PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Laura to leave radio because of the "N word"

MR2-Sooner86
8/20/2010, 06:45 PM
So I guess Dr. Laura is going to be leaving radio and isn't going to re-new her contract. She has been under fire for using the N word (AKA n*gger) on air.

Personally, I never liked the woman and she came across as a royal bitch every time I heard her but this black chick does have a stick up her ***.

Here's the transcript with that caller. (http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/08/13/dr-lauras-rant-in-her-own-words/?iref=allsearch)

SCHLESSINGER: Jade, welcome to the program.

CALLER: Hi, Dr. Laura.

SCHLESSINGER: Hi.

CALLER: I'm having an issue with my husband where I'm starting to grow very resentful of him. I'm black, and he's white. We've been around some of his friends and family members who start making racist comments as if I'm not there or if I'm not black. And my husband ignores those comments, and it hurts my feelings. And he just acts like ...

SCHLESSINGER: Well, can you give me an example of a racist comment? 'Cause sometimes people are hypersensitive. So tell me what's, give me two good examples of racist comments.

CALLER: OK. Last night – good example – we had a neighbor come over, and this neighbor, when every time he comes over, it's always a black comment. It's, "Oh, well, how do you black people like doing this?" And, "Do black people really like doing that?" And for a long time, I would ignore it. But last night, I got to the point where it ...

SCHLESSINGER: I don't think that's racist.

CALLER: Well, the stereotype ...

SCHLESSINGER: I don't think that's racist. No, I think that ...

CALLER: [unintelligible]

SCHLESSINGER: No, no, no. I think that's, well, listen, without giving much thought, a lot of blacks voted for Obama simply 'cause he was half-black. Didn't matter what he was gonna do in office, it was a black thing. You gotta know that. That's not a surprise. Not everything that somebody says. ... We had friends over the other day; we got about 35 people here. The guys who were gonna start playing basketball. I was going to go out and play basketball. My bodyguard and my dear friend is a black man. And I said, "White men can't jump; I want you on my team." That was racist? That was funny.

CALLER: How about the N-word? So, the N-word's been thrown around ...

SCHLESSINGER: Black guys use it all the time. Turn on HBO, listen to a black comic, and all you hear is n--, n--, n--.

CALLER: That isn't ...

SCHLESSINGER: I don't get it. If anybody without enough melanin says it, it's a horrible thing, but when black people say it, it's affectionate. It's very confusing. Don't hang up, I want to talk to you some more. Don't go away.

I'm Dr. Laura Schlessinger. I'll be right back.

SCHLESSINGER: I'm Dr. Laura Schlessinger, talking to Jade. What did you think about during the break, by the way?

CALLER: I was a little caught back by the N-word that you spewed out, I have to be honest with you. But my point is, race relations ...

SCHLESSINGER: Oh, then I guess you don't watch HBO or listen to any black comedians.

CALLER: But that doesn't make it right. I mean, race is a ...

SCHLESSINGER: My dear, my dear ...

CALLER: ... since Obama's been in office ...

SCHLESSINGER: ... the point I'm trying to make ...

CALLER: ... racism has come to another level that's unacceptable.

SCHLESSINGER: Yeah. We've got a black man as president, and we have more complaining about racism than ever. I mean, I think that's hilarious.

CALLER: But I think, honestly, 'cause there's more white people afraid of a black man taking over the nation.

SCHLESSINGER: They're afraid.

CALLER: If you want to be honest about it ...

SCHLESSINGER: Dear, they voted him in. Only 12 percent of the population's black. Whites voted him in.

CALLER: It was the younger generation that did it. It wasn't the older white people who did it.

SCHLESSINGER: Oh, OK.

CALLER: It was the younger generation ...

SCHLESSINGER: All right. All right.

CALLER: ... that did it.

SCHLESSINGER: Chip on your shoulder. I can't do much about that.

CALLER: It's not like that.

SCHLESSINGER: Yeah. I think you have too much sensitivity ...

CALLER: So it's OK to say "n-–"?

SCHLESSINGER: ... and not enough sense of humor.

CALLER: It's OK to say that word?

SCHLESSINGER: It depends how it's said.

CALLER: Is it OK to say that word? Is it ever OK to say that word?

SCHLESSINGER: It depends how it's said. Black guys talking to each other seem to think it's OK.

CALLER: But you're not black. They're not black. My husband is white.

SCHLESSINGER: Oh, I see. So, a word is restricted to race. Got it. Can't do much about that.

CALLER: I can't believe someone like you is on the radio spewing out the "n-–" word, and I hope everybody heard it.

SCHLESSINGER: I didn't spew out the "n-–" word.

CALLER: You said, "n-–, n-–, n-–."

SCHLESSINGER: Right, I said that's what you hear.

CALLER: Everybody heard it.

SCHLESSINGER: Yes, they did.

CALLER: I hope everybody heard it.

SCHLESSINGER: They did, and I'll say it again ...

CALLER: So what makes it OK for you to say the word?

SCHLESSINGER: ... n-–, n-–, n-– is what you hear on HBO ...

CALLER: So what makes it ...

SCHLESSINGER: Why don't you let me finish a sentence?

CALLER: OK.

SCHLESSINGER: Don't take things out of context. Don't double N, NAACP me. Tape the ...

CALLER: I know what the NAACP ...

SCHLESSINGER: Leave them in context.

