PDA

View Full Version : Late Edition: Scrimage Today

oudavid1
8/19/2010, 11:32 PM
http://newsok.com/ou-football-notebook-qb-landry-jones-not-pleased-with-scrimmage/article/3486848?custom_click=lead_story_title

I like what Landry and Stoops said.

Crucifax Autumn
8/19/2010, 11:36 PM
I do too. Sad footnote on Whitney Hand though.

Crucifax Autumn
8/19/2010, 11:37 PM
To expand on that I like that even though Landry was good enough for Stoops, he's not satisfied with himself. That tells me he's gonna keep working hard and not just settle for good enough.

oudavid1
8/19/2010, 11:38 PM
To expand on that I like that even though Landry was good enough for Stoops, he's not satisfied with himself. That tells me he's gonna keep working hard and not just settle for good enough.

Do you know how to make the contents of the Article come up when i post the link?

Crucifax Autumn
8/19/2010, 11:43 PM
I'd just quote it:

Sooner quarterback Landry Jones was not pleased with how he played in OU's scrimmage Thursday.

"I didn't play very well in the scrimmage," Jones said. "I had a lot of mental busts. I have to come back and keep working, keep striving. Put it in the back of my mind, forget about this one and get better."

The 90-play closed scrimmage was OU's final one scheduled for the preseason.

Highlights of the scrimmage included a long bomb to freshman wideout Joe Powell. But after scoring on the opening drive, the offense struggled to get going, Jones said.

"We still had too many penalties," Jones said. "We gotta be better. I have to be clean, can't have those mental mistakes."

Coach Bob Stoops, however, wasn't nearly as hard on his quarterback.

"He's looked good. Strong," Stoops said. "Throwing a great ball, making good decisions. We're happy with him. Been a good leader."

Stoops, however, wasn't as pleased when asked about the consistency of his wide receivers, outside Ryan Broyles and a couple of freshmen.

"So far, they've just been OK," he said. "Ryan Broyles has been really good. Kenny Stills has come on. We need some other guys to be more consistent. Joe Powell is making a move, doing some good things. Those two (Stills and Powell) seem to stand out the most. Guys that have played need to play better."

Receivers working the tennis ball drill

Since the summer, the wide receivers have caught hundreds of balls each day after workouts or practice.

But not necessarily footballs.

Instead, the receivers have brought out the tennis ball machine.

"Hurts your hands," Broyles said. "You get hit in the throat, the lip trying to catch those balls coming out of that thing."

Broyles said the receivers have caught about 3,500 tennis balls so far, and get the drill in before and after practice.

"We used to be the first group out," Broyles said. "Now, we're out there with the defensive line," a unit that notoriously stays out late to get in extra work with line coach Jackie Shipp.

Jones sorry for Whitney Hand

The Sooner women's basketball team got some bad news this week, with star guard Whitney Hand undergoing microfracture knee surgery, which will sideline her for five more months. She missed almost all of last season with a torn ACL.

Hand has been dating Jones for more than a year now.

"One of the sucky things that happens to a good person," Jones said. "Don't understand it. She'll be all right. She'll rehab and be back strong."

oudavid1
8/19/2010, 11:47 PM
So copy and paste?

Crucifax Autumn
8/19/2010, 11:55 PM
yeah, most times people post the link and then post the text inside of quote tags. You just have to look carefully at the paste so you don't clutter it with links and captions and crap and look stupid.

Be warned however that for some reason some people get annoyed by pasting really LONG articles. This applies more in the South Oval than sports forums, but just keep i mind that some dooshes will act indignant if you save them the trouble of popping up another window or tab.

KantoSooner
8/20/2010, 10:15 AM
Anyone else think that Landry is making a joke back at Christian Ponder? "Oh, we suck." "No, no, WE suck worse." "NO WE SUCK worse".
It's kind of like Landry is making fun of Ponder's poor mouthing. And I think he's a smart enough guy (and I'd like to believe enough of a smart ***) to do just that.
Fear the 'stache, indeed!

stoops the eternal pimp
8/20/2010, 10:17 AM
You could have put this in the sticky'd pre season practice thread but its good stuff

gaylordfan1
8/20/2010, 10:34 AM
Well, this isn't what I wanted to hear from LJ this close to the season. It also sound Norvell is a little concerned with our receivers other than Broyles and a couple of freshmen. I wonder how they really look.

rawlingsHOH
8/20/2010, 11:10 AM
Well, this isn't what I wanted to hear from LJ this close to the season. It also sound Norvell is a little concerned with our receivers other than Broyles and a couple of freshmen. I wonder how they really look.

don't worry about dejuan. horrible practice guy, but simply a gamer.

