PDA

View Full Version : New Depth Chart surprises...Millard and Kenney starters, Miller is not.

adoniijahsooner
8/23/2010, 03:37 PM
Also McFarland not listed as a starter....

http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/football-depth-chart.html

badger
8/23/2010, 03:46 PM
Um... Cameron Kenney is our backup punter?

I wanna see him Nate Hybl the ball at least ONCE this season. Boingg!

stoops the eternal pimp
8/23/2010, 04:03 PM
Kenney competed for the job last year and almost won it

budbarrybob
8/23/2010, 04:08 PM
Kenney competed for the job last year and almost won it

Which seems sorta sad. IIRC it was Kenney who had more passes clunk off his hands than anyone else.... but then I'm old so take it for what it's worth.

NormanPride
8/23/2010, 04:08 PM
McFarland isn't a starter, and hasn't been all year. He's good but not great so far. But he's solid enough to have played last year! No worries.

Millard will be a huge deal this year. Look for Stoops to talk him up like he did Eldridge. And I have no idea why Kenney is a starter...

stoops the eternal pimp
8/23/2010, 04:10 PM
No the kid is a pretty darn good punter..averaged 47 yards per punt and made 8-9 FG's including a 52 yarder

badger
8/23/2010, 04:11 PM
Why is Kenney starting? Well, I'll SHOW you why! While all of us have been off-season conditioning our posting skills by talking up conference reallignment, speculatiing on Stoops' coaching future and how badly we'll kill Texas this year, Kenney has been off-season conditioning a little too!

http://www.gumball.com/images/products/display/sticky-hands.jpg

Ha ha ha! Try and say that he'll drop the ball now that he has STICKY HANDS! Go on, TRY IT!

STICKY HANDS!

:pop:

Soon, they'll rename them KENNEY HANDS because of how he NEVER drops the ball!

ouleaf
8/23/2010, 04:17 PM
No the kid is a pretty darn good punter..averaged 47 yards per punt and made 8-9 FG's including a 52 yarder

Kid was a big into soccer through most of HS if I remember correctly, so makes sense that kicking would be natural for him. I think he only played HS football his senior year and played pretty much everywhere (Kicker, Punter, WR, DB, KR, PR)

Went to Juco and continued the same. Guy is just a great all around athlete.

KantoSooner
8/23/2010, 04:53 PM
No Jermie Calhoun?
and Corey Nelson?

those are the only real surprises for me.

Cameron Kenney is a very good kicker.

NormanPride
8/23/2010, 04:56 PM
Yeah, some of this is motivation I'm sure. I'm surprised as well to see Mossis as the #2. He's shown next to nothing so far.

As for Corey Nelson, Travis has said himself that Corey is better than he was as a sophomore. Which was... last year.

KantoSooner
8/23/2010, 05:00 PM
I like 'em both, don't misunderstand; just surprised to see them in those positiions.
I sincerely hope that Nelson is that good and that Calhoun pulls it together.

silverwheels
8/23/2010, 06:08 PM
I'll worry about the depth chart at 6 pm on September 4th. Even then, the one on SoonerSports may not be accurate.

ratherthanlater
8/23/2010, 06:54 PM
I'm the first to admit I don't know $#!t but at 275 lbs isn't Stacey McGee a little small to be starting as a DT? Not that at 6'4" 275 makes him a bitch or anything, I'm just used to ~300 pounders.

oudavid1
8/23/2010, 07:02 PM
I'll worry about the depth chart at 6 pm on September 4th. Even then, the one on SoonerSports may not be accurate.

I dont doubt you one bit

yankee
8/23/2010, 07:53 PM
Yeah, some of this is motivation I'm sure. I'm surprised as well to see Mossis as the #2. He's shown next to nothing so far.

he had a pretty solid season as a backup in '08 didn't he?

stoops the eternal pimp
8/23/2010, 07:55 PM
I'm the first to admit I don't know $#!t but at 275 lbs isn't Stacey McGee a little small to be starting as a DT? Not that at 6'4" 275 makes him a bitch or anything, I'm just used to ~300 pounders.

probably will go back to the way they used to do it with heavy rotation at the DT...last year was about the only time I've ever seen the DT's actually have a lot of snaps..

JLEW1818
8/23/2010, 07:57 PM
I'd like to see how many snaps Gerald got last year... seemed like he was always in.

