PDA

View Full Version : Boise wants NCAA to mandate home & homes

Mississippi Sooner
8/24/2010, 11:52 AM
I hope this hasn't been posted yet. I just now saw it and thought it was hilarious.

In separate interviews recently, Boise State president Bob Kustra and athletic director Gene Bleymaier said they will ask the NCAA to mandate home-and-home football series.

Seriously. They said that.

In separate interviews with Matt Hayes of the Sporting News and Dennis Dodd of CBSSports.com, Bleymaier was especially outspoken.

"I think we've really dropped the ball as an organization. The NCAA could mandate this at any time," he told Dodd.

And Kustra, who made news earlier this summer for some disparaging remarks about archrival Idaho's fan base, told Dodd this: "There is a fairly compelling case to be made that the Big Ten, Big 12, SEC and Pac-10 over the years have controlled the scheduling. All the large conferences ... There's an overwhelming number of home games for the big guys but no home-and-home. ... We want to propose to the NCAA a mandated home-and-home scheduling arrangement for I-A non-conference football games. Why should Boise State go to Georgia, but more than likely they're not going to return it?"

Well, you certainly have to admire their chutzpah, but their statements lead me to ask this: How dumb are these guys?

The "big guys," as Kustra calls them, are the big guys because of the free-market system. The Alabamas, Floridas, Ohio States, Oklahomas, Penn States and Texases of the world do control the scheduling, and the reason, Bob and Gene, is because of economics.

Asking the NCAA to force schools of that nature to play at Boise State -- and San Jose State and New Mexico State and Eastern Michigan and Kent State and Louisiana-Monroe and Florida International and ... well, you get the idea -- has about as much chance of happening as Utah changing its mind and moving to the WAC instead of the Pac-10.

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1116542

I think it's ridiculous enough when the Sooners have to go play in Tulsa's little stadium every so often.

rawlingsHOH
8/24/2010, 11:55 AM
If Boise wants to be taken seriously as a NC contender they need to play high profile road games. Simple as that.

Their conference is beyond atrocious. They need to play at least 2 big-time BCS road games, in the OOC, to make up for it.

OKLA21FAN
8/24/2010, 11:56 AM
so when is U.C. Davis getting their return home trip? :pop:

pac10SUX
8/24/2010, 11:57 AM
I can't wait to razz my boss about this. He's a :rolleyes: smurf homer!!

badger
8/24/2010, 12:01 PM
I hope this hasn't been posted yet. I just now saw it and thought it was hilarious.

I think it's ridiculous enough when the Sooners have to go play in Tulsa's little stadium every so often.

What you call ridiculous, I call a short drive :D

If Bois Estate is serious about home-and-home forceage, they should just require that the first game be played on smurf turf.

There is absolutely no way we could do home-and-home with some of our non-conference opponents... probably the biggest reason teams don't want to smurf turf vacation is because that stadium holds, like 30k. Ooooo, 30k.

Utah State? Romney Stadium (yes, actually called that) is 25k. Air Force holds 52k, which we've visited before, so that's moot. Florida State's Bobby Bowden Field at Doak etc etc holds 82k.

Maybe their real argument is they want big schools to stop scheduling cupcakes?

pac10SUX
8/24/2010, 12:15 PM
If the NCAA forces home & home scheduling, I don't think boyzee will get to play any big time schools due to $$$. The big schools with big $$$ will play other big schools with big $$$ to keep their revenues up.

Crucifax Autumn
8/24/2010, 12:15 PM
They're just pi$$ed no one wants to be blinded in Boise.

goingoneight
8/24/2010, 12:18 PM

I think it's ridiculous enough when the Sooners have to go play in OSU's little orange stadium every so often.

fify

badger
8/24/2010, 12:24 PM
They're just pi$$ed no one wants to be blinded in Boise.

Nope, just blindsided :D

http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2009/09/05/alg_boise_oregon_punch.jpg

deweydw
8/24/2010, 12:24 PM
Boise wants NCAA to do Holmes on Homes?

http://www.mytvrss.com/photos/80258-2.jpg

oudavid1
8/24/2010, 01:31 PM
alright Boise, come to Norman and win and we'll come to ida-hoe, but we are not bringing ronnell's leash

MiccoMacey
8/24/2010, 01:43 PM
If you build it, they will come.

Make your stadium seat 80k+, have your 'loyal" followers fill out the stadium every week other than the week we play you.

Do this, and big-time programs will want to play you at BSU, blue field or not.

Until then, it makes no financial sense to play in a small stadium when we could play someone else at home, or in a larger stadium.

oudavid1
8/24/2010, 01:44 PM
great point

stoopified
8/24/2010, 01:58 PM
IF Potato Boys State can guarantt ee equal money to USC,OU,UT,FSU, etc,they will get big H&H series,until then NOBODY is interested because it would cost the big boys to play that series.OU and the pther big boys play H&H series to MAKE money.

oudavid1
8/24/2010, 02:00 PM
exactly^^^^ you listening boise?

Landthief 1972
8/24/2010, 02:48 PM
If they force home-and-home, you're going to see 2 things: big schools not scheduling smaller schools; and a lot of small schools dropping football altogether, because those payouts are the only thing keeping their programs afloat. So basically, Boise wants to take a chance at a college education away from some kids. Bravo, Potato Heads.

MeMyself&Me
8/24/2010, 03:42 PM
If the NCAA forces home & home scheduling, I don't think boyzee will get to play any big time schools due to $$$. The big schools with big $$$ will play other big schools with big $$$ to keep their revenues up.

This.

Reminds me of when I was in school, due to the wording of the school handbook on dress code, shorts were not allowed to be above the knee BUT skirts could. A group of boys complained that boys should be allowed to have shorter shorts since girls could wear shorter skirts...

They changed the wording of the rule and then NOBODY got to wear anything above the knee. Bye bye short skirts. :(

Be careful what you wish for Boise.

bent rider
8/24/2010, 04:23 PM
First the NCAA should mandate that football fields are to be some shade of green. Then they can start wondering why no one will come to Boise to play.

Have you seen the atrocity that is Eastern Washington's new turf?

LePetomaine
8/24/2010, 05:07 PM
mmmm; the phrase "anti-trust law" comes to mind. never gonna happen.

Leroy Lizard
8/24/2010, 05:13 PM
So the result would be that no one would want to schedule Boise St. Is that what they want?

Dio
8/24/2010, 05:28 PM
Aww, aren't community colleges cute?

badger
8/24/2010, 05:44 PM
Not only everything that's already been mentioned, but in addition to have a b!tch stadium, Boise also wants to be paid like a b!tch school as far as visiting other team's turf:

Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4642585)

A million bucks to play an away game is usually reserved for a creampuff team. Then again, so are 30k stadiums ;)

EDIT: In the interest of fairness and full disclosure, Bronco Stadium is 33k.

Mississippi Sooner
8/24/2010, 06:05 PM
I'm starting to wonder, just how long has their athletic director been involved with college football?

GKeeper316
8/24/2010, 06:45 PM
if those tiny schools want to have home and homes, then those tiny schools can build 85,000 seat stadiums and guarantee that it'll be worth, say, OU's time to fly out to, say, utah state...

**** boise. they got a top 5 preseason rank and think they're in charge now???

bluedogok
8/24/2010, 10:33 PM
First the NCAA should mandate that football fields are to be some shade of green. Then they can start wondering why no one will come to Boise to play.

Have you seen the atrocity that is Eastern Washington's new turf?
They can play each other in a Red & Blue Turf Series......