CALLER: I know what the N-word means and I know it came from a white person. And I know the white person made it bad.

SCHLESSINGER: All right. Thank you very much. Thank you very much. Can't have this argument. You know what? If you're that hypersensitive about color and don't have a sense of humor, don't marry out of your race. If you're going to marry out of your race, people are going to say, "OK, what do blacks think? What do whites think? What do Jews think? What do Catholics think?" Of course there isn't a one-think per se. But in general there's "think."

And what I just heard from Jade is a lot of what I hear from black-think - and it's really distressing and disturbing. And to put it in its context, she said the N-word, and I said, on HBO, listening to black comics, you hear "n-–, n-–, n-–." I didn't call anybody a n-–. Nice try, Jade.

Actually, sucky try.

Need a sense of humor, sense of humor - and answer the question. When somebody says, "What do blacks think?" say, "This is what I think. This is what I read that if you take a poll the majority of blacks think this." Answer the question and discuss the issue. It's like we can't discuss anything without saying there's -isms?

We have to be able to discuss these things. We're people. Goodness gracious me. Ah, ah, hypersensitivity, OK, which is being bred by black activists. I really thought that once we had a black president, the attempt to demonize whites hating blacks would stop, but it seems to have grown, and I don't get it. Yes, I do. It's all about power. I do get it. It's all about power, and that's sad because what should be in power is not power but righteousness, to do good. That should be the greatest power.

:pop:

XingTheRubicon
8/20/2010, 06:46 PM
nagger?

Sooner_Havok
8/20/2010, 06:50 PM
Says she has lost her 1st Amendment Rights. lol

MR2-Sooner86
8/20/2010, 06:50 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_3Qo-Fn3Eicw/R1f_bf2ODXI/AAAAAAAACL8/E3SINRv_9F0/s400/nagger.jpg

StoopTroup
8/20/2010, 07:23 PM
If she really is a Doctor...she should probably just used the Old Latin Version of the word. It's just good medicine IMO.

Crucifax Autumn
8/20/2010, 07:46 PM
She probably wouldn't have all these problems without a 20 year prior history of man hating and racism. This one incident isn't so big a deal really, no worse than nappy headed hoes and she shouldn't quit over this particular controversy, but she shoulda quit years ago.

yermom
8/20/2010, 07:53 PM
in general when i have heard her on the radio i wanted to smack her

in this case, i'm not sure i can disagree with a damn thing she said

she didn't even refer to someone as an "N-word". i mean seriously it's taboo just saying a word even when just talking about the word :rolleyes:

it's not like she was Kramering here

Sooner_Havok
8/20/2010, 08:03 PM
in general when i have heard her on the radio i wanted to smack her

in this case, i'm not sure i can disagree with a damn thing she said

she didn't even refer to someone as an "N-word". i mean seriously it's taboo just saying a word even when just talking about the word :rolleyes:

it's not like she was Kramering here

All I know is I am never saying that word outside of a select group of trusted friends. For better or for worse.

StoopTroup
8/20/2010, 08:36 PM
All I know is I am never saying that word outside of a select group of trusted friends. For better or for worse.

Which word? Nappy? :D

Sooner_Havok
8/20/2010, 08:37 PM
Which word? Nappy? :D

Yup, said that to my lady once. :( :( :(

StoopTroup
8/20/2010, 08:38 PM
Yup, said that to my lady once. :( :( :(

Keywords like Once really make ya want to hear the rest of the story....lol

Sooner_Havok
8/20/2010, 08:45 PM
Keywords like Once really make ya want to hear the rest of the story....lol

I ain't Paul Harvey :D

SanJoaquinSooner
8/20/2010, 09:19 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niVDDssd5BA

MR2-Sooner86
8/20/2010, 09:25 PM
And...she still has a stick up her ***. I could see her squirming around, it's there.

Scott D
8/20/2010, 09:36 PM
I can think of a thousand reasons to get her off the air, but this is probably down near 997 on that list.

Leroy Lizard
8/20/2010, 10:20 PM
Her mistake was apologizing. That's like bleeding in shark-infested waters. Just say, "Yeah, I said it. In the context of the discussion, it was appropriate. That's all I have to say on this matter and I will not field any more questions about it."

If I was a politician, that would be my strategy: Never, ever apologize.

Spray
8/20/2010, 10:46 PM
Sorry- I only read the transcript posted above- but she's getting what she deserves. There is no rationalizing the N word. It's despicable no matter who says it and she was trying to rationalize it. Her arguments are something a 15 year old might say.

Scott D
8/20/2010, 10:53 PM
Her arguments are something a 15 year old might say.

that sums up her radio career to be honest.

Spray
8/20/2010, 10:59 PM
True dat.

Lout
8/20/2010, 11:05 PM
The most hilarious thing about this is when she asks the caller to let her finish a sentence. Re-read the transcript of the call--the caller never gets a chance to articulate any of her problems that she's having.

Oh, and Dr. Laura's an idiot and needed to be fired for this. It's not racist to say, "Why do black people act like this?" or "What do black folks think of this?" Sure. Because all black folks think and feel the same way, and they decide it by consensus, so that anytime of us white folks is confused, one of them can gladly inform us. Yep, black folks are just here to be a monolithic group that any white person can demand explanations of their beliefs and actions and receive it immediately. Yep. Nothing racist about that, at all.

