PDA

View Full Version : Stoops record not quite as scintillating as Wilkinson/Switzer

Widescreen
8/24/2010, 11:23 AM
http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20100823_92_0_Pstopa178898

Wilkinson’s teams were 145-29-4 from 1947-63. Switzer
compiled a 157-29-4 career record at OU. And in 11 seasons since 1999, Stoops’ teams are 117-29.

They have an equal # of losses but Stoops accumulated them at a much earlier stage in his career. Hard to believe Switzer only lost 29 games in all his time at OU.

OKLA21FAN
8/24/2010, 11:24 AM
scholly limits :gary:

Mississippi Sooner
8/24/2010, 11:24 AM
It'll all equal out when Stoops finishes this 40 game winning streak.

Collier11
8/24/2010, 11:25 AM
Actually Stoops is 117-28, the ncaa says so ;)

BoulderSooner79
8/24/2010, 11:29 AM
Different times, especially for Bud. I'm not taking away what he did as it was the real building block for the program, but the big8 (big7?) was pretty weak back then.

Widescreen
8/24/2010, 11:30 AM
It'll all equal out when Stoops finishes this 40 game winning streak.

And that's amazing. Stoops would have to win 40 in a row to catch Switzer.

Crucifax Autumn
8/24/2010, 11:30 AM
Stoops will be fine on this list after he beats the streak starting this year!

But seriously, the flaw in this is the same flaw so many point out about career rushing/passing/etc. marks these days. If you play more games per season all those numbers add up quicker and so do total losses. Yeah...I know that's not entirely accurate, but still...Stoops also doesn't have the advantage of signing 7000 players a year to keep them from playing elsewhere.

OklahomaTuba
8/24/2010, 11:31 AM
No worries, in a couple of years it will be the Big 8 again.

goingoneight
8/24/2010, 11:31 AM
I think a bit of Switzer and Wilkinson's numbers might be a bit different in today's game. Not to suggest that they wouldn't still be among the best ever, but schooly limits, parity, recruiting rules and technology has vastly changed. That said, I don't see players like Barry Sanders sneaking under the radar with YouTube and fifty recruiting websites in today's game, so they could have even been a bit better. How easy would it be for Switzer to run the bone if the top talent wanted nothing to do with it? Lots of things go into consideration. It's sort of like comparing Sam's freshman year to Landry's. They're both similar, but when the conversation's over, the only thing they really have in common is the crimson and cream.

Widescreen
8/24/2010, 11:32 AM
Stoops will be fine on this list after he beats the streak starting this year!

But seriously, the flaw in this is the same flaw so many point out about career rushing/passing/etc. marks these days. If you play more games per season all those numbers add up quicker and so do total losses. Yeah...I know that's not entirely accurate, but still...Stoops also doesn't have the advantage of signing 7000 players a year to keep them from playing elsewhere.
Total wins should add up faster too, though.

Anyway, I'm not trying to knock Stoops - he's been great. It's just a testament to how unbelievable Switzer and Wilkinson were.

rawlingsHOH
8/24/2010, 11:33 AM
http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20100823_92_0_Pstopa178898

They have an equal # of losses but Stoops accumulated them at a much earlier stage in his career. Hard to believe Switzer only lost 29 games in all his time at OU.

Actually, that leads me to believe Stoops' record is even MORE impressive. Age of parity, Big 12, sholarship reductions, etc.

Stoops has some catching up to do in the NC department, but remember Bud and Barry didn't even have to win bowl games to get a few of theirs. Scary, huh?

BoulderSooner79
8/24/2010, 11:45 AM
Comparing Stoops to his present day peers shows his record is impressive. In fact, if he wins just 1 more game (say, against LSU) and has 2 NCs, he would be at the head of the class.

texaspokieokie
8/24/2010, 11:47 AM
when Bud started, must have been the big 6.

some yrs (with no bowl) they had only 10 games.

Bud did all he could, he was the BEST in his day. couldn't be any better than that.

hung around too long, to pick up losses.. most came late.

Crucifax Autumn
8/24/2010, 12:18 PM
At least now TGOWWDNS is now the game that dosn't exist.

OK2U
8/24/2010, 12:33 PM
I wonder if they'll knock out that Bradford statue as they're working on Stoops', Owens', Switzer's and Wilkinson's.

oumartin
8/24/2010, 12:33 PM
So, we all can agree that Stoops sucks!

:D

Crucifax Autumn
8/24/2010, 12:37 PM
Fire Stoops!

BillyBall
8/24/2010, 01:02 PM

This.

stoopified
8/24/2010, 01:21 PM
Total wins should add up faster too, though.

Anyway, I'm not trying to knock Stoops - he's been great. It's just a testament to how unbelievable Switzer and Wilkinson were.The reason I came up with my signature is because OU has had FOUR great coaches.We are unlike many schools who rest their sucess on 1 or 2 coaches like Penn State,UT,FSU,FU,Nebraska,(and to a large degree)Alabama. As good as Bob has been he is just now in position to move into #3 at OU in wins.

Crucifax Autumn
8/24/2010, 01:23 PM
Well, we ARE Oklahoma. We're better than those other losers.

Sabanball
8/24/2010, 02:21 PM

This^^^^^^^

Pretty amazing when you go back and look at Switzer's numbers in particular. His 32-1-1 start record is nothing short of amazing and, along with Wilkinson's 47 game win streak, are two records that will never be broken.

texaspokieokie
8/24/2010, 02:23 PM
do "scholly limits" apply only to OU ??

