....but whoever picks him up, and someone will, will get a quality player and team member. The guy wins games. I can remember a number of times he beat OU on plays when virtually anyone else I can think of would have been down for a loss. I don't care about his size, speed or whatever, the SOB wins games.

There are hundreds of college QBs that won games. Tools translate, team victories don't.

soonerspiff
8/26/2010, 10:11 AM
There are hundreds of college QBs that won games. Tools translate, team victories don't.

Sure there are hundreds... but he's won the most in FBS history. I'd say that's pretty impressive and might be worth noting.

rawlingsHOH
8/26/2010, 10:14 AM
Sure there are hundreds... but he's won the most in FBS history. I'd say that's pretty impressive and might be worth noting.
With a very talented team, that often schedules overmatched cupcakes, in an era of 14-game seasons. It's all relative.

goingoneight
8/26/2010, 10:31 AM
The article lost all credibility when it displayed aggy logic by dropping Jason White's name amongst NFL fails. Are people ever going to look for just one second into WHY a guy's career didn't work out?

rawlingsHOH
8/26/2010, 11:07 AM
The article lost all credibility when it displayed aggy logic by dropping Jason White's name amongst NFL fails. Are people ever going to look for just one second into WHY a guy's career didn't work out?

Two bad knees, one questionable arm.

badger
8/26/2010, 11:55 AM
The reports of Colt's demise have been greatly exaggerated.

Link (http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2010/08/cleveland_browns_colt_mccoy_wi.html)

That's the latest on this rumor, via the Cleveland Plains Dealer. It would take a lot to get them to cut Colt McCoy, something that they could take his signing bonus/guaranteed money away for, like an arrest, or a drug test failure, or conduct unbecoming an NFL player resulting in a league-appropriated suspension. Think Michael Vick. Think Big Ben. Think Ricky Williams. The type of stuff they did is what would get Colt cut this season. On-field performance will not get him cut this year. They've invested too much in him to cut him loose right away for nothing.

End. Of. Discussion. Colt is not getting cut. This is absurd.

KantoSooner
8/26/2010, 12:11 PM

Okie, dokey, here we go again. I fully appreciate tools. On the other hand, there are intangibles that don't make it onto the ten or twenty or whatever list of simplistic metrics that are also important.
Running a fast 40 doesn't make you Adrian Peterson.
Throwing a ball 70 yards into a bucket doesn't make you Roger Staubach.
(Mind you, an inability to run fast or throw accurately pretty much rules out an NFL career, but that's not what we're discussing here.)

Colt McCoy has the tools. Better than player X, Y or Z? Recruiters and coaches probably each have the own opinions.

My point, as, in reread was blindingly clear, no idea why the confusion, was that McCoy has an ability to make a play where most other people can't or don't. I present as one case in point a play where he was falling down and flipped a 15-20 yarder to Shipley. Right on the money. Third down and long, suddenly first. Fine, that was college, could he do it in the pros? And he was throwing to Shipley who was far better than most. Fair enough. But that ability to pull crap out of a hat is not easily measured, is very, very real and is quite important.

Whoever gets him will get a very good player.

goingoneight
8/26/2010, 12:38 PM
Well, it was Mack Brown who drafted him to Cleveland... :D

rawlingsHOH
8/26/2010, 01:13 PM
My point, as, in reread was blindingly clear, no idea why the confusion, was that McCoy has an ability to make a play where most other people can't or don't. I present as one case in point a play where he was falling down and flipped a 15-20 yarder to Shipley. Right on the money. Third down and long, suddenly first. Fine, that was college, could he do it in the pros? And he was throwing to Shipley who was far better than most. Fair enough. But that ability to pull crap out of a hat is not easily measured, is very, very real and is quite important.

Tommie Frazier, Eric Crouch, Andre Ware, Tim Tebow and hundreds of others had ability to make plays too.

You want to talk about pulling "crap out of a hat"? Watch Charlie Ward's tape sometime.

rawlingsHOH
8/26/2010, 01:15 PM
The reports of Colt's demise have been greatly exaggerated.

