PDA

View Full Version : Ut Oh, C.U.M.'s losing control.... where have we seen this b4?

Tigeman
8/25/2010, 07:19 PM
Looks like there's trouble in the swamp. CUM's losing control of his squad it appears.... to many ego's! Where have we seen this before?

FL Freshman tell Urban to shove it! (http://www.alligator.org/sports/football/article_380a213c-b07e-11df-bee7-001cc4c03286.html)

Posted: Wednesday, August 25, 2010 3:25 pm | Updated: 3:25 pm, Wed Aug 25, 2010.

KYLE MAISTRI, Alligator Staff Writer | 0 comments

Hours after senior Mike Pouncey told the media the freshman class needs to “just shut their mouth and come play,” Ronald Powell and Dominique Easley didn’t come to play at all.

According to a source close to the team, the two freshmen were upset with the way the coaches came down on them during special teams practice Monday and didn’t show up for Tuesday’s practice, as a result.

According to the source, both players threatened to transfer, but nothing has come of that so far.

Powell, a five-star defensive end and the No. 1 recruit in the nation according to Rivals.com, and Easley, a five-star defensive tackle, are part of a freshman class that has drawn some criticism from some of the veteran players, such as Pouncey who said the entire freshman class is cocky.

Coach Urban Meyer told the media Monday that he is concerned with the freshmen’s attitude.

“You have 25 young players -- or whatever it is -- that think they’re going to dominate the way they did in high school, and they have no idea what’s about to hit them,” Meyer said.

Easley compared himself, Powell and fellow freshman defensive lineman Sharrif Floyd to the Miami Heat’s free-agent haul.

“Ronald Powell is Chris Bosh, Sharrif (Floyd) is Dwyane Wade and I’m LeBron (James),” Easley said at UF’s Media Day.

Quarterback John Brantley was the only member of the team to address the media Wednesday. He said he didn’t know if Powell and Easley missed practice Tuesday, but said the veterans and freshmen are getting along.

“We’ve been mixing in with them fine,” Brantley said. “They came in here, they’re trying to make an impact, and you can’t really ask for anything more.”

Jacie
8/25/2010, 07:38 PM
I hope none of OUr guys pull one of these cuz I suspect they would be shown the door they were threatening to walk out.

Dominique Easley, a five-star defensive tackle, compared himself to LeBron James.

The other walkout, Ronald Powell, is a five-star defensive end and the No. 1 recruit in the nation according to Rivals.com.

Do all those stars make them stupid or what?

Tigeman
8/25/2010, 07:42 PM
5 star talent / 1 star brains!

Reminds me of our basketball team last year! We saw how well that worked out for us!

Guess they've been following the lead of Dez!

fadada1
8/25/2010, 09:21 PM
tough to be "cocky" when watching their first UF game from the stands. "holding out" from practice in your first week????? either going to be a long 4/5 years for these gents, or a short career at UF. can't see urban putting up with this for long... either way.

Tigeman
8/25/2010, 09:29 PM
Eh, some pockets will be lined, they'll get a pat on the butt, and then told to go get on the field and shut up. It'll all be swept under the rug, and urban will threaten all media w/ a nuclear explosion if they dare run w/ this story!

Thus now, you see the reports that they sat out yesterday for undisclosed reasons. However, they were back today, and the threats of transfer were greatly exaggerated.

soonerboy_odanorth
8/26/2010, 12:44 AM
How fast would Spurrier have launched those guys?

The presser would have been hillarious.

soonerboy_odanorth
8/26/2010, 12:52 AM
BTW, I hate that prima donna Urban Meyer.... But I think I hate the modern prima donna athlete more.

Do we recruit and play (now and in our history) guys with HUGE egos. Oh yeah. Have any of them ultimately gotten away with an entitlement and shirking of the real work attitude?

Hello, Marcus Dupree, I'm talking to you!

F (as in Florida) 'em. I hope they get blackballed and never see meaningful snaps on the field. Football IS the ultimate team sport for a reason.

It doesn't work with a collection of Prince Poppycocks.

Leroy Lizard
8/26/2010, 01:33 AM
BTW, I hate that prima donna Urban Meyer.... But I think I hate the modern prima donna athlete more.

Do we recruit and play (now and in our history) guys with HUGE egos. Oh yeah. Have any of them ultimately gotten away with an entitlement and shirking of the real work attitude?

Hello, Marcus Dupree, I'm talking to you!

Although Marcus was lazy, I don't think he pulled any arrogant stunts like these guys. But back then kids were more mature than they are now.

KantoSooner
8/26/2010, 12:22 PM
Not picking a fight, Leroy, but Marcus did pull azzhat stunts like this. (disappearing several times counts, no?). and I was and am of the opinion that he had the potential to be the greatest running back of all time. Not just in college, not just at OU. The greatest. Period.
I think in his case it was his handlers, but still.
God, what a waste.

Leroy Lizard
8/26/2010, 12:48 PM
Not picking a fight, Leroy, but Marcus did pull azzhat stunts like this. (disappearing several times counts, no?). and I was and am of the opinion that he had the potential to be the greatest running back of all time. Not just in college, not just at OU. The greatest. Period.
I think in his case it was his handlers, but still.
God, what a waste.

No doubting his skills. But the players at Florida apparently talked some pretty wild crap about their superstardom. I don't think Marcus did that. About the most I can say about Marcus was that he had a poor work ethic and was completely undependable. More immaturity and laziness, rather than arrogance.

Believe it or not, I think Marcus suffered from a lack of confidence. That is definitely not the problem at Florida.

badger
8/26/2010, 12:51 PM
It is very important to have team leaders as well as coaches to control upstart five-stars. Peers pressure is often more effective than big bad old guy that doesn't get our generation yelling at you.