Collier11
8/23/2010, 08:03 PM
Murdock was talking today about some of this, here is what he said

Dejuan- They are trying to motivate him as he has had an inconsistent camp

Kenney- Worked his butt off and had a great camp so far

Millard- A beast, he is a legit starter

McFarland- Easily most talented guy on Dline but they are looking for more consistency

Calhoun- Been up n down as well

stoops the eternal pimp
8/23/2010, 08:06 PM
I'd like to see how many snaps Gerald got last year... seemed like he was always in.

70-80 range I think....in contrast, Tommie Harris played aroud 30-35 snaps a game

goingoneight
8/23/2010, 08:11 PM
No Calhoun is not exactly a surprise. It's a shock to me personally that Miller and Reynolds aren't starting. No offense to Kenney, but I'm concerned about the WR corps now. But to be positive, I was concerned about Manuel Johnson and Quentin Chaney filling the void for Malcom Kelly, and those two did great. Stone hands ain't saomething that just magically gets fixed though. Improved, yes... but the dropsies will happen at the worst possible times (see: 2009 BCS Championship Game).

JLEW1818
8/23/2010, 08:14 PM
Kenny Stills = Mark Clayton Fr. year?

Collier11
8/23/2010, 08:30 PM
If he can have 500 yds as a Fresh and be consistent ill be happy.

goingoneight
8/23/2010, 08:30 PM
Stills is a tall, "lanky" dood. Clayton is more of the Broyles-type.

JLEW1818
8/23/2010, 08:31 PM
idk... i still remember Clayton being way more rip than either?

htownsooner7
8/23/2010, 08:45 PM
Kenney was terrible last year and that fumble against Texas looked like he was choking on the big stage. If he's one of our best 3, we have big problems. Don't care how good his offseason has been.

yankee
8/23/2010, 08:48 PM
Kenney was terrible last year and that fumble against Texas looked like he was choking on the big stage. If he's one of our best 3, we have big problems. Don't care how good his offseason has been.

if we get the kenney from last year, we might have problems. all signs are indicating this isn't the same guy. but we'll find out soon enough.

Seamus
8/23/2010, 08:56 PM

You're right. No one can improve. Ever.

:rolleyes:

Jason White's Third Knee
8/23/2010, 08:59 PM
You're right. No one can improve. Ever.

:rolleyes:

Heh.

Soonermagik
8/23/2010, 09:09 PM
I had no clue Kenney and Jonathan Nelson were seniors. For some reason I thought they were both Juniors. We have more experience than I thought.

Soonermagik
8/23/2010, 09:11 PM
if we get the kenney from last year, we might have problems. all signs are indicating this isn't the same guy. but we'll find out soon enough.

I hope so. If he starts dropping a bunch of balls I think we will see Miller more. We always have the option of sliding Murray into the slot and using more of the younger backs.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/23/2010, 09:14 PM
idk... i still remember Clayton being way more rip than either?

Clayton was skinny and slow as a frosh

badger
8/23/2010, 09:15 PM
I had no clue Kenney and Jonathan Nelson were seniors. For some reason I thought they were both Juniors. We have more experience than I thought.

Kenney was a juco transfer, so he might have only had two years of eligibility left after that, one being last year, the other being... NOW!

adoniijahsooner
8/23/2010, 09:26 PM
Improvement is the result of hard work. If you read his article, he talks about how he hated to go home, because people would ask what happened. Those bad memories probably gave him drive all off season, while Miller and Reynolds figured they had things locked down. Stoops will always reward those who EARN IT in practice. Last year I thought DM should play because of talent, but not anymore. I trust those who sweat, struggle, and fight because they want it more than the other guy. Kenney wants it!!

Okie35
8/23/2010, 09:28 PM
Which seems sorta sad. IIRC it was Kenney who had more passes clunk off his hands than anyone else.... but then I'm old so take it for what it's worth.

Yea but he didn't against Miami. He's just not that consistent so I understand where you're coming from.

oudavid1
8/23/2010, 09:49 PM
Coaches say on regards to Kenny, "its night and day from last year" Same thing with Landry.

Okie35
8/23/2010, 09:54 PM
Coaches say on regards to Kenny, "its night and day from last year" Same thing with Landry.

Oh Cam Ken always looked good at times but just dropped a few last year. I'm sure he got better.