Link (http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2010/08/cleveland_browns_colt_mccoy_wi.html)

That's the latest on this rumor, via the Cleveland Plains Dealer. It would take a lot to get them to cut Colt McCoy, something that they could take his signing bonus/guaranteed money away for, like an arrest, or a drug test failure, or conduct unbecoming an NFL player resulting in a league-appropriated suspension. Think Michael Vick. Think Big Ben. Think Ricky Williams. The type of stuff they did is what would get Colt cut this season. On-field performance will not get him cut this year. They've invested too much in him to cut him loose right away for nothing.

End. Of. Discussion. Colt is not getting cut. This is absurd.
Correct.

Crucifax Autumn
8/26/2010, 01:19 PM
Tools translate

Yep...The NFL is made up primarily of tools. :D

KantoSooner
8/26/2010, 04:29 PM
Well, Rawlings,
Tomato, Tomahto.
Apparently NFL recruiters and coaches felt he was worth money, just as they felt the others on your list were. Apparently they make mistakes sometimes. They also pick winners a lot of the time.
Blindingly apparently, they make the right decision more often than you or I will ever have the chance to try. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

My money is on Colt boy having a decent-ish career. And contributing positively to whoever he gets to play for.

Jason White's Third Knee
8/27/2010, 12:42 AM
I am surprised that Seneca Wallace has his number, but Colt's a youngun'.

badger
8/29/2010, 07:40 PM
I know I said "end of discussion" several posts ago, but I stand corrected - Colt is sucking. Not only that, but (I didn't see the game personally, just reported everywhere online) the coaches apparently chewed him out on the sideline, at the end of the game, for sucking so much.

Link here (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/29/tough-love-for-colt-mccoy/)... and... another link here. (http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2010/08/jake_delhommes_preseason_play.html)

I thought that Colt's status as almost-Heisman and almost-champion meant he had a year... not to mention the $1 mil guaranteed. But, then again, the Bengals just cut WR Antonio Bryant (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp10/news/story?id=5509631) after having just signed him to a four-year deal with $8 mil guaranteed. Like, this offseason. Like, the same time Colt signed with the Browns. Maybe money just isn't a big deal in the Neffel like it is everywhere else in these harsh economic times and all... not like there gonna pay much during the lockout though, I guess :rolleyes:

Anyways, apologies. It looks like Colt could definitely get cut loose at this point. He's just... terrible. Not adjusting at all. Complete opposite of Sammie.

Collier11
8/29/2010, 07:44 PM
Again, he is NOT getting cut, he was 10 for 14 lastnite, he is getting better. He isnt ever going to be a world beater in the NFL and it is funny all the talking heads on ESPN who tried to trumpet him for the NFL but I would be shocked if he got cut

Collier11
8/29/2010, 07:45 PM
but again, it does seem that Mack Browns coddling of his QBs is hurting them in the long run

badger
8/29/2010, 07:45 PM
Again, he is NOT getting cut, he was 10 for 14 lastnite, he is getting better. He isnt ever going to be a world beater in the NFL and it is funny all the talking heads on ESPN who tried to trumpet him for the NFL but I would be shocked if he got cut

True. I mean, if the Bucs bring back big bust Jevan Snead, then anything's possible.

Yup, that actually happened. (http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/08/buccaneers-bring-back-former-ole-miss-qb-jevan-snead/1)

Wishboned
8/29/2010, 07:54 PM
I know I said "end of discussion" several posts ago, but I stand corrected - Colt is sucking. Not only that, but (I didn't see the game personally, just reported everywhere online) the coaches apparently chewed him out on the sideline, at the end of the game, for sucking so much.

Link here (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/29/tough-love-for-colt-mccoy/)... and... another link here. (http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2010/08/jake_delhommes_preseason_play.html)

I thought that Colt's status as almost-Heisman and almost-champion meant he had a year... not to mention the $1 mil guaranteed. But, then again, the Bengals just cut WR Antonio Bryant (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp10/news/story?id=5509631) after having just signed him to a four-year deal with $8 mil guaranteed. Like, this offseason. Like, the same time Colt signed with the Browns. Maybe money just isn't a big deal in the Neffel like it is everywhere else in these harsh economic times and all... not like there gonna pay much during the lockout though, I guess :rolleyes:

Anyways, apologies. It looks like Colt could definitely get cut loose at this point. He's just... terrible. Not adjusting at all. Complete opposite of Sammie.

