PDA

View Full Version : Equipment Experts....Small Girth Football?

OU69BeaufortCounty
8/19/2010, 10:11 AM
I always thought a football was a football and the size was fixed by NCAA specs with a +/- difference of about 1/2 inch allowed on length and diameter and an ounce in weight.

However, looking at the Baylor Visiting Team guide available at their website, they mention something like "Baylor uses the Nike 3005 Small Girth football."

Searching the web, I came up with a couple of references about USC QB's saying one used a "large girth" and another one used a "small girth".

Maybe we have an equipment manager expert on the board who can fill me in?

By the way, that Baylor guide is interesting reading...helps you realize just how involved the logistics are for putting on a big time football game.

http://www.baylorbears.com/auto_pdf/p_hotos/s_chools/bay/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/10-visitingteam-guide

Crucifax Autumn
8/19/2010, 10:24 AM
But do they make up for what they lack in girth with more length?

rawlingsHOH
8/19/2010, 10:26 AM
Yep, the NFL ball is standard, and bigger. The college models vary, that is why each offense plays with their own ball of preference.

Searching the web, I came up with a couple of references about USC QB's saying one used a "large girth" and another one used a "small girth".
Hmmmmm....

gaylordfan1
8/19/2010, 10:28 AM
One could only expect the wide range of possibilities posted after seeing the title of this thread.

:pop:

soonerloyal
8/19/2010, 12:57 PM
"It's not the girth of the football that matters, it's how well you play with it that counts", she said.

:D

meoveryouxinfinity
8/19/2010, 01:07 PM
It's not the girth of the football that matters, it's the throwing motion of the ocean.