Boomer38Sooner
8/23/2010, 09:58 PM
What the hell happened to Corey Brandon?!

oudavid1
8/23/2010, 09:59 PM
I'm sure he got better.

check this out, http://blog.newsok.com/ou/2010/08/16/wr-cameron-kenney-hoping-to-stick-in-rotation/

“Last year was just a learning experience. I just wasn’t having fun. I was way too nervous,” Kenney said. “I really have wiped the slate clean. There were a lot of negative plays last year, but you have to learn from that. You have to fix the mental mistakes and fix the plays that you didn’t do so well on. I really feel more comfortable now being thrown into the mix. This year, I’m a lot happier out there. I’m having fun.”

Okie35
8/23/2010, 10:18 PM
check this out, http://blog.newsok.com/ou/2010/08/16/wr-cameron-kenney-hoping-to-stick-in-rotation/

Good stuff. I'd be nervous too coming out of a JUCO(even though Jayhawk conference is the best, well it was when I played) into a MAJOR D1 school. I can't emphasize on the major enough.

oudavid1
8/23/2010, 10:22 PM
yeah, i wish him the best. I trust the coaches when it comes to this kid. he also looked GREAT in the spring.

Ruf/Nek7
8/23/2010, 10:55 PM
This can not be the final depth chart. I was completely unaware we beefed Gabe Ikard up to move to the Guard position. Anyone else?

OU-HSV
8/23/2010, 11:28 PM

Yeah here's a quote that I posted last year about Kenney...

At Garden City CC
First team All-Jayhawk Conference in 2008 ... named 2007 All-Jayhawk Conference as a receiver, returner and punter ... 2007 Jayhawk Conference special teams player of the year ... had 40 catches for 580 yards (14.5 avg.) and five touchdowns ... also rushed the ball 12 times for 55 yards, threw an 18-yard touchdown pass, converted 11-of-13 extra point attempts, made 8-of-9 field goal opportunities (three longest were 40, 41, and 52) and punted for a 47 yard average ... 46 passes for 633 yards and three touchdowns in 2007 ... clocked at 4.48 in the 40 ... only played one year of varsity football in high school.

Collier11
8/24/2010, 12:44 AM
But guys, you know that these fans come rollin in right before the season and spouting off just like they do during the season about stuff they have no clue about, its the American Sports Fan Way :D

sooner59
8/24/2010, 01:12 AM
There are two ways to look at the amount of underclassmen on this depth chart....given that many of them are ahead of older, more established players. Some may say its a sign of trouble. I don't. Personally, I am salivating at amount of talent we will put on the field for the next few years (including this one).

oudavid1
8/24/2010, 01:44 AM
I think our team is moving in a good direction if thats what you mean

IronHorseSooner
8/24/2010, 08:03 AM
First, about DT, McGee stated about a week ago that he's about 285, and has a goal to get to 300 soon. Therefore, I think he's more of a true DT now vice a combo guy. I believe this chart will be about who would start the first game, and thus, McGee would start since Taylor is still getting back to 100%. As for J-Mac and Walker, I believe it is motivation. Remember, last year, GK said that all three of these guys were ready, and that the DT position was in good hands.

Last year, I think Kenney just tried to rely on his athletic ability instead of learning the nuances of the WR position. He has good size, speed, and athletic ability, he just needed more time to learn the position. He was a soccer player the majority of his athletic career, and made a change his senior year. Of course, he would need more time to learn the position.

Millard is going to be an absolute beast, and is true triple-threat guy...blocking, running, and catching. He was a guy who I was looking forward to seeing out there this year, and now it looks like we will.

Unfortunately, I don't know if Cory Brandon will ever crawl out of the doghouse. He has a converted TE and a RS-FR ahead of him. I thought he would be the starter over there, but I guess not.

Finally, I am a bit puzzled with them still listing Broyles as a KR, when the Coaches have said that they don't want to risk him back there.

Okie35
8/24/2010, 08:39 AM
First, about DT, McGee stated about a week ago that he's about 285, and has a goal to get to 300 soon. Therefore, I think he's more of a true DT now vice a combo guy. I believe this chart will be about who would start the first game, and thus, McGee would start since Taylor is still getting back to 100%. As for J-Mac and Walker, I believe it is motivation. Remember, last year, GK said that all three of these guys were ready, and that the DT position was in good hands.