That's the worst part of all this--the guy the caller is complaining about and Dr. Laura aren't overt racists. The fact that they can't understand why broaching the subject with a question like that would be offensive to some people is really, really tragic.

Leroy Lizard
8/20/2010, 11:23 PM
Oh, and Dr. Laura's an idiot and needed to be fired for this. It's not racist to say, "Why do black people act like this?" or "What do black folks think of this?" Sure. Because all black folks think and feel the same way, and they decide it by consensus, so that anytime of us white folks is confused, one of them can gladly inform us.

White people catch this crap more than any race in the country.

Curly Bill
8/20/2010, 11:25 PM
White people catch this crap more than any race in the country.

Shut up Whitey! You just don't understand! ;)

soonerhubs
8/20/2010, 11:37 PM
She's a hypocrite like no other. I've never liked her show as her condescending know-it-all tone makes her the worst type of counselor.

Read up on her history and you'll see how truly unfit she is to stand on any type of soap box.

MR2-Sooner86
8/20/2010, 11:37 PM
It's not racist to say, "Why do black people act like this?" or "What do black folks think of this?" Sure. Because all black folks think and feel the same way, and they decide it by consensus, so that anytime of us white folks is confused, one of them can gladly inform us. Yep, black folks are just here to be a monolithic group that any white person can demand explanations of their beliefs and actions and receive it immediately. Yep. Nothing racist about that, at all.

The fact that they can't understand why broaching the subject with a question like that would be offensive to some people is really, really tragic.

Why? It's that attitude right there racism keeps going and it's a **** poor one at that. Why in the hell can't I ask them a question? Because they're black? Because their great, great, great grandparents were my great, great, great grandparent's slaves? Because making any reference to their race is taboo?

"How do black people feel about (insert subject)?"

I'm not going to ***** foot about a question I'm going to ask them straight up. If they choose to get offended for some dumbass reason that's their fault.

"How do white people feel about (insert subject)?"

Anything wrong with that question? No, just like the previous one. Is it racist? No it's called equality but I guess most people don't really want that now do they?

There is no rationalizing the N word. It's despicable no matter who says it.

Can't say N*gger, Boogie, Jig, Jigaboo, Skinhead, Moolimoolinyon, Schvatzit, Junglebunny. Greaser, Greaseball, Dago, Guinea, Whop, Ginzo, Kike, Zebe, Heed, Yid, Mocky, Himie, Mick, Donkey, Turkey, Limey, Frog. Zip, Zipperhead, Squarehead, Crout, Hiney, Jerry, Hun, Slope, Slopehead, Chink, Gook. There is absolutely nothing wrong with any of those words in and of themselves. Their only words. It's the context that counts. It's the user. It's the intention behind the words that makes them good or bad. The words are completely neutral. The words are innocent. I get tired of people talking about bad words and bad language. Bullsh*t! It's the context that makes them good or bad. The context. That makes them good or bad. For instance, you take the word "N*gger." There is absolutely nothing wrong with the word "N*gger" in and of itself. It's the racist @sshole who's using it that you ought to be concerned about. We don't mind when Richard Pryer or Eddie Murphy say it. Why? Because we know they're not racist. They're N*ggers! Context. Context. We don't mind their context because we know they're black. Hey, I know I'm whitey, the blue-eyed devil, paddy-o, fay gray boy, honkey, mother-f*cker myself. Don't bother my @ss. They're only words. You can't be afraid of words that speak the truth, even if it's an unpleasant truth, like the fact that there's a bigot and a racist in every living room on every street corner in this country.

picasso
8/20/2010, 11:45 PM
She gives great advice for folks with problem chillrens.

yermom
8/21/2010, 12:14 AM
The most hilarious thing about this is when she asks the caller to let her finish a sentence. Re-read the transcript of the call--the caller never gets a chance to articulate any of her problems that she's having.

Oh, and Dr. Laura's an idiot and needed to be fired for this. It's not racist to say, "Why do black people act like this?" or "What do black folks think of this?" Sure. Because all black folks think and feel the same way, and they decide it by consensus, so that anytime of us white folks is confused, one of them can gladly inform us. Yep, black folks are just here to be a monolithic group that any white person can demand explanations of their beliefs and actions and receive it immediately. Yep. Nothing racist about that, at all.

That's the worst part of all this--the guy the caller is complaining about and Dr. Laura aren't overt racists. The fact that they can't understand why broaching the subject with a question like that would be offensive to some people is really, really tragic.

there is more to being black than skin color.

there is a cultural aspect. maybe one black person doesn't do something stereotypically black, but i bet they know people that do

what if someone from another part of the country came to Oklahoma and asked "what's the deal with you people and football?" or "why does everyone yell SOONERS at the end of the national anthem?"

i guess the nature of the question could be an issue, but i'm not getting the sense that it was "why don't black people get off the porch and get jobs?"

StoopTroup
8/21/2010, 06:25 AM
DON'T NAACP ME BRO!

soonerhubs
8/21/2010, 07:31 AM
She gives great advice for folks with problem chillrens.

Heh! I'm not so sure about that.

I've always wanted someone to call complaining about a radio host with a history of adultery and mate poaching.

picasso
8/21/2010, 09:24 AM
Heh! I'm not so sure about that.

