PDA

View Full Version : Breaking Down The Depth Chart with Jake Trotter

oudavid1
8/23/2010, 07:37 PM
http://blog.newsok.com/ou/2010/08/23/breaking-down-ous-latest-depth-chart/?custom_click=lead_story_title

Breaking down OU’s latest depth chart
Posted by Jake Trotter
on August 23, 2010M at 2:30 pm

Monday morning, OU released its latest two-deep depth chart, which featured a few surprising developments. A lot can change between now and the Sooners’ Sept. 4 opener against Utah State. But this serves as a good indicator of how certain players are performing behind closed doors.

Some observations:
1. The absence of Dejuan Miller and Jaz Reynolds in the starting lineup (Reynolds, the whole two-deep altogether). These two wideouts were supposed to be the future of the corps, considering how they closed so well last season. But neither is off to the camp the Sooners were hoping for. Miller has been good at times, but then disappears. Reynolds is no longer the only burner of the group, and will have to show more than speed to be a significant part of the rotation.
2. The emergence of Cameron Kenney and Joe Powell in the two-deep (Kenney, the starting lineup). We all wrote Kenney off after he fell out of the rotation late last season (coupled with the rise of Miller, Reynolds). But credit Kenney for hanging in there. The senior is having a solid camp, and if he can eliminate the drops that caused him to lose his starting spot last year, Kenney could be a bigger part of the offense than anyone could have imagined.
Powell has shown great speed, and is basically pressing for the role Reynolds held last year. Powell is only 162 pounds, but he has shown the fortitude to go up and get the ball downfield.
3. Clearly, the coaches weren’t blowing smoke about fullback/tight end Trey Millard. The freshman out of Columbia, Mo., has supplanted Marshall Musil as the starting fullback. I think both will play, but for a true freshman to be penciled in as a starter after being on campus for less than 3 months is saying a lot.
4. R.J. Washington is back from the abyss. We haven’t heard much lately about Washington, who was the No. 1 overall recruit for the class of 2008. But the fact he’s emerged in the two-deep is a positive sign the light may be beginning to flicker.
5. Jaydan Bird will be an important backup as Austin Box heals from a bum back. Bird may be listed as the backup behind Tom Wort in the middle, but I suspect should something happen to Travis Lewis, Bird would move back to the weakside, where he practiced until Box’s injury. Corey Nelson is a rising star, but linebackers usually don’t play as freshmen in Brent Venables’ complex system.
6. Talk about an influx of youth. Seven true freshmen (Joe Powell, Kenny Stills, Bronson Irwin, Trey Millard, Corey Nelson, Aaron Colvin, Tony Jefferson) in the two-deep. Contrast that with only 10 seniors (Brian Lepak, Eric Mensik, Cam Kenney, Brandon Caleb, DeMarco Murray, Mossis Madu, Adrian Taylor, Jeremy Beal, Jonathan Nelson, Quinton Carter). I doubt there’s ever been that many true freshmen on a two-deep heading into the opener since Bob Stoops has been at OU.

-JT
Buzz up!

Categorized under:
sports

If you enjoyed this post, please consider to leave a comment or subscribe to the feed and get future articles delivered to your feed reader.
Comments
Comment by bury_switzer on August 23, 2010 @ 4:47 pm

The release of the depth chart should scare the heck outa sooner fans. Many of the key pieces that were mentioned by those in the know are listed as second teamers or not mentioned. It’s going to be a long season for ou on D and l jones hasn’t looked good in the scrimmages.
Comment by David in Alabackwards on August 23, 2010 @ 5:27 pm

Dear bury: I used to watch Coach Switzer’s practices from time to time pre-season and they didn’t look so hot either. But at season end, they had a dang good record.

This will be a very good year for the Sooners, maybe even special.
Comment by gmd4442 on August 23, 2010 @ 7:18 pm

Bury_Switzer: I thought your name might suggest you are a moron but your comments cemented it.

stoopified
8/23/2010, 08:44 PM
Madu still listed as #2 at TB is a surprise to me.

oudavid1
8/23/2010, 10:01 PM

See my other thread, coaches really high on mossis

Okie35
8/23/2010, 10:16 PM

I'm actually kind of glad he is. I think he's better when they make him a wide out though.

oudavid1
8/23/2010, 10:21 PM
I think he's better when they make him a wide out though.

i agree with you

goingoneight
8/23/2010, 11:51 PM
Madu has been receiving praise his whole career. He's either not figured into the gameplan or just doesn't step up on the big stage. For a guy who's never been injured, that's the only explanation. I think the whole "we'll try him at WR" last fall was a way to *try* to get him on the field with Murray/Brown/Calhoun showing him up. Again, Manny Johnson surprised me his senior year, as did Quentin Chaney. Hopefully Kenney and Madu finally end up being big playmakers.

oudavid1
8/24/2010, 01:46 AM
No more DUIs would be nice as well