Last year, I think Kenney just tried to rely on his athletic ability instead of learning the nuances of the WR position. He has good size, speed, and athletic ability, he just needed more time to learn the position. He was a soccer player the majority of his athletic career, and made a change his senior year. Of course, he would need more time to learn the position.

Millard is going to be an absolute beast, and is true triple-threat guy...blocking, running, and catching. He was a guy who I was looking forward to seeing out there this year, and now it looks like we will.

Unfortunately, I don't know if Cory Brandon will ever crawl out of the doghouse. He has a converted TE and a RS-FR ahead of him. I thought he would be the starter over there, but I guess not.

Finally, I am a bit puzzled with them still listing Broyles as a KR, when the Coaches have said that they don't want to risk him back there.

True, Stoops said Broyles would only be at PR.

OUmillenium
8/24/2010, 08:43 AM

Yep, and the pass that bounced off the front of the helmet in the endzone was a huge missed opportunity.

gaylordfan1
8/24/2010, 08:57 AM
I think this is all a motivational tactic. To get the ones that thought they already had their starting jobs handed to them at the beginning of spring ball to realize they can be easily passed/replaced.

I was surprised to see C. Kenney with the starting position. But, I do believe the coaches have the better judgment than I do. So, I will take their word for it. I did read the article of Kenney talking about how he wasn't comfortable with the offense.... apparently he just couldn't grasp it. I am one who thinks that a strong motivation to get better along with the embarrassment of last years performance is enough to excel. And, just because Kenney has the starting job on paper doesn't mean Miller won't get his chance to redeem himself. He will get plenty of opportunities to showcase himself. I am really excited to see Stills on the field. For him to be this hyped and to gain and maintain his starting position is nothing more than amazing. You have got to be big time to come into OU as a frosh and make the kind of strides as he has.

I don't really know what to think about Mcfarland not getting the nod. I have only heard good things about him. Maybe this is more about how well the others guys have played to pass him.

BoulderSooner79
8/24/2010, 09:00 AM

That's just silly. Good thing the coaches put stock in the off-season and practice performance.

Bourbon St Sooner
8/24/2010, 09:59 AM
Why is Kenney starting? Well, I'll SHOW you why! While all of us have been off-season conditioning our posting skills by talking up conference reallignment, speculatiing on Stoops' coaching future and how badly we'll kill Texas this year, Kenney has been off-season conditioning a little too!

http://www.gumball.com/images/products/display/sticky-hands.jpg

Ha ha ha! Try and say that he'll drop the ball now that he has STICKY HANDS! Go on, TRY IT!

STICKY HANDS!

:pop:

Soon, they'll rename them KENNEY HANDS because of how he NEVER drops the ball!

As soon as you bring back the Kenney avatar, his hands will go from sticky to bricky in a heartbeat:)

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
8/24/2010, 11:54 AM
on kenney - jucos tend to be much, much better their senior year than their junior year. i thought his biggest issue last year was conditioning and nerves. he'd start off the game faster than anyone else and then fall off after 10 snaps. he also had a bad case of letting the ball get over his helmet instead of adjusting to make the ball catchable.

all that being said, i'm sure this is a reward for hard work and i'll be surprised if he's a starter by game 3.

step, clayton wasn't slow his freshman year - he had a knee injury in preseason camp and then reinjured it later in the season. the only game he was near 100% (texas) he ripped them a new one.

i'm not as worried about DT this year, as our linebacker talent is finally back up to snuff. hopefully, we are going back to the DTs being more contain instead of aggressive, but we'll have to see.

OK2U
8/24/2010, 12:03 PM
One year ago we all thought Kenney would be a star. Let's give him another shot at getting the mental side of the game down. Physically, he's right where he should be.

goingoneight
8/24/2010, 12:14 PM
Let's just say I hope CK is "night and day" different, because last year he was out-performed big time by Dejuan. But then again, Cory Brandon was one of our best linemen last year, too. Things have obviously changed there.

Crucifax Autumn
8/24/2010, 12:14 PM
Make the plays. If not, the next guy gets a chance to make the plays while you sit your a$$down and cry. Simple.