Well I am and so is my wife who has a masters in early childhood development. My wife is also a counselor in conscious discipline. Laura has a shady past and this gives her no reason to help people not make the same mistakes?
I don't get it as her being on a soapbox so much as it is her giving tough advice that needs to be heard.
The stripping bad kids of all rights and privileges is spot on.

That said the only time I've ever heard her is in the car and after a while I have to turn it. A bit depressing.

Lott's Bandana
8/21/2010, 10:01 AM
I have tried and tried to see the correlation of evil that exists between using that particular word to "describe" or label someone, and an attempted discussion of that word's historical and current use.

If I discuss The Holocaust with someone, does that make me a Nazi?

If I speak with a friend about good bars in Austin, do I become a whorn?

Freedom of Speech is as fictitious as a FBS National Championship.

Keep your mouth shut, your thoughts sterile, your typing vague and shallow, drive your Subaru and spend your money at the local Michaels/PetSmart/Ross/Home Depot shopping cultural festering abcess and everything will be fine.

texaspokieokie
8/21/2010, 10:05 AM
LB

good post !!

Leroy Lizard
8/21/2010, 10:41 AM
what if someone from another part of the country came to Oklahoma and asked "what's the deal with you people and football?" or "why does everyone yell SOONERS at the end of the national anthem?"

Wouldn't bother me a bit.

Lott's Bandana
8/21/2010, 11:27 AM

Oh, pleeeeeese throw me in THAT brier patch!

soonerhubs
8/21/2010, 12:11 PM
Well I am and so is my wife who has a masters in early childhood development. My wife is also a counselor in conscious discipline. Laura has a shady past and this gives her no reason to help people not make the same mistakes?
I don't get it as her being on a soapbox so much as it is her giving tough advice that needs to be heard.
The stripping bad kids of all rights and privileges is spot on.

That said the only time I've ever heard her is in the car and after a while I have to turn it. A bit depressing.

Fair enough. My area has narrowed more towards couple relationships, so I suppose I'm may be missing information re: parenting and childoutcomes.

StoopTroup
8/21/2010, 12:20 PM
Is it illegal for me to play Rap music performed by Black Folks that have derogatory statements? As of yet...I've not been told I can't buy it. Is buying it and listening to it racist? Is it OK for me to even listen to them say it or scream it?

I think it sends out mixed signals and you would think the lady on LKL would have spent some time denouncing the use of it by anyone which is what Dr. Laura was trying to express I believe....albeit....very poorly she did.

Until all the rappers that sold the music start paying us back for the music they sold to us and our kids....I don't think I can take any of it very seriously except for the fact that I don't think it's nice to hurt folks feelings after they have at least asked you nicely not to do it again. That not only includes derogatory language but also your daily life situations.

The lady did ask Dr. Laura to stop and she kept doing it.

Kinda of another point is that I know most folks would get fired from their job for even uttering it yet is it illegal to say it? If you stand on the street corner and scream it....other than probably getting beat to death by an angry mob these days....is it illegal? Would you do jail time? It's questions like this that I think continues to make this a provocative discussion. So many mixed signals are sent out these days. Has our workplace violated out right to free speech? I don't think to many folks would even argue that but really...have we been duped? Have we all just become mindless sheep that should just keep our mouths shut around each other at work? Is that the solution we as intelligent thinking people decide is best for our society?

jkjsooner
8/21/2010, 12:37 PM
I want to make a couple of points:

1. I think we go too far to avoid using the n word when we're talking about the word itself. However, when talking about the word, one should use sensitivity and respect. When Laura slung several together (several times) she was in no way using sensitivity and caution when talking about the word. It appears that Dr. Laura was trying to be antagonistic by using the word as she did.

2. It is irrelevant that some African Americans use the n* word to other African Americans. Criticize it in its own time but it wasn't relevant to the discussion the caller was trying to have with Dr. Laura. It definitely does not justify the use of the word by a white person.

Many blacks do not use the n* word in any context and are critical of those who do use it within their race.

Let's say you grew up in West Virginia and you and your buddies jokingly called each other "inbred hillbilly." Maybe it's a way to identify with each other considering you both deal with the negative stereotypes that West Virginians have to face. Maybe it's become a part of your internal pop culture. Either way, if someone from NYC came to West Virginia and called you an "inbred hillbilly" you would definitely not take it the same way and it would be an insult.

If the guy from NYC was just trying to fit in then that's one thing. I do think if someone who has black friends and uses the n* word around his friends just as they do around each other it should be taken in context. Either way, it simply isn't a wise thing to do.

3. It didn't seem like Dr. Laura really gave the caller a chance to really explain what types of questions were being asked. There's a difference between, "What do black people think about prominent conservative Republicans?" and "Why do black people like watermelon and fried chicken?" It's possible that the questions were truly offensive. We wouldn't know because Dr. Laura got on her soapbox without even determining that.

StoopTroup
8/21/2010, 12:40 PM
I believe President Obama, Laura and "Jade" should sit down and have a beer and listen to some Cypress Hill.

Leroy Lizard
8/21/2010, 01:49 PM
Let's say you grew up in West Virginia and you and your buddies jokingly called each other "inbred hillbilly."

Question: Would a NYC radio host who used the term "inbred hillbilly" be expected to resign?

People use the term all the time, which leads to a hurtful stereotype. No one cares. What do you have to say about that?

jkjsooner
8/21/2010, 03:59 PM
Question: Would a NYC radio host who used the term "inbred hillbilly" be expected to resign?

