PDA

View Full Version : Something stinks in South Bend......

stoopified
8/24/2010, 01:05 PM
.....and it ain't just stale beer and cabbage.SB is the home of the CFB HOF and oddly enough ND has 42 (player)inductees compared to OU's 18.OU is not alone in being slighted as ND has more players in the HOF than any other team by far.In any case I have compoled a list of Sooners who SHOULD be in the HOF and are not.

Zac Henderson S 2 time All-American
Dewey Selmon DT 2 Time All-American
Tom Catlin C- LB 2 time AA
Ralph Neely OT 2 time AA
Paul(Buddy) Burris OL-LB 3 time AA
Rod Shoate LB -2 time AA
Mike Vaughn OT-2 time AA
Granville Liggins DT-2 time AA
Greg Roberts OG-2 time AA/ Outland winner
Darryl Hunt LB -2 time AA
George Cumby LB - 2 time AA
Rick Bryan DT -2 time AA
Terry Crouch OL - 2 time AA
Roy Williams S AA,Thorpe winner
Jason White 2 time AA,Heisman winner
Brian Bosworth LB -3 time AA,3 time Academic AA,,2 time
Butkus winner

I think everyone knows why Boz isn't in yet and I think he will get in eventually.I have noticed that many multi-year AA's under Switzer are not in and I can't help wondering if the FOOTBALL ESTABLISHMENT bias against Barry has kept some Sooners out.In addition I don't know when Bob's desrving players are eligible for the HOF.

Crucifax Autumn
8/24/2010, 01:06 PM
Rudy brought all his nut hairs along.

47straight
8/24/2010, 03:44 PM
The HOF is moving to Atlanta, so maybe Georgia Tech will get a big bump in inductees.

stoopified
8/25/2010, 02:33 PM
Guess I was alone in wondering why so many deserving sooners are not in the College Football Hall Of Fame,especially considering how many were multi-year All-Americans.

badger
8/25/2010, 02:49 PM
Nah, I agree. There should be so many Sooners in the HOF that there should be a separate Sooner wing :)

texaspokieokie
8/25/2010, 03:07 PM
i'd be surprised if Rod Shoate ever made it; too many off-field problems.

StoopTroup
8/25/2010, 05:35 PM
This isn't really much of a news flash....Folks have suspected that things were amiss for quite awhile.

stoopified
8/26/2010, 03:00 PM
This isn't really much of a news flash....Folks have suspected that things were amiss for quite awhile.All I know is it is an absolute travesty that Paul(Buddy) Burris, a THREE time All-American and Tom Catlin a TWO time All-American who finished playing almost 60 years ago are not honored.

As for Rod Shoate's legal problems.so what they were not only long after his OU career but long after his NFL career.None of which diminishes his greatness as a college player.I read somewhere that Bennie Owen wrote a letter to thF and got early OU stars like Geyer and Reeds inducted,I wonder if letters from Barry and/or Bob would help get more of OUr deserving players in?

I understand why we have only a couple of players in the NFL Hall of Fame BUT OU is an elite top 10 if not top 5 NCAA program and is grossly underepresented.The list I came up with is players I think are worthy of the HOF,I'm sure there are others that I failed to list.

These 16 players would almost double OU's current total of 18.

BTW Badj you are right;OU should have their own wing.

stoopified
8/26/2010, 03:17 PM
This isn't really much of a news flash....Folks have suspected that things were amiss for quite awhile.DDP

starclassic tama
8/26/2010, 04:23 PM
why isn't the boz in? suspected steroid use? also, i didn't know he was a 3-time academic all-american, pretty impressive...

Salt City Sooner
8/26/2010, 06:17 PM
I'm betting that T-shirt didn't exactly increase his chances.

King Barry's Back
8/27/2010, 09:41 AM
Brian Bosworth shot himself in the foot. I think he'd tell you the same thing himself, if anybody could find him. (Reference to an article. If you didn't read it you won't get the joke.)

Not only did he stick his tongue out at everybody who would someday be voting on the Hall, he took steroids -- which can't be overlooked.

Regarding the rest of your list, hard to agree or disagree w/o studying the accomplishments of those who have made the Hall, and some of those who were denied.

It IS pretty fishy that ND has so damn many, though.

KantoSooner
8/27/2010, 10:14 AM
ND sucks and should be eliminated.
South Bend sucks and should be razed to the ground.
Indiana is not on my good list either.
I don't particularly have a warm spot for the upper mid-west/rust belt.
Don't try my patience.

Move the HOF to someplace that plays football (an area described by points east and south of North Platte, Nebraska)and be done with it.

Sabanball
8/27/2010, 10:26 AM
The HOF is moving to Atlanta, so maybe Georgia Tech will get a big bump in inductees.

This^^

Mississippi Sooner
8/27/2010, 10:28 AM
The college football hall of fame has had a very shady and disgraceful history. Two different committees that were formed to raise money for its initial construction raised a lot of money, but never had anything to show for it. It has already been moved once and is slated to be moved again when its current lease runs out at the end of this year. The South Bend location has had far fewer visitors annually than what was originally estimated. (Imagine that, South Bend isn't really a tourist destination)

Maybe it will work out better in Atlanta. It'll certainly be a lot flashier with an infusion of SEC speed.

stoopified
8/27/2010, 12:57 PM
Brian Bosworth shot himself in the foot. I think he'd tell you the same thing himself, if anybody could find him. (Reference to an article. If you didn't read it you won't get the joke.)

Not only did he stick his tongue out at everybody who would someday be voting on the Hall, he took steroids -- which can't be overlooked.

Regarding the rest of your list, hard to agree or disagree w/o studying the accomplishments of those who have made the Hall, and some of those who were denied.

It IS pretty fishy that ND has so damn many, though.The article about Boz that you mentioned has been discussed AND laughed at on this board as Boz has been very noticeable around OU since Stoops arrived.

I grant you his own antics have kept him from the HOF at this point BUT there is no denying that he was one of the most dominant defensive players in the country,all else aside he SHOILD be in.

As for the other players on this list ,they were all among the best in college football during their careers and aswell qualified as ny current members of the HOF.As I stated before Burris and Catlin were great players almost 60 years ago and have been inexplicably snubbed.