PDA

View Full Version : Good Morning...Banned from baseball

Okla-homey
8/23/2010, 07:21 AM
Aug 23, 1989: Pete Rose gets booted from baseball

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab7/Okla-homey/pete-rose-our-kitchen-sink.jpg

On this day in 1989, as punishment for betting on baseball, Cincinnati Reds manager Pete Rose accepts a settlement that includes a lifetime ban from the game. A heated debate continues to rage as to whether Rose, a former player who remains the game’s all-time hits leader, should be given a second chance.

Although gambling on a sport you play or coach is now considered unacceptable in nearly all levels of sport, it was relatively common among those connected with baseball in the early 20th century. Some of baseball’s most talented and well-known players, such as "Turkey" Mike Donlin and Hal Chase, as well as manager John McGraw, who publicly won $400 dollars when his New York Giants won the World Series in 1905, were often suspected of gambling on their own games. Chase was considered a dangerous man to have on a team because of his willingness to make extra money by dropping fly balls or misplaying first base.

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab7/Okla-homey/pete20rose20courtesy20web.jpg

This all changed, however, after the White Sox purposefully lost the World Series in 1919 for a payoff from gambler Arnold Rothstein. Outraged, a group of baseball’s faithful--including American League Commissioner Ban Johnson, former player and manager Christy Matthewson and White Sox owner Charles Comiskey, among others--made it a priority to clean up the game and repair its reputation. Kenesaw Mountain Landis, a former federal judge, was hired as Major League Baseball’s first commissioner to crack down on corruption.

One of Landis’ first moves was to ban eight White Sox players found to be involved in the World Series betting scandal from the game for life, including Chase and "Shoeless" Joe Jackson, one of the greatest players in baseball history. Major League Baseball Rule 21(d) now states that a player faces a ban of one year for betting on any baseball game, and a lifetime ban for betting on his own team. In addition, signs posted prominently in every clubhouse remind players that gambling is not permitted.

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab7/Okla-homey/peterosetimecover.jpg

It was known in baseball circles since the 1970s that Pete Rose had a gambling problem. Although at first he bet only on horse races and football games, allegations surfaced in early 1989 that Rose was not only betting on baseball, but on his own team. Major League Baseball Commissioner A. Bartlett Giamatti* began an inquiry, and hired Washington lawyer John Dowd to head the investigation. Dowd compiled hundreds of hours of testimony from numerous sources that detailed Rose’s history of gambling on baseball while serving as the manager of the Cincinnati Reds, including betting on his own team.

Although Rose continued to proclaim his innocence, he was eventually persuaded to accept a settlement that included a lifetime ban from the game. At a subsequent press conference, Giamatti characterized Rose’s acceptance of the ban as a no-contest plea to the charges against him.

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab7/Okla-homey/pete-rose-baseball.jpg

In 2004, after years of repeated denials, Rose published My Prison Without Bars, in which he finally confessed to gambling on the Reds, though he added that had always bet on the Reds to win. Because of the lifetime ban, Rose cannot work in Major League Baseball and, despite his stellar playing career, he is not eligible for the Hall of Fame.

* Incidentally, Giamatti's son Paul Giametti is a televison and screen actor of some note.

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab7/Okla-homey/Stephen_Dillane_Paul_Gia_48e388337cac7.jpg
Giamatti (center) portraying John Adams

SicEmBaylor
8/23/2010, 02:48 PM
My dad had lunch with Pete Rose when he was doing his surgical internship in Florida. He said he was something of an *******.

stoopified
8/23/2010, 02:52 PM
Pete Rose not being in the HOF is TOTAL BS.I don't even like Pete,I alaways thought he was a p.rick BUT he IS one of the greatest players ever.He bet on his team and lied about it,so what ?HOF is about what you do on the diamond,it IS NOT about character.If character is required then Ty Cobb needs to be removed,Babe Ruth and numerous others for being racists,drunks,thugs,etc.

OhU1
8/23/2010, 02:58 PM
Does anyone lie less convincingly than a baseball player? McGwire, Clemmons, Bonds, Sosa, Pete Rose, A-Roid?

When there is no room left to hide the lies then the “apologies” laced with multiple excuses come out.

texaspokieokie
8/23/2010, 03:00 PM
i've got to where i don't care.

he brought it all upon himself, then for many years, lied about it.

picasso
8/23/2010, 03:04 PM
http://siliconangle.com/travisrodgersnow/files/2009/11/pete-rose-jockey1.jpg
Howzit votes a big YES.

SicEmBaylor
8/23/2010, 03:08 PM
I have less a problem with the gambling than the steroid use. If a player gets into the HOF that at one time used steroids then Pete Rose ought to be admitted as well.

texaspokieokie
8/23/2010, 03:21 PM
for all those hits, he hit .303; with not much power.

not that good of a fielder or base runner. (pertaining to stolen bases)

he was as big as some guys that had lots of power.

hustled a lot, sometimes when it didn't matter. like running to first on a walk.

after saying all that, he does deserve HOF; just for all those hits.

