PDA

View Full Version : Team leaders in Bench, Squat, 40 time, etc.

Pigface1
8/24/2010, 12:23 PM
http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/archive/01_sooner_football_notebook.html

Stephen Good 480 lb bench. :eek: Demarco with 380 lb bench. . :eek: Hell, Ryan Broyles put up 345.

Quickest RB: Finch with a 4.50

Nelson and Stills tied for the quickest guys on the team, both with 4.40s.

Looking at these insanely high bench numbers, I get excited. Then I look at the relatively slow 40 times across the board, and it's deflating. It seems that year in and year out, Jerry Schmidt see's how big he can get everyone and couldn't care less about game speed. Then the team gets banged up by injuries b/c their muscles and joints are over worked and the team can't keep up with faster squads.

I'm probably wrong, but people have talked about this for several years now.

Either way, I'm excited about this team and I'm looking forward to another 63-14 or 65-13 type beat down at the RRS this year. Can't wait to see Wort and both Lewis LBs out ripping some heads off!!

Crucifax Autumn
8/24/2010, 12:31 PM
Broyles surprises me there. Doesn't look THAT damned strong. Makes me happy in my pants.

Crucifax Autumn
8/24/2010, 12:32 PM
And Finch would never make it in the SEC running like a turtle like that! Theit Linemen are faster than that!

oumartin
8/24/2010, 12:38 PM
Bench press strength is kinda weird. Short armed guys can bench more. I"ve seen buff guys who couldn't bench a sack of potatos.

I was talking to a guy the other day that told me he could bench 375 when he weighed 190 and I almost crapped myself.

TahoeSOONER
8/24/2010, 12:40 PM
I'm not a physical therapist or trainer by any means but I've played sports most my life and football as long as I could. Injuries are a part of the game and typically you bulk them up in the off season and let two a days lean them out. Strength to get them ready for the poundings and run them in practice to get them ready for the long haul.

The Schimdity arguement comes up way to often IMHO because our teams have always been pushed and our coaches understand his worth, time to let it go, the dude has made his mark. I know it's off season but it's time to stop throwing him under the bus every year.

badger
8/24/2010, 12:42 PM
Good benches almost 400 pounds more than I do :O

Crucifax Autumn
8/24/2010, 12:43 PM
My arms are 10 inches long...I bench 700.

sooneron
8/24/2010, 12:44 PM
Meh, the 40 time is the most overrated in all of sports. They should have posted shuttle times. THAT'S what counts in a game, not running in a straight line for 40 yards.

Crucifax Autumn
8/24/2010, 12:53 PM
Yeah...sucks there's no measurable "burst speed"

badger
8/24/2010, 12:57 PM
Meh, the 40 time is the most overrated in all of sports. They should have posted shuttle times. THAT'S what counts in a game, not running in a straight line for 40 yards.

The SEC laughs at our paltry 40 times that start with the number 4!

...at least till the Combine which reveals how inflated their numbers were :D

sooneron
8/24/2010, 12:59 PM
Yeah...sucks there's no measurable "burst speed"

I was thinking about that last night. Why not have a 15 yard? I realize it's about 10 strides, but it would be more indicative of "quicks".

Mississippi Sooner
8/24/2010, 01:00 PM
Reed Rothchild: Whadda ya squat?

Dirk Diggler: Two

Reed: Super, super.

Dirk: You?

Reed: Three.

Dirk: Wow.

Reed: No b.s.

rawlingsHOH
8/24/2010, 01:01 PM
http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/archive/01_sooner_football_notebook.html

Stephen Good 480 lb bench. :eek: Demarco with 380 lb bench. . :eek: Hell, Ryan Broyles put up 345.

Quickest RB: Finch with a 4.50

Nelson and Stills tied for the quickest guys on the team, both with 4.40s.

Looking at these insanely high bench numbers, I get excited. Then I look at the relatively slow 40 times across the board, and it's deflating. It seems that year in and year out, Jerry Schmidt see's how big he can get everyone and couldn't care less about game speed. Then the team gets banged up by injuries b/c their muscles and joints are over worked and the team can't keep up with faster squads.

I'm probably wrong, but people have talked about this for several years now.

Either way, I'm excited about this team and I'm looking forward to another 63-14 or 65-13 type beat down at the RRS this year. Can't wait to see Wort and both Lewis LBs out ripping some heads off!!
That is beyond silly and completely inaccurate.

The entire S&C program, for all OU sports, is movement based, with much more emphasis on quickness and explosion than strength.

PalmBeachSooner
8/24/2010, 01:03 PM

It seems that year in and year out, Jerry Schmidt see's how big he can get everyone and couldn't care less about game speed. Then the team gets banged up by injuries b/c their muscles and joints are over worked and the team can't keep up with faster squads.

Jonathan Nelson added 18 pounds of muscle this off season and it hasn't slowed him down. Maybe these guys weren't that fast to begin with.

I tend to agree about the joint related injuries. I think there is a lot of stress placed on them during the off season.

sooneron
8/24/2010, 01:04 PM
That's what happens when you've been lifting weights and stuff.

Crucifax Autumn
8/24/2010, 01:04 PM
I had more than my share of joint related injuries back in the day.