People use the term all the time, which leads to a hurtful stereotype. No one cares. What do you have to say about that?

Doesn't seem fair either but it had nothing to do with what I said. You took my analogy in a total different direction...

texaspokieokie
8/21/2010, 04:03 PM
it will blow over.
look @ Don Imus.

StoopTroup
8/21/2010, 04:10 PM
it will blow over.
look @ Don Imus.

Which goes right back to the fact that she wasn't being malicious she was making her own point and ignoring the caller's point and the caller turned on her.

It's easy to say you are a long time listener and that you lied about your identity to avoid embarrassment but to do this and end up on LKL using your real name makes you suspect that this was just another attempt to take down another Talk Radio personality. Talk Radio Folks will eventually figure out it's just better to let folks like Jade figure out their own problems or pay for real help to someone they can sue if their Patient / Doctor confidentiality is breached.

I believe talking to Doctor Laura is no different than taking your Spouse on the Dr. Phil Show. If you are by chance a middle of the road A Hole....you are probably going to come off as a Major League A Hole on TV or Radio in today's climate.

Leroy Lizard
8/21/2010, 04:24 PM
Doesn't seem fair either but it had nothing to do with what I said.

I think it has everything to do with what you said.

And to simply say "it doesn't seem fair" is pretty lame. You either denounce it, or you don't. And frankly, you don't.

Lott's Bandana
8/21/2010, 04:48 PM
I remember Cowturd saying that he was surprised App State even had electricity, much less a football team that could beat Michigan.

Given what gets people fired these days, I guess he determined in his mind that people in the mountains of North Carolina don't have enough of an organized power base to get him booted for that statement.

Too bad actually.

Leroy Lizard
8/21/2010, 04:50 PM
I remember Cowturd saying that he was surprised App State even had electricity, much less a football team that could beat Michigan.

Given what gets people fired these days, I guess he determined in his mind that people in the mountains of North Carolina don't have enough of an organized power base to get him booted for that statement.

Too bad actually.

If Dr. Laura was forced to resign for her statements, he should have been as well. And guess who would have defended him? The same ones that are now attacking Dr. Laura, except this time it would have been "Freedom of speech! Freedom of speech!"

Hypocrisy. It's a bitch.

MR2-Sooner86
8/21/2010, 05:01 PM
Personally, I have no problem with the word n*gger. Very harmless word.

Now, the "H word" is something different. I hate it how n*ggers refer to us h*nkies as...h*nkies. THAT'S OUR WORD! We're the only ones who can use it. Do they know what we've gone through? Do they know how much we're targeted for racism and reparations/taxes? Do they know how hard it is? NO! It really pisses me off and I think I might ban that word just because of all the hate and pain it has caused on my fellow whites.

StoopTroup
8/21/2010, 05:04 PM
^ Stupid *** Cracker. :D ;)

Leroy Lizard
8/21/2010, 05:07 PM

Now, the "H word" is something different. I hate it how n*ggers refer to us h*nkies as...h*nkies. THAT'S OUR WORD! We're the only ones who can use it. Do they know what we've gone through? Do they know how much we're targeted for racism and reparations/taxes? Do they know how hard it is? NO! It really pisses me off and I think I might ban that word just because of all the hate and pain it has caused on my fellow whites.

What would these guys think?

http://popomaticjeff.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/george_jefferson1.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_oLuih3zPjF4/RzZ7rNWEu6I/AAAAAAAAAFk/0WWNf0kq-MY/s400/sanford.jpg

StoopTroup
8/21/2010, 05:09 PM
It was pretty clear what he thought of the Willises....

http://hiwaay.net/~wmwms/Images/willises.jpg

Leroy Lizard
8/21/2010, 05:18 PM

I'm glad they yanked those shows off their air for their blatant racism.

soonerborn30
8/21/2010, 11:20 PM
I work right next to a very sensitive black man. Occasionally we'll talk about race, usually in a joking manner (the PC rules of working in a corporation sort of dictate that). For example, I told him I wasn't interested in the new Karate Kid movie, he countered that it's because this version had a black kid in it. We all had a good laugh about it. Occasionally I'll go pick up lunch at one of the fast food joints nearby, and I try to include him "hey, I'm going to ___ you want?" He told me I shouldn't even ask him if I was going to KFC, because it'd be racist. I had to call him on it, told him it was ridiculous. I also told him that if he ever went to the Cracker Barrel to get me some biscuits and gravy.

I've never even considered asking him "what do black folks think about ___" mostly because it's a stupid ****ing question. He once asked me what white people thought about something. I replied "how the hell should I know? I can tell you what I think, though. How about that? Then you can be the judge as to whether my belief is one that the entire rest of my race holds or not." He hasn't asked me that since.

As far as the N word, there's just no place for it in nearly every social circumstance you'd ever encounter. Quoting a movie/TV show is one thing, but just to use it as an affectionate term or otherwise is simply out of the question.

Leroy Lizard
8/21/2010, 11:23 PM
I work right next to a very sensitive black man. Occasionally we'll talk about race, usually in a joking manner (the PC rules of working in a corporation sort of dictate that).

Do you value your job? Do you want to continue working there?