McCoy reprimanded: Rookie Colt McCoy was chastised by Mangini and Daboll on the sidelines after botching the final two plays of the game, a short pass with 26 seconds left and no timeouts that kept the clock running and a deep pass out of bounds on the final play instead of flinging it into the end zone.

He was hoping to get one more second on the clock.

GKeeper316
8/29/2010, 07:56 PM
so come on down to McCoy Kia/Hyundai for the sweetest deal on a brand new Kia in all of south texas!

Collier11
9/2/2010, 09:09 PM
Colt is 13-13 tonight, further proving the premature and idiotic nature of this article

goingoneight
9/2/2010, 11:27 PM
I don't get why it is people doubt him. People saying he only ever completed short passes in college are in the same mold as people who are saying Sam never took snaps from under center before.

Collier11
9/2/2010, 11:36 PM
exactly, I saw the guy throw deep many times

goingoneight
9/2/2010, 11:38 PM
He also hit some passes with plenty of zip on them for a guy with a supposed "jello arm."

stoops the eternal pimp
9/2/2010, 11:41 PM
lots of articles these days...very few journalists

prrriiide
9/2/2010, 11:57 PM
A complete moron wrote that article. They aren't going to cut a guy after agreeing to just over a mill in guaranteed money. If they don't like what they are seeing, then he can hold a clipboard while they coach him up. But they're gonna get their money's worth before they cut him.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5402260

Third-round pick Colt McCoy (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=13199) agreed to a four-year deal Thursday worth up to $5 million, according to a league source; $1.07 million is guaranteed, a source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

And Badj...Bryant might not ever play another down for anyone if he can't get his knee rehabbed enough to run a good route. Apples to naranjas.

TexasLidig8r
9/3/2010, 08:25 AM
but again, it does seem that Mack Browns coddling of his QBs is hurting them in the long run

HUH?

First, Greg Davis is the quarterback coach. And quite frankly, and with as many flaws as Davis has, developing quarterbacks is not one of them.

Colt was an unheralded kid from Tuscola with very few scholarship offers... he developed into winning the most starts in NCAA history as well as leading Texas to a number of come from behind wins. I believe he will be an ok pro.

VY... the wailing and gnashing of tooth on here proclaiming him to be a wide receiver and he would NEVER make it as a collegiate QB was deafening. Instead, in his last year, he transcended the sport. (Oh.. that's right, he was left alone, notwithstanding the fact that the UT offense was changed to adapt to his skill set and the plays were called in from the sideline). In hindsight now, if you had a choice of drafting VY, Leinert or Cutler... most would take VY in a heartbeat.

Chris Sims... yes, best known for blowing the Big XII champeenship game and not showing up against you hillbillies. He did develop though, had some very good games and but for the ruptured spleen would have had a much more productive NFL career.

Garrett Gilbert... allegedly, the offense is being changed once again to adapt more to his skill set... more pro style offense, plays under center, lengthening the passing game to take advantage of his stronger arm.

Coddling is perhaps the last word that can be used.

adoniijahsooner
9/3/2010, 08:42 AM
Instead, in his last year, he transcended the sport

How exactly did VY transcend the sport?

TexasLidig8r
9/3/2010, 10:12 AM
How exactly did VY transcend the sport?

Passed for over 3000
Rushed for over 1000
(now.. how many times had that been done in D1 football before?)
Team averaged over 50 points per game
He rarely played more than 3 quarters
Led Texas to its biggest point win over Ou

And..I know this is something that is very difficult for Ou fans to grasp since Ou teams are the very definition of front runners, but, lead Texas back from a 12 point deficit in the 4th quarter of a game to win a national championship in a game being hailed as one of the greatest of all times.

Leroy Lizard
9/3/2010, 10:21 AM
I hate threads about Texas' players. I don't care what happens to Colt McCoy, good or bad. And I sure as Hell don't care to discuss that mental midget they have playing for the Titans.

badger
9/3/2010, 10:30 AM
Still no word on the next round of cuts on NFL.com. However, big "breaking news" on that site is that Big Ben ROFLzburger is only suspended four games now

fwsooner22
9/3/2010, 10:38 AM
Passed for over 3000
Rushed for over 1000
(now.. how many times had that been done in D1 football before?)
Team averaged over 50 points per game
He rarely played more than 3 quarters
Led Texas to its biggest point win over Ou

And..I know this is something that is very difficult for Ou fans to grasp since Ou teams are the very definition of front runners, but, lead Texas back from a 12 point deficit in the 4th quarter of a game to win a national championship in a game being hailed as one of the greatest of all times.

