PDA

View Full Version : OU Daily, Predicting Scores

oudavid1
8/24/2010, 01:57 PM
COLUMN: Predicting the Sooner football season

* James Corley/The Daily

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The Daily’s James Corley analyzes the Sooners’ upcoming football schedule and forecasts potential outcomes for Stoops’ troops.

Sept. 4 vs Utah State (Norman)
The Sooners open the season against a team that finished 4-8 and seventh in the Western Athletic Conference. Not a shameful powderpuff matchup, but nothing special either.
Prediction: Win, 42-3

Sept. 11 vs Florida State (Norman)
The Seminoles can be formidable and are ranked preseason No. 20. FSU’s senior quarterback Christian Ponder will test OU’s secondary, but the Sooners are nearly unbeatable at home.
Prediction: W, 38-24

Sept. 18 vs Air Force (Norman)
After their 8-5 season was topped by the Falcons’ 47-20 Armed Forces Bowl win over Houston, the Air Force gained a lot of national respect. They’re not quite giant killers yet, though.
Prediction: W, 45-14

Sept. 25 at Cincinnati (Cincinnati, Ohio)
The Sooners’ first road challenge in 2010 is a doozy. The beasts of the Big East are a little less scary without slinger Tony Pike to lead them to another undefeated regular season.
Prediction: W, 31-27

Oct. 2 vs Texas (Dallas)
This one’s always big. The Longhorns might be looking at a rebuilding year with sophomore quarterback Garrett Gilbert, but both teams always play a little extra scrappy in Dallas.
Prediction: W, 24-17

Oct. 9 (bye week)
The Sooners would probably rather have this bye before the Texas game, but a little recharge before the rest of conference play never hurts.

Oct. 16 vs Iowa State (Norman)
The Cyclones have lived in the Big 12 North basement since Seneca Wallace left, and no one really expects anything different this year because of their gauntlet of a schedule.
Prediction: W, 62-3

Oct. 23 at Missouri (Columbia, Mo.)
The Tigers could be contenders for the Big 12 North title and have the luxury of hosting the Sooners, but I’m not real high on Blaine Gabbert or Missouri without a star receiver.
Prediction: W, 38-14

Oct. 30 vs Colorado (Norman)
Coach Dan Hawkins has the right idea for Colorado’s offense but not the right personnel. The Buffaloes don’t have many chances to improve on last year’s 3-9 record, especially not this game.
Prediction: W, 35-7

Nov. 6 at Texas A&M (College Station, Texas)
Nobody wants to go play the Aggies at Kyle Field. Jerrod Johnson and Von Miller will bring everything the Sooners don’t need to this game. The 12th Man has an eerie power to get inside opposing quarterbacks’ heads, and Jones proved last year he gets rattled on the road.
Prediction: L, 24-28

Nov. 13 vs Texas Tech (Norman)
Who knows what the Red Raiders are going to be like this year in Tommy Tuberville’s system? Definitely different than Mike Leech’s A.D.D. offense, but probably not different enough to off the Sooners at home.
Prediction: W, 49-10

Nov. 20 at Baylor (Waco, Texas)
I’m a Robert Griffin fan. The kid’s brought hope to an otherwise hopeless fan base. Now that he’s healthy again, I expect Baylor to win a lot of games this year. Just not this one.
Prediction: W, 36-14

Nov. 27 at Oklahoma State (Stillwater)
The Cowboys are probably going to have a very down year, but even at their worst — OU was one of only four teams OSU beat in 2001 — they’ve found a way against the Sooners.
Prediction: W, 28-10

Dec. 4 vs Nebraska (Big 12 Championship in Arlington, Texas)
The Sooners (11-1) will face their traditional Big Eight rival, Nebraska (12-0). OU didn’t fare well in their last trip to Jerryworld. In this last meeting before Nebraska jumps ship for the Big Ten, the Huskers’ defense pulls out a stunner in the end.
Prediction: L, 28-31

|

badger
8/24/2010, 02:08 PM
Bawww... silly student :D

oudavid1
8/24/2010, 02:10 PM
for real, i think we can really beat neb.

badger
8/24/2010, 02:27 PM
Suh was good, Nebbish is not. Suh is done playing for Husky, and if the Packers keep their record of injuring Big 12 ex-stars up, Suh will be done playing for the Lions soon too.