If so, then under no circumstances talk race with this man. He may be laughing today...

soonerborn30
8/21/2010, 11:27 PM
Yeah, believe me, that thought has crossed my mind. They're exclusively conversations that he starts, and I measure my words pretty carefully. And really, that kind of makes me sad a little bit. IMHO that's a huge part of the problem: everybody's too damn scared to even talk about anything race-related.

GKeeper316
8/21/2010, 11:38 PM
"Dr" Laura has a Phd in English Lit. she isnt a shrink. she has never learned how to be a good councellor. she's just a dried up angry bitch with a microphone.

after she leaves radio (or before, either way) I hope she sits in a running car in a closed garage for about 2 hours.

Leroy Lizard
8/21/2010, 11:43 PM
"Dr" Laura has a Phd in English Lit. she isnt a shrink. she has never learned how to be a good councellor. she's just a dried up angry bitch with a microphone.

after she leaves radio (or before, either way) I hope she sits in a running car in a closed garage for about 2 hours.

Ahem. There are no quotes around Dr., especially if she has a bona fide Ph.D.

SCOUT
8/22/2010, 12:01 AM
Has our workplace violated out right to free speech? I don't think to many folks would even argue that but really...have we been duped? Have we all just become mindless sheep that should just keep our mouths shut around each other at work? Is that the solution we as intelligent thinking people decide is best for our society?

I just wanted to clarify one aspect of your post. Your protection in regards to speech is only from government intervention under the first amendment. Your private employer can prevent you from saying pretty much whatever they want, while using your employment as a consequence. This is a general warning to people who think their posts on soonerfans, myspace, facebook etc. Your employer is not bound by the constitutional protections of the first and may apply specific company policies to your actions.

GKeeper316
8/22/2010, 12:35 AM
I just wanted to clarify one aspect of your post. Your protection in regards to speech is only from government intervention under the first amendment. Your private employer can prevent you from saying pretty much whatever they want, while using your employment as a consequence. This is a general warning to people who think their posts on soonerfans, myspace, facebook etc. Your employer is not bound by the constitutional protections of the first and may apply specific company policies to your actions.

ya just check your company's employee handbook. it spells out how you are expected to behave by their rules at all times, or else suffer their wrath.

it's right next to the part that states said company reserves the right to disregard it's own policies whenever it sees fit.

this is the consequence of a non-unionized labor force.

Leroy Lizard
8/22/2010, 12:40 AM
First Admendment doesn't apply to the workforce, union or no union.

GKeeper316
8/22/2010, 12:45 AM
First Admendment doesn't apply to the workforce, union or no union.

ya but if a union employee gets fired for something unrelated to work and away from the workplace, the company would have a hell of a time functioning when the rest of the union workers walked out.

imo employers have no right to fire people for that kinda ****, and in oklahoma, thats what we get. the only unions that even really operate in oklahoma anymore are government unions. the rest have bailed out (GM and UAW).

Leroy Lizard
8/22/2010, 01:03 AM
ya but if a union employee gets fired for something unrelated to work and away from the workplace, the company would have a hell of a time functioning when the rest of the union workers walked out.

As long as the unions receive their dues, they're not going to care one way or the other.

imo employers have no right to fire people for that kinda ****, and in oklahoma, thats what we get.

It's a free country. If you don't like the rules, kindly pick up and go work someplace else. As an employer, I can't force you to stay working for me. Why should you be able to force me to retain your services?

Crucifax Autumn
8/22/2010, 01:05 AM
In Nevada if you get fired for something that's not EXPLICITLY forbidden by written company policy thecompany is found to be in the wrong and the employee is eligible to receive unemployment.

Yeah, I know, unrelated to this topic really, but it shows that employers aren't allowed to just do whatever they want, even in a "right to work" state(or as I call it "right to get canned for no good ****ing reason state). So if you want to be able to fire people at a whim, you better have some all-inclusive **** in your employee handbook. My old boss found out the hard way that both the unemployment division and the US department of labor frown on the boss acting like they are God.

Leroy Lizard
8/22/2010, 01:10 AM
In Nevada if you get fired for something that's not EXPLICITLY forbidden by written company policy thecompany is found to be in the wrong and the employee is eligible to receive unemployment.

Heh. "Show me where I can't kill my boss!"

My old boss found out the hard way that both the unemployment division and the US department of labor frown on the boss acting like they are God.

Why would the U.S. Department of Labor get involved? That's a state law.

I thought Nevada was an at-will state. It certainly was when I lived there.

GKeeper316
8/22/2010, 01:15 AM
As an employer, I can't force you to stay working for me. Why should you be able to force me to retain your services?

ya but you aren't an employer, are you? you're a teacher.

those that can't do...

Leroy Lizard
8/22/2010, 01:18 AM
ya but you aren't an employer, are you? you're a teacher.

those that can't do...

Both, actually. I have a consulting company that keeps me busy during the summer. I wasn't actually talking from the standpoint of an employer, though, more as a hypothetical.

Crucifax Autumn
8/22/2010, 01:19 AM
Heh. "Show me where I can't kill my boss!"

Moot point in that case since you won't be keeping your job in prison. :D

Why would the U.S. Department of Labor get involved? That's a state law.

Because their policies and employee treatment as far as hours and so on violated fed law and I turned their asses in and got a bit of back overtime and because they were cheating on their taxes by misclassifying my employee status as well as violating some rules as far as salaried/hourly employee.