SoonerStormchaser
8/23/2010, 03:22 PM
Does anyone lie less convincingly than a baseball player? McGwire, Clemmons, Bonds, Sosa, Pete Rose, A-Roid?

When there is no room left to hide the lies then the “apologies” laced with multiple excuses come out.

You forgot this guy:
http://images.dailyradar.com/media/uploads/ballhype/story_large/2009/03/02/rafael_palmeiro.jpg

texaspokieokie
8/23/2010, 03:23 PM
he'd be in HOF by now except for all the lieing.

ask roger clemens about not telling truth.

Scott D
8/23/2010, 03:32 PM
Pete Rose not being in the HOF is TOTAL BS.I don't even like Pete,I alaways thought he was a p.rick BUT he IS one of the greatest players ever.He bet on his team and lied about it,so what ?HOF is about what you do on the diamond,it IS NOT about character.If character is required then Ty Cobb needs to be removed,Babe Ruth and numerous others for being racists,drunks,thugs,etc.

considering that the one specific thing he did..bet on baseball games involving his own team had a previous criteria set in 1919. I hope he never gets into the HoF, especially if an innocent individual named Joseph Jefferson Jackson isn't reinstated to be eligible before Rose.

OhU1
8/23/2010, 03:54 PM
You forgot this guy:

You're right. I think Palmeiro went into hiding. I don't recall ever seeing him again after this. He should have taken Sosa's lead and pretended he didn't understand english anymore.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/23/2010, 04:08 PM
Palmerio did even better...he spent his time peddling boner pills

SoonerDood
8/23/2010, 08:32 PM
considering that the one specific thing he did..bet on baseball games involving his own team had a previous criteria set in 1919. I hope he never gets into the HoF, especially if an innocent individual named Joseph Jefferson Jackson isn't reinstated to be eligible before Rose.

^THIS

SCOUT
8/23/2010, 09:00 PM

One more vote for this post. Rules are rules. Every player knows what the consequences are and Pete ignored them.

Joe Jackson, while trying to allegedly throw the world series, hit .375 with twelve hits and the only series home run. He also committed no errors. It seems the only aspect of that series he did poorly was throw it.

texaspokieokie
8/24/2010, 07:34 AM
not so much what rose did; it's that he lied about it for about 15 yrs.

JMHO

Crucifax Autumn
8/24/2010, 10:23 AM
He shoulda been banned for that haircut 20 years earlier.

C&CDean
8/24/2010, 03:07 PM
The day Barry Bonds goes in, Pete better be right there going in too.

Scott D
8/24/2010, 04:42 PM
see I've given the "steroid" thing some thought. Yes it was cheating, yes it inflated the numbers, but are we going to retroactively decide to throw Gaylord Perry out of the HoF for admittedly using a doctored baseball for a fair share of his career?

While I share the opinion that Bonds, McGwire, Clemens, etc... should be left to twist in the wind awhile before possibly getting their ticket punched, those guys didn't do anything that was blatantly against the rules as Rose did.

Although to be fair, Rose having a "feud" with Kane of the WWE should be enough to keep him out of the HoF for eternity ;)

OhU1
8/24/2010, 08:38 PM
He shoulda been banned for that haircut 20 years earlier.

http://s.bebo.com/app-image/8369939378/6582771943/PROFILE/i.quizzaz.com/img/q/u/08/08/16/Anton_Chigurh.jpg

olevetonahill
8/24/2010, 09:47 PM
Did Pete **** up ? yup he did
So hes perma bained from BB ok thas good
But what he got the bain for was AFTER his Playing days were over
Let him in :pop:

JohnnyMack
8/24/2010, 09:52 PM
Palmerio did even better...he spent his time peddling boner pills

Uuuhhhh.....do you happen to have his phone number?

olevetonahill
8/24/2010, 10:28 PM
Uuuhhhh.....do you happen to have his phone number?

How many ya want ?
Can also hook ya up with the SHOTS ;)

Scott D
8/25/2010, 05:08 PM
Did Pete **** up ? yup he did
So hes perma bained from BB ok thas good
But what he got the bain for was AFTER his Playing days were over
Let him in :pop:

Part of his permaban is that he's ineligible for the HoF. He accepted his fate back then, and the argument isn't compelling enough to overturn it.

olevetonahill
8/25/2010, 08:11 PM
Part of his permaban is that he's ineligible for the HoF. He accepted his fate back then, and the argument isn't compelling enough to overturn it.

So in his Plea bargain deal Not gettin in the HoF was part of the deal ?
Then **** him he can kick rocks