PDA

View Full Version : Dear Texas...

the_ouskull
8/24/2010, 06:47 PM
...no, it's not the rant. Not yet. This is just a message that I never wanted to deliver. I've never been the "Player X is doing better in the NFL, so there!" kind of guy. Texas fans used to be that way because OU wasn't getting players drafted. That's not really the case now, though. But, I'd rather no players get drafted and OU wins championships, so what do I know?

Anyway, this is just years of living too close to Texas leaking back out of my brain with a Crimson tint. (From blood, or Sooner, I'm not sure...) But, here goes:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-ramspreview

and

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-rams-bradford

vs.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=tsn-166265

=

http://i.zdnet.com/blogs/nelson-muntz.gif

the_ouskull

pilobolus
8/25/2010, 11:39 AM
poor lil pony boy:texan:

badger
8/25/2010, 11:46 AM
Colt's play vs. Green Bay really surprised me. I mean, I love my Packers and I know our defense pwns the rest of the Neffel combined, but two interceptions and an injured hand... wow. The Browns suck. They need tons of help everywhere, and it doesn't help that the two guys ahead of him (including a name you all might remember - Seneca Wallace) are doing really, really well thus far.

It is hard to judge a rookie going up against (and with) the third stringers, but then again, it was easy for all of us to judge Teebz when he did the same thing behind Brady Quinn... lol Quinn sucks.

Anyway, Sammie, by virtue of being the #1 overall pick, will have a future in this league guaranteed, because the Rams have 50 million reasons to keep him around. Colt? Easy to cut. Just the way things are. Not an OU vs Texas thing, just the way things are.

soonerloyal
8/25/2010, 11:46 AM
I'm wishing Colt the very best. He's a damn fine player and a good guy. Every reason to hope he'll do what he needs to do and be successful.

sooneron
8/25/2010, 11:51 AM
Now which ESPiN "analyst" was saying that Colt would probably turn out the best of the bunch? I believe he was tied to Colt's marketing/agent team...

badger
8/25/2010, 11:58 AM
Now which ESPiN "analyst" was saying that Colt would probably turn out the best of the bunch? I believe he was tied to Colt's marketing/agent team...

I thin you're thinking of the porcupine head from Domer, not Colt. Melvin was going nuts talking about spikey haired dude and his plummeting draft stock, saying that he rated players on how he expected them to turn out, citing the undrafted wonders (Tom Brady, I think) and such, not where he expected teams to draft them.

It was very funny to watch. I'm sure Youtube has it.

sooneron
8/25/2010, 12:15 PM
It wasn't Mel.

sooneron
8/25/2010, 12:16 PM
I'll give you a clue. He played qb.

badger
8/25/2010, 12:19 PM
Ah... well... I like Todd vs. Mel fighting over Jimmy better than anything you're describing ;)

before anyone is ready to write Colt's NFL career off because of an iffy start, please consider Graham Harrell. Remember him? System QB at Tech that threw endless passes to Crabtree, including the one that got us into two title games... yeah, Graham was relegated to Canada straight outta college, but he's with the Packers now and really looking good.

And to think... he nearly ended up as a Poke coach :eek:

Don't give up on Colt yet, whorn fans... not that you ever would :P

Mississippi Sooner
8/25/2010, 12:28 PM
Ah... well... I like Todd vs. Mel fighting over Jimmy better than anything you're describing ;)

before anyone is ready to write Colt's NFL career off because of an iffy start, please consider Graham Harrell. Remember him? System QB at Tech that threw endless passes to Crabtree, including the one that got us into two title games... yeah, Graham was relegated to Canada straight outta college, but he's with the Packers now and really looking good.

And to think... he nearly ended up as a Poke coach :eek:

Don't give up on Colt yet, whorn fans... not that you ever would :P

And never, ever forget the ultimate "he's too short and doesn't have a strong enough arm for the NFL so ship him off to Canada" story. None other than Mr. Flutie Flakes himself.