I thought Nevada was an at-will state. It certainly was when I lived there.

It's right to work currently.

So yeah...They ****ed with me one too many times so I flipped it and stuck it in their *** for a change.

Leroy Lizard
8/22/2010, 01:28 AM
Because their policies and employee treatment as far as hours and so on violated fed law and I turned their asses in and got a bit of back overtime and because they were cheating on their taxes by misclassifying my employee status as well as violating some rules as far as salaried/hourly employee.

Okay, so initially you made the claim that in Nevada you cannot fire anyone unless they explicitly violated company policy, but as an example you offered a case where federal law was violated. :rolleyes:

Crucifax Autumn
8/22/2010, 04:24 AM
Dude...It's 2 different parts of the same problem and something that happened well over a year ago. Their violations of labor laws is something I brought up and pursued AFTER they unjustly fired me against state statutes. I realize that multi-faceted issues are hard for many to comprehend, but despite your generally argumentative personality I thought you were smart enough to follow it without me labeling the steps 1-2-3 like I would for someone with limited mental capacity.

soonerhubs
8/22/2010, 07:48 AM
I have a consulting company that keeps me busy during the summer.

Annoying and Unsolicited Arguments Unlimited LTD? ;)

Leroy Lizard
8/22/2010, 01:37 PM
Dude...It's 2 different parts of the same problem and something that happened well over a year ago. Their violations of labor laws is something I brought up and pursued AFTER they unjustly fired me against state statutes. I realize that multi-faceted issues are hard for many to comprehend...

when goofballs can't explain what the **** is going on.

Your issue with federal law was a complete red herring.

And you sound like a real valuable employee. I'm sure the company is glad they hired you way back when.

olevetonahill
8/22/2010, 01:43 PM
AW Limptard
Hey I found yer book. looks like its never been opened .:rolleyes:
http://self-improvement-ebooks.com/books/htwfaip.jpg

Leroy Lizard
8/22/2010, 02:39 PM
This is rich. I'm getting personal relationship advice from olevet.

KC//CRIMSON
8/22/2010, 04:23 PM

I see your lototomy is working overtime again.

MR2-Sooner86
8/22/2010, 04:28 PM
I see your lototomy is working overtime again.

How so?

N*gger refers to the color black. Is there anything wrong with the color black? Nope not at all. H*nky though is a very demeaning term and should be outlawed. All I'm saying.

GKeeper316
8/22/2010, 04:29 PM
its funny that black people don't see the inherent racism when they get all bent out of shape when a white guy says ******, but freely allow their fellow black folks to say it with impunity.

stoopified
8/22/2010, 04:57 PM
I don't know her and don't really care wether she was fired or notas I have never listened to her BUT she is right ;N I G G E R is not an issue when he is spoken or written by someone of African heritage,it is only an issue whe used by whitey or a Caucasian Kike like me.

jkjsooner
8/22/2010, 08:03 PM
I think it has everything to do with what you said.

And to simply say "it doesn't seem fair" is pretty lame. You either denounce it, or you don't. And frankly, you don't.

No, it doesn't have anything to do with what I was saying. You took my analogy and made a completely different point. You make sense but I'm under no more obligation to comment and confirm your opinions than you were to comment on mine.

Let me spell it out since you obviously don't understand. I used the analogy to show that a saying used within a group (whether it be ethnic or within your family or fraternity or whatever) has a different significance than when used by an outsider.

Get it? I was making no statement about how the comments are perceived by others. You make a good point but your insistence than I'm obligated to worship your intellect is misguided. If you want to discuss my point then do so. If you want to make another point then fine but don't throw it back at me as if you're right and I'm wrong.

jkjsooner
8/22/2010, 08:10 PM

Would have been interesting had they chosen someone who was a little more attractive. I guess that wasn't the point...

picasso
8/22/2010, 08:49 PM
Would have been interesting had they chosen someone who was a little more attractive. I guess that wasn't the point...

That's Lenny Kravitz' mom and not a good pic.

yermom
8/22/2010, 09:41 PM
heh, Al Roker's cousin

SanJoaquinSooner
8/23/2010, 12:25 AM
Her mistake was apologizing.

Her bigger mistake was letting her boyfriend take those nude photos of her when she was in college. In the early days of Al Gore's invention, they were posted which led to:

1. an impotence epidemic

2. the trend toward female pubic grooming

Leroy Lizard
8/23/2010, 01:23 AM
That's Lenny Kravitz' mom and not a good pic.

The lady is freaking ugly. How they picked her for the show I have no idea.

Dr. Laura's Ph.D. is in physiology, btw.

KC//CRIMSON
8/23/2010, 04:08 PM
How so?

N*gger refers to the color black. Is there anything wrong with the color black? Nope not at all. H*nky though is a very demeaning term and should be outlawed. All I'm saying.

I believe the word you're trying to use is negro, not the other. The other word is only used in a derogatory manner by inbred racists.

C&CDean
8/23/2010, 04:11 PM
I believe the word you're trying to use is negro, not the other. The other word is only used in a derogatory manner by inbred racists.

Well them and every rap singer and black male from 8-40 years old.

Leroy Lizard
8/23/2010, 05:05 PM

Even Aunt Esther was more attractive.

Leroy Lizard
8/23/2010, 05:06 PM

Someone cue the rap lyrics. (Didn't I post some just a few weeks ago?)

