PDA

View Full Version : True Blood: Is it too gay?

Chuck Bao
8/22/2010, 07:46 PM
I somehow thought that vampires were relevant in our modern culture and an euphemism for queers. “Dark Shadows” Max Shreck, Bela Lugosi, Christopher Lee and male vampires everywhere in previous films weren’t ever portrayed as sucking on the neck of other males because that would be too gross and unacceptable and what would be the point? They were closeted, or in a coffin, so to speak. If they suck the life out of females, it is still carrying out the analogy, right? It is just unnatural and wrong.

Fast forward 20 years after a man-to-man kiss on public TV is not so shocking and True Blood is the most innovative thing on TV. In terms of global programming, forget BBC. They ruled in the 70s, 80s and 90s. They are no longer edgy or challenging and when they were great was at a time that the big 3 US TV networks were trying to social engineer or come up with the least common denominator in appeal.

Of course, US TV is catering to a huge market and there are many who like to be pandered too, I know I like that. But, still I hate reality TV involving people I really shouldn’t care about.

True Blood is one of my favorite TV series, but I think the writing for the third season is completely crap, though. It is just not as smart and witty and enjoyable and then I have a question about this article.

So, has it become too gay?

http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethebox/2010/08/true-blood-too-gay-zap2it-readers-respond.html

What the hell? There is male on male sexuality and neck sucking and all sorts of ****.

I want to post that, as well as a link into the fact that Sookie and Bill actually got married. Good luck to both and how vampirelicious is that?

That's wonderful and congrats to both. They look really happy together.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/38807228/ns/today-entertainment/

GKeeper316
8/22/2010, 08:27 PM
too gay implies there's a baseline for an acceptable amount of gay.

imo in the context of a supernatural, near immortal creature who views human beings as little more than a food source, no, i dont think its too gay.

C&CDean
8/22/2010, 08:55 PM
Dude, I have no clue what you're talking about. True Blood to me is a Sylvester Stallone flick, and nobody sucks some other dude's neck or anything else.

Chuck Bao
8/22/2010, 08:59 PM
On the other hand, whoever heard of a gay werewolf? I know that I am a few episodes behind you guys but that Joe Manganiello character, Alcide Herveaux, has some pretty nice abs in a werewolfish way.

With that being said, the writing of the series seems to have rapidly deterioted from imaginative into a soap opera sort of way.

HBO apparently decided to take out all nudity and sex scenes and references to gay from their broadcast in Asia. I know that because I watched one episode when it was there and re-watched it again and it was all gone. Since then, it has all gone, regardless of whether it affected the plot or character development.

Spartacus still wins the prize for beefy men wearing just loin cloth pauches. And, violence and drama. All of that is still sex on a stick, as I see it. Unfortunately, I think that our last episode of season one aired last Saturday.

Sooner04
8/22/2010, 09:01 PM
Chuck, do you like gladiator movies?

picasso
8/22/2010, 09:03 PM
True Blood to me is a Sylvester Stallone flick, and nobody sucks some other dude's neck or anything else.

http://editorial.sidereel.com/Images/Posts/frank.jpg
I was hitch hikin' through Oregon and these cops chased me into the woods, it was a real bloodbath...

tulsaoilerfan
8/22/2010, 09:44 PM
I have tried to watch this series but IMO i can't see what all the fuss is about; it looks pretty boring to me

yermom
8/22/2010, 09:55 PM
Rogue's boobs is enough reason to at least check it out :D

the gay stuff does seem to get thrown in a little too much to make sense at times

Crucifax Autumn
8/22/2010, 10:10 PM
Doesn't bother me in the least. Not like I'm gonna watch it and run out and suck a dick.

Leroy Lizard
8/22/2010, 11:57 PM
I somehow thought that vampires were relevant in our modern culture and an euphemism for queers. “Dark Shadows” Max Shreck, Bela Lugosi, Christopher Lee and male vampires everywhere in previous films weren’t ever portrayed as sucking on the neck of other males because that would be too gross and unacceptable and what would be the point?

There was a more likely reason: Christopher Lee said, "I'm not sucking on some dude's neck, and I don't care how much you pay me. That's, like, total gay."

Leroy Lizard
8/23/2010, 01:01 AM
Dude, I have no clue what you're talking about. True Blood to me is a Sylvester Stallone flick, and nobody sucks some other dude's neck or anything else.

He's not talking about that movie. I think Chuck is referring to a relatively new movie where flamin', swishin' vampires dressed in lace stalk young twinks to infect them with the AIDS virus. I think the head vampire is named Thad.

soonerborn30
8/23/2010, 03:02 AM
There was an article in...Esquire maybe? A few months ago that detailed this very thing. Got really in-depth with how vampires have always been a thinly-veiled vehicle for, for lack of a better term, gayness. I totally agree. This could be because I've seen two of the three Twilight movies (one of the many pleasures of being married) and couldn't help but think the whole time how ALL of the vampire characters kinda seemed like queens.

Mind you, not that there's anything wrong with that. What you do behind closed doors is your business. I just think it's hilarious that they somehow end up being these romantic figures for girls to fawn over...and the characters would probably be more interested in the fans' boyfriends. good stuff.

Crucifax Autumn
8/23/2010, 07:04 AM
Gay vamps are nothing new at all, just watch or read Interview With the Vampire.

But speaking of True Blood, my download finished so I'm gonna quit ****ing around on here and watch this weeks episode. Just 2 more left this season after that and there are a LOT of plot threads to wrap up.

Next season they will be focusing on witches as a main plot line.

yankee
8/23/2010, 03:00 PM
this is why i stick to the office.