PDA

View Full Version : CRAP! I just found 1 of my dogs dead

stoopified
8/19/2010, 11:12 PM
I wentout to feed my dogs Bubba(7 yr old German Shepherd) and Jill (11 1/2 yr old Cocker mix) and found Jill dead.I am glad my boys Ryan(6) and Jason (3) were in bed asleep.I think I'll wait until after I call Animal Control in the morning to get the body before I tell them. I have the feeling I won't be sleeping much tonite.

Soonerus
8/19/2010, 11:15 PM
Sorry man, that is a tough deal, especially with kids...

olevetonahill
8/19/2010, 11:30 PM
Bad news
Hope the Kids take it ok .

Crucifax Autumn
8/19/2010, 11:39 PM
That really sucks, particularly for the kids.

OUHOMER
8/20/2010, 05:11 AM
Sorry to hear that....

stoops the eternal pimp
8/20/2010, 08:24 AM
That sucks man..sorry

Boomer.....
8/20/2010, 08:35 AM
Sad deal. Sorry to hear that. It's always hard to lose a pet.

BillyBall
8/20/2010, 08:48 AM
Sorry to hear about that, losing pets is ****ing heart wrenching.

King Crimson
8/20/2010, 09:01 AM
rip Jill.

texaspokieokie
8/20/2010, 09:12 AM
sorry to hear about your dog.
i remember when we lost our last dog; it's mighty tough !!
plenty of sympathy from me !!!!

stoopified
8/20/2010, 11:52 AM
Thanks to all for the kind words.Animal Control came and got Jill about 820 AM ,so my boys didn't have to see her like that.When my oldest gets home from his 2nd day of first grade today ,I'll have to break the news to Ryan and Jason both.Knowing how reslient kids are, they will proably be OK after this weekend.

Poor Bubba is lost,he was about 8 weeks old or so when we got him and he instantly imprinted on Jill as Momma.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/20/2010, 11:55 AM
we went through this a couple of months ago with my sheepdog..my kids are 6 and 4...They cried, and since they were still up, came out and said goodbye to the dog...but they were fine the next day..They still mention him a lot, but they aren't sad..

I buried mine in the back yard so that I could hurry up and get him in the ground though....that was a long night

Lott's Bandana
8/20/2010, 12:05 PM
I presume Ryan hasn't known life without Jill around. 11+ years is a good run and he'll have good memories. Bubba will likely be Jason's Jill and in a few years know more about the loss Ryan is going to experience.

Hard to lose family members, but I was glad to read your post about their resiliency.

stoopified
8/20/2010, 01:44 PM
I presume Ryan hasn't known life without Jill around. 11+ years is a good run and he'll have good memories. Bubba will likely be Jason's Jill and in a few years know more about the loss Ryan is going to experience.

Hard to lose family members, but I was glad to read your post about their resiliency.Very true...sad but true.

jkjsooner
8/20/2010, 01:59 PM
Sorry to hear that. It is very tough.

Be grateful that nature said it was time and that she had a healthy life up until the end (I presume). Having to make the decision yourself if extremely hard.

I had to put down my GSD because he had degenerative myelopathy. We let it go for a couple of years and I think he had a quality of life most of the time. At one point he laid in the same spot for 3 consecutive days peeing on himself. He couldn't get up and wouldn't let me pick him up. It was time but I still remember him licking me and generally being happy in the car on the way to the vet.

Jacie
8/20/2010, 08:38 PM
The last pet we lost (besides tropical fish) was one of our cats and we think she was taken by coyotes (no body was found after hearing one loud screech outside the house the night she failed to come home). Youngest daughter, in highschool at the time, rationalized (to this day) that kitty is on vacation.

And about that damn cat, we got her through the local SPCA, which means she was fixed. Okay, but she still still liked to go out with the tomcats (seems everyone on our road has one of those). By contrast, our other fixed female feline won't have a thing to do with other cats. The one that went missing, we used to see her coming out of the tall grass, a tom following, all the time. This cat also had, well, breasts. They were the last pair towards the rear of the cat but they hung down. Never saw anything like it on a cat unless it was nursing a litter, which this cat never had the opportunity. Could they have missed getting some of her female parts when she was spayed? This cat also would sometimes emit a musky scent, really liked to rub it on you when she was feeling affectionate. I used to call her our four-legged sl*t. Can cats be only partially spayed?

StoopTroup
8/20/2010, 08:46 PM
Buddy of mine lost a hound dawg about a month ago. They called Animal Control and were told that Tulsa's Animal Control only picks up twice a week now. The poor old Dawg layed out there for 4 days...got all bloated up and was a constant reminder of Death every time you went near it. The body got all bloated up and then Nature started taking it's course on it.

The day they said they only do pickups twice a day wasn't one of the days they said they make their runs but yet...I saw one of the trucks sitting over at one of the City's Areas with the driver in it and the truck running.

I'm pretty sure our Mayor's heart is in the right place cutting back on things but I'm not convinced he really is going to ever make a difference long term. I do have to say that I can't remember the amount of street repairs ever being done in our fair City like what is currently underway. It would seem that he is the first Mayor of Tulsa to ever really take on our sad infrastructure.

Sorry about your dog.

soonerborn30
8/20/2010, 10:06 PM
Sorry to hear about the dog, man. I recently lost mine, and it was hard to explain to a three year old. She still asks about him, but she's not sad.