KC//CRIMSON
8/23/2010, 07:20 PM
Well them and every rap singer and black male from 8-40 years old.

I guess when someone yanks you out of your home and takes you to a foreign country and forces you to do slave labor and take away your rights, you can do that.

GKeeper316
8/23/2010, 07:29 PM
I guess when someone yanks you out of your home and takes you to a foreign country and forces you to do slave labor and take away your rights, you can do that.

find me one living american who was yanked out of his home and forced to do slave labor.

trying to play the slavery card in 2010 doesnt hold water.

in all honesty, the decendents of slaves in america are still a **** ton better off than if their ancestors had never left africa.

KC//CRIMSON
8/23/2010, 07:46 PM
find me one living american who was yanked out of his home and forced to do slave labor.

trying to play the slavery card in 2010 doesnt hold water.

in all honesty, the decendents of slaves in america are still a **** ton better off than if their ancestors had never left africa.

Here's the deal, if they want to call themselves that, that's their business. It doesn't matter what they call each other, it only matters what YOU/WE/US call them.

And it wasn't a slavery card, everyone makes arguments that deal with the past. How many times have you heard people schit and moan about the right to bear rpg's because of what some founding father said how many years ago?

jkjsooner
8/23/2010, 08:11 PM

I've heard debates on this and from my limited experience African Americans find this argument to be extremely insulting. It definitely has a bit of Eurocentricism (maybe not exactly the word I'm looking for) with a tinge of big brother (as in we know what is best for you) thrown in.

From a purely economic standpoint you are correct. However, people of African decent lost a lot in the process (family, culture, tradition, etc).

I also question why it is necessary to make that statement. It seems to be an attempt to at least partially justify slavery or at least to minimize the significance of it.

Booker T Washington did make that exact same claim you made but I have yet to hear a modern African American agree to it.

Leroy Lizard
8/23/2010, 08:13 PM

These rap artists had that done to them? My apologies to them. I didn't realize. :rolleyes:

GKeeper316
8/23/2010, 08:15 PM
I've heard debates on this and from my limited experience African Americans find this argument to be extremely insulting. It definitely has a bit of Eurocentricism (maybe not exactly the word I'm looking for) with a tinge of big brother (as in we know what is best for you) thrown in.

From a purely economic standpoint you are correct. However, people of African decent lost a lot in the process (family, culture, tradition, etc).

I also question why it is necessary to make that statement. It seems to be an attempt to at least partially justify slavery or at least to minimize the significance of it.

Booker T Washington did make that exact same claim you made but I have yet to hear a modern African American agree to it.

modern african culture at its finest?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38814397/ns/world_news-africa/?gt1=43001

Leroy Lizard
8/23/2010, 08:16 PM
And it wasn't a slavery card, everyone makes arguments that deal with the past.

You didn't just make an argument that dealt with the past, you made a stupid statement.

KC//CRIMSON
8/23/2010, 08:17 PM
You didn't just make an argument that dealt with the past, you made a stupid statement.

And yet, I'm still brighter than you.

Leroy Lizard
8/23/2010, 08:19 PM
modern african culture at its finest?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38814397/ns/world_news-africa/?gt1=43001

Four young boys also were raped, said Dr. Kasimbo Charles Kacha, the district medical chief. Masudi said they were babies aged one month, six months, a year and 18 months.

:eek:

Leroy Lizard
8/23/2010, 08:20 PM
And yet, I'm still brighter than you.

I don't think you're brighter than anyone on this board. And I mean that seriously.

KC//CRIMSON
8/23/2010, 08:21 PM
I don't think you're brighter than anyone on this board. And I mean that seriously.

and you wonder why people would rather you go DIAF than post in your self pity thread.

Leroy Lizard
8/23/2010, 08:23 PM
and you wonder why people would rather you go DIAF than post in your self pity thread.

I'm so hurt. Now, back to your statement that Blacks today have been ripped from their homes and forced to do slave labor. You still defending this one?

KC//CRIMSON
8/23/2010, 08:24 PM
I'm so hurt. Now, back to your statement that black's today have been ripped from their homes and forced to do slave labor. You still defending this one?

Oh, I know you're hurting, you said as much in your self pity thread.

Leroy Lizard
8/23/2010, 08:29 PM
Oh, I know you're hurting, you said as much in your self pity thread.

So tell us about all these Blacks who have been taken from their homes and forced into slave labor.

KC//CRIMSON
8/23/2010, 08:31 PM
So tell us about all these Blacks who have been taken from their homes and forced into slave labor.

Yeah, that's what I was saying, nice catch.

soonerhubs
8/23/2010, 08:42 PM
NM

yermom
8/23/2010, 08:42 PM
whatever, honkey

KC//CRIMSON
8/23/2010, 08:44 PM
Leroy has no dick. Maybe he'll start another self pity thread about it?

Leroy Lizard
8/23/2010, 08:51 PM
Dear all of ya,

You're a bunch a childish morons bickering. Can we please all stop the dick-measuring for once and pretend like we don't need to project all of our pathetic *** insecurities onto the world wide web?

Does that mean we don't get to uncover the identities of all these blacks who have been ripped from their homes to perform slave labor?

Well, okay.

soonerhubs
8/23/2010, 08:53 PM
Ah... to be ten again.

Leroy Lizard
8/23/2010, 08:57 PM
It keeps us young.