Bourbon St Sooner
8/25/2010, 12:31 PM
:texan:You land thieves can only win with Texas players:texan:

badger
8/25/2010, 12:33 PM
:texan:You land thieves can only win with Texas players:texan:

:les: Did somebody say TEXAS PLAYERS??? [hairGel]

stoopified
8/25/2010, 02:42 PM
[QUOTE=Bourbon St Sooner;2931737]:texan:You land thieves can only win with Texas players:texan:[/QUOT
:D

badger
8/25/2010, 02:46 PM
If it matters, and I think it does, Colt has $1.07 mil guaranteed in his four year deal that he signed.

I know NFL paychecks are big, but not sure an organization just would let $1 mil go down the drain.

I would suspect that they'll try to trade him before they'd cut him, and if they couldn't trade him, they'd squeeze him into their 53-man roster.

STEP, is a $1 mil guaranteed a good reason to keep a player around?

texaspokieokie
8/25/2010, 02:47 PM
glad to see graham harrell getting a chance.

if he's just a "system QB"; then they should adopt that system.

he was terrific @ tech.

badger
8/25/2010, 02:50 PM
glad to see graham harrell getting a chance.

if he's just a "system QB"; then they should adopt that system.

he was terrific @ tech.

It took just one crappy QB to realize that Leach might have had more than so-called system QB's in his system at Tech.

From Kliff to Graham, Leach had very solid passers. That dude Tommy is stuck with now will be the reason Tech does very little this season.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/25/2010, 03:41 PM
STEP, is a $1 mil guaranteed a good reason to keep a player around?

He'll make their roster..The Browns have nothing at quarterback and he could develop into a nice backup, potential starter when Delhomme goes into turnover mode....thats not a big guaranteed, but they wont cut him to keep Brent Ratliff....Can't cut him or put him on the practice squad, so somebody else can pick him up

TexasLidig8r
8/25/2010, 03:44 PM
Of course, that report comes from a newspaper reporter... and not a source from within the team. And we all know that newspaper reporters NEVER have an agenda. :rolleyes:

If the Browns are stupid enough to let Colt go (and quite frankly, Holmgren seems to really like Colt.. Mangini less so. Perhaps Mangina ought to worry about his own job first) there will be a lot of NFL teams who will pick up Colt.

Will Colt ever be a Peyton Manning? Probably not. But, a darned good career back up and fill in starter.

Oh... OP.. it's ok to take your "I hate Texas" glasses off and see the young adults for who they are when they are in the NFL, instead of what university they attended. :rolleyes:

yankee
8/25/2010, 03:45 PM
From Kliff to Graham, Leach had very solid passers. That dude Tommy is stuck with now will be the reason Tech does very little this season.

and what's funny is potts was regarded as the best NFL QB prospect leach recruited/had during his tenure. don't think that's the case anymore.

badger
8/25/2010, 04:18 PM
He'll make their roster..The Browns have nothing at quarterback and he could develop into a nice backup, potential starter when Delhomme goes into turnover mode....thats not a big guaranteed, but they wont cut him to keep Brent Ratliff....Can't cut him or put him on the practice squad, so somebody else can pick him up

Another thing that big fat walrus they have in charge (yes, still bitter that Mike Holmgren left GB for Seattle) will consider is how much quarterbacks are trade bait for teams. You know how many Favre backups in GB went on to start elsewhere? The list is quite long, and the Packers were compensated for keeping them on the roster even though there was no question Favre would never take any time off, ever, for any reason.

Long story short, Colt will be traded or kept, but not cut and not practice squadded. At this point, I don't see them needing more than three QB's around, so unless he shows more upside than the other three-guy (his name escapes me), look for a trade. Please. Not. Green. Bay...

Scott D
8/25/2010, 05:19 PM
In regards to this Colt stuff. I'd almost 100% expect Colt's stay in Cleveland to last longer than how much longer Mangini will remain the head coach.

ouleaf
8/25/2010, 05:26 PM

^This^....I don't think he'd make it through waivers if they are going to try and sneak him onto Practice Squad....Someone would pick him up. Sounds like he's destined for 3rd string at least this year and we'll see where he is at next year.

StoopTroup
8/25/2010, 05:32 PM
He ain't lost his spleen yet.