Nebbish is gonna get upset by at least two Big 12 teams on its way out, leaving the door open for another North team (I'll go ahead and toss the name "Kansas State" out there for your consideration) to get into the final title game.

Widescreen
8/24/2010, 02:51 PM
You'd think this aTm team was coming off a 10-2 season and that nobody ever beats them at Kyle. Since neither one of those is true, I like our chances.

KantoSooner
8/24/2010, 02:55 PM
I think the 12th man is highly overrated. OU runs the ball over A&M and it ain't even close.

oumartin
8/24/2010, 02:57 PM
Kyle field is tough on OU.

I don't get the Nebraska love fest. They beat OU in Nebraska last year thanks to Suh and no offense whatsoever. I think OU would blow them outta the water this year

soonerborn30
8/24/2010, 03:10 PM
Yeah, I don't get the "Kyle Field Mystique" either. We've won the last 3 we've played there, albeit one more comfortably than the others.

oudavid1
8/24/2010, 03:11 PM
I think the 12th man is highly overrated. OU runs the ball over A&M and it ain't even close.

i hope so, like a repeat of 08

IronHorseSooner
8/24/2010, 03:57 PM
The thing about A&M is that they have a lot of offensive skill talent, but they have a green line. On defense, they have some talent with Miller, but really nobody else. What people are banking on is Tim DeRuyter (sp?) coming in and righting their D. He has been successful wherever he has been, and people think he will be another Muschamp.

yankee
8/24/2010, 04:06 PM
He has been successful wherever he has been, and people think he will be another Muschamp.

even i don't wish that on aggy. no one likes a doosh bag.

CaliBornSoonerBred
8/24/2010, 04:07 PM
I've had the unfortunate "pleasure" of hearing all about stupid aggie football on sports radio here in cs for the last few months. Nothing is shored up on the O or D line for them and theres A LOT of speculation and people already ready to jump ship. The most shocking thing out of the scrimmages and practices has been how poorly Jerrod Johnson has played. All of the guys who cover it down here and my one buddy who has watched a few practices all say he's erractic, inconsistent, and just not looking like himself(that they expect). Maybe he cracks under the pressure of having expectations or he's being exposed as not as good as many really think. Side note: I've met the kid a few times and he's an upstanding, humble, and just all around good kid. He's one of the one for opposing teams that I would like to see have some success(just not against us)

ouleaf
8/24/2010, 04:32 PM
I think i hate every single one of that guys score picks with the exception of the Air Force game. that one to me seems about right.

sooner59
8/24/2010, 05:36 PM
When Nebraska scores 31 on us with that offense, I'll buy a whorn jersey. That ain't happening.

badger
8/24/2010, 05:39 PM

Word. Consider this - Shermanator is their coach now, not Fran Fran. The last time it was a tough game was when Fran Fran was in charge, not Shermie.

When Shermie's in charge, we score 60+ at Kyle.

Aaaaaaaa... WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP!

Salt City Sooner
8/24/2010, 05:43 PM
If our D is bad enough to give up 31 to NU, we ain't gettin' to the CCG in the first place.

JLEW1818
8/24/2010, 06:18 PM
we won't lose the big 12 championship game.

People act like Nebraska lost nothing on defense.

people assume their secondary will just reload.

BoulderSooner79
8/24/2010, 07:25 PM
No one is going to challenge any of the predicted W's ? You gotta love the August swagger on SF.com :D

budbarrybob
8/24/2010, 07:38 PM
Who knew the article author was a ****** not to mention a crappy prognosticator of gridiron games.

sooner59
8/24/2010, 07:55 PM
No one is going to challenge any of the predicted W's ? You gotta love the August swagger on SF.com :D

No. And I doubt the FSU or Cincy games are as close as what that shows, either. Texas game seems plausible. I doubt the A&M loss. Basically I believe we "should" win every game on the schedule. Whether we do or not is why we watch and why they play the game.

yermom
8/24/2010, 08:06 PM
Texas beats us before A&M does

and we owe Nebraska one, if it comes to that

oudavid1
8/24/2010, 08:26 PM
Seriously, no way neb puts up 30 on us

Maybe 10 field goals