SoonerFaninAZ
8/24/2010, 02:34 PM
do "scholly limits" apply only to OU ??

Of course not. And if the comparison were between Stoops and other coaches today, then scholarship limits wouldn't be a very valid excuse.

But since the comparison is between Oklahoma coaches of different eras, it's a perfectly valid reason to account for some of the difference.

texaspokieokie
8/24/2010, 02:36 PM
it's a "cop-out".

they started cutting back when Barry was coach.
slowly.

BoulderSooner79
8/24/2010, 03:21 PM
it's a "cop-out".

they started cutting back when Barry was coach.
slowly.

And Barry's winning percentage went down. slowly.
It's a fact. As stated by others, Bob's record stands up to his peers that are operating in the same environment. If he was 2-2 in title games instead of 1-3, he would have a solid argument to be the top current (or recent, i.e. Carrol) coach.

texaspokieokie
8/24/2010, 03:23 PM
Barry's winning %age went down; but then in mid eighties, it went back up.

soonerborn30
8/24/2010, 03:27 PM
I'm just glad to have a coach that can be mentioned in the same breath as those two.

Imagine doing this comparison in 1997.

BoulderSooner79
8/24/2010, 03:33 PM
And your point? Barry was a great coach and his record showed it. Having a second wave in the mid-80's was tremendous and not many coaches do that. Joe-Pa has fielded some really good teams the last few years (not quite elite) and I have the utmost respect for that. Bob is a great coach relative to his peers too and he certainly looks to be building for another wave. It takes luck to win it all, but I think Bob will manage at least 1 more shot with this 2010 class as a solid foundation.

Widescreen
8/24/2010, 04:10 PM
And your point?

Who was this directed at?

Mississippi Sooner
8/24/2010, 04:15 PM
Barry's winning %age went down; but then in mid eighties, it went back up.

A lot of people forget how many were calling for Barry's head back in the early 80s when we had those back to back to back four game loss seasons. I remember Eschbach's call in show (on whatever the talk radio station was at the time) got really ridiculous as the '83 season progressed.

Of course, all that got turned around, starting in '84.

kelloggOUballa
8/24/2010, 04:52 PM
forget 40, 48-game win streak here we come!!!!

BoulderSooner79
8/24/2010, 07:43 PM
And your point?

Who was this directed at?

Random spewage to anyone that will read it (i.e. no one). I just don't think taking the rules of the day into account is a "cop-out". In particular, the 85 scholly limit, but there are certainly other significant differences as well. Comparing Stoop's or any other coach's absolute record in the last decade to Switzer's record doesn't yield much info. I guess it's good conversation over a brew. I can't imagine any current coach coming in and doing better than Stoops at OU. I'm sure it could happen, but I wouldn't know how to go about finding that magical person.

Jason White's Third Knee
8/24/2010, 07:58 PM
We need a coach that has more scintillization. This is an outrage. Stoops needs to go 19 and negative 4 to keep his job this year.

BoulderSooner79
8/24/2010, 10:27 PM
We need a coach that has more scintillization. This is an outrage. Stoops needs to go 19 and negative 4 to keep his job this year.

Dam straight. Scintillization is way better than swagger.

Tigeman
8/24/2010, 10:36 PM
Dam straight. Scintillization is way better than swagger.

Turn my scintillation on
It's my time to turn it up, yeah, yeah
I put my team on, did my theme song
Now it's time to turn it up, yeah, yeah

I got a question why they hatin' on me
I got a question why they hatin' on me
I ain't did nothing to 'em but count these championships

Eh, it works!

texaspokieokie
8/26/2010, 08:38 AM
something i don't understand;excuse my dumbness

with limit of 85, last yrs team (taken from a game program)
lists a little over one hundred.

soonerborn30
8/26/2010, 01:16 PM
something i don't understand;excuse my dumbness

with limit of 85, last yrs team (taken from a game program)
lists a little over one hundred.

The rest are non-scholarship? That's my guess.

Scott D
8/26/2010, 03:26 PM
fewer scholarships isn't the only side point to make, the decreased amount of practice time can come into play in this discussion as well.

Sooner04
8/26/2010, 03:34 PM
Hard to believe Switzer only lost 29 games in all his time at OU.
Well, they don't call him "The King" for nothing.

soonerhubs
8/26/2010, 03:50 PM
Here's an interesting take on how fickle some football fanbases are. (So far this hasn't happened at OU. Castiglione seems to have a more patient take on things.) (http://reddirtchronicles.com/2010/08/26/stoops-on-the-hotseat-no-doubt-about-it/)

I didn't want to start another thread b/c it seems to fit here. :D

stoops the eternal pimp
8/26/2010, 03:55 PM
Comparing players/coaches/teams from different eras in any sport is pretty much impossible to do..While its fun, and I've attempted it as well, the thoughts and theories are typically skewed by a lot of different things..Sports change so rapidly in terms of rules, amounts of games played, etc that its fun for banter, but not something to be taken serious

GKeeper316
8/26/2010, 03:56 PM
wilkinson was like bear bryant. they'd both recruit players they had no intention of playing, just to keep from having to play against them.

wilkinson's 3rd string could have started anywhere else in the country.

tfoolry
8/26/2010, 04:02 PM
I heard Stoops is going to coach at Michigan next year after RR is fired as he can't live up to Bud & Barry.