PDA

View Full Version : NFL Jerseys at OU Games

OU Engineer
8/20/2010, 08:14 AM
Can we all agree to NOT wear NFL jerseys at games this year? I love Sam and AD and Gerald as much as the next guy and want them to do well, but our colors are crimson and cream, not purple or blue and gold.

It really bugs me to see those purple specks in a beautiful sea of red and white. Now I know I'll be dealing with blue as well...

badger
8/20/2010, 08:15 AM
Can we all agree to NOT wear NFL jerseys at games this year? I love Sam and AD and Gerald as much as the next guy and want them to do well, but our colors are crimson and cream, not purple or blue and gold.

It really bugs me to see those purple specks in a beautiful sea of red and white. Now I know I'll be dealing with blue as well...

Not a fan of Vikings either, but it's gonna happen. Just be glad that there will only be a handful of Texas fans that blatantly walk around Norman on gameday (yes, the cockroches are everywhere)

Half a Hundred
8/20/2010, 08:37 AM
I'm ok with it while they're in the league - it's like displaying a trophy about your program's success. After they retire, though, it shouldn't be done.

goingoneight
8/20/2010, 08:43 AM
I think wearing a Sam jersey is another way of sticking it to the Texas fans. Remember the hundred page thread at hornfans saying he was gonna suck, live in Colt's shadow for four years and that the coaches were stupid for recruiting as well as starting a three star QB?
Just thinking about Sam's short career here makes me :) when I remember that thread. :D

w0lfe
8/20/2010, 08:45 AM
I would prefer to have nothing but the sea of crimson and cream spread across the stadium. It always looks so rich and classy and screams tradition

Mad Dog Madsen
8/20/2010, 08:58 AM
I'm ok with the NFL jersey's. Now the people I see wearing black and pink and all that other stuff is another thing...

Mississippi Sooner
8/20/2010, 09:04 AM
I'm one of those who would prefer to see nothing but crimson. I understand taking pride in Sam and the others, but I'd prefer if people would just wear OU jersey's with their OU numbers.

But yeah, even NFL jerseys are preferable to people who show up in colors totally unrelated to anything.

Sooner in Tampa
8/20/2010, 09:17 AM
My #1 pet peeve is sporting events where people are sporting jerseys/game gear from teams that are NOT even partcipating in the game. Jack asses who wear Steelers jerseys to a Tampa Bay vs. Carolina...WTF dude?

At a college game...NOTHING is cooler than seeing the stands filled with the home team's colors. I think it is one of the things that makes college athletics special.

texaspokieokie
8/20/2010, 09:19 AM
i say "wear whatever you want" !!!!!!!!!

badger
8/20/2010, 09:22 AM
At a college game...NOTHING is cooler than seeing the stands filled with the home team's colors. I think it is one of the things that makes college athletics special.

Dress code at Oklahoma Memorial Stadium! ALL spectators must wear OU colors!

:P especially opposing fans :P

rawlingsHOH
8/20/2010, 09:29 AM
I never really got into the phenomenon of "team colors", that seemed to start taking place in the early 90s. Before that, people used to just wear whatever they wanted to the games. I like that.

Boomer.....
8/20/2010, 09:39 AM
I'm not necessarily one of them but there are a lot of people who wear gray OU shirts to the games.

Mississippi Sooner
8/20/2010, 09:44 AM
I never really got into the phenomenon of "team colors", that seemed to start taking place in the early 90s. Before that, people used to just wear whatever they wanted to the games. I like that.

Just a theory on my part, but I think it might have coincided with most of the games being televised. Yeah, I remember back in the 70s, it seemed like everyone just wore whatever was comfortable. I think when everyone became aware of how a stadium full of school colors looked on tv, everyone started doing it. The effect at the RRS, with half the stadium crimson and the other half orange, is still stunning.

bent rider
8/20/2010, 09:46 AM
You gotta support your team.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/20/2010, 09:50 AM
I wear gray t shirts, whatever...I don't wear jerseys at all, the only ones I own are game worns that are put up....

I did a scientific study that showed my shirt choice had no effect on regular season games...but it did during bowl games til I broke the curse in the sun bowl

soonerborn30
8/20/2010, 09:52 AM
I'm ok with the NFL jersey's. Now the people I see wearing black and pink and all that other stuff is another thing...

I personally blame Fred Durst for this.

And it annoys the hell out of me too. We aren't pink, why do we have pink shirts? At no time has our school color been "green camo" so why do we have OU hats in camo?

And really, you can't find a red shirt to go to the game in?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_6bw5m6fZShI/SxcgIDMZ4WI/AAAAAAAACt4/VLQyIizXxV8/s400/ed+lover+come+on+son.jpg

Mississippi Sooner
8/20/2010, 09:54 AM
The camo thing I sure don't go for. I know it's maybe supposed to appeal to the rednecks, but all I think of is the stunt they pulled at ThugU back in the day.

texaspokieokie
8/20/2010, 09:55 AM
as i dress to go to OU games; i've never thot about how i was gonna look on tv.

i agree about the OU/tx game, red should be worn.

even horn fans should wear red.

