PDA

View Full Version : Article On De-wan Mill-her

oudavid1
8/21/2010, 09:44 AM
http://newsok.com/consistency-will-determine-whether-dejuan-miller-starts/article/3487283?custom_click=lead_story_title

Consistency will determine whether Dejuan Miller starts
Wide receiver wants to crack No. 1 lineup

BY MIKE BALDWIN, Staff Writer, [email protected] Oklahoman Comment on this article 1
Published: August 20, 2010

NORMAN — After Dejuan Miller developed late last season into the Sooners' top receiving option — other than Ryan Broyles — speculation by media was Miller would be in the starting lineup.

Miller is a candidate to start OU's Sept. 4 opener against Utah State. But with freshman Kenny Stills making a strong impression, and others showing improvement, wide receivers coach Jay Norvell said playing time will be determined by consistent production.

"We had some guys start last year by default," Norvell said. "We were not happy with our level of play offensively. Part of that was the wide receivers weren't as competitive as we needed to be.

"This is a new season. Yeah, Dejuan did a good job at the end of last year. But he has to continue to make strides."

Miller, a junior from New Jersey, rarely saw action in nonconference play. His breakout game was nine receptions against Kansas State. Capped by six receptions in the Sun Bowl, Miller finished as OU's third-leading receiver behind Broyles and DeMarco Murray.

"Every time I step on the practice field my confidence is up," Miller said. "I pretty much have the whole playbook down. It's coming a lot more natural for me than it did last year."

If Miller can provide consistent production, he gives OU a 6-foot-4, 221-pound mismatch against small defensive backs, a jump-ball option in the red zone.

"That's something I like," Miller said. "You kind of toy with them. I like using my body and strength where I can muscle them, seal them off, sort of like boxing out in basketball. But I'm not just a possession receiver. I have some go in me."

Norvell, though, said that's one area Miller must show consistency.

"Sometimes little guys play big, and sometimes big guys don't play as big as they are," Norvell said. "Ryan Broyles plays pretty big. He's only 5-10, but when we throw a ball to him, he jumps up over a guy and makes the catch."

While height can be an advantage taller, receivers must develop other fundamentals like route running and getting out of cuts quickly to create separation from small, quick defenders.

"The key is getting off the line," Miller said. "You have to get the DB's hands off you. You can't slow down the route. Anytime a DB gets his hands on you, that's a half second late on an out route or a post (route). You're not just fighting the DB, you're fighting the defensive line getting to the quarterback.

"Separation, to me, is the biggest thing. If you can get separation it allows the quarterback more time to find you, be a bigger target."

One variable in Miller's favor is he developed a rapport with quarterback Landry Jones late last season.

"He's one of those guys who needed to work on his route running a little bit, and he's doing that," Jones said. "He's a big, tall guy who can box out receivers and play physical. I have total faith in him that he will do a great job."

Since he provided steady production late last season, Norvell was asked what Miller needs to do to nail down a starting job.

"Make plays consistently, the depth of his routes," Norvell said. "He's a big, long-legged guy. At times he's shown the ability to catch the ball in a crowd. We need him to be a consistent playmaker."

OU coach Bob Stoops offered a similar evaluation: "Dejuan is playing better, but you've got to see it in games. He needs to show up when you really need it. He needs to continue to improve on how he's playing. But I saw some of that the last few days."

Miller is confident he can build on his late-season breakout.

"I'm focused more on the little things, what to do against certain coverages like giving a DB a different release," Miller said. "My understanding of the game has definitely improved. I feel like one of the older guys now. As a veteran I need to make plays."

Read more: http://newsok.com/consistency-will-determine-whether-dejuan-miller-starts/article/3487283?custom_click=lead_story_title#ixzz0xFfjSzZ G

stoops the eternal pimp
8/21/2010, 04:43 PM
Another guy I've seen people talk about as being an all american and he isn't even consistent enough to be considered a full time starter

Crucifax Autumn
8/21/2010, 05:01 PM
I think he'll perform well in games. He seems to be one of those guys who is just not a good practice player, but when he started seeing the field consistently he stepped it up a bit.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/21/2010, 05:13 PM
I asked a big 12 coach who had won a lot of games how many players he had coached that were not good in practice but good during games and he said "0"...that was with about 30 years experience...

Under Stoops, his method has been if you don't practice well, you don't get on the field...Like Norvell said, some of these guys just played out of default last year without ever doing anything to deserve it..

I think Miller is a very raw, natural talent who is capable of much..had a good bowl game, appeared and disappeared through out the season..heck I don't even think he saw the field against Texas...

oudavid1
8/21/2010, 05:28 PM
good point ^^^^^

goingoneight
8/21/2010, 06:26 PM
I asked a big 12 coach who had won a lot of games how many players he had coached that were not good in practice but good during games and he said "0"...that was with about 30 years experience...

Under Stoops, his method has been if you don't practice well, you don't get on the field...Like Norvell said, some of these guys just played out of default last year without ever doing anything to deserve it..

I think Miller is a very raw, natural talent who is capable of much..had a good bowl game, appeared and disappeared through out the season..heck I don't even think he saw the field against Texas...