PalmBeachSooner
8/24/2010, 01:05 PM
I'm not a physical therapist or trainer by any means but I've played sports most my life and football as long as I could. Injuries are a part of the game and typically you bulk them up in the off season and let two a days lean them out. Strength to get them ready for the poundings and run them in practice to get them ready for the long haul.

The Schimdity arguement comes up way to often IMHO because our teams have always been pushed and our coaches understand his worth, time to let it go, the dude has made his mark. I know it's off season but it's time to stop throwing him under the bus every year.

Let's see how the OL holds up this year.

Boomer.....
8/24/2010, 01:06 PM

Agree. Just because you don't have a sub 4.5 40 doesn't mean that you aren't fast. All you have to do is get open.

Crucifax Autumn
8/24/2010, 01:08 PM
I have a sub 4.5 in the sack.

Pigface1
8/24/2010, 01:08 PM

I don't mean to sound like I'm throwing him under the bus and sorry if it came off that way. He's obviously one of the best trainers around, but it does seem that the team has a disproportionate amount of injuries compared to other teams the past several years.

Pigface1
8/24/2010, 01:09 PM

I can see your point. Someone like Randy Moss might take exception to that, though.

Pigface1
8/24/2010, 01:11 PM
I was thinking about that last night. Why not have a 15 yard? I realize it's about 10 strides, but it would be more indicative of "quicks".

Vertical, shuttle, and 40 all together give you a pretty good picture of the explosiveness of a player. What'd AD run, a 4.37 or so and had a 37.5" vertical, IIRC.

Pigface1
8/24/2010, 01:12 PM
This is a response from a buddy who was a big time player at OU and still has ties to the program and players:

"there seems to be quite of few people saying the same thing about our team injuries but I am not sure I buy into it completely. I would say that it would be more than just that..Hard Practices and the way we practice would be more of a reason for many of the injuries.. Along with not allowing the body enough time to recover. which should be the area of focus during the season. Maybe we practice to hard and that puts to much stress on the players bodies and therefore we have the injuries...Just a thot..Talking to some of the players that are freshman now say that summer was very tough but it should be..spring and summer is where players improve the .most physically and season should be more maintenance or maintain the development. As for the 40 times, it would only concerns me if they said these were hand times..but if they were electronic times that's not bad.. besides there are many who can play faster & quicker than their actual times recorded.. we generally have a decently fast team...just may not be a blazing team. The 40 times aren't as big of an issue as the injury issue."

stoopified
8/24/2010, 01:26 PM
The SEC laughs at our paltry 40 times that start with the number 4!

...at least till the Combine which reveals how ideflated their numbers were :DFixed :D

oudavid1
8/24/2010, 01:28 PM
the fact the Ronnell Lewis is almost as fast as James Hanna who is almost as fast as Roy Finich is scary. To bad we cant get hanna to be a threat though.

KantoSooner
8/24/2010, 01:34 PM
I think strength is just fine, but there is no substitute for speed. Look at the 1970's teams who were as dominant as any football teams ever. They did not have overwhelming strength of size. They did have otherworldly speed compared to their opposition.

oudavid1
8/24/2010, 01:40 PM
see: Florida 2008

Mad Dog Madsen
the fact the Ronnell Lewis is almost as fast as James Hanna who is almost as fast as Roy Finich is scary. To bad we cant get hanna to be a threat though.

James Hanna has got some potential. If he works his tail off he may finally breakout this year ya never know though...

OK2U
Execution+technique>speed/strength.

B4 the Boise St. debacle all the media could talk about what how much the Sooner lines outweighed the BSU's. Our size was supposed to win that game.

oudavid1
8/24/2010, 01:42 PM
true^^^^

Pigface1
8/24/2010, 02:02 PM
Execution+technique>speed/strength.

B4 the Boise St. debacle all the media could talk about what how much the Sooner lines outweighed the BSU's. Our size was supposed to win that game.

True. There needs to be a balance. You could be as big as a mountain, but if you can't move your feet, your QB is dead.

I remember Loadholdt dominating some very good DEs and then getting worked by guys half his size at smaller schools.

oudavid1
8/24/2010, 02:04 PM
True. There needs to be a balance. You could be as big as a mountain, but if you can't move your feet, your QB is dead.

I remember Loadholdt dominating some very good DEs and then getting worked by guys half his size at smaller schools.

i also think its something of trust between the boys on the line. But you make an excellent point

texaspokieokie
8/24/2010, 02:16 PM
if the team was being "overtrained", don't you think Stoops would have noticed by now ???

rawlingsHOH
8/24/2010, 02:18 PM

10/20/40

rawlingsHOH
8/24/2010, 02:23 PM

Loadholt had one of his best games against the fastest DE at the combine, the white kid from Cincy.

He had one of his worst games against a wide, slow, 5-technique DE from West Virginia, Johnny Dingle, a 4.92 40 guy.

Jello Biafra
8/24/2010, 03:01 PM

3 rings. end of it.

oudavid1
8/24/2010, 03:10 PM
lol ^^

Pigface1
8/24/2010, 04:40 PM
3 rings. end of it.

Good point. He probably hasn't changed at all over the past 10-15 years.

I do know players have came back and said their first season training in the NFL was a joke compared to what they had in Norman.

Either way, it would be nice to have a healthy season. /