PDA

View Full Version : So the Docs are tellin me I gots to cut most sugar

olevetonahill
8/25/2010, 03:07 PM
So whats the best tasting sweetner?
Dont say sweet an low cause that **** is nasty .
Thanks

C&CDean
8/25/2010, 03:14 PM
Splenda.

sooner_born_1960
8/25/2010, 03:16 PM
The one in the yellow package.

texaspokieokie
8/25/2010, 03:18 PM
don't like any of them; just get used to none.

i miss salt more than sugar.

i gave up on un-sweet tea. just go for water.

diet 7up is very good if you want pop.

JMHO

for the last 2 years; i haven't put salt or sugar on anything. (diabetic II)

Oldnslo
8/25/2010, 03:37 PM
Splenda (the yellow packet) and Stevia are both good.

I'll also agree on diet 7-up. diet sprite, too.

You'd also do well to watch your caffeine intake. 7-up and sprite are also without caffeine. Caffeine-free diet Dr. Pepper is okay once in awhile. Diet Sunkist Orange is also worthwhile. Probably my favorite.

another tip: up the fiber. does nothing but good.

Good luck, Vet. the first couple of weeks are tough, but then it becomes second nature!

C&CDean
8/25/2010, 03:39 PM
^^This.

I've dropped 44 lbs. by dropping the sugar, upping the fiber, and hitting the gym.

C&CDean
8/25/2010, 03:40 PM
Another very under rated diet soda is Diet Rite. They make a sugar/caffeine free tangerine soda that is good. Plus, it's cheap.

SanJoaquinSooner
8/25/2010, 03:45 PM
Splenda (the yellow packet) and Stevia are both good.

I'll also agree on diet 7-up. diet sprite, too.

You'd also do well to watch your caffeine intake. 7-up and sprite are also without caffeine. Caffeine-free diet Dr. Pepper is okay once in awhile. Diet Sunkist Orange is also worthwhile. Probably my favorite.

another tip: up the fiber. does nothing but good.

Good luck, Vet. the first couple of weeks are tough, but then it becomes second nature!

what's wrong with caffeine? I recall reading drinking coffee inhibits Type II diabetes.

texaspokieokie
8/25/2010, 03:47 PM
i drink 2 or 3 cupsa coffee every day.

for better or worse.

C&CDean
8/25/2010, 03:49 PM
what's wrote with caffeine? I recall reading drinking coffee inhibits Type II diabetes.

Caffeine isn't what inhibits the diabetes. It's the coffee itself. Decaf does the same thing.

I haven't had caffeine (or any stimulant) in over 3 years now. I drink decaf coffee/tea and it's all good. The coffee takes some getting used to. The decaf tea actually tastes better than the regular to me. Especially Luzianne.

stoopified
8/25/2010, 04:02 PM
honeypie.....I mean honey

49r
8/25/2010, 04:34 PM
It's that dang HFCS. It's killin' us all!!!

Chuck Bao
8/25/2010, 04:39 PM
Of all the posters here, Olevet, you know how much sugar goes into the making of whiskey.

I hope you can balance it out. One of those home test sugar level gadgets can help you keep it from spiking and creating future health problems. My doctor gave me mine for free.

I went to see my doc last week and he was very pleased that the sugar level in my blood was normal, thanks to the very expensive medicine I take. He was very alarmed, however, because he said my three-month average was off the charts. He explained that the liver filters out the blood sugar and retains it for three months. I have no idea how they can deduce that from a blood test, but apparently they can. And my idea of stop drinking booze a day before the blood test doesn't seem to work anymore. Apparently, I had some spikes and I was too lazy to use my home test kit.

I waited in the waiting room for two hours to see the doctor and that is because there was something happening in the emergency room of the hospital and I was quite okay to wait because, emergencies, obviously, come first. I had worked all of the newspaper crossword, sudoku, word jumble, hidden word puzzles, and went to the hospital kiosk and bought a latte with whipped cream topping and choco sprinkles iced coffee. Unfortunately, the doctor called me then and the nurse said I could go in with my drink. Then, the doctor just gave me hell about it...

yermom
8/25/2010, 04:44 PM
what about agave?

StoopTroup
8/25/2010, 04:57 PM
4-5 cups of coffee reduces your risk of Alzheimer's.

badger
8/25/2010, 05:30 PM
A lot of the fiber bars they make now taste like candy bars. Win-win!

StoopTroup
8/25/2010, 06:03 PM
A lot of the fiber bars they make now taste like candy bars. Win-win!

Until you get one that causes abdominal distention....lol

A Sooner in Texas
8/25/2010, 07:30 PM
Sorry to hear that, Vet. I'm with the others on Splenda, and there are some good brands of stevia you can buy now on the spice aisle. Can't remember the name of the one I've tried, but they're probably all pretty comparable.
Good luck with everything.

GottaHavePride
8/25/2010, 07:56 PM
what about agave?

Agave's still a plant sugar - it's just not made from sugarcane, beets, or corn. If you're looking for something that's not sugar, agave doesn't help.

yermom
8/25/2010, 08:02 PM
but it's not supposed to spike your blood sugar like sugar does

SunnySooner
8/25/2010, 08:07 PM
My helpful hint is that the WalMart version of the yellow packet is just as good/identical to the name brand, so save a little and get it instead. Makes really good fake latte's . Welcome to our world, Vet, just do what your Doc sez, he ain't talkin' to hear his head rattle.:P

olevetonahill
8/25/2010, 08:21 PM
^^This.

I've dropped 44 lbs. by dropping the sugar, upping the fiber, and hitting the gym.

Heh I can do 2 out of those 3 :D **** that gym **** .:P

Thanks Folks Ill get some splenda and give it a try
I tried that sweet an low crap with my coffee this morning
Yup If i had to use that **** id give up my coffee in a heartbeat ;)

olevetonahill
8/25/2010, 08:23 PM
My helpful hint is that the WalMart version of the yellow packet is just as good/identical to the name brand, so save a little and get it instead. Makes really good fake latte's . Welcome to our world, Vet, just do what your Doc sez, he ain't talkin' to hear his head rattle.:P

One thing holds me back from buying the walmart brand
I aint set foot in one in about 10 years.;)

proud gonzo
8/25/2010, 08:45 PM
Agave is almost pure fructose, so even though it doesn't make your sugar level spike doesn't mean it's good for you. It's probably worse for you than sugar.