PDA

View Full Version : Best Store Bought BBQ Sauce...

royalfan5
8/25/2010, 10:43 AM
I prefer Famous Dave's Apricot Bourbon Sauce for my home use. Mostly on chicken. What else do you guys use?

JohnnyMack
8/25/2010, 10:45 AM
http://www.smokinfoods.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=89&Itemid=76

Get the "Smokin Razz". It's damn near epic, no msg, locally made. It rawks.

Frozen Sooner
8/25/2010, 11:22 AM
You can order it online, so it counts: Dreamland.

I like Stubbs' as well.

NormanPride
8/25/2010, 11:24 AM
Head Country by a country mile.

Mississippi Sooner
8/25/2010, 11:24 AM
Lately, I've become partial to this one:

http://www.cajunpowersauce.com/products.cfm?c=08D960F1-F42E-BF06-519F031468853216

They have several products, but it's the original Cajun Power Garlic Sauce that I like. For chicken, marinate it overnight and then grill it. For ribs, first rub them and smoke them for about an hour, and then wrap them in foil after applying a liberal amount of the sauce and grill them for another couple of hours. Fall off the bone good.

Tulsa_Fireman
8/25/2010, 11:30 AM
It was Selmon Brothers, but I can't find it anymore.

Explodo
8/25/2010, 11:40 AM
Famous Dave's Georgia Mustard Sauce.

Oldnslo
8/25/2010, 11:47 AM
Billy Sims! We like both the sweet and the hot.

sooneron
8/25/2010, 11:57 AM
Put me down for HC when I don't have time to make my own.
Billy Sims is pretty good.
I like Selmon Brothers Hot.

Leroy Lizard
8/25/2010, 12:27 PM
http://preparednesspro.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/kraft-bbq-sauce.jpg

And their ranch dressing is the best too.

JohnnyMack
8/25/2010, 12:39 PM
Go away troll.

Boomer.....
8/25/2010, 12:43 PM
I have Stubbs in the fridge now but I like Head Country just as well.

C&CDean
8/25/2010, 01:42 PM
We've been down this road many, many times. It is universally accepted by anyone who knows anything about BBQ that Head Country is BY FAR the best store-bought. Plus, it's OK made.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
8/25/2010, 02:04 PM
Head Country by a country mile.I Guess we don't often agree, but THIS IS SOME GREAT BBQ SAUCE!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
8/25/2010, 02:06 PM
We've been down this road many, many times. It is universally accepted by anyone who knows anything about BBQ that Head Country is BY FAR the best store-bought. Plus, it's OK made.NO SHIITE!

stoopified
8/25/2010, 02:18 PM
Head Country by a country mile.I thought we were talking BEST not WORST.HC is nasty,and I lived in Ponca City(home of HC)and ate in their resturant ,it is rank.

C&CDean
8/25/2010, 02:21 PM
I thought we were talking BEST not WORST.HC is nasty,and I lived in Ponca City(home of HC)and ate in their resturant ,it is rank.

Well then, you obviously know dick about BBQ sauce.

Pray tell, what is your sauce of choice?

Boomer.....
8/25/2010, 02:37 PM
I thought we were talking BEST not WORST.HC is nasty,and I lived in Ponca City(home of HC)and ate in their resturant ,it is rank.

I ate there a few weeks ago and it was good. The BBQ wasn't the best that I have had but the sauce made it.

soonerinabilene
8/25/2010, 03:16 PM
absoluely wild, red mudd, and head country. my wife was raised thinking that kraft made good bbq sauce. first time we qwent shopping together she reached for that crap and i almost screamed. she now realizes there is a difference in sauces.

C&CDean
8/25/2010, 03:22 PM
Kraft tastes like sugary crap to me.

If you really want good, get the Head Country Hot, then lace it with some rooster jizz.

Oldnslo
8/25/2010, 03:30 PM
http://www.smokinfoods.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=89&Itemid=76

Get the "Smokin Razz". It's damn near epic, no msg, locally made. It rawks.

I just saw this at the Hasty Bake store in Tulsa. 11th and Lewis. I'll pick up a bottle next time.

Nedra D's Hickory Rub... but that's another story for another thread.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/25/2010, 03:33 PM
Head Country Hot is probably the best...Famous Dave's Dragon Spit is good, but they don't sell it in stores around here..

PhilTLL
8/25/2010, 03:38 PM
The actual Head Country restaurant isn't really worth your time. Go down 14th just south of Grand to Dougan's, where resides the actual best barbecue in Ponca City. I've always liked HC sauce, but I totally see the argument against--it's really sweet, not very complex and overly ketchup-ish for some.

Lately I've been into less- or not-sweet sauces, and of the store-bought ones, Stubbs' is very good for that. I don't have proof but I could swear the less-sweet style has been getting harder and harder to find in Oklahoma restaurants. If you go to a lot of Ranger or Cowboy games, there's a place called Bodacious on Division St. in Arlington that has merely good meat, but a killer sauce in this style.

C&CDean
8/25/2010, 03:41 PM
The actual Head Country restaurant isn't really worth your time. Go down 14th just south of Grand to Dougan's, where resides the actual best barbecue in Ponca City. I've always liked HC sauce, but I totally see the argument against--it's really sweet, not very complex and overly ketchup-ish for some.

Lately I've been into less- or not-sweet sauces, and of the store-bought ones, Stubbs' is very good for that. I don't have proof but I could swear the less-sweet style has been getting harder and harder to find in Oklahoma restaurants. If you go to a lot of Ranger or Cowboy games, there's a place called Bodacious on Division St. in Arlington that has merely good meat, but a killer sauce in this style.

Head Country Hot could not ever be classified as "sweet or ketchupy." I don't know about the regular, cause I never eat it.

Mississippi Sooner
8/25/2010, 03:45 PM
The old "best BBQ sauce" debate is, of course, based mostly on the region of the country where you were raised and what you are used to calling BBQ. Heck, you can start a war in North Carolina just by being on the wrong side of the state and forgetting which side prefers the ketchup based and which side says only vinegar based is the real deal. Here in Mississippi, they think BBQ is only pulled pork or ribs dripping with a ketchup based sauce. When I try to bring up the subject of brisket, I might as well be speaking a foreign language.

BBQ debates are always a lot of fun, though. Over the past 15 years I have been able to get a few people around here to broaden their horizons.

Frozen Sooner
8/25/2010, 03:48 PM
The old "best BBQ sauce" debate is, of course, based mostly on the region of the country where you were raised and what you are used to calling BBQ. Heck, you can start a war in North Carolina just by being on the wrong side of the state and forgetting which side prefers the ketchup based and which side says only vinegar based is the real deal. Here in Mississippi, they think BBQ is only pulled pork or ribs dripping with a ketchup based sauce. When I try to bring up the subject of brisket, I might as well be speaking a foreign language.

BBQ debates are always a lot of fun, though. Over the past 15 years I have been able to get a few people around here to broaden their horizons.

Swing on over here and I'll hit you up with some Archibald's.

Mississippi Sooner
8/25/2010, 03:50 PM
Swing on over here and I'll hit you up with some Archibald's.

I'm ashamed to say I really haven't explored the Bama BBQ scene much, other than Dreamland.

Frozen Sooner
8/25/2010, 03:53 PM
Dreamland is the starting steps. Archibald's is where that path leads. Just a little smoky shack in the woods--you eat outside with the flies.

Mississippi Sooner
8/25/2010, 03:56 PM
Dreamland is the starting steps. Archibald's is where that path leads. Just a little smoky shack in the woods--you eat outside with the flies.

Sounds like my kinda place. I know a few places over in the Delta like that. At first you wonder if you are safe getting out of your car there, but then you realize it's the place to be.

JohnnyMack
8/25/2010, 04:27 PM
Easy sauce to make:

Carolina Red
1-1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper or hot dried red chile flakes
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon table salt
Stir together all ingredients, dissolving the sugar and salt. Serve at room temperature.*

I usually add about 2 Tablespoons of butter and 2 Tablespoons of flour to thicken it up just a bit.

*I stole this from the Weber Virtual Bullet Site.

IB4OU2
8/25/2010, 04:45 PM
Head Country by a country mile.

^^^
This!

Frozen Sooner
8/25/2010, 06:42 PM
Sounds like my kinda place. I know a few places over in the Delta like that. At first you wonder if you are safe getting out of your car there, but then you realize it's the place to be.

Well, Hell, you're only a couple hour drive away. Come on over for the Ole Miss game.

Crucifax Autumn
8/25/2010, 06:57 PM
I'm a stubbs guy myself, but I know better to say so since Dean will make fun of it...

Leroy Lizard
8/25/2010, 06:58 PM
Kraft tastes like sugary crap to me.

If you really want good, get the Head Country Hot, then lace it with some rooster jizz.

Kraft doesn't sound so bad after all, does it? :D

Breadburner
8/25/2010, 09:18 PM
Head Country.....

sooneron
8/25/2010, 09:52 PM
BTW, my pref is for HC Hickory or Hot. I don't think the regular is all that great.

sooneron
8/25/2010, 09:53 PM
and their premium marinade is tip top, imo.

sooneron
8/25/2010, 09:55 PM
And I should have this bad boy in about 5-6 weeks!

http://www.gatorpit.net/budgetbbqpits/images/2040%20double%20door%20smoker2.JPG

Just imagine a die cut OU logo in steel seemingly floating on the stack instead of that nasty gator.

Crimsontothecore
8/25/2010, 09:56 PM
My vote goes to Sweet Baby Rays. mega yummy!!