Nobody has ever hung their hat more more on one game than Lid. One of the greatest games all time was decided because a cheater loser of a man (Reggie Bush) decided to try and pitch a ball in the middle of the field or whatever he was trying to do. That decided that game which erases any thought of it being well played. I enjoyed that game and actually wanted ** to win but give me a break as to its historical importance. You don't hear us calling the 2000 game monumental and we kicked a** and played a near perfect game and NO we did not have to come from behind. Usually when you come from behind you weren't playing well for a portion of the game. Can we please move on and quit talking about Colt and the abandoner.

Leroy Lizard
9/3/2010, 10:41 AM
Nobody has ever hung their hat more more on one game than Lid. One of the greatest games all time was decided because a cheater loser of a man (Reggie Bush) decided to try and pitch a ball in the middle of the field or whatever he was trying to do. That decided that game which erases any thought of it being well played. I enjoyed that game and actually wanted ** to win but give me a break as to its historical importance. You don't hear us calling the 2000 game monumental and we kicked a** and played a near perfect game and NO we did not have to come from behind. Usually when you come from behind you weren't playing well for a portion of the game. Can we please move on and quit talking about Colt and the abandoner.

No, we'll have to endure another PSA from Lid about his favorite players and how many yards they gained and how many TDs they scored...

Collier11
9/3/2010, 10:49 AM
HUH?

First, Greg Davis is the quarterback coach. And quite frankly, and with as many flaws as Davis has, developing quarterbacks is not one of them.

Colt was an unheralded kid from Tuscola with very few scholarship offers... he developed into winning the most starts in NCAA history as well as leading Texas to a number of come from behind wins. I believe he will be an ok pro.

VY... the wailing and gnashing of tooth on here proclaiming him to be a wide receiver and he would NEVER make it as a collegiate QB was deafening. Instead, in his last year, he transcended the sport. (Oh.. that's right, he was left alone, notwithstanding the fact that the UT offense was changed to adapt to his skill set and the plays were called in from the sideline). In hindsight now, if you had a choice of drafting VY, Leinert or Cutler... most would take VY in a heartbeat.

Chris Sims... yes, best known for blowing the Big XII champeenship game and not showing up against you hillbillies. He did develop though, had some very good games and but for the ruptured spleen would have had a much more productive NFL career.

Garrett Gilbert... allegedly, the offense is being changed once again to adapt more to his skill set... more pro style offense, plays under center, lengthening the passing game to take advantage of his stronger arm.

Coddling is perhaps the last word that can be used.

LID ignores every other post in this thread by me where im defending Colt and picks out the one where I say he is coddled, classic.

And LID, if you dont think Mack coddles QBs you are mistaken

fwsooner22
9/3/2010, 10:57 AM
Mack actually speaks for his QB's at press conferences. That defines Coddling.

TexasLidig8r
9/3/2010, 11:22 AM
LID ignores every other post in this thread by me where im defending Colt and picks out the one where I say he is coddled, classic.

And LID, if you dont think Mack coddles QBs you are mistaken

No, Fluffy.. I did not ignore every post by you. We were mostly in agreement so no reason to give you a fluffer.

as for coddling.. that is one of those all opinions no substantive fact statements and you know how much I HATE those. ;)

For a sooner Collier.. you're generally ok.

Collier11
9/3/2010, 03:39 PM
Ah Lid, are you hitting on me :D

47straight
9/3/2010, 03:51 PM

Yeah, because you know that Lake Travis offense ran everything under center! Gilbert's probably ran 8 offensive plays in a game in his life under center, most of those while losing to Alabama.

47straight
9/3/2010, 03:52 PM
Guys, in Lid's world, Mack answering a question for Chris is NOT coddling.

Jacie
9/3/2010, 04:31 PM
Based on his performance vs. the Bears, I would say, no, they won't cut him.

Ponyboy line: 13-13, 131 yds