KantoSooner
8/20/2010, 11:34 AM
A bit too late for any major rework. We'll know more in two weeks; a lot more in three....

Mississippi Sooner
8/20/2010, 11:36 AM
Yep. That scrimmage on pay per view will tell us a lot more.

gaylordfan1
8/20/2010, 11:53 AM
Sounds like R.Lewis set out of thurs scrimmage with some type of nagging injury. DOn't get pizzed off people, they said he will be ready for practice next week. OU's own Merve reported it on the sports animal this morning.

goingoneight
8/20/2010, 12:08 PM
Anyone else think that Landry is making a joke back at Christian Ponder? "Oh, we suck." "No, no, WE suck worse." "NO WE SUCK worse".
It's kind of like Landry is making fun of Ponder's poor mouthing. And I think he's a smart enough guy (and I'd like to believe enough of a smart ***) to do just that.
Fear the 'stache, indeed!

I didn't get this impression at all. I doubt he's listening to Christian Ponder anyway, though... especially 'bout practice, man... we talkin' bout practice.
No, really... LJ looked like a frustrated quarterback after a rough scrimmage. He said things started off well and then the defense began to shut them down. It was nice that he didn't go all Bomar and blame the receivers for drops and basically took the heat himself for not setting protections right. He definitely seems like a student of the game type and I saw a competitor's agony in him by not just going out there and claiming ands, ifs or buts about the offense not moving the ball well.

Mississippi Sooner
8/20/2010, 12:11 PM
There's always two ways to look at it, too. Perhaps our defense is just that good.

IronHorseSooner
8/20/2010, 12:26 PM
There's always two ways to look at it, too. Perhaps our defense is just that good.

You know, it might be that OUr new CBs had a good scrimmage, and OUr pass rush looked really good. Everybody's hyper-sensitive about the OL and WRs.

goingoneight
8/20/2010, 12:26 PM
Well, would you like to look at it that way as a fan? Yes... as a QB? When your offense lines up, you want to execute. I like that about his attitude. Heupel was that way... his own worst critic. Sam, JW and PT were all just kinda the "I'm over it, let's just get out there and do better next time."

either attitude is better than pointing fingers.

oudavid1
8/20/2010, 01:58 PM
Everybody's hyper-sensitive about the OL and WRs.

Basically the best quote of the off-season

KantoSooner
8/20/2010, 02:05 PM
I didn't get this impression at all. I doubt he's listening to Christian Ponder anyway, though... especially 'bout practice, man... we talkin' bout practice.
No, really... LJ looked like a frustrated quarterback after a rough scrimmage. He said things started off well and then the defense began to shut them down. It was nice that he didn't go all Bomar and blame the receivers for drops and basically took the heat himself for not setting protections right. He definitely seems like a student of the game type and I saw a competitor's agony in him by not just going out there and claiming ands, ifs or buts about the offense not moving the ball well.

Oh well, so much for my comment. You saw it, I didn't. Dayum work. Always interfering with my football life. Got rid of the wife, now it looks like I'll have to get rid of the job, too.

oudavid1
8/20/2010, 02:13 PM

Lets hope so, cause the offense has to be better in my eyes.

htownsooner7
8/20/2010, 03:59 PM

Particularly at this point in practice, the defense is way ahead of its own offense. They know the formations, they know the signal calling, they know the tendencies. When I was playing in high school, I remember our qb audibling to a run from a pass and our safety and lb literally walking over to the hole where we were going to go. It sucked, but there was nothing we could do.

oudavid1
8/20/2010, 05:59 PM
Particularly at this point in practice, the defense is way ahead of its own offense. They know the formations, they know the signal calling, they know the tendencies. When I was playing in high school, I remember our qb audibling to a run from a pass and our safety and lb literally walking over to the hole where we were going to go. It sucked, but there was nothing we could do.

Lol same thing, our best DTackle knew our entire play calling structure, so when i was calling protections he would always be ready. The funny thing and luck for me was that the other QBs would always go on 1. So i would go on 2 and he would always jump.....so while he ways running around the goal post i would get to play against the second team.