PDA

View Full Version : Recap of Weeks Stories

oudavid1
8/21/2010, 09:50 AM
http://newsok.com/ou-football-notebook-quinton-carter-demarco-murray-try-mma-workouts/article/3487279

Free safety Quinton Carter said he and running back DeMarco Murray participated in some mixed martial arts training this summer in Las Vegas, their hometown. Carter said MMA works on different muscles.
NewsOK Related Articles

"Sparring works on your shoulder," Carter said. "Punching the bag gets your endurance up as well as lifting weights. It's not weightlifting but body weight stuff, high rep things."

Carter said the MMA training helped Murray get in the best shape he's been.

"Seeing (Murray) doing that, he improved his speed and power," Carter said. "He has good size, everything you want in a running back. He hasn't had any injuries this past season. He's about two years out from that. I'm looking for him to do some big things this year. Hopefully, he can rush for 2,000 (yards)."

Carter and Murray will begin yoga class next week.

"I need it," Carter said. "That's why I enrolled. It helps me stay flexible."

Depth chart updated

An updated depth chart was posted on the school's website following Thursday's final scrimmage. Changes from the pre-fall camp depth chart were all on defense. Sophomore Javon Harris is the backup strong safety. Freshman Aaron Colvin is a backup cornerback. Sam Proctor is the backup free safety. Pryce Macon is a backup defensive end.

Coach Bob Stoops warned not to read too much into the depth chart, adding that competition will continue next week before game week preparation begins Aug. 30 for the Sept. 4 opener with Utah State.

Kicking update

Stoops said walk-on freshman Michael Hunnicutt has had a solid fall camp and is a viable candidate for the place-kicking job.

"They all need to be a little more consistent," Stoops said. "Michael Hunnicutt has been pretty impressive overall. Bryce Easley has gotten a ton better from a year ago. The other guys, Patrick (O'Hara) and Jimmy (Stevens) are doing an OK job but need to be more consistent."

Stoops said all kicks are charted, but simulated game situations at the end of practices and scrimmages carry a little more weight.

Chaisson, Moreland gone

Redshirt freshman defensive end Justin Chaisson and senior kicker Matt Moreland no longer are on the roster. Moreland, who handled kickoffs last season, is academically ineligible. Chaisson, dealing with personal issues, has returned home to Las Vegas. "(Chaisson) just decided he didn't want to do it anymore," Stoops said.

Two-minute drill

Linebacker Ronnell Lewis did not participate in Thursday's scrimmage. Lewis had a tooth pulled on Friday, but Stoops expects him to return to practice Monday or Tuesday. ... Freshman wide receiver Kenny Stills, projected as a starter, nearly has recovered from a groin pull that sidelined him for a week. ... Center Ben Habern got overheated at practice earlier this week but worked out Friday. ... "He's doing great. A lot of guys get a little low in the tank this time of year," Stoops said. ... Wednesday was the final day the Sooners practiced on the rugby fields. OU practiced inside the stadium on Friday and will also practice on adjacent grass fields.

Read more: http://newsok.com/ou-football-notebook-quinton-carter-demarco-murray-try-mma-workouts/article/3487279#ixzz0xFgyjzp4

Dan Thompson
8/21/2010, 10:26 AM
Is Justin Chaisson the guy that got in trouble in Vegas, something about threating his girl friend with a screwdriver?

meoveryouxinfinity
8/21/2010, 11:12 AM
i heard that kenny stills is able to practice some but not in full speed or competitive situations/drills. he is a starter but if he doesnt [play in the scrimmage (i dont know which scrimmage, is there one Monday, maybe?) he won't play (certainly won't start) in the Utah State game.

oudavid1
8/21/2010, 02:36 PM
Is Justin Chaisson the guy that got in trouble in Vegas, something about threating his girl friend with a screwdriver?

yes sir. But not sure if this is related to that specific incident.