While nothing was ever said about it, you have to wonder why Miller had such a good game against Baylor, proving to be something positive for Texas and he stood silently alongside Jameel Owens without a helmet for the whole OU/TX game. An athlete that big, fast and strong surely could have at least got some ST play. That said, I agree he's got to step up his game. He looked good against Stanford, but got pulled for stinking it up against OSU. I'm concerned that we had starters by default at WR last year from a coaching standpoint. It's not like we had any injuries there outside of Broyles for all of two games. I definitely saw some of that coaches' favoritism toward Tennell, Kenney and Caleb. This means the young guys weren't very mature or that the coaches go with experience over intangibles/talent. It's one thing when it's 5th-year senior, well-respected PT over skinny, ill-prepared true freshman Sam Bradford... quite another when it's Kejuan Jones over AD. Hopefully last season's inconsistency comes down to the injuries, the QB and OL situation just being a fluke thing. However, when guys constantly drop passes perfectly-thrown on their mits... something ain't right. Neither Juaqin Iglesias nor Manny Johnson had what you would call great hands, but they caught "catchable" balls.

I expect that the offense as a whole will be better given all of their time together now, but still... all it takes is one mistake to ruin a game you have a chance to win (see: Iglesias bobbles a pass versus UF).

oudavid1
8/21/2010, 06:40 PM
While nothing was ever said about it, you have to wonder why Miller had such a good game against Baylor, proving to be something positive for Texas and he stood silently alongside Jameel Owens without a helmet for the whole OU/TX game. An athlete that big, fast and strong surely could have at least got some ST play. That said, I agree he's got to step up his game. He looked good against Stanford, but got pulled for stinking it up against OSU. I'm concerned that we had starters by default at WR last year from a coaching standpoint. It's not like we had any injuries there outside of Broyles for all of two games. I definitely saw some of that coaches' favoritism toward Tennell, Kenney and Caleb. This means the young guys weren't very mature or that the coaches go with experience over intangibles/talent. It's one thing when it's 5th-year senior, well-respected PT over skinny, ill-prepared true freshman Sam Bradford... quite another when it's Kejuan Jones over AD. Hopefully last season's inconsistency comes down to the injuries, the QB and OL situation just being a fluke thing. However, when guys constantly drop passes perfectly-thrown on their mits... something ain't right. Neither Juaqin Iglesias nor Manny Johnson had what you would call great hands, but they caught "catchable" balls.

I expect that the offense as a whole will be better given all of their time together now, but still... all it takes is one mistake to ruin a game you have a chance to win (see: Iglesias bobbles a pass versus UF).

this

stoops the eternal pimp
8/21/2010, 06:47 PM

Im not a K Wilson basher, but He did mention some lame excuse for Miller not playing against texas...

Not sure what the thing was, but the whole Wr situation is why I don't understand the hype they have received in some mags...just doesnt make sense when OU has one guy that has proven himself over a whole season..

Curly Bill
8/21/2010, 07:14 PM
Count me in as another that'll consider De-wan Mill-her a good receiver when I see him do something that warrants that. Plenty of potential? Yep. Done much of anything with it to this point? Nope.

gaylordfan1
8/21/2010, 07:39 PM
Im not a K Wilson basher, but He did mention some lame excuse for Miller not playing against texas...

Not sure what the thing was, but the whole Wr situation is why I don't understand the hype they have received in some mags...just doesnt make sense when OU has one guy that has proven himself over a whole season..

I believe Wilson said he wasn't consistent enough and didn't have the work ethic in practice.

Soonermagik
8/21/2010, 07:46 PM

He sure did light up Stanford.. for not practicing well. ;)

Also, how many times have we heard about guys who practice well with Stoops who end up stinking it up in games? Anyone remember Eric Bassey? He was the best practice guy I ever heard of. However, he was awful in games.

I've always heard the saying some guys are just gamers. Some guys show up big when the lights come on. I hope Miller can continue to improve.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/21/2010, 08:30 PM
He sure did light up Stanford.. for not practicing well. ;)

Stanford was 110th in the nation against the pass last year....uhm Congratulations D. Miller for doing what lots of guys did last year...

And it only took a full season plus 30 days extra of practice to have that game...:rolleyes:

As far as these games go...The guys who do it good on Saturday tend to show up and do well pretty consistently throughout the week

stoops the eternal pimp
8/21/2010, 08:32 PM
I believe Wilson said he wasn't consistent enough and didn't have the work ethic in practice.

He also had some thing about personnel on the field and he didn't want Miller on the field at the same time as some other receiver..I can go look it up because I posted it here..

Soonermagik
8/21/2010, 10:24 PM
Stanford was 110th in the nation against the pass last year....uhm Congratulations D. Miller for doing what lots of guys did last year...

And it only took a full season plus 30 days extra of practice to have that game...:rolleyes:

As far as these games go...The guys who do it good on Saturday tend to show up and do well pretty consistently throughout the week

He still had to run the routes and catch the balls. I think you aren't giving him his due. I think we both hope he can remain consistent like he did toward the end of the year.

Eielson
8/21/2010, 11:12 PM

Even Ratterree had more yards against Stanford than Miller. :P

As long as we always play defenses where Broyles can catch 13 passes for 156 yards and 3 touchdowns I don't think it really matters who the second guy is.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/22/2010, 03:13 PM
He still had to run the routes and catch the balls. I think you aren't giving him his due. I think we both hope he can remain consistent like he did toward the end of the year.

So what exactly has he done to deserve his due?

Once again, lots and lots of receivers had good games against Stanford...He ran and caught passes he should have...Thats the same expectation I have on the elementary team I coach..

Again, I think he has some natural ability, but doing what everybody else did all year isn't something that sets him apart...