Let me know where to send my resume for coaching positions.

oudavid1
8/24/2010, 01:20 PM
what he said

Collier11
8/24/2010, 01:28 PM
NO HOMO

oudavid1
8/24/2010, 01:31 PM
NO HOMO

in this case, slight homo

stoops the eternal pimp
8/24/2010, 03:35 PM
step, clayton wasn't slow his freshman year - he had a knee injury in preseason camp and then reinjured it later in the season. the only game he was near 100% (texas) he ripped them a new one.

hmm..seems he said himself he was around a 4.7 guy at that point and he had 6 catches for about 60 or 70 yards against ut that year...a good game for him early on

MikeInNorman
8/24/2010, 04:49 PM
If Kenney stone-hands anything the first game, he'll be out of there faster than you can say Adron Tennell.

JLEW1818
8/24/2010, 06:25 PM
Clayton was skinny and slow as a frosh

i mean comparing him to Broyles now... RS JR vs RS JR

Clayton seemed to be bigger/stronger....

dunno tho .. just memory

NormanPride
8/24/2010, 06:49 PM
Broyles is the strongest WR we have.

JLEW1818
8/24/2010, 06:54 PM
http://i34.tinypic.com/j76fpx.jpg

No way Broyles is that rip

NormanPride
8/24/2010, 07:08 PM
2003 Mark Clayton RS-Jr 5-11 187
2010 Ryan Broyles RS-Jr 5-11 183

It's not hard to imagine, my friend.

JLEW1818
8/24/2010, 07:14 PM
You can still weigh the same as somebody else, and be more muscular.

not even close

http://i37.tinypic.com/2zivsyu.jpg

http://i37.tinypic.com/2a9xu0y.jpg

NormanPride
8/24/2010, 07:35 PM
You're comparing Clayton as a senior to Ryan as a Sophomore. And none of this changes the fact that Broyles is STILL the strongest WR we have.

And actually that second pic was when Ryan was a RS-FR. :rolleyes:

rawlingsHOH
8/24/2010, 08:05 PM
i mean comparing him to Broyles now... RS JR vs RS JR

Clayton seemed to be bigger/stronger....

dunno tho .. just memory

clayton came in tiny, left pretty thick.

he's not as big now as he was in 2004.

rawlingsHOH
8/24/2010, 08:07 PM
Broyles is way stronger than Clayton is/was.

Post all the pictures you want, but the size of a person's biceps (uniform muscles lol) has little to do with bench/squart/clean.

oudavid1
8/24/2010, 08:25 PM
Either way its about production

JLEW1818
8/24/2010, 08:26 PM
Didn't say anything about Broyles not being the strongest WR we have.

I just think that their muscular builds are not as similar as everyone seems to make them to be.

oudavid1
8/24/2010, 08:28 PM
im 140, im pretty beastly

JLEW1818
8/24/2010, 08:33 PM
I'm sure Broyles will end up being the fastest of the 2, after he graduates..

and maybe i can only picture Clayton as a senior?? idk!!! i can still seem him running wild against the horns tho.

That Cat was 5-0 against texas... if u add his RS year into the equation... damn that must have been a nice feeling.

goingoneight
8/24/2010, 09:20 PM
They stood right next do eachother during spring ball when Sammy was working out for the scouts and looks identical in build.

Collier11
8/24/2010, 09:46 PM
Jlew is drunk, lol

JLEW1818
8/24/2010, 09:55 PM
I just can't agree with it...

I'm the 0.2374% that does not agree with the comparison i guess...

I mean maybe b/c i was only like 13 when Clayton was dominating, and i thought he seemed bigger at the time? and me and Ryan are closer in age?

honestly, build wise..... Juaquin Iglesias looks more like Mark Clayton than Broyles does......

and yes i know they both wore the same number :D

BoulderSooner79
8/24/2010, 10:24 PM
Jlew is drunk, lol

There is no information in that statement.

Collier11
8/24/2010, 11:17 PM
you mean no new information ;)

yankee
8/24/2010, 11:59 PM
jlew, you need to get rid of your hard on for clayton. really, you're arguing muscle build?? :P

Collier11
8/25/2010, 12:16 AM
In all fairness, Jlew always has a hard on

yankee
8/25/2010, 12:35 AM
In all fairness, Jlew always has a hard on

even when he's drunk? now that's impressive. *best oudavid impression* NO HOMO!!!11:D :D :D

Collier11
8/25/2010, 12:50 AM
Dave is cool, he is just easily excitable, no biggie

oudavid1
8/25/2010, 01:56 AM
Seriously guys :D nothing to worry about. My girlfriend is to hot for me to be gay, just ask colly

Crucifax Autumn
8/25/2010, 03:19 AM
Ever heard of a fag hag?