Mississippi Sooner
8/20/2010, 09:57 AM
Everyone who goes to the RRS should help out the horn fans. Bring along some extra red shirts just for them. I know they'd appreciate it.

rawlingsHOH
8/20/2010, 11:09 AM
And really, you can't find a red shirt to go to the game in?

I don't have many red shirts. My t-shirts are mainly white/grey/black/navy. I'm very boring evidently.

budbarrybob
8/20/2010, 11:34 AM
No purple, green, yellow, orange or blue. Otherwise I dun care.

DakotaSooner
8/20/2010, 12:05 PM
The camo thing I sure don't go for. I know it's maybe supposed to appeal to the rednecks, but all I think of is the stunt they pulled at ThugU back in the day.

I own an OU camo hat. It is hunting camo rather than army camo so it doesn't remind me of Miami at all.

Mississippi Sooner
8/20/2010, 12:06 PM
I own an OU camo hat. It is hunting camo rather than army camo so it doesn't remind me of Miami at all.

Yeah, hunting camo is cool. Especially if it's got that RealTree effect.

Mississippi Sooner
8/20/2010, 12:07 PM
Ehhh. My post count has gone way up the last few days. I really need to find something to do.

goingoneight
8/20/2010, 12:17 PM
I always tell people at the RRS, if you end up on the opposite side of the stadium, wear a white team shirt. If you're a Sooner on the orange side, you'll enjoy the game without Dr Pepper thrown on you, and if you're an asswad on the beautiful side of the stadium, you won't pollute the crimson crowd with your diaper surprise orange.

Jacie
8/20/2010, 12:27 PM

Yeah, those of us who wore team colors before then did so because pretty much all of us were unable to distinguish between red and green . . .

What is it with you young uns? Do you think OU football was something they invented when you enrolled? I don't want to burst your balloon but more than a few people have been going to games decked out in crimson and cream (with all the variations) for a long time.

SouthFortySooner
8/20/2010, 04:27 PM
I used to think everyone at the game was on this board but I did the math.

CrimsonCommando
8/20/2010, 04:31 PM
I wear black on the outside, because black is how I feel on the inside.

Mad Dog Madsen
8/20/2010, 04:33 PM
I wear black on the outside, because black is how I feel on the inside.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_neU2mR_Rtm4/R5MAI4q8-fI/AAAAAAAAASk/EC5hUqsCZYQ/s400/simpsons_nelson_haha2.jpg

webfoot
8/20/2010, 06:29 PM
I'm one of those who would prefer to see nothing but crimson. I understand taking pride in Sam and the others, but I'd prefer if people would just wear OU jersey's with their OU numbers.

But yeah, even NFL jerseys are preferable to people who show up in colors totally unrelated to anything.

+1...and nothing but white at away games.

SunnySooner
8/20/2010, 07:12 PM
IDK, I have mixed feelings...I love seeing the blimp shots like this...

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f127/wrestlechick13/OUmemorialstadium.jpg
where it's a sea of crimson, but I could see where having all those NFL jerseys walking around might be impressive to recruits? Who knows.

The only game I went to where I committed the sin of wearing neither team's colors was the 2008 Gator Bowl, Nebbish v. Clemson. This was just a few days before the MNC game, so I wore an OU shirt, as I had pretty much the whole month before here in His Tebowness's hometown, and I had so much fun. Anytime I would go to get a beer or do what happens as a direct result of drinking a lot of beer, either a Corn Child would stop me to make sure I was a "Husker for a Day", (I was), or the Clemson folks would stop me and tell me they were cheering for us to kill FU. And then, of course, all the Gator fans who were loving that here was an actual Sooner who even knew a little about the teams that they could talk smack with. Apparently, it was all supposed to be over by the first quarter, their speed would shock and awe us. Well, we all know how that game turned out, but I still had a LOT of fun at that game, apparently, an OU shirt brings out strong opinions, amazing.

So, I know it bugs people when others do that, but I did have a lot of fun. It would bug me during a regular season game, I think, but bowl games are supposed to be crazy match-ups that would otherwise never happen, and I think "non" school shirts at those games can be fun.

And I'm a girl, and I hate the pink OU stuff. PINK? Really? Yeah, on my 5 year old, it looks adorable--with OU all over it? Blech.

Crucifax Autumn
8/20/2010, 07:17 PM
Camo at the game is stupid. The poor players think no one showed up.

StoopTroup
8/20/2010, 07:41 PM
Also....if you plan ahead a bit....you can find crimson rain suits. Anyone wearing a $0.99 cent Yellow Walmart Rain Tarp should be made to take it off and stand in the rain without or go Home.

Here the example...

http://www.eventchaser.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/ousoonerand-ba-cheer-026.jpg

At the very least go with something clear...

http://www.eventchaser.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/ousoonerand-ba-cheer-034.jpg

texaspokieokie
8/21/2010, 03:43 PM
go with what you have.

don't care what others wear.

badger
8/21/2010, 03:58 PM
I think OU crowds look funny in the rain. It's much better to stand in the rain in a blue raincoat than see the stands empty out, like you see at so many other colleges.

Anthony Kim came to OU because of blue raincoats :D

Crucifax Autumn
8/21/2010, 05:12 PM
That clear one looks like a giant condom.