We've had players quit on us before too, so don't get your hopes up too much for Urbie to get less cocky and less successful. The SEC team to beat this year is Bammer, not Florida (although I'm sure most fanbases would prefer wins over both, heh)

KantoSooner
8/26/2010, 01:11 PM
Fair enough, Leroy, I'll go with your reading. What a shame he couldn't pull it out.

Leroy Lizard
8/26/2010, 01:22 PM
Fair enough, Leroy, I'll go with your reading. What a shame he couldn't pull it out.

Marcus would have been a good candidate for some counseling. There isn't a whole lot you can do about the laziness, but his psyche needed a tuneup. In all, I never felt that Marcus was a bad guy; he just wasn't mentally cut out for strenuous activities.

The players from Florida? A good ***-kicking is all they need.

This assumes the stories about them are true. Not so sure.

Frozen Sooner
8/26/2010, 01:25 PM
Didn't Powell almost come here?

Good ****ing riddance.

BillyBall
8/26/2010, 01:31 PM
Didn't Powell almost come here?

Good ****ing riddance.

I think you may be thinking about Chris Martin, Powell was a USC/Florida decision.

Frozen Sooner
8/26/2010, 01:34 PM
I think you may be thinking about Chris Martin, Powell was a USC/Florida decision.

You're right.

**** him anyway. Problems with the coach and missing practice I can almost see. Crying like a gigantic titty-baby about your coach is inexcusable.

OhU1
8/26/2010, 01:42 PM
These guys sound like they would have been a better fit at "The U".

Scott D
8/26/2010, 03:21 PM
These guys sound like they would have been a better fit at "The U".

didn't you get the memo....Gainsville is the new "U"

Sabanball
8/26/2010, 03:38 PM
In think ESPN and the internet have gone a little crazy with this one.

The information that I'm getting from a friend in Gainesville is that the 2 players didn't skip practice together, and their situations are separate, Powell was at practice on Tuesday and did leave early in frustration at how the upperclassmen were treating him, while Easley missed practice for a personal reason that had nothing to do with how he was being treated...

who knows what happened but it looks like its all over now...both are at practice and both are expected to get playing time on Sept 4 v Miami (OH).

soonerboy_odanorth
8/26/2010, 03:56 PM
Although Marcus was lazy, I don't think he pulled any arrogant stunts like these guys. But back then kids were more mature than they are now.

Leroy, I think you need to sluff off a layer of dead scales. Your memory is a bit fuzzy.

First of all, maturity is a case-by-case basis. Tillman = mature. Marcus = not so much. I mean, you can examine immaturity at least back to Joe Don Looney, if not further. Bradford, mature... Rawls, DOH! Get it?

Furthermore I think an athlete that goes running to Sports Illustrated to trash his coach, largely because his coach demanded he participate in workouts to get in shape after his fat *** ran out of gas in a bowl game, is pretty bleepin' arrogant... and stupid.

Marcus stated he was in good enough shape and that his problem was he was hurt. You don't think that is arrogance? Your coach tells you you've become a lard and need to get in shape and you say, "Nope, Coach, I'm good"... that's not arrogance?

Sorry, but you'll have to explain that to me one more time again. I guess I'm a little thick.

Leroy Lizard
8/26/2010, 04:12 PM
Leroy, I think you need to sluff off a layer of dead scales. Your memory is a bit fuzzy.

First of all, maturity is a case-by-case basis. Tillman = mature. Marcus = not so much. I mean, you can examine immaturity at least back to Joe Don Looney, if not further. Bradford, mature... Rawls, DOH! Get it?

Furthermore I think an athlete that goes running to Sports Illustrated to trash his coach, largely because his coach demanded he participate in workouts to get in shape after his fat *** ran out of gas in a bowl game, is pretty bleepin' arrogant... and stupid.

Marcus stated he was in good enough shape and that his problem was he was hurt. You don't think that is arrogance? Your coach tells you you've become a lard and need to get in shape and you say, "Nope, Coach, I'm good"... that's not arrogance?

Sorry, but you'll have to explain that to me one more time again. I guess I'm a little thick.

It's been 30 years, so I think all of our memories are a bit fuzzy.

I don't think Marcus went running to SI. I think SI went running to him. As for trashing his coach, I don't recall exactly what he said.

BTW, we can disagree on Marcus' attitude without taking it personally.

badger
8/26/2010, 04:14 PM
didn't you get the memo....Gainsville is the new "U"

Yeah - the big F-U :P

47straight
8/26/2010, 04:24 PM
I can only hope that this attitude is currently infecting the UF program.

Tigeman
8/26/2010, 05:43 PM
I can only hope that this attitude is currently infecting the UF program.

We could hope! But unfortunately from the reports, it sure looks like the seniors and upperclassmen are kind of controlling things like they should :(

soonerboy_odanorth
8/27/2010, 11:24 AM
It's been 30 years, so I think all of our memories are a bit fuzzy.

I don't think Marcus went running to SI. I think SI went running to him. As for trashing his coach, I don't recall exactly what he said.

BTW, we can disagree on Marcus' attitude without taking it personally.

Not taking it personally... just bantering... thought you liked that style....

You remind me of myself... you know... you got a little jackass in ya! :D

soonerboy_odanorth
8/27/2010, 11:32 AM
I think this was the first time he ever touched a weight:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/cover/featured/8855/index.htm

Sabanball
8/27/2010, 02:22 PM
....So is Mark Richt. For someone that portrays himself as a man with Christian values and standards, he sure has had a tough time keeping his players out of the police blotter this year....

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5502906&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines