PDA

View Full Version : Percy Harvin Taken to Hospital

Lott's Bandana
8/19/2010, 03:21 PM
Hoping he is okay and returns to the field soon:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp10/news/story?id=5476849

From AP: (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/min/minnesota-vikings)

(http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/min/minnesota-vikings)

Minnesota Vikings (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/min/minnesota-vikings) wide receiver Percy Harvin (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=12569) was taken to a hospital by ambulance after collapsing at Thursday's practice, and coach Brad Childress said Harvin suffered another migraine headache attack.
Harvin, who has dealt with migraines most of his life, has been unable to practice for most of training camp because of the headaches and their debilitating symptoms.

Harvin returned to the field on Monday after missing more than two weeks, but at the beginning of Thursday's workout he experienced another episode that was scary enough for the Vikings to halt practice while their teammate received medical attention.
Childress said that Harvin's episode was triggered when he looked up into a mostly cloudy sky to field a punt during a special teams drill. Harvin went inside to see team physician Dr. Sheldon Burns, then came back out to the field.
At that point, Harvin doubled over and was seen trembling, before players and coaches stood in front of him for privacy while reporters watched from a distance.
"I don't know how they classify it," Childress said. "Not really a seizure, but he had some trouble over here. I'd be remiss if I tried to qualify it one way or another. It seemed like he was stable."
The Vikings continued with practice for about five minutes while Harvin was being worked on, then drills were stopped while the situation was sorted out. After Harvin was loaded into the ambulance, the Vikings gathered on the field and took a knee in prayer. They resumed their work for a few more minutes before calling practice over at least an hour early.
The ambulance did not leave right away after Harvin was loaded, and it left without sirens sounding or lights flashing. Though the situation didn't appear grave, it was clearly somber.
"Obviously that one hit, and it hit hard," Childress said. "It's always scary for all of our guys when you see a teammate struggling with whatever."

Lott's Bandana
8/19/2010, 03:22 PM
I never did dislike this guy, even when he was a Gator...very talented and perhaps REALLY as fast as they claimed.

rawlingsHOH
8/19/2010, 03:24 PM
I can't see his career going on much further.

Lott's Bandana
8/19/2010, 03:32 PM
I've never had migraines.

Some of the headaches I have had would have made me cry if I had to mow my lawn, much less play professional football.

I can't even imagine.

Tigeman
8/19/2010, 03:34 PM
I can't see his career going on much further.

Not necessarily. I get migraines quite often, and have even had them send me into convulsions. Just one of those things. Can't really fight it, or do much about it. But it's not gonna hurt ya, other than the immediate pain. If that's all it turns out to be, there's nothing that would keep him from continuing, other than coaches getting pissed at him missing practices/games due to them.

rawlingsHOH
8/19/2010, 03:57 PM
Not necessarily. I get migraines quite often, and have even had them send me into convulsions. Just one of those things. Can't really fight it, or do much about it. But it's not gonna hurt ya, other than the immediate pain. If that's all it turns out to be, there's nothing that would keep him from continuing, other than coaches getting pissed at him missing practices/games due to them.

It just seems like he missed about half of his rookie year (practices) due to them.

SouthFortySooner
8/19/2010, 03:59 PM
Worked in med clinic for 30 years. Nothing caused me to be moved with compassion more than migraine sufferers.

ouleaf
8/19/2010, 04:02 PM
Feel bad for the kid. That must suck. I get in a bad mood when I get a simple headache. I can't imagine being completely shut down by one. The worst part about it is there really isn't a whole lot you can do about it. Some people are just predisposed to having them.

Soonermagik
8/19/2010, 04:04 PM
I hope he makes a 100% recovery.

KantoSooner
8/19/2010, 04:12 PM
I had migraines during one period of my life and they suck. Made me want to put a tourniquet on my head.
No way he can do much of anything when they strike.

(well, vomiting, moaning and pressing your temples against hard objects are still available, but don't get first downs.)

BillyBall
8/19/2010, 04:29 PM
I had migraines during one period of my life and they suck. Made me want to put a tourniquet on my head.
No way he can do much of anything when they strike.

(well, vomiting, moaning and pressing your temples against hard objects are still available, but don't get first downs.)

Yeah I get about 3 a year and they completely debilitate me. The best part is when you feel one coming on and you totally lose all of your peripheral sight and there are splotches in the tunnel vision that you now have...

That's when it's time to go lay in complete darkness with a cold rag over your eyes that you want to rip out.

yermom
8/19/2010, 04:31 PM
I never did dislike this guy, even when he was a Gator...very talented and perhaps REALLY as fast as they claimed.

yeah. he really did do sick things with the ball in his hand. i think i hated the Gators more for having him :D

oumartin
8/19/2010, 04:46 PM
I had them about 10 years. Through high school and into my twenties and I could always tell when I was getting one because my face would go numb and I would start slurring and trying to say one thing and something totally different would come out. Man they would kick my butt so bad that nothing worked but a cold dark room and rest. My doctor finally made me do a scan and luckily they found nothing. He then put me on 800mg of ibuprofin and anytime I felt a little tingle or thought I might be getting one I would run and take a pill. Once I got my eyesight figured out with the proper eye doctor I quit having them.

I think I've had one in the last ten years.

I feel the boys pain.

badger
8/19/2010, 04:50 PM
when you see a teammate struggling with whatever
The word "whatever" in any context really makes you sound like you don't care. Childress probably should have chosen other words, but I won't accuse him of being a smart man.

In any even, hope Percy is all right.

TMcGee86
8/19/2010, 05:32 PM
Has he ever missed a game because of this?

olevetonahill
8/19/2010, 05:53 PM
Hell My ex wife used to get em regular( I prolly caused em :D )

anyway after we devorced , she just went ahead and had a Brain blowout. they did skull surgery on her and shes fine now
The only bad part about the surgery . They dint snip that Bitch cord in there :eek:

Crucifax Autumn
8/19/2010, 06:09 PM
I hope 80 of them get migraines!

badger
8/19/2010, 06:43 PM
AD and others talk about Percy:
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5477255

NormanPride
8/19/2010, 07:47 PM
Childress is an ***, and everyone knows he's gone after Favre is done and they start losing again because of him.

Hope Percy gets better soon. Dude needs some weed like they gave him at Florida. :D

delhalew
8/19/2010, 11:06 PM
Has he ever missed a game because of this?

He missed one last year. I know it's different severity for different people, but he seems to get em worse than anyone I've known. I do know when some a hole says "ahh man I got a migraine dude" they need their *** kicked. From the people I have known that get them, if your not crying and trying crawl into a dark hole, you don't have a migraine.
Seems like he should never go outside without pitch black shades and the Vikings should get boy a special visor. Otherwise, I don't see how he can keep it up. Light obviously sets him off. I have heard of these lasting for days. That would be a special kind of hell.
Anyway, get better Percy.

rawlingsHOH
8/20/2010, 12:05 AM
He was the MVP in the game against OU, regardless of the media giving it to Tebow. It would have been a rout had Harvin not cut us up. He absolutely abused Balogun. Tebow had no answers in the first half.

RedstickSooner
8/20/2010, 08:45 AM
Migraines are teh suck.

Lucky for me, I get them rarely. Thing I never understood was how blase doctors tend to be about 'em. I've had migraines, and I've had kidney stones, and they're pretty close in pain intensity. But up until the big pharma companies started coming out with custom-made migraine treatments, most docs just told you to lie down, take a couple tylenol, and keep the room dark.

Whenever I got 'em, back before I got on the uber-expensive migraine pills, I always used to wish I could drill a hole in my head and open some valve let out all the pressure. (Though, apparently, they're usually caused by a *drop* in pressure, not an increase. So had I drilled a hole in my head, I would've just made things worse. The lesson I take away from all that is that home brain surgery simply isn't a good idea, no matter how tempted you might be.)

Hope he's alright, though I got awful sick of hearing how he could make the planet spin backward if he wanted to, just by running circles around it.

Still doesn't mean I wish physical harm on him. I try to restrict that to USC players and Touchdown Jesus. Yeah, I know, that's wrong of me. Meh.

BillyBall
8/20/2010, 08:47 AM
Maybe that's another reason that he likes to smoke dope.

badger
8/20/2010, 09:20 AM
ESPN's continuous Favre coverage now confirms what I said earlier - Childress is an idiot and that's why Favre was hesitant to return (as well as his usual delay tactics)

Childress apparently lied to the team about Longwell, Allen and the third guy (guard, can't remember his name) going to fetch Favre. He told the team - and had others lie for them too - that they were still at the team facility.

Of course, as part of ESPN's 24/7 Favre coverage, every Vikings player could see that was false and that they were en route to Mississippi.

Long post short, Childress doesn't deserve talented players like Percy Harvin, AD, et al. I saw his interview regarding Percy yesterday - he sounded like he wasnt concerned, or worse, didn't care.

KantoSooner
8/20/2010, 09:24 AM
Childress is an ***, and everyone knows he's gone after Favre is done and they start losing again because of him.

Hope Percy gets better soon. Dude needs some weed like they gave him at Florida. :D

That's actually not a bad idea. I got mine during a period in which I was quitting smoking (tobacco).
Some 'o the yerba buena might be just what Percy needs.

RedstickSooner
8/20/2010, 11:50 AM
Weed doesn't spike blood pressure, though, does it? If anything, I thought it helped reduce it in small vessels -- hence the glaucoma cure.

Maybe what the guy needs is some good, old fashioned tobacco.

soonerborn30
8/20/2010, 02:40 PM
I had them about 10 years. Through high school and into my twenties and I could always tell when I was getting one because my face would go numb and I would start slurring and trying to say one thing and something totally different would come out. Man they would kick my butt so bad that nothing worked but a cold dark room and rest. My doctor finally made me do a scan and luckily they found nothing. He then put me on 800mg of ibuprofin and anytime I felt a little tingle or thought I might be getting one I would run and take a pill. Once I got my eyesight figured out with the proper eye doctor I quit having them.

I think I've had one in the last ten years.

I feel the boys pain.

my wife had the exact same symptoms. The Dr. called it a "brain stem migraine" fwiw. Scary stuff. thought she was having a stroke.

And cannabis may not be a bad idea, actually. it's prescribed for pain and nausea all the time.