PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Wilson says Haywood best receiving TE

adoniijahsooner
8/25/2010, 05:19 PM
Man these 29 freshmen are going to make the next three to four years my best as a sooner fan....hopefully.

Austin Haywood, a freshman tight end out of Southmoore High School, is still learning the plays. Still learning how to block. Still learning the speed of the college game.

But one thing he can do well already is catch the ball downfield. Perhaps better than any other Sooner tight end. Which is why he’s likely to see time in OU’s tight end rotation this season.

“He is really good in the passing game,” said offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson. “He is still learning how to block, and learning who he has. Not necessarily in the run game, but in protection what adjustments he has to make. Those other guys (Trent Ratterree, James Hanna) are a little bit cleaner.

“But as far as running in space and catching, feeling routes and knowing where to settle and catching a football, he is our best tight end.”

Haywood is still making “some errors,” which is natural of a freshman. But Wilson sees similarities with Haywood in former All-American tight end Jermaine Gresham.

“There are some errors that would really haunt us,” Wilson said. ” It is not that he can’t block, but it is just processing and knowing what he is doing. It is harder than you think and it is just hard.

“So, we will work him in and we will keep him moving, but it will be a slight move at a time. Jermaine was kind of like that because we used his catching skills and as we kept going that first year he got more and more involved.

“Austin is not the next Jermaine. But he is a skilled receiver.”

http://blog.newsok.com/ou/2010/08/25/kevin-wilson-says-freshman-austin-haywood-ous-best-receiving-tight-end/?custom_click=lead_story_title

BoulderSooner79
8/25/2010, 05:27 PM
Lack of production from the TE position was a big issue last year. Just having the competition from Haywood has to be a plus.

oumartin
8/25/2010, 05:42 PM
yeah, lets take KW at his word. :rolleyes:

goingoneight
8/25/2010, 05:55 PM
I don't see why we shouldn't...

badger
8/25/2010, 05:56 PM
oh no :(

now you'll all be begging for even MORE "touchdown, tight end!"

:P

goingoneight
8/25/2010, 06:03 PM
If OUr 300 pounders from last year showed up and practiced the way they supposedly have this year, we might have had Brody back in the lineup. And KW would still be the hero OL/TE coach especially had JG not been hurt. But a ****storm happens and now all of a sudden he doesn't know his trade?

I expect very little of freshmen coming right out of high school. It wasn't til the BIG 12 Championship that most Sooner fans even knew who the hell Jermaine Gresham was his freshman year. I bet we see him in those flex sets like JG frequently lined up in if he isn't blocking well, yet. In those sets, it gets him out there (likely in garbage time), but nobody's going to be fooled by him stading up like an out-of-place hulk playing slot receiver.

budbarrybob
8/25/2010, 06:10 PM
Actually, this doesn't mean didley squat really. Thats like saying I'm the best sprinter in my family. Sure there are others that can run. But I'm compared to what as competition?

These aren't the droids you are looking for...

oumartin
8/25/2010, 06:48 PM
I don't see why we shouldn't...

flash back one year ago and recall KW bragging about the offensive line

BoulderSooner79
8/25/2010, 06:54 PM
flash back one year ago and recall KW bragging about the offensive line

You mean the trust has gone out of your relationship with KW?

adoniijahsooner
8/25/2010, 07:26 PM
He also said Trent Williams was the most athletic Offensive lineman he's ever had , and Trent ended up being a top 5 pick in the draft. I dont see whats wrong with him saying that Haywood is his best pass catching TE. Stoops has bragged on this freshman class all camp, and judging by the depth chart, he wasnt blowing smoke.

gaylordfan1
8/25/2010, 09:41 PM
I believe the Wilson on this. I bet Austin will have some nice highlights for the team this year.