Crimsontothecore
8/25/2010, 09:58 PM
And I should have this bad boy in about 5-6 weeks!

http://www.gatorpit.net/budgetbbqpits/images/2040%20double%20door%20smoker2.JPG

Just imagine a die cut OU logo in steel seemingly floating on the stack instead of that nasty gator.

My kind of grill. I'll take a good charcoal grill with a smoke box any day over a high priced, stainless steel sissy gas grill.

sooner59
8/25/2010, 10:00 PM
http://preparednesspro.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/kraft-bbq-sauce.jpg

And their ranch dressing is the best too.

I expect nothing less. I am very picky about ranch dressing. And I have some that I like more than others, but there is only one ranch dressing that I can not eat. Kraft ranch dressing is inedible. Period. Its actually sickening. Its the cheapest, crappiest brand out there. Don't know about their bbq sauce, but if its anything like their ranch, I would rather **** on something than put Kraft on it.

sooner59
8/25/2010, 10:03 PM
BTW, Head Country is my favorite, but Stubbs and Billy Sims aren't bad either.

setem
8/25/2010, 10:31 PM
Sweet Baby Rays is pretty much all I know in life, besides the sauce at BBQ joints. It smokey and delicious and goes well mixed with ranch when I eat Dyno-Nuggets!

Crucifax Autumn
8/25/2010, 11:14 PM
Some of the posts in this thread explain so much.

sooner59
8/25/2010, 11:27 PM
Some of the posts in this thread explain so much.

You learn more about me everyday, Cru. :D

ouwasp
8/25/2010, 11:50 PM
My wife goes to a convention in another part of the USA about once a yr. One of the things she is supposed to do is buy me a bottle of locally made BBQ sauce. There's some strange stuff out there, like the cranberry-based type from Boston.

THE best has been an Atlanta brand. Fatt Matt's. It can be bought online.

Otherwise we usually get Head Country or KC Masterpiece.

Leroy Lizard
8/26/2010, 01:26 AM
I expect nothing less. I am very picky about ranch dressing. And I have some that I like more than others, but there is only one ranch dressing that I can not eat. Kraft ranch dressing is inedible. Period. Its actually sickening. Its the cheapest, crappiest brand out there. Don't know about their bbq sauce, but if its anything like their ranch, I would rather **** on something than put Kraft on it.

That's impossible. They had a commercial once where they went to a top French restaurant and replaced the salad dressing with Kraft. And the patrons said it was real good. I saw it on tv with my own eyes.

Or was it coffee?

sooner59
8/26/2010, 11:30 AM
That's impossible. They had a commercial once where they went to a top French restaurant and replaced the salad dressing with Kraft. And the patrons said it was real good. I saw it on tv with my own eyes.

Or was it coffee?

Either way, it had the world "French" in it. The only good things that have that word in them are french fries, french toast, and french maid costumes.

Leroy Lizard
8/26/2010, 12:21 PM
Either way, it had the world "French" in it. The only good things that have that word in them are french fries, french toast, and french maid costumes.

French kiss?

Which brings us back to the topic of barbecue sauce.

Curly Bill
8/28/2010, 10:56 PM
Cru is right: Stubbs for the win.

...and who cares what Dean thinks? :cool:

Mazeppa
8/28/2010, 11:06 PM
My bbq sauce is better than all of that, I'll try to bring a bottle by the tailgate.

delhalew
8/29/2010, 12:02 AM
I have to go Head Country. I also love Billy Sims hot.
Even though it's from Texas, Red Mud is good ****e. http://www.redmudbbq.com/

unbiasedtruth
8/29/2010, 12:56 AM
on my wish list:
http://www.sybbq.com/b_tow_4.php
right now I use an upright vertical smoker smoker, square box I bought years ago, dont like the horizontals unless the fire box goes across the whole length like in the link...

as far as store bought sauce, dont know when I last bought a jar of that... I think it was Stubbs though.

I do like the Cajun Power Garlic sauce as mention previously... was shown this about 3 years ago....

lately I have been cooking chicken with this
http://www.reggae-reggae.co.uk/go/product/reggae-reggae-sauce

the above 2 have to be mail ordered, the 2nd one if from the UK

SicEmBaylor
8/30/2010, 01:36 AM
You can order it online, so it counts: Dreamland.

I like Stubbs' as well.

I used to love Stubb's. The real Stubb's in Austin. It used to be fantastic, but the last time I went they changed the menu and the food was awful. I had the fattiest most disgusting tasting brisket in my life. Truly a shame because it used to be mouth-wateringly orgasmic.

Let me tell you how much I loved Stubbs -- I got hit by a f'in car and skipped across an intersection like a pebble on the water. I got up and instead of going to the hospital, I hobbled my *** into Stubb's and ordered some onion rings and a beer. That's how much I loved Stubb's.