PDA

View Full Version : Some Sooner rookie notes

Collier11
8/24/2010, 11:38 PM
We all know about Bradford, Gresh, Mccoy, and Williams but here is some info from the Tulsa World about the other guys...

Keenan Clayton, a 4th rd draft pick of the Eagles has moved up to 2nd string

Dominique Franks, a 5th rd pick of the Falcons is being called the "steal of the draft" by some local media.

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution recently ran a poll asking: "How High Can Franks Climb" on the Falcons' depth chart. The newspaper projected Franks as the top backup at both corner spots, and he could push for starting duty on special teams returning kicks.

Brody Eldridge, a 5th rd pick of the Colts has played well and earned lots of praise

Eldridge has Colts coaches raving about his versatility. The 6-foot-6, 265-pounder - who started at tight end, fullback, center and left guard for the Sooners - was drafted to help protect all-world quarterback Peyton Manning.

In addition to being a dominating blocker at tight end, Indianapolis has been delighted to discover Eldridge might be another target for Manning. Although he caught only 13 passes for 98 yards and one touchdown during four seasons at OU, Eldridge has shocked the Colts staff and Manning with his pass-receiving skills.

Manning has praised Eldridge for having good, soft hands after the rookie recorded a combined four receptions for 44 yards in the Colts' two exhibition games.

"I've always believed in my pass-catching skills," Eldridge told the Indianapolis Star. "I just never really did it."

The NFL may turn out better than college for Eldridge and some other Bedlam brothers who didn't go in the first round but appear to be going places now.

Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20100824_202_B1_ALLTHE471140

sooneron
8/24/2010, 11:45 PM
Brody can catch?

Good for him!

rawlingsHOH
8/25/2010, 08:46 AM
His hands were terrible at OU. Every attempt was a coin flip.

kustang619
8/25/2010, 11:49 AM
Not the 4th down play in Stoolwater when Sammy threw him a bullet for a TD...We later went on to win the game and whoop up on Mizzou to take home another big 12 championship. Brody made a few big catches while at OU...

Collier11
8/25/2010, 11:54 AM
and im not sure what the point of you guys criticizing him in this thread are

NormanPride
8/25/2010, 12:07 PM
Brody dropped a pass, so I hate him. Your thread is just a medium for my seething hatred.

sooneron
8/25/2010, 12:12 PM

thread are?

Face it, throwing him the ball was usually cringe inducing. He was a solid blocking TE, not a pass catching TE.

rawlingsHOH
8/25/2010, 12:32 PM
Because the "news" in this story is that he can now catch the ball consistently.

The guy had terrible hands at OU. Probably only rivaled by Dane Zaslaw, in terms of guys who had balls thrown their way. He fought the ball.

Glad to see him doing well. He was a phenomonal blocker at OU, and a deserving all-conference player.

Collier11
8/25/2010, 12:58 PM
A thread that is celebrating the success of fellow Sooners is not the thread to gripe about their past shortcomings IMO

JLEW1818
8/25/2010, 01:10 PM
Not the 4th down play in Stoolwater when Sammy threw him a bullet for a TD...We later went on to win the game and whoop up on Mizzou to take home another big 12 championship. Brody made a few big catches while at OU...

my first thought

rawlingsHOH
8/25/2010, 01:16 PM
A thread that is celebrating the success of fellow Sooners is not the thread to gripe about their past shortcomings IMO

There's a party goin' on right here!

starclassic tama
8/25/2010, 02:01 PM
Because the "news" in this story is that he can now catch the ball consistently.

The guy had terrible hands at OU. Probably only rivaled by Dane Zaslaw, in terms of guys who had balls thrown their way. He fought the ball.

Glad to see him doing well. He was a phenomonal blocker at OU, and a deserving all-conference player.

name more than one specific instance in which eldridge dropped a pass. i can't recall any off hand. the obvious reason we didn't use him as a pass catching tight end is because of JERMAINE GRESHAM! that doesn't mean eldridge didn't have the ability...

rawlingsHOH
8/25/2010, 02:23 PM
name more than one specific instance in which eldridge dropped a pass. i can't recall any off hand. the obvious reason we didn't use him as a pass catching tight end is because of JERMAINE GRESHAM! that doesn't mean eldridge didn't have the ability...
a potential TD in the 2007 Big 12 title game against #1 Mizzou. Bradford ended up throwing the next one to JJ Finley for the score.

NEXT!

OUMallen
8/25/2010, 02:25 PM
a potential TD in the 2007 Big 12 title game against #1 Mizzou. Bradford ended up throwing the next one to JJ Finley for the score.

NEXT!

JJ Finley...that boy had some hands.

stoopified
8/25/2010, 02:30 PM
good for Brody

rawlingsHOH
8/25/2010, 02:31 PM
Jermaine Gresham had a ton of drops too, for that matter. Though was significantly more consistent in 2008.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/25/2010, 02:58 PM
They only person who could seriously call Franks the "steal of the draft" would have to be a family member or the overstatement champion of the world, James Hale...

Franks was a good value for sure, but he's competing for a backup corner spot and a backup punt returner spot...

The steal of the draft right now looks like Syracuse WR Mike Williams at Tampa Bay..and Brody Eldridge could be considered a steal